PDA

View Full Version : My first night canvassing!

malkusm
01-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Hey guys - I went canvassing for the first time tonight and I figured I'd let you guys know how it went. Also, I'd really encourage others to do it. Believe me when I say that I'm a TERRIBLE public speaker and I'm usually VERY nervous when it comes to talking to strangers, but it's a lot easier than you might think.

I hit about 35 houses in 90 minutes, which doesn't sound like a lot, but I had to move my car multiple times (I had a list of the registered Republicans which was sorted by street - I did both sides of two pretty busy streets).

Of the 35 houses, 15 either nobody was home or they didn't answer the door. So I just left the slim jim next to the mailbox where they would see it and it couldn't blow away. 5 had never heard of Ron Paul before, so that really gave me a chance to state some of his major platforms (Constitutional government, strong on immigration, man of character, no income tax & restore the dollar).

My method was to ask the person "Are you planning on voting in the primary next month?" Then say, "well, what's the biggest issue for you in the election?" I got a lot of different responses on this: a lot said immigration, a couple said pro-life, a couple said education (they were teachers), etc. None said the war - so I didn't bring it up. If it comes down to, the person likes everything about Ron but the war, I figure it's best to convince them of EVERYTHING ELSE first, so that when they're about to support him and hear he's anti-war, they will at least hear the reasons why (as they can tell at that point that he's principled and intelligent).

The biggest thing here was, I met 2 or 3 people who said they would seriously consider voting for Dr. Paul. NOW HERE'S THE BEST PART. The transcript (more or less) of one of them follows:

Me: Hi sir, I was just wondering if you were planning on voting in next month's primary?

Him: Yes, I think so.

Me: Well, what's your biggest issue in this election?

Him: (long sigh) Well, I really feel like...(pause)...I'm a McCain supporter, basically. He's the only one who I've heard mention the Constitution. I'm really a Madisonian type Republican - I mean - I think the government needs to be cut back to the point where it was limited by the words of the Constituion.

Me: Really, have you heard of Ron Paul?

Him: Ron Paul? No, I don't think so.

Me: (hands slim jim) Well, you pretty much just recited his campaign platform word for word.

It thrilled me that I found someone who was so aligned with Ron Paul's political views, who had NEVER heard of him! If there's one in the first 35 houses I go to, there are others for sure. The point is, get out there and talk to people and spread awareness - some people are actually dejected and want someone with a message like this and a candidate they can believe in.

Xonox
01-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Wow, nice work!

Trigonx
01-07-2008, 08:18 PM
+99999999999999

thank you for your hardwork :)

StateofTrance
01-07-2008, 08:20 PM
May the force (and love) be with you. Stay strong!

wildflower
01-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Great job! :) Thank you!!

TNFreedom
01-07-2008, 08:22 PM
AWESOME!, You have inspired me to do the same. Thank you!

NYgs23
May sure you mention how much support he has. 10% in Iowa ahead of Giuliani, etc. They have to know that he can win and isn't just some nobody.

rollingpig
5 stars!

JAM824A
01-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Thank you.

amonasro
01-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Wow that doesn't sound too hard at all! Great job!

Indy Vidual
01-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Bump :)

manny
01-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Thank you for making the effort. Money, blimps, endorsements whatever are very important but will never beat people talking to strangers :)

malkusm
01-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Wow that doesn't sound too hard at all! Great job!

It's really really not. I was kind of worried that people would be upset about someone coming to their door, but the people who didn't want to talk just didn't come to the door, which was fine with me - I left them a slim jim anyway ;)

ronpaul.in
01-07-2008, 08:29 PM
You just convinced me, I will admit I was nervous and thinking about canvassing knowing how important this is to the election, the amount of people you can and most likely did effect was larger than you would expect. I spoke with my father this evening and though we have never talked politics before I decided to bring it up, we didn't talk about candidates but we talked about policies, what the government should be and what it is, ect. I brought Ron Paul up as the discussion required and I am confident once we have given someone reasons to support paul (whom they just haven't heard of due to the lack of media exposure) they will not only care about the election knowing that there is other options but they will hold true to RP throughout the election as they talk about him to other people and start to see him finally getting through to television.

Brian Bailey
01-07-2008, 08:33 PM
I hope you don't mind... I posted your story at The Paulunteer. I post things like this when I come across something worthy and this serves the dual purpose of helping my current effort to recruit Precinct Leaders.

http://www.paulunteer.com/ron-paul-supporters-in-their-own-words/supporter-my-first-night-canvassing/

icon124
01-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Good job...I've been doing the samething a little further northwest here in Baltimore...If we both continue the effort we could have all of MD with us! And i suck at public speaking too i hate it prolly more than u lol

malkusm
01-07-2008, 08:37 PM
I hope you don't mind... I posted your story at The Paulunteer. I post things like this when I come across something worthy and this serves the dual purpose of helping my current effort to recruit Precinct Leaders.

http://www.paulunteer.com/ron-paul-supporters-in-their-own-words/supporter-my-first-night-canvassing/

Nah I don't mind, anything that helps us get the word out and spreads the message and gets him votes, will get no argument from me.

Oh and I guess I should point out, there will be people who aren't going to agree with his message. So if they mention some belief that they have that is polar opposite of Ron's, just say, "Well, just look it over, his website is on there if you want to learn more." And get to the next house. I'm not saying give up too easily, but if you can't win, spend your time more wisely on someone who IS receptive to the message.

voytechs
01-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Sign up folks. We need captains badly and we're gonna win this thing, one voter at a time. Don't wait or hope for the TV blitz to do all the work. We have 4 weeks for a number of states to talk to many many different voters. I have 12,000 in my small river town alone. Only 600 in my precinct, but there are 20 precincts. So 19 more needed.

RonRules
01-07-2008, 08:38 PM
I've done 5 sign wavings, participated in 2 money bombs, bought 100 DVD's, did the phone thing for Iowa, South Carolina and California, just got totally splattered in paint while making 250 yard sign, but:

I had yet to start my neighborhood canvassing. Shame, shame.

I promise, I'm starting tomorrow, and i'll do it every day from here on.

(I remember promising something similar to an ex wife.)

John P Slevin
01-07-2008, 08:41 PM
...NOW HERE'S THE BEST PART. The transcript (more or less) of one of them follows:

Me: Hi sir, I was just wondering if you were planning on voting in next month's primary?

Him: Yes, I think so.

Me: Well, what's your biggest issue in this election?

Him: (long sigh) Well, I really feel like...(pause)...I'm a McCain supporter, basically. He's the only one who I've heard mention the Constitution. I'm really a Madisonian type Republican - I mean - I think the government needs to be cut back to the point where it was limited by the words of the Constituion.

Me: Really, have you heard of Ron Paul?

Him: Ron Paul? No, I don't think so.

Me: (hands slim jim) Well, you pretty much just recited his campaign platform word for word.

It thrilled me that I found someone who was so aligned with Ron Paul's political views, who had NEVER heard of him! If there's one in the first 35 houses I go to, there are others for sure. The point is, get out there and talk to people and spread awareness - some people are actually dejected and want someone with a message like this and a candidate they can believe in.

Thanks for your good work! Your numbers are typical for a canvass in the evening. You have it right, you are increasing awareness, and doing it in the way that is proven to be among the most powerful ways possible...direct voter contact.

Please keep it up.

RSLudlum
01-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Guys its nothing at all!!! It's just talking to another person?? I'm starting canvasing this week but i've been going to shopping centers and events handing out materials and talking about the campaign....have any of you gone and done sign waves?? Some may think we act like fools doing that but that doesnt stop you does it??

Sign up as a Precinct Captain, get your walking list, get your mat'ls (if you have some), and start knocking. If you just sit there on this forum you're proving what many of the media pundits have been saying all along "they're just a bunch of spammers". Make them eat their words by proving our shear numbers and enthusiasm equals more votes bc. we do hit the pavement!!!!!!

familydog
01-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Good job :D