PDA

View Full Version : This Forum is Becoming Rather Foul-Mouthed and Crude

Rintrah54
01-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Yes, I know I will probably get flamed and, ironically, probably cursed at, but its true. Now, I should note that in my personal life I cuss like a fricking sailor and actually am probably one of the crudest guys you might ever meet. I might have even let one slip in this forum, but I think that is a mistake.

I guess my problem is that this is the grassroots forum, and part of the heart some might say, of a presidential campaign we all care deeply for. All this passion lends itself to empassioned speech, which is starting to involve rather crude things being said(read Hannity threads). I guess the point is that it is part of the face we put forward to people who might be interested in helping Dr. Paul, and I have read some rather distastful things that will most likely turn more modest people off. Sure we are all adults here, and a mixed bag most assuredly. I hate Sean Hannity with a red-hot passion and have said things at home that would make the Devil himself blush.

But, for the betterment of the collective effort, do you guys think we could take that down a notch?

Flame away.

Drknows
01-07-2008, 07:01 PM
http://www.ugo.com/versus/images/characters/gallery_Steve_Stifler_1.jpg

longevity
01-07-2008, 07:06 PM
It's the interenet, one of the last places we can curse like sailors without reaping tons of flak from it. If this forum is a tool to covert folks to Ron Paul, we got much bigger problems than cursing. If it's a place for RP supporters though, I think some cursing is real, and better bonds those of us that need to use curse words to truly express how we feel.

I agree many are turned off by cursing. I also know that many (myself included) love to use curse words. Somewhere between those 2 points is a middle ground, the I believe this forum walks pretty well.

Remember in smaller societies and groups, humans actually resort to shoving and violence, rather quickly after harsh words. The fact that we can remain as tame as we are in spite of the grevious and multifarious greviences leveled upon us by the ignorant and the malicious media and others, is reassuring.

While discouraging cursing, see it's good.

RonPaulVolunteer
01-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Well, some people think the ability to cuss is freedom of speech instead of ineptness of speech...

icon124
01-07-2008, 07:11 PM
I think this forum is more for ppl that alread ARE RP supporters....not trying to jump on board really...I remember when I was still trying to figure out who RP was...i never came here...I only found this when I wanted to talk to other ppl about what they were doing for RP

Rintrah54
01-07-2008, 07:11 PM
Like I said...one of our biggest strengths is the fact that we are a mixed group. But I think with that comes a bit of responsiblity to respect eachothers views. I actually find a lot of the crude posts hilarious, but at the same time can see that they do damage.

All Im saying is maybe not naming threads "F*ck Fox".

Trust me...thats a sentiment I hold dearly, heheheh. Cursing is fine occasionaly, I agree, but its getting a little bit like a adolescent gaming forum in here on occasion.

mtmedlin
01-07-2008, 07:12 PM
How many of these threads do we need. try using the search button next time and realize that this thread will really not do anything. Kill it now or else it will be at 20 pages in no time with the same arguements.

speciallyblend
01-07-2008, 07:14 PM
well when you poke a dog,your bound to get barked at or bitten.. they are lucky they didnt have pitchforks;)

AFM
01-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Fuck your post

speciallyblend
01-07-2008, 07:15 PM
people are pissed off get over it;)

Rintrah54
01-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Fuck your post

Dude, what an obvious joke. I knew someone would go for it. Im just holding out hope that you are still in the 4th grade.

JustBcuz
I'm all FOR swearing...but only when it's appropriate.

Use swear words every sentence and they lose their impact. Their impact is what makes them fun & effective.

For the most part this place is pretty good about it (IMHO)...but I'm sure there are a few people who could probably tone it down a couple notches.

I also agree with keeping it out of the thread titles. Let's try and be at least somewhat respectful to those who don't like the foul language.

all just MHO of course

:)

Corydoras
Things have been much, much worse in the past. There was one thread that I remembered being so bad I had to go look at it again before posting in this thread. Yup, it WAS that bad. Much worse than what has been going on nowdays.

Not that things have been particularly nice in recent days around here.

Rintrah54
01-07-2008, 07:20 PM
people are pissed off get over it;)

Actually, if you bothered to read, I said I agree with the sentiments and curse frequently myself.

i guess I look at it like this.

Noone gets on a forum and says to themselves "Man, they just dont curse enough around here.......im outty".

The opposite is not true.

AFM
Dude, what an obvious joke. I knew someone would go for it. Im just holding out hope that you are still in the 4th grade.

That would not be conducive to RP's bid

Indy Vidual
Congressman Ron Paul: Archives (http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul-arch.html) (Dr. Ron Paul in his own words and brilliant writings)
````````````````

Ron Paul Fan
We should work for change by setting a good example ourselves instead of trying to force your goodness on people like the neo-cons preach. Others will see you setting a good example and they'll want to emulate you.

Danny Molina
01-07-2008, 07:23 PM
You obviously haven't been here that long. It has always been this way. :D

angrydragon
The admin here could easily implement a rule or filter for profanity. Curbing/starring the profanity is not going to curb your free speech.

Rintrah54
That would not be conducive to RP's bid

Now thats pretty funny. Good show.:D

longevity
01-07-2008, 07:25 PM
I think the orig posters post is good because if we curse as little as we need to, it widens our appeal to visitors. I'd phrase it that way, instead of personal offence, then peopel would be more likely to do it :)

mconder
01-07-2008, 07:25 PM
It's the interenet, one of the last places we can curse like sailors without reaping tons of flak from it.

I guess you only intend to convert the cursing type to RP, because a lot of non cursing people won't give this forum the time of day because of the filth on some of the posts here. Luckily, I was already converted. RP attracts people from all walks of life. Unfortunately, there are many amoral people attracted to freedom and make it difficult to connect to the moral half of the population.

Rebel Resource
01-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Freedom of language = freedom of emotion

I favour using a single * or mispelling myself, however.

Troyhand
01-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Theoretical question: Is type-swearing as bad as speak-swearing?
The impact of cursing when talking is apparent because the bad sounds physically travel out of my mouth (along with my bad breath) to be received uninvited into the ears (and nose) of those within range. This causes a sensory reaction that can be physically offensive to the recipient.
Type-swearing, however, are assembled letters creating unseemly words which the viewer takes in through the eyes to be emotionally reacted to by the imagination of that viewer. If I were to type "Ahhh. Go F*@k yerself, you no-good @&@ks*@king muthaf*@cka!", the impact of these typewritten words would become less offensive then their original intent because of the cutsieness involved with the replaced symbols. So which is more offensive? The intent or the typewritten words?
Is the physical spoken word worse than the ethereal typed word? Or is it the intent that matters in either case?

shadow26
01-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Freedom of language = freedom of emotion

I favour using a single * or mispelling myself, however.

FOX's Brit Hume complained about "freezing his dick off" last night...the world didn't end.:rolleyes: