PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Mardi Gras Beads

btwilli1
01-07-2008, 06:27 PM
The New Orleans meetup has been talking about possibly getting some Ron Paul beads made up. I have taken up the challenge along with a fellow supporter who has a connection with the bead makers in china.

These are high quality hand painted beads. The medallion part is a hard durable plastic, not cheap flimsy stuff. I'll have to get back to you on the exact material used to make up the medallion part. Look below for a sample of what my partner in this has done with his company. Everything is at cost.

We are working on a mock-up, we were thinking Ron Paul's head outline and Ron Paul '08.

We are still working on getting a hard quote for the per bead price.
Rough estimate places a bead at $1.25 and $1 to ship it in time. If we would have had this brilliant idea awhile ago we could have shipped it by boat, but that takes 70 days or so and is not possible.

Each bead will cost about $2.25.

Our idea is to have these things shipped to meet-up groups for super tuesday, and also have a huge amount for us to give out on Mardi Gras day (our primary is Feb 9th).

The minimum order is 2500 beads (17 gross of beads, 144 beads to a gross). We would like to have 2500 beads or so for mardi gras. We would ship them out by the gross to meet-up organizers. I have no idea what shipping would be on a gross but we are working out all the numbers. To get a gross for your meet-up the beads would be at cost, and the cost of shipping. Just throwing a number out $400 for a gross of beads to a meetup with shipping.

On the flip side we need to raise money for our mardi gras bead effort for mardi gras. I was thinking we could sell the beads individually for $15 or so dollars shipped. The cost of this would probably raise each shipped bead to $5 with transaction fees and shipping. This would leave 10 dollars to go towards the beads for mardi gras for us to hand out. Any extra money will go towards ordering more beads.

Of course this needs to be done soon. The last day we could order these would probably be Jan 14. We would set this effort up under google checkout and paypal. Once we reach enough for 2500 we'll get the ordering started.

What do you guys think? With Mardi Gras being the same day as Super Tuesday I think it is a great idea. Give them to your local media outlets to have them tout Ron Paul (nothing wrong with bribes). Plus it will make a great collectible. You could probably ebay it for $30 after he wins the election =).

Give me all your thoughts and ideas. I am also going to post this on dailypaul. Are there any other places you guys would post this? I am trying to judge interest.

The type of stuff his company produces looks like this
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k253/btwilli1/bead.jpg

btwilli1
01-07-2008, 06:32 PM
This is the design we were thinking of using, we can have 3 colors
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k253/btwilli1/support.jpg

xflashjr
01-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Come on yall lets jump on this, I am helping with this project and Right now time is of the essence!

btwilli1
01-07-2008, 09:29 PM
bump? nobody likes the idea?

literatim
01-07-2008, 09:30 PM
No, I don't like the idea.

Nyte
01-07-2008, 09:36 PM
hmmm....

tits for paul

It does have a certain ring to it.

btwilli1
01-07-2008, 09:41 PM
It's not about the tits, why does everybody say that. It's a huge promotional tool, that lots of different companies use.

Matt Collins
01-07-2008, 10:28 PM
It's not about the tits, why does everybody say that. Let's see... hmm you do have a point. Since Ron was an OB/GYN "bush beads" would be more appropriate..... :D Boy do I miss going to Mardi Gras

btwilli1
01-07-2008, 10:37 PM
LOL that's a good one. I'm talking about Paul beads seriously =)

Should I use the lack of response here and at dailypaul as a bellweather for everyone else's opinion? Are there any other ronpaul places on the web we could ask?

We need to do it soon, you guys think I should make the site and everything. Sort of an if you build it they will come type thing?

tsetsefly
01-07-2008, 10:39 PM
its a good idea, anything that promotes Ron Paul and includes tits is a ok!

hueylong
01-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Beads from China? Uhh... no.

btwilli1
01-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Just don't let the kids gnaw on it ha ha

That is where all mardi gras beads are made. Dr. Paul says we should trade and be peaceful.

jenninlouisiana
01-07-2008, 10:45 PM
I grew up in New Orleans and I have to say those beads look too nice to throw ar Mardi Gras. No offense... just giving you my first impression.

btwilli1
01-07-2008, 10:51 PM
We are not throwing them. The plan is to get a bunch of super tuesday meetups involved have them buy a gross to wear and distribute to would be voters. Then we sell individual ones as souvenirs to support buying several grosses for our meetup to hand out as we canvas the parade route.

Plus the nation will be excited about super tuesday and everybody will know its mardi gras. If we can order the beads soon enough, like end of the week, the meetups could sign up to have a gross delivered to them. It would make getting out the vote that much cooler. What candidate has their own mardi gras beads.

pcosmar
01-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Not a bad Idea, anything that spreads his name and message(hopefully).
I lived in Key West for years, Fantasy Fest is a similar event.
Lots of promotions.
It could work in New Orleans.

Matt Collins
01-07-2008, 11:13 PM
I lived in Key West for yearsLucky... I'd spend all my time diving if I lived there.

Fantasy Fest is a similar event.FF is insane... :eek:

hummtide
01-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Ooh Ooh I Want Ron Paul Moon Pies And Ron Paul Coconuts!

Matt Collins
01-07-2008, 11:20 PM

You mean like this?

WARNING: NSFW
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n277/sonicspike/RonPaulBumperSticker.gif

Avalon
01-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Matt, are you trying to offend people? Get people in trouble at work tomorrow?

StateofTrance
01-07-2008, 11:25 PM
As long as people are interested in buying it ...Not a bad idea IMO.

btwilli1
01-07-2008, 11:37 PM
I'm sending the idea to the Meetup Alliance coordinator.

Luft97
01-07-2008, 11:51 PM
I have taken up the challenge along with a fellow supporter who has a connection with the bead makers in china.

I like the idea of Mardi Gras beads but I think you should try and seek out a bead maker here in the United States.

I would hate to see photos of the beads on the MSM with a Made in China stamp somewhere on them.

If you buy anything hats shirts etc from the campaign you will notice that ALL of them are made in the USA I think if you are going to go ahead with this idea you should do the same... My 2c...

btwilli1
01-08-2008, 12:13 AM
All beads are made in China, I am going to have to talk to XFlashJR about it. Is it a serious deal killer you think?

Luft97
01-08-2008, 12:20 AM
Here is a link to a site that makes Mardi Gras Plastic Medallion Beads in the USA. Just a thought.

http://www.amsnovelty.com/plastic_med.htm

xflashjr
01-08-2008, 12:33 AM
I personally know the 4 main companies locally that buy mardi gras beads and they are ALL bought in china. EVERY major crew buys in bulk from china. China is not our enemy at all, crap I would say 75% of the items in your house were made or have parts from china made in them!

Either way the type of beads we are working with are hand made pieces individually painted. I do not know of any company in the states that makes this type of item. I deffintly believe tthis is something that will help spread the message. I have sold alot of custom beads for conventions and organizations nationwide and the amount of attention they draw is amazing. Especilly with all of the recent sports beads that have been made recently we could get the beads to go viral!

Image on feb 5th (mardi gras day) we could send the majority of the major news stations a ron paul media set with custom ron paul beads. I will almost guarentee we would recieve some mention of the beads in a news outlet. Any news on super tuesday is an added benifit!

At the very least I am almost positve we would have local coverage and with the louisiana primary coming up on febuary 9th it would certinally paint a good picture of DR. Paul!

btwilli1
01-08-2008, 12:35 AM
Pauldigras!

xflashjr
01-08-2008, 12:54 AM
ok yall, I am willing to put the man hours in to try and make this happen in such short notice. The intial cost is not incredibly high but is high enough were it would be nice to have it offset by more then a few.

1) Imagine on mardi gras day campaigning for ron paul with custom mardi gras ron paul beads!

2) Imagine the media mentioning mardi gras (they always do) and then having it tie in on super tuesday (same day!) to politics and the AMAZING ron paul supporters.

3) I am willing to help with a press release and get hundreds of packets shipped to media outlets with a bead or too. In addition to meetup groups using the beads to promote this will give us alot of media coverage.

4) Even if only one or two stations or newspaper outlets pick up the story the amount of media attention on super tuesday this will garner will be WELL above the intial price point of 2500 beads

I know we have tried multiple ways to promote our good DR, I am just trying to think of even more imaginitive and creative ways to tie it in to a major holiday!

btwilli1
01-08-2008, 01:05 AM
What should our site be called?

pauldigras.com?

ronpaulbeads.com

supertuesdaygras.com

and what do you guys think the bead should look like

We have the I Support RON Paul idea (from a tshirt design) on the first page of this thread.

Ron Paul
for President with an '08 next to his head.

Corydoras
01-08-2008, 02:03 AM
I do not know of anyone in my highly populated region who observes Mardi Gras. Anybody who walked around on Shrove Tuesday wearing one of those would look like a freak, no offense intended.

Possibly you are not getting a ton of response because people don't know anything about these beads except that they have something to do with Mardi Gras in Louisiana.

I know that there are fine points of quality and make that completely elude me because I've seen maybe one or two Mardi Gras necklaces before and I read an article about them once that said people in Louisiana are very sophisticated about them. Probably there are a lot of other people who don't know what quality and meaning are in terms of these necklaces.

Sorry to be completely dumb about this, but it seems like one of those very regional things that have incredibly complicated nuances and status that outsiders don't understand, like Hawaiian gold bracelets, that cost money that people in other parts of the country wouldn't dream of spending on them.

jcbraithwaite7
01-08-2008, 02:17 AM
I had an idea to get air fresheners printed with info on Dr Paul and the tagline "A breath of fresh air in Washington" People toss flyers but keep something that has a function..and matches their bumpersticker. :)

btwilli1
01-08-2008, 02:18 AM
Mardi Gras parades in New Orleans and surrounding areas (and Mobile, AL) have floats just like every other parade in the country. We jazz it up, by having throws! Throws are things like plastic cups, stuffed animals, cheap cheap plastic beads, to expensive classy looking beads.

The beads aren't something you would wear everyday, just Super Tuesday. Which just so happens to coincide with Mardi Gras, a lot of people look to Mardi Gras as a great celebration in New Orleans, and it attracts hundreds of thousands of tourists every year. It's something everyone should experience. It's a lot of fun for the little tikes to the adults. Yes, and bourbon street. is a good time, but crazy crowded Mardi Gras day (I wouldn't suggest it). It's a good old fashioned party that has been going on for a hundred years!

This is a good article Mardi Gras Throws from National Geographic (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/02/0220_040220_mardigras.html)

btwilli1
01-08-2008, 02:19 AM
I had an idea to get air fresheners printed with info on Dr Paul and the tagline "A breath of fresh air in Washington" People toss flyers but keep something that has a function..and matches their bumpersticker. :)

Well run with it! Our idea sounds impossible, and has some skeptics but it's worth a shot. Dr. Paul definitely has the most unique and creative marketing schemes for his campaign, thanks to the grassroots no less. Doing a quick google search they have a company that'll do it for 39cents a piece!

Corydoras
01-08-2008, 02:57 AM
This is a good article Mardi Gras Throws from National Geographic (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/02/0220_040220_mardigras.html)

It sounds fun! But honestly, you have to be someone THERE who understands that it's a really NICE necklace, etc.

Where I live, it would just reinforce the notion of loony Ron Paul people.
:o

btwilli1
01-08-2008, 03:12 AM
Where do you live?

I have pitched the idea to the campaign, and the meetup alliance, and you guys. I am going to get everything set up in the next few days and hopefully we can raise enough money to canvas the parade route with ron paul beads. Hopefully a few Meet-up groups will like the idea.

XJr has probably helped several organizations out of state who have requested custom beads, we'll have to see what his opinion is. I think a custom Ron Paul bead wouldn't look cheesy. You'll have a lot of jealous McCain, and Huckacritter supporters saying "where's my beads."

My mother-in-law does a lot of keynote speeches and such at nursing conferences around the country and during parade season she brings some beads and people clear her out.

btwilli1
01-08-2008, 08:33 AM
bump for the morning crowd

btwilli1
01-08-2008, 09:11 AM
These are the options
A B C
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k253/btwilli1/ronpaulbead.jpg

AdoubleR
01-08-2008, 09:16 AM
If I was female I'd tatoo my bust RP08 and head for Mardi Gras!

Cyclone177
01-08-2008, 09:18 AM
This is a GREAT IDEA!! Go for it.

btwilli1
01-08-2008, 09:18 AM
You can still do that, you would want to spend most of your time on bourbon street. The ladies like to see a little chest as well I am sure.

xflashjr
01-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Ok yall,

I know since Brett and I are from New Orleans we have a great understanding of how the mardi gras beads work.

FOr the rest of the country every time you go to a large sporting event, nfl, mlb, nba game etc they have beads just like these for every fan out there. I am not saying go canvass door to door every day wearing beads but marketing gimiks are key to getting awareness.

I know WE WILL GET FREE AIRTIME ON SUPER TUESDAY (more so then we get already) from this. Mardi gras is mentioned on EVERY Major news channel at some point on the day and with the main focus being the elelctions that day a few newscasters would love to tie it in!

I hope we can raise the cash! Lets get some discussion on how we can raise the funds in a few days. We need about $5700 dollars just for the beads and probably and even $6000 to have enough money to cover the press release's and all of the shipping cost to media outlets!

A measily 6000 dollars would allow us to possibly get thousands upon thousands of media attention on one of the most important voting days in the country!

jahazii
01-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Yep im live in LA I think this would be a great idea

btwilli1
01-08-2008, 10:21 AM
So there a 3 prongs to this

Meet-up groups: Type your meetup group number and select your donation in $15 increments once it reaches enough to have a gross we start raising for another gross. If there isn't enough money for a gross ($400 or so) we'll ship individual beads to the person @ the individual price

Individual Bead Buyers: $15 dollars shipped for the beads, $5 for overhead, shipping and bead, $10 to support Beads for Mardi Gras and Beads for the Press

Strict Donation: Any amount to go towards spamming the media with a bead, a press release about mardi gras and Ron Paul supporters, and mention all sorts of good ron paul goings on super tuesday.

xflashjr
01-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Please check out the official site www.ronpaulbeads.com and I am also working on one official post as well.

DarkLaw
01-18-2008, 02:01 AM
bump - I donated.
Over 1 MILLION views by people sitting
around with nothing to do except drink and wait for the parade to start.

I go to Mardi Gras every year. This will be HUGE.
It will get his NAME out there in a town that NEEDS it!!

Fields
01-18-2008, 02:35 AM
Hey DarkLaw, were you down there during Katrina, as an officer?

CelestialRender
01-18-2008, 03:04 AM
I fear spending on Mardi Gras is wasting resources.

LA will already be decided before that (1/22), and the Super Tuesday tourists will get home too late to affect their local vote.

RollOn2day
01-18-2008, 07:29 AM
Pauligras Beads!

tommyzDad
01-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Let's see... hmm you do have a point. Since Ron was an OB/GYN "bush beads" would be more appropriate..... :D Boy do I miss going to Mardi Gras

I'm sure you do. ;)

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/4823/alchbb1fcfcj6.jpg

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/7192/titsbb283bdk2.jpg

Matt Collins
01-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Wow...reminds me of my college days... two years ago ;-)