PDA

View Full Version : Is Obama Breaking the Law?

Joe Knows
07-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Quick question. Is Obama breaking the law? Here is an article that states that Obama merchandise sales are being counted as campaign donations.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/17/us/politics/17obama.html?ei=5090&en=580de5f1c54fcc00&ex=1342324800&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=all

In my state the Republican Party used to sell Republican Items at fundraising events. It became a hassle for the amount of money raised because we were told by the state to apply for a tax number,do monthly reporting, and collect sales tax. A political campaign is not a non profit group. If they sell political knickknacks a campaign should pay the sales tax. While most candidates authorize a private company to sell, Obama's campaign sells direct. By selling the items direct, I would imagine that Obama comes under the sales tax rules in quite a few states. I do not think he has paid any sales tax.

I guess I will email Hillary and see what she says.:) :)

kylejack
07-19-2007, 07:16 PM
Hm, I would think campaign law would want merchandise sales counted. I mean yeah, a campaign could use it to show more small "donations" and make it look like grassroots support, but still, what use is a donation cap if more money can be funneled to the campaign through merchandise purchases? I'm surprised it isn't supposed to count as a donation. Anyway, none of this should be a crime, and its wrong of you to try to get him prosecuted for this. The real crime against humanity is that damned red text of yours.

angelatc
07-19-2007, 07:23 PM
If you want real action, try alerting the Chicago Sun Times and the Illinois Tax bureau.

jcbraithwaite7
07-19-2007, 07:34 PM
If he is allowed to do that then mark me down for a Ron Paul donation of $900 in t-shirts, bumper stickers, Liberty cards and balloons! Can we get a list from cafepress.com of all the people who purchased merchandise from them?

Joe Knows
07-21-2007, 03:51 PM
The real crime against humanity is that damned red text of yours.

What color would you prefer?:) :) ?

Dustancostine
07-21-2007, 03:56 PM
What color would you prefer?:) :) ?

Go for the Purple

specsaregood
07-21-2007, 04:53 PM
If he is allowed to do that then mark me down for a Ron Paul donation of $900 in t-shirts, bumper stickers, Liberty cards and balloons! Can we get a list from cafepress.com of all the people who purchased merchandise from them?

Along with your comment, read my thread here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=8307

I'll probably end up writing such an article, but would welcome any suggestions or links to merchants selling RP materials.