PDA

View Full Version : A tad bit miffed!

Whiskey_Pickle
01-07-2008, 04:50 PM
I was confronted today by my Union president. He asked me if I had been handing out Ron Paul flyers and "talking" politics to my brethren. I told him ; "yes sir I have" and he begins to let me know that OUR Union is supporting Edwards this year and I can't support anyone but Edwards if I wish to remain a "member in good standing" and that I can no longer be a Steward since I have a conflict of interest. Is this even legal? Can MY union dues be spent on a candidate that I dispise? C'mon, I know theres a lawyer out there somewhere

RonPaulVolunteer
01-07-2008, 04:54 PM
There's no way in God's green earth this can be legal... In fact, I would record your next conversation and get him to repeat it all and then give it to an attorney.

mavtek
01-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Yes, next time you see him please tell him to repeat all of that on camera. We'll make a DVD and you can distribute it to your fellow coworkers.

spacebetween
01-07-2008, 04:57 PM
That's why Unions get a bad rep, many times.

GROUP THINK!!

quickmike
01-07-2008, 04:57 PM
There's no way in God's green earth this can be legal... In fact, I would record your next conversation and get him to repeat it all and then give it to an attorney.

Its also illegal to record a conversation with someone without their knowledge unless its on your own property in some states. Make sure you can do this legally.

ladyliberty
01-07-2008, 04:59 PM
I would ask him to kindly put that in writing!

yongrel
01-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Ah, gotta love the Unions.

Is your state a closed shop, or a right-to-work state?

rollingpig
make sure you youtube it

Bison
Maybe you can just play him a little song. :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzU9FgNTYrU

Kilrain
01-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Collectivism rears its ugly head.

RonPaulVolunteer
01-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Its also illegal to record a conversation with someone without their knowledge unless its on your own property in some states. Make sure you can do this legally.

Most states have a one party rule, which requires the consent of at least one person being recorded.

Benaiah
01-07-2008, 05:04 PM
//

NoxTwilight
01-07-2008, 05:04 PM
I would SUPPOSE it would be a good idea to read your union "laws" or "rules" as that could be in there somewhere. If it isn't listed anywhere in your union membership documentation then I would make a big stink about it. If it is then I would make a big stink about it being in there in the first place BUT I don't know anything about unions but I am sure there are others on this board that do.

Might wanna change the topic title so unions people can respond .....

paulette
01-07-2008, 05:05 PM
We truly are being fought from all sides.

Jobarra
01-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Probably shouldn't do this, but it would be funny just to start yelling "SCAB! SCAB! SCAB!" and pointing at him.

Redcard
01-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Okay. Depending on what state you're in..

http://www.pimall.com/nais/n.tel.tape.law.html will show you the one and two party states.

You also would want to contact your Union's central office, as well, possibly, as your State's Department of Labor. They might be right about you distributing your pamphlets IN the union hall, but it sounds like a control of vote here , and that's illegal.

Note, you will lose your stewardship for this if you fight it no matter what.

Thomas Paine
01-07-2008, 05:12 PM
I was confronted today by my Union president. He asked me if I had been handing out Ron Paul flyers and "talking" politics to my brethren. I told him ; "yes sir I have" and he begins to let me know that OUR Union is supporting Edwards this year and I can't support anyone but Edwards if I wish to remain a "member in good standing" and that I can no longer be a Steward since I have a conflict of interest. Is this even legal? Can MY union dues be spent on a candidate that I dispise? C'mon, I know theres a lawyer out there somewhere

I am not a labor law expert. However, a recent U.S. Supreme Court decision, Davenport v. Washington Education Association upheld a state regulation prohibitin a public employee labor union from using a union member's dues for political activities not approved by that member. The key point is that the union in the foregoing case was a public employee union. Another key point is that there was a state regulation prohibiting the labor union's use of the political dues against the member's wishes. If the foregoing facts are present in your situation, then you may have a slam dunk argument against your Union President.

http://www.effwa.org/main/article.php?article_id=2069&number=56

jointhefightforfreedom
01-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Especially if you are in texas!

In Texas a recorded conversation is admissable evidence as long as one of the party's involved int he conversation is recording it!

BUST HIS ASS!!!!!!!!!

nimo
01-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Have a mini recorder on you at all times.

TwiLeXia
01-07-2008, 05:21 PM
It's definitely not allowed. Record the confrontation and post it up

drfarrington
01-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Keep handing out fliers and talking up Paul as if he didn't say anything.

If he brings it up again, tell him that you have a lawyer, and if he tries to intimidate you again, or if you are suddenly demoted or punished with no reasonable cause, you will take them to court and you will win. Cite that court case listed up a above.

The key point here is not to be "right," but appear to be right and strong and determined. Most likely, nothing will come of this because they'll avoid an incident if possible. Bad publicity is never good for unions.

Mike S.
01-07-2008, 05:28 PM
What you describe does not sound legal. You should do some subtle email correspondence with this fellow - you could get something in writing this way possibly without tipping him off that you are obtaining evidence.

Thurston Howell III
01-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Unions have been doing this for decades.
I'm surprised you didn't know that going in.

2young2vote
01-07-2008, 05:29 PM
The same thing is happening with my Grandfather. He wants small government with more freedom and less government control yet his union tells him to vote for the democrats so he does. Also he says Ron looks like a "crazy guy" when he sees him yet he agrees with near everything he has to say but he just doesn't realize it yet.