PDA

View Full Version : Crowd For Ron Paul Event (in Spartanburg) May Be Small - Article

Lois
07-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Oh, oh -- this doesn't sound so good --

Crowd for Ron Paul event may be small

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20070719/NEWS/707190334/1051/NEWS01

BLS
07-19-2007, 04:39 PM

Since when did we start letting the media dictate what's really going on???

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Did anyone down there post the ad on Craigslist? I lost track of the other thread.

Devil_rules_in_extremes
07-19-2007, 04:53 PM

What in the world is South Carolina thinking? They have one of the premier minds on Liberty and the Constitution visiting their state! That event should have been sold out already!!!

Nefertiti
07-19-2007, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't blame the media-it's that guy's fault for sending out an email with such a terrible subject line on it...

Texan4Life
07-19-2007, 05:02 PM
Actually it could work in our favor... Low expectations can be a good thing.

spacebetween
07-19-2007, 05:04 PM
Actually it could work in our favor... Low expectations can be a good thing.

...if those expectations are to be exceeded.

Anyone know anything for sure?

MsDoodahs
07-19-2007, 05:07 PM
I tried calling that number for RSVPs earlier today. It was the number for a lady...Alice or something? with the GOP in that area - she works for Beltram, I think.

Never did get an answer, though.

mika813
07-19-2007, 05:36 PM
Lois, Lois, Lois.... :-)
It's ok....People Lois is a fantastic soldier for the Cause!! But dear Lois, all is not lost! Joel sent me this too, and after digesting it I sent the following email to the author, Mr. Dalton, which I think shined a different light on the matter!!

Mr Dalton,
I read your article about the small number of people going to see Dr Paul in Spartanburg and the appearance it may have on his campaign as being small and unsupported. "Spartanburg County Republican Party Chairman Rick Beltram said if it looks that way, it's because it is that way." No Mr. Beltram, it is NOT that way, but feel free to delude yourself. When it was announced that Dr. Paul would go to SC to speak I was thrilled, but when I learned the proceeds would go to the Spartanburg GOP I pondered. My wife and I will be driving nearly 400 miles from central VA to attend the rally in Greenville for Dr. Paul and we made a conscious decision not to go to the GOP event simply because we DO NOT want to reward Mr. Beltram's ignorance (which started these events) with one cent of our money. Instead we will take the $50 dollars we would have paid to get into Spartanburg and donate it to the Paul campaign at the Greenville event. Knowing many of Dr. Paul's supporters as principled and thoughtful folks, I would suggest to you that the small attendance numbers in Spartanburg are a reflection on Mr. Beltram and not the good Doctor. I would ask you to come to Greenville and see the support for Dr. Paul for yourself, in person, and then judge.
Sincerely,
Trevor P-----a

Wyurm
07-19-2007, 06:35 PM
I do not live in that area anymore, however, if I still did, there is no way I would go to Mr. Beltram's fund-raiser. Yes I feel the need to support Dr. Paul, but I could not give money to a guy that is trying to use our passion to benefit himself. He's well aware of Dr. Paul's support, its greed that seems to be driving his "generosity". Instead, I would gladly attend the Greenville event and patronize the local businesses there. I would also send the local newspapers a letter to the editor letting them know why I had made that decision.

Now, I'm in no way suggesting you should do what I would do, but if you do something of this nature, it would be imperitive that you have a massive showing a Greenville.

Lois
07-19-2007, 06:46 PM
Hi Trevor,

Thanks for explaining this to me. I did over-react when I read the article, because I'm so used to reading about all the supporters and crowds for Ron Paul whenever he has an appearance. Now I understand the situation. Have a good time and don't forget to take your camera.

We'll expect a detailed report, so take notes :)

Lois

quickmike
07-19-2007, 07:25 PM
I do not live in that area anymore, however, if I still did, there is no way I would go to Mr. Beltram's fund-raiser. Yes I feel the need to support Dr. Paul, but I could not give money to a guy that is trying to use our passion to benefit himself. He's well aware of Dr. Paul's support, its greed that seems to be driving his "generosity". Instead, I would gladly attend the Greenville event and patronize the local businesses there. I would also send the local newspapers a letter to the editor letting them know why I had made that decision.

Now, I'm in no way suggesting you should do what I would do, but if you do something of this nature, it would be imperitive that you have a massive showing a Greenville.

I agree completely. Why give your money to that stooge? It would be better spent having a free event in the town instead. If I lived in SC I wouldnt pay the 35 either. Ron gets none of it anyway. Just think, thats about $8,000.00 spent to see him. They could have had a really nice party for 8 grand.

ladyjade3
07-19-2007, 08:14 PM
People! These little regional GOP orgs are exactly who we need to be courting right now. You catch more flies with honey. Give them your $25 and smile big while doing it. At least Rick Beltram is giving us a chance to change his mind. Think about it before you get all contentious. It is not us against them. WE are campaigning for THEIR vote as much as Ron Paul is. We can't do this alone folks. We need the base to start to see things the Ron Paul way.

I didn't know until a few hours ago that I even HAD to register. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of other people going didn't quite catch on to that either. I talked to Rick earlier. The room only holds 400, and they were up to 300 by the time I spoke with him. It will be sold out and standing room only, never fear.

But you gotta understand coalition building, and how to win in politics. It's not by getting huffy and alienating the establishment. It's by friendly persuasion. It's an art that many libertarians are not willing to learn.

I don't know about you, but I'm interesting in winning this time.

BuddyRey
07-19-2007, 08:18 PM
I didn't find out I had to RSVP by phone 'til after the deadline. My face is seriously RED tonight!

At least we've got the Greenville rally!!! :D

Joe Knows
07-19-2007, 08:19 PM
People! These little regional GOP orgs are exactly who we need to be courting right now. You catch more flies with honey. Give them your $25 and smile big while doing it. At least Rick Beltram is giving us a chance to change his mind. Think about it before you get all contentious. It is not us against them. WE are campaigning for THEIR vote as much as Ron Paul is. We can't do this alone folks. We need the base to start to see things the Ron Paul way.

I didn't know until a few hours ago that I even HAD to register. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of other people going didn't quite catch on to that either. I talked to Rick earlier. The room only holds 400, and they were up to 300 by the time I spoke with him. It will be sold out and standing room only, never fear.

But you gotta understand coalition building, and how to win in politics. It's not by getting huffy and alienating the establishment. It's by friendly persuasion. It's an art that many libertarians are not willing to learn.

Lady Jade is correct. Give them your money. Even though the money goes to the local GOP, they will not keep all the money. They have to pay for the venue. They have to pay to have the lunch catered. They have to pay to have the lunch served. They have to pay to clean up afterwards.

I have helped put on many events such as this and at $25 you are generally just charging for your expenses. You are not getting rich.

Let's fill it up.

TyTodd
07-19-2007, 08:33 PM
I just wanted to chime in here and add that it is petty not to support Dr. Paul in Spartanburg merely due to Beltram. We need to show Beltram, S.C., and the GOP that Congressman Paul has tangible, real world support, and the good Congressman Paul needs support in the luncheon and Q&A. I realize that Beltram's actions are frustrating, and that he is going to spin the luncheon in any way he can to marginalize Dr. Paul's support, but bypassing the event and promoting not attending plays into his hands. We should be galvanizing support to attend and promote Dr. Paul at the event AND show our support at the rally. We can't let pettiness or a silly tit-for-tat mantra get in the way of our goal: promoting Congressman Paul and his message. Regardless of how you feel about Beltram, getting to the event, generating press regarding the number of attendees , and getting our collective voices heard is much more important than making a stand against Beltram for the sake of $25.

Don't get me wrong, I think he is a schmuck, but we need schmucks and unfortunately he has some power in the region. He needs to hear Dr. Paul's message, needs to see / hear / feel his supporters, and he must be convinced that Congressman Paul is a viable candidate with real world followers. That is a tall order, and Beltram may never come around, but it will be impossible to spin this positively if we collectively handicap the event by encouraging others not to attend. I'm personally very excited about the event and think it will be a great opportunity to rock South Carolina!

quickmike
07-19-2007, 08:35 PM

Ok, you win................. this time:D

beermotor
07-19-2007, 08:59 PM

Since you guys all refuse to listen to me, will you at least listen to Rachel?

mika813
07-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Well, I told no one what to do, in so far as to attend or don't, and my wife and I will be getting to SC so we can show ourselves in support for Dr. Paul outside of the Spartanburg venue, so whatever, or whomever gathers to support Dr. Paul will have us counted in their numbers. I see this as a small battle in a greater war, that is why I asked Mr. Dalton to come and see us at Greenville, and if others can see their way to attend please do so, but I will not compromise my principles (as an anti-Repube) to let them make a dime off of me. Please don't let me stop anyone from acting out as they see fit, but respect my unwillingness to kiss ass for the sake of the “cause.” I believe it is principle that brings us all here tonight....right?

beermotor
07-19-2007, 09:07 PM
Well, I told no one what to do, in so far as to attend or don't, and my wife and I will be getting to SC so we can show ourselves in support for Dr. Paul outside of the Spartanburg venue, so whatever, or whomever gathers to support Dr. Paul will have us counted in their numbers. I see this as a small battle in a greater war, that is why I asked Mr. Dalton to come and see us at Greenville, and if others can see their way to attend please do so, but I will not compromise my principles (as an anti-Repube) to let them make a dime off of me. Please don't let me stop anyone from acting out as they see fit, but respect my unwillingness to kiss ass for the sake of the “cause.” I believe it is principle that brings us all here tonight....right?

Right. But you must understand, this is not "kissing ass" ... this is converting.

Jesus went to the lepers to preach, didn't he?

This is important. This is critical. This is our country. If we are to take it back, this is what we must do.

JosephTheLibertarian
07-19-2007, 09:08 PM
so.. there's a maximum of 400??

mika813
07-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Right. But you must understand, this is not "kissing ass" ... this is converting.

Jesus went to the lepers to preach, didn't he?

This is important. This is critical. This is our country. If we are to take it back, this is what we must do.

I am right, and no I do not have to understand that this is something other then what it is, to give them my money to prove something to Beltram or anyone else IS Ass Kissing, and I will do what I feel comfortable with, and without compromising my principles.

Are you going to attend? Lets meet, and shake hands, and discuss proactive things we can both be supportive of......and in respect of each others experiences that have formed our opinions. Look for me, I'll be a 40 yr. old in a wheelchair, and if need be I'll have on my VFW cap. Even easier, I'll have a RP r3OVLution sign/banner on the back of my chair.

LibertyEagle
07-19-2007, 10:13 PM

Well said, Rachel. We need these people's votes to win the Republican nomination. We have to bring MANY additional people on board Ron Paul's freedom train.

C'mon folks. Let's win this thing. :D

MsDoodahs
07-19-2007, 10:23 PM
I'm not willing to ask those who have strong opposition to the idea of handing money to Beltram to go against their beliefs.

If you DON'T have strong opposition, then by all means, pay the $ and get in there.

If you DO have strong opposition, be outside and/or at the rally in the neighboring town.

ALL shows of support are welcome.

ladyjade3
07-19-2007, 11:11 PM
I'm not willing to ask those who have strong opposition to the idea of handing money to Beltram to go against their beliefs.

If you DON'T have strong opposition, then by all means, pay the $ and get in there.

If you DO have strong opposition, be outside and/or at the rally in the neighboring town.

ALL shows of support are welcome.

Certainly, and its not worth US infighting over it. But let's have a discussion and look at things realistically, from all angles. I'm going to say my peace, the way I see it. Then I'll give you a hug later at the rally. See? I'm going to try to honey YOU up too. :)

RedStripe
07-19-2007, 11:18 PM

Totally agree. Making an impression on the local GOP is worth $25.

BLS
07-19-2007, 11:32 PM
OK, I'm gonna vent here a bit, and I may be out of line...

Why all the infighting?
If you don't agree, then don't go. Just send the money to RP HQ.

I personally would go, because I'd get a chance to support RP, and that alone could be worth more than the cost of admission. At least it won't count towards your $2300 cap.

People, my personal opinion is we need to get downright tough right now.
WE are the lonely voice in the crowd. WE are the ones who will ultimately help save our fellow American, although it appears that he/she is not interested in doing it themselves. WE are a chosen few, who all share one commonality and have all somehow ended up here, in the same place where we can share ideas, thoughts and passion.

My suggestion is try to remember 2 things.

1. We are ALL on the same team.
2. We are individuals and therefore NEED to be strong enough to make our own decisions and stand behind them 100% regardless of what others think. Principle itself is what Dr. Paul eminates from every pore. Emulate, regardless of what others think.

(gets off soapbox)

ronpaulhawaii
07-20-2007, 01:02 AM
I hope everyone who can goes

Razmear
07-20-2007, 03:21 AM
And don't forget to bring your canned goods!
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=7897

If you do not want to give your cash to the Spartanburg GOP, or if you just don't want to attend to there is more room for locals, please still show up outside the rally and help with the Spam Spartanburg Can Drive.

eb

JosephTheLibertarian
07-20-2007, 03:24 AM
There is a maximum of 400, huh?

Razmear
07-20-2007, 03:35 AM
If you do a Google Satalite of:
805 Spartan Blvd, Spartanburg, SC (The address of the GOP event)
You will see The Westgate Mall borders the parking lot of the Summit Point meeting center.
Perhaps we should plan some type of low key promotion targeting the mall goers?

eb

ronpaulhawaii
07-20-2007, 04:47 AM
Thanks Razmear, hadn't thought of that...

Visualizing is good:)

ladyjade3
07-20-2007, 08:54 AM
so.. there's a maximum of 400??

Yes, that is what Beltram told me. The room only holds 400. My response - Yikes, I'm afraid its going to be standing room only. A lot of us didn't know to register or how to. But we'll get you as much info as we can!

I hope I'm not wrong!

Santana28
07-20-2007, 09:16 AM
If you do a Google Satalite of:
805 Spartan Blvd, Spartanburg, SC (The address of the GOP event)
You will see The Westgate Mall borders the parking lot of the Summit Point meeting center.
Perhaps we should plan some type of low key promotion targeting the mall goers?

eb

hey... i work mall security in illinois. i can't speak for S. Carolina's rules, but generally malls are private property and soliciting of any kind if STRICTLY prohibited without prior approval of mall management. I know at our mall with our cameras and people driving around outside and such, we usually zoom in on people as soon as they start putting stuff out, and if they do it again after we've told them not to they end up coming back in handcuffs and being banned from the mall. not the kind of publicity you're looking for, i'm sure.

but my suggestions are this if you plan on targeting mall customers - if there are any "outer parcel" type stores/restaurants that are technically still on mall property, but not physically attatched to the main parking lot - you'll more than likely be able to get away with passing out literature there, so long as no one complains on you. waving huge ron paul banners, however, would get you noticed and kicked out pretty quickly i'm assuming :) also, putting signs and standing near the entries and exits, so long as they are out of view of the main property, is probably doable. and certainly the surrounding non-property area and across the street would be just fine.

you wouldn't want to tip security off to your intentions, but you could have someone possibly call mall management and find out exactly what there policies and procedures are and such. Heck, tell them you're a Romney staffer. LOL. who knows, they might see it as good publicity for the mall with the event going on down the road.

Anyways, just thought i'd point that out. Anyone is welcome to PM if they'd like further information ;)