PDA

View Full Version : Frank Luntz Explains His Mystery Man in the focus groups

Cleaner44
01-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Luntz Explains His Mystery Man
By Paul Kiel - January 7, 2008, 3:59PM

Right after last night's Republican Fox News debate, Frank Luntz appeared to demonstrate that, based on his focus group of New Hampshire Republicans, Mitt Romney was the big winner.

But as Josh pointed out, the group's unanimity of opinion and blind insistence on Romney's rout had a suspicious air to it.

Along those lines, a number of bloggers have pointed out that one man in the focus group actually appeared in a prior Luntz Fox News focus group four months prior. Both were gatherings in New Hampshire (at the same Manchester, New Hampshire restaurant, it appears) of approximately 30 New Hampshire voters -- according to the lead-in last night, Luntz's group were registered Republican undecideds. Although Luntz doesn't identify the man by name in both segments, he's easily identifiable through his appearance and voice -- either that, or he's got an identical twin.

While this isn't necessarily evidence that Luntz has used actors or plants in his segments, it "says there's something sloppy at best about his recruitment process, Mark Blumenthal, a veteran of the polling business and founder of Pollster.com, told me. "If you see a respondent show up twice, it's a sign of professional respondents leaking through."

But when I spoke to Luntz today, he said that he uses repeat participants by design. In a segment to air on Fox News tonight, he said, there should be a "bunch of people" who had been in prior focus groups, some of them participating as early as May of last year. "It allows me to see how people's opinion have changed over time," he explained. "I'm trying to isolate that moment that made the difference."

When asked about the charge that he'd used actors or plants, his already rapid speech accelerated: "That's ridiculous.... I'm sure that the person who said that doesn't have a PhD, probably doesn't have a masters, and doesn't know what they're talking about."

He's conducting a "study of human behavior" with his dial tests (a mechanism that registers viewers' moment by moment reaction) he said, not a traditional focus group. And if you "want to understand how people change their points of view, you have to ask them over time and multiple times. This is how social biologists do it. This is anthropology.... If you're goal is to study how opinions change over time, of course you've got to call them back."

Luntz said that he does pay polling participants, but when asked how much, said "it varies." When I offered that I understood that $50 is the industry norm, he said that he'd paid New Hampshire participants "a bit more than that." "You do what you can," he said, to screen out professional respondents.

And as far as Mitt Romney's rout last night goes, Luntz explained that Romney "has always been effective" at the format. He was actually quite pleased with how it went, but "the one problem we had was a couple hundred Ron Paul people outside, yelling and screaming." (Here's video of Luntz being beset by the angry Paul supporters last night, who were upset at his exclusion from the debate.)

Chuck, as Luntz identified the man in last night's Fox News segment, would seem to be a prime candidate for the study of shifting allegiances in this election. He appeared at about the 1:38 mark of last night's segment, which you can see here:

In the segment, Chuck was clearly on the Romney bandwagon, mostly, it seemed, because he could beat the Democratic nominee: “Romney comes across very clearly and concisely and I can see him being a viable opponent against the Democratic nominee. And I don’t see that coming from Huckabee or one of the other people.”

But when Chuck had his first star turn in a segment after a debate in September, he had a different opinion. John McCain was the one to beat Hillary Clinton, he said: "McCain is a respectable candidate, there's nothing wrong with him." You can see that here (Chuck shows up at around 3:44 mark):

And it's these sorts of changing opinions that has Luntz excited. Luntz called 2008 the "most undecided, most fluid" election he'd seen in his lifetime. "I'm so lucky I get to study it. People wait for 50 years to have an election like this." He said that he was in a prime position to reveal the crucial shifts, having conducted his dial tests at every single debate. "The stuff that I'm doing right now will become a book."

source: http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/005030.php

Chester Copperpot
01-07-2008, 04:06 PM
SO Frank is basically admitting that the people in his focus groups dont really HAVE any opinion to start with. FUck Frank AND Chuck.

SovereignMN
01-07-2008, 04:09 PM
So sick. This country is so sick.

sillvergirl
01-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Nobody needs a Ph.D. to see fraud and deception in action.

I have a doctorate, and I say F.L. is full of - - - - !!!!!!!!!!

LBennett76
01-07-2008, 04:19 PM
OK So he's not a just a guy polling some undecideds. He's actually running an experiment? They're not a focus group. They're a control group... lab rats. He's studying them and influencing them. That is NOT proper polling procedure. I think FAUX News ought to be questioned about this kind of technique in that it doesn't appear to be very ethical... especially if the people are unaware that what they're doing has nothing to do with what their actual opinion is. Does he tell them, "We don't really care about your opinion. We're just studying you and your behavior for the book I'm going to write." ??? Disgusting.

Sey.Naci
01-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Note that Luntz's BA was in History and his PhD was in Politics. Neither were in Psychology or Statistics, either of which you might expect for someone purportedly an expert in polling. He has, in fact, studied a field which includes how opinion is shaped and how governments rise and fall.

Also, agree with another poster wrt whether one needs a PhD in order to be able to identify BS when you see it. PhD's are often no more than a measure of someone who has learned how to play the academic game.

specsaregood
01-07-2008, 04:29 PM
"That's ridiculous.... I'm sure that the person who said that doesn't have a PhD, probably doesn't have a masters, and doesn't know what they're talking about."

Ohh, "respect me, I have degrees and you don't."
A degree does not make you automatically correct in an argument.

Perhaps I am just biased, I have met some truly stupid people with "degrees" and some of the most intelligent and successful people I have met gained most of their knowledge through self-education and the school of hard knocks.

ST0PandL00K
01-07-2008, 04:33 PM
So sick. This country is so sick.

+1

frasu
01-07-2008, 05:58 PM
if he wants his little "experiments" he shouldn't do it publicly... he is tempering with the results as he goes along...

why are experiments used as official polling? if he experiments, what the heck are his standards?

this is ridiculous, and they say that we are stacking the deck...

:mad:

all4one
01-07-2008, 06:08 PM
Let's not forget that he's paying those people!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

speciallyblend
01-07-2008, 06:12 PM
NH VOTERS ,hopefully will send luntz packing without a job,please NH VOTERS dont be sheep
VOTE RON PAUL

wildflower
01-07-2008, 06:12 PM
"That's ridiculous.... I'm sure that the person who said that doesn't have a PhD, probably doesn't have a masters, and doesn't know what they're talking about."

This guy is such a pompous, snooty ___.

hillertexas
01-07-2008, 06:17 PM
One question:
If what Frank says is true, why did he not come out and say it from the beginning...not just after he is "outed"?

RobotJaxxon
01-07-2008, 06:20 PM
He's conducting "social biology" experiments on national TV?!? WTF?

1. Disclose this to your viewing audience.

2. This appears to be junk science. Where is your control group? What is your hypothesis? What are you trying to prove? Or are you going on some sort of data fishing expidition?

3. This suffers from the same lack of professionalism that *SOME* people in the Intelligent Design community have. Keep your scientific battles and unverified theories in the scientific community. After a theory has been repeated over and over and over again and shown to be valid, THEN bring it to the general public. This holds for whether your audience is public school students or a national TV audience.

In otherwords, use your cute little boxes on groups watching cereal commercials or something for a few years, follow basic scientific principals, write papers to journals, wait for some masters students to verify your hypotheses.... then consider trying your boxes on a group of undecided voters BEHIND CLOSED DOORS (not on national TV).

Where are his degrees from? Wow.

courtney
01-07-2008, 06:31 PM
With all due respect, that Bullshit explanation by Frank is as full of it as Frank is. And I really do mean that with all due respect....

The fact of the matter is, which has been noted here, Mr. Luntz did not explain the fact that he was embarking upon some sort of "anthropology" study beforehand. No, what he did do, however, is lead the viewers to believe that he had assembled a group of random voters that had not made up their minds about the election -- just plain old random folks off the street who were willing to participate in a discussion post-debate.

If the whole thing was intending to represent a focus group of repeat individuals in order to track their evolving beliefs over time, then Frank would have explained as much to everyone watching his little staged routine. There's really nothing to hide in that scenario.

However, if he was staging a fake random focus group of individuals for the purposes of manipulating the results, then he would obviously keep that quite beforehand. And if that fact were uncovered later, then the whole "anthropology" explanation suddenly makes sense: it makes sense because it's a damned lie as lies don't have to make any sense....

courtney
01-07-2008, 06:33 PM
He's conducting "social biology" experiments on national TV?!? WTF?

1. Disclose this to your viewing audience.

2. This appears to be junk science. Where is your control group? What is your hypothesis? What are you trying to prove? Or are you going on some sort of data fishing expidition?

3. This suffers from the same lack of professionalism that *SOME* people in the Intelligent Design community have. Keep your scientific battles and unverified theories in the scientific community. After a theory has been repeated over and over and over again and shown to be valid, THEN bring it to the general public. This holds for whether your audience is public school students or a national TV audience.

In otherwords, use your cute little boxes on groups watching cereal commercials or something for a few years, follow basic scientific principals, write papers to journals, wait for some masters students to verify your hypotheses.... then consider trying your boxes on a group of undecided voters BEHIND CLOSED DOORS (not on national TV).

Where are his degrees from? Wow.

Yes, Junk Science -- but with a purpose in mind, I would say....

Great post by the way.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-07-2008, 06:47 PM
if he wants his little "experiments" he shouldn't do it publicly... he is tempering with the results as he goes along...

He's not tampering... These outcomes are straight out designed. I bet these people are getting paid way more than $50, as they can't all be too stupid to not know what's going on. And there wasn't just one repeat focus member. I've personally seen enough to convince me of at least 3, and probably 4. There's probably more than that.

BeFranklin
01-07-2008, 07:08 PM
He still hasn't owned up to it. He needs to do an apology on the air to his listeners. This piece here will reach almost none of his audience.

allyinoh
01-07-2008, 07:11 PM
SO Frank is basically admitting that the people in his focus groups dont really HAVE any opinion to start with. FUck Frank AND Chuck.

Yeah... he's saying, "I like seeing how people's opinions change.."

But he's duping Americans. That's not how he portrays it. He has never said anything about it being the same people...

Man, you're right F u Frank and Chuck. ;)

speciallyblend
01-07-2008, 07:59 PM
luntz is full of crap,can we call luntz a DINGLEBERRY?:)

weagle
01-07-2008, 08:24 PM
You notice that in the luntz group they all thought romney won the debate. So they must all agree with him and are going to vote for him. So tomorrow look for Romney to win with 100% of the vote. I mean this is a cross reference of NH residents.

nosebruise
01-07-2008, 08:26 PM
hahaha.

Dr.3D
01-07-2008, 08:38 PM
He likes to see how peoples opinions change.... hum... is that after he tells them what to say and pays them?

I have a Ph.D but what does that matter? Most anybody can spot a fake program after just watching a few, especially when they see the same 'undecided voters' in two of them.

He is just trying to wiggle out of the noose.

nosebruise
01-07-2008, 08:56 PM
anyone got the site to the guy who took the video who said he was gonna post a longer vid/follow up today?

wowabunga
01-07-2008, 09:48 PM
"It allows me to see how people's opinion have changed over time," he explained. "I'm trying to isolate that moment that made the difference."

Has he ever mentioned this before ??? Does he mention this in his sales literature or in his contract ??? I thinks he's full of it.

liberty_Forever
01-07-2008, 09:51 PM
see

http://chrisbrunner.com

for primary source information regarding Frank Luntz

mello
01-07-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm calling shenanigans!

If that was the case why is it only one guy? If Luntz was looking to see a shift in their beliefs throughout a period of time, reason would suggest that he would have more than one person back. I didn't notice any other people in the videos that looked like they were in both videos.

Didn't Luntz originally say during the debates that the groups were randomly selected of undecided individuals? Why didn't he say they were randomly chosen EXCEPT for Chuck because he wanted to study him over time.

Also it doesn't matter if Chuck favored Romney in one session & Mccain in another. All of the candidates neo-conservative beliefs are the same & inline with the Fox media machine. Ron Paul is the only true conservative with positions that are radically dangerous to Fox's status quo.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-08-2008, 03:41 AM
I'm calling shenanigans!

If that was the case why is it only one guy? If Luntz was looking to see a shift in their beliefs throughout a period of time, reason would suggest that he would have more than one person back. I didn't notice any other people in the videos that looked like they were in both videos.

There are at least 3, probably more. It's still a lie, or they would have mentioned that as a "feature" of the segment/program/focus group.

BeFranklin
01-08-2008, 04:48 AM
I was doing an experiment, I wanted to how NH voters opinions changed after being presented with a solid wall of opinion from a controlled focus group.

FYI: At my university, this would violate all ethics for scientific experiment.

Birdlady
01-08-2008, 06:55 AM
The fact that they actually responded means this grassroots movement is making a HUGE difference.

The fact that they are being paid and is an experiment of sorts needs disclosed before EACH broadcast. From what I have seen on TV, Fox makes it sound like these people are picked from the streets and have never seen Frank before in their lives (or at least very limited time).

However it sounds to me like he personally knows them all if he continues to invite them back. This guy's experiment is changing public opinion and he knows it!

Leslie Webb
01-08-2008, 07:01 AM
The next Fox debate is later this month in South Carolina. Let's see if we can get Luntz discredited and off the air by then.