PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul: Libertarian Bigot?

dmitchell
07-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Ron Paul: Libertarian Bigot? (http://www.affbrainwash.com/archives/022336.php)

Paul markets himself as an ideologically pure libertarian—a capital "L" libertarian of the sort that people who refuse to carry driver’s licenses or pay federal income taxes can admire. So committed to a strict interpretation of the constitution, he’s something of a caricature in a Congress full of big-spenders, earning the title "Dr. No" for voting against each and every federal spending bill. He supports unfettered free trade and a non-interventionist foreign policy. He supports the abolition of a variety of cabinet-level federal agencies. But, in actuality, Paul is a selective libertarian. On the issue of gay rights—a cause that intellectually consistent libertarians ought to support – Paul is no better than his socially conservative primary opponents like Sam Brownback or Tom Tancredo.

D. L. Mitchell — Jul. 19, 07 at 03:48 PM

Ron Paul expounded on "Don't ask, don't tell" policy at a Q&A during his recent visit to Google (available on YouTube). He said:

"Don't ask, don't tell doesn't sound all that bad to me because as an employer, I've never asked them [employees] anything and I don't want them to tell me anything."

"So I would say that everyone should be treated equally, and they [gays] shouldn't be discrimated against because of that alone. Which means that even though those words aren't offensive to me, that 'Don't ask, don't tell' don't sound so bad to me, I think the way it's enforced is bad. Because, literally, if somebody is a very, very good individual working for our military--and I met one just the other day in my office, who was a translator--and he was kicked out for really no good reason at all. I would want to change that, I don't support that interpretation."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCM_wQy4YVg

Patriot
07-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Where is this quote from?

Kuldebar
07-19-2007, 01:53 PM
Ya, the you're either "with us, or agin us" style.

Problem is, Ron paul actually doesn't describe himself as libertarian, other people do a lot though. He calls himself a constitutionalist. I used to style myself a libertarian and once was a big "L" card carrying type. But, I found that too many libertarians were becoming more attracted to debating their better angels on heads of pins then they were to the actual pursuit of liberty.

"Ron Paul isn't for open borders, OMG, what a tyrant, don't vote for him! In fact, don't vote, voting is aggression!"

Well, I am not ready to start shooting people yet, so, I think I will stick with the current civil process we have available.