PDA

View Full Version : L. Armstrong hosts Livestrong Presidential Cancer Forum in Iowa

Texan4Life
07-19-2007, 12:21 PM
I just read a brief article about it in the austin american statesman. It mentioned that so far T. Thompson, Brownback, and Huckabee, Edwards, and Richardson had been invited.

Was the DR. invited? Anyone know?

www.livestrong.org/forum

I tried to get the link for the austin american statesman online article, but the wanted me to sign up. If you guys want I could type the article or scan a copy if anyone knows of a good free image host.

I think RP could do pretty well at this... I wonder how long the cancer patient lines are in countries that have socialized health care? and are they using state-of-the-art equipment/treatments?

LibertyEagle
07-19-2007, 02:27 PM
http://www.statesman.com/news/content/region/legislature/stories/07/19/0719cancer.html

Armstrong dipping into presidential race, but not as a candidate
He's organizing cancer forums for candidates next month in Iowa.
By W. Gardner Selby
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Thursday, July 19, 2007

Fresh from winning legislative support for a Texas cancer research and prevention initiative, Lance Armstrong has leveled his sights on the 2008 presidential race — though not as a candidate.
The cycling champ and activist said Wednesday that he will hold presidential candidate forums on cancer in Iowa next month.
Five major candidates have accepted Armstrong's invitation in writing, an organizer said.

The Republicans are Tommy Thompson, the former governor of Wisconsin and past secretary of health and human services; Sen. Sam Brownback of Kansas; and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.

Democrats squared up are former U.S. Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina (whose wife, Elizabeth, has an incurable cancer) and Gov. Bill Richardson of New Mexico.
This spring, Armstrong coaxed Texas state lawmakers to send voters a proposal to issue bonds backing a $3 billion cancer research fund. The bond authorization will appear on November's ballot.

Armstrong, a survivor of testicular cancer and a seven-time winner of the Tour de France, says in a video message posted online that Americans should hear what the next president intends to do about cancer.

He says he hatched the forums to ensure that candidates "discuss the number one killer in this country, just like they would discuss war or terror or taxes.
"Whoever wants to be commander in chief ought to answer the cancer question."

Sean Mossman, spokesman for the LiveStrong Presidential Candidate Forum, said the meetings were not organized with specific policy goals in hand.
"We're fairly confident that with Lance and his standing, we're going to get specific and well thought-out ideas from these candidates," Mossman said. "The next step is to make them see (them) through."

Kim Ross, an Austin political consultant who specializes in health care issues, called the forums a good idea — at least for advocates for health care reform.

Ross, who has advised Edwards' campaign, said, "The more you can get candidates to compete with each other over any element of our badly fragmented health care system, that's good."

He suggested that health care might finally become an issue pivotal to voters, many of whom struggle to afford health insurance or to hold on to sufficient coverage.
Cancer, Ross said, "is becoming a politically salient issue. All of us, to some degree, know someone else who has survived or has died or is dying of cancer."

A worst-case scenario for the forums would be dull white papers to be shelved and forgotten, Ross said. Best case: The forums provoke the candidates to talk about the issue.
"Depending on the winner, it may generate a commitment that has some follow-through," he said.

The forums will be held in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The Democratic forum will occur from 10 a.m. to noon Aug. 27; the GOP gathering will be 10 a.m. to noon Aug. 28. Tickets to the forums, hosted by the Lance Armstrong Foundation, are free and can be obtained online at www.live strong.org/forum.
wgselby@statesman.com; 445-3644

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-19-2007, 02:50 PM
Surely they invited the only medical doctor in the race, right? How do we find out from the campaign without swamping their already busy office with email and calls? (In other words, don't email or call unless we can't find out another way.)

Texan4Life
07-19-2007, 04:58 PM
Thanks for posting the article LE.

TurtleBurger
07-19-2007, 05:15 PM
I doubt Lance is interested in Ron Paul's take on the issue. He's probably only interested to find out who will divert the most taxpayer dollars to the cause.

jcbraithwaite7
07-19-2007, 05:33 PM
The Department of Defense budget supports tons of breast cancer research so they may really go after Dr. Paul if they feel he would cut that. However, I feel this could be a great way to showcase his idea of letting cancer patients and their families opt out of Social Security. Ron Paul needs some time to highlight his ideas to reform healthcare and the evils of socialized medicine. I think he should expose COBRA for the joke that it is. If you are a cancer patient you thank God if you have insurance and PRAY for socialized medicine if you don't have insurance. He can also highlight the burden of illegal aliens on the healthcare system and that is why those of us with insurance get charged the max so the hospitals can make up the difference.

This could be a totally healthcare centered debate and Dr. Paul is so articulate in educating the masses that this could be a shining moment for him... and an eyeopener for anyone who thinks socialized medicine sounds good.

jjschless
07-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Heh I would love to see Dr. Paul up against Edwards in any kind of forum. Can you say OWNED!

goldenequity
07-23-2007, 02:42 AM
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/07/20/ap3937397.html (http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/07/20/ap3937397.html)

"For me personally, it's just to make sure that whatever candidates we have now, and then ultimately the two who want to be president, discuss the No. 1 killer in this country, just like they would discuss war or terror or taxes," Armstrong said in a video statement on his foundation Web site.

Organizers said every announced presidential candidate and all-but-declared Fred Thompson, a Republican, have been invited. Five have accepted so far.

Mossman said the five who have confirmed attendance include Democrats John Edwards, a former North Carolina senator whose wife Elizabeth is battling breast cancer that spread to bone, and Gov. Bill Richardson of New Mexico. The Republicans are Tommy Thompson, former governor of Wisconsin and former head of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.

"We feel very confident there will be more candidates coming on," Mossman said.

The forums are scheduled for Aug. 27 for Democrats with the Republicans the next day.

JosephTheLibertarian
07-23-2007, 03:51 AM
Why hasn't Dr. Paul accepted?

goldenequity
07-23-2007, 01:14 PM
I am not sure and am wondering the same question.

I understand the issues but it's not something Ron needs to shy away from.

It's the same answer as always:

Free markets can handle Cancer research better than Central Economic Planning.

Plus it's another chance for Iowa exposure.

JoshLowry
07-23-2007, 01:48 PM
I emailed Andrew Michel, he is the Events Coordinator for the campaign.

Dr. Paul has been invited and they are still looking at their schedule to decide if he will be able to attend.

Texan4Life
07-23-2007, 10:32 PM
I emailed Andrew Michel, he is the Events Coordinator for the campaign.

Dr. Paul has been invited and they are still looking at their schedule to decide if he will be able to attend.

Cool, I hope he will be able to go!

I wonder how many fans Lance has? And like someone said in an earlier post, it's in IOWA.

LibertyEagle
07-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Thanks, Josh. At least we know that they know about it.