PDA

View Full Version : Get over it - The Government shouldnt be involved

Rangeley
01-07-2008, 09:45 AM
I really, really dont understand why so many people are trying to get the FCC - the government - to intervene on our behalf against Fox News. We beleive in freedom of speech, and as a station Fox can, and should be able to choose whatever they want to put on the air. Even if they wanted to exclude everyone but Rudy Giuliani, so be it. The government isnt the nanny that comes in and tells them to play fair, they have a right to do what they want.

The consequences of doing something like this would be the alienation of people, and by a consequence, lower ratings. If you want to hurt them, hurt them through the free market and do not watch them, dont support their sponsors, send them messages complaining, report this to other news outlets, etc. But get the FCC on them? What are we, statists?

kushaze
01-07-2008, 09:46 AM
I haven't contacted the FCC. I just harass Fox all day. I got freedom of speech to.

Rangeley
01-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Of course you do, and that is another venue you can use. My issue isnt with people who are unhappy about this - I am unhappy about this. But how can any of us seriously think the government should intervene when this is the opposite of everything Ron Paul stands for? Theres a reason hes not trying to get the government to step in, he doesnt beleive they should and neither should we.

Deborah K
01-07-2008, 09:51 AM
That isn't effective. If you're passive about the way you handle something this important - you will have absolutely no effect.

This is the Ron Paul Revolution. Our response to the treatment of Ron Paul by Fox News can be considered as a modern day battle. Aggressive tactics are sometimes necessary. Not violence, but aggressive measures. Always think back to the first revolution. Our founders weren't pansies and we can't be either.

Rangeley
01-07-2008, 09:57 AM
So you are saying that crawling to the government is the most effective way to deal with this? Not only is it not effective, but its completely in conflict with Ron Paul's stance that the government should not be involved in these things.

As I said, there are ways to deal with this, but for anyone who is trying to drag the government into this as if it was a nanny, get over it, they wont, and shouldnt.

ceakins
01-07-2008, 09:58 AM
I really, really dont understand why so many people are trying to get the FCC - the government - to intervene on our behalf against Fox News. We beleive in freedom of speech, and as a station Fox can, and should be able to choose whatever they want to put on the air. Even if they wanted to exclude everyone but Rudy Giuliani, so be it. The government isnt the nanny that comes in and tells them to play fair, they have a right to do what they want.

The consequences of doing something like this would be the alienation of people, and by a consequence, lower ratings. If you want to hurt them, hurt them through the free market and do not watch them, dont support their sponsors, etc. But get the FCC on them? What are we, statists?

They don't have this right, we the public own the airwaves and grant commercial entities the right to broadcast with certain rules. Using this logic than I should be able to transmit my own station on the same frequencies as fox. I can't. So yes the FCC needs to be involved.

ceakins
01-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Of course you do, and that is another venue you can use. My issue isnt with people who are unhappy about this - I am unhappy about this. But how can any of us seriously think the government should intervene when this is the opposite of everything Ron Paul stands for? Theres a reason hes not trying to get the government to step in, he doesnt beleive they should and neither should we.

Then I should be able to legally run a pirate TV station.

Rangeley
01-07-2008, 10:03 AM
I do not believe Fox News broadcasts over the airwaves. They are a cable news station. They get on cable by signing onto packages provided by private cable companies.

dannno
01-07-2008, 10:09 AM
We all know that the most fair market is a free and open market.

The FEC and the FCC make their rules in order that the government might at least enact "fair" regulation, and I think we have every right to hold them to it... despite the fact that we are opposed to the system..

ceakins
01-07-2008, 10:09 AM
I do not believe Fox News broadcasts over the airwaves. They are a cable news station. They get on cable by signing onto packages provided by private cable companies.

Do you really think they run a big cable to all the cable providers in the nation? They send an uplink to a satellite where cable companies get what is called a "feed" the downlink portion. So yes they do broadcast. They also broadcast from remote areas when doing live feeds not in the studio, again using uplink trucks. Look at the trucks and the big tower that telescopes out of the truck sometime. They still need a license to do that.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-07-2008, 10:21 AM
I really, really dont understand why so many people are trying to get the FCC - the government - to intervene on our behalf against Fox News.

I just expect them to stop calling themselves media, news, and journalists. They are none of those things, and the product that they're selling is a fraud. We don't allow people and companies to commit fraud.

If they want to say... "Welcome to Fox News, We're Giant Asshats," then that will be fine and they can go on about their crap.

I don't really want the FCC or FEC to do anything, and I'm 100% certain they won't do anything anyway. That type of lawsuit is just a publicity thing.

VIDEODROME
01-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Okay when I think about government intervention in a case like this it reminds me of The Fairness Doctrine. Do we really want to return to that kind of government involvement in news?

Do Ron Paul supporters want a Fairness Doctrine? Might as well switch to Kucinich then.

Sure as of now FOX of their own free will is just a shill for the Bush administration but I think a side effect of pressuring the FCC to get more involved in regulating the News could affect the entire industry. I mean really if the FCC started pushing around FOX News and fining them they wouldn't stop there. They would then turn to CNN seeing if they can fine them to.

Deborah K
01-07-2008, 10:32 AM
So you are saying that crawling to the government is the most effective way to deal with this? Not only is it not effective, but its completely in conflict with Ron Paul's stance that the government should not be involved in these things.

As I said, there are ways to deal with this, but for anyone who is trying to drag the government into this as if it was a nanny, get over it, they wont, and shouldnt.

Crawlling? Nanny? Talk about jumping to conclusions!

Petitioning a TAX FUNDED entity about a potential misuse of the airwaves is our right. We should take out all of the stops and utilize every avenue. Saying that RP wouldn't go for this is nonsense. What about the revenues he earmarked for his district even though he is against it? He did it because sometimes it's necessary to go against your position on something in order to advance a long term goal.

Deborah K
01-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Okay when I think about government intervention in a case like this it reminds me of The Fairness Doctrine. Do we really want to return to that kind of government involvement in news?

Do Ron Paul supporters want a Fairness Doctrine? Might as well switch to Kucinich then.

Sure as of now FOX of their own free will is just a shill for the Bush administration but I think a side effect of pressuring the FCC to get more involved in regulating the News could affect the entire industry. I mean really if the FCC started pushing around FOX News and fining them they wouldn't stop there. They would then turn to CNN seeing if they can fine them to.

They are sooooo much more than just a shill. Do some research into the 6 corporations who own the media. See what other pies they have their fingers in. Those who own the media control the political process.

VIDEODROME
01-07-2008, 11:26 AM
What I'm saying is that they are not like a state controlled news agency. They are doing it on their own.

Deborah K
01-07-2008, 11:35 AM
They (Fox) are controlled by the elitists who also control the political process and are deeply enmeshed with the CFR.

Here's an interesting program that goes into how and when the media became ...shall we say....LESS than a free press.

Enjoy....http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7065177340464808778&q=federal+reserve