PDA

View Full Version : Crowd for Ron Paul event may be small

mport1
07-19-2007, 10:14 AM
http://www.goupstate.com/article/20070719/NEWS/707190334/1051/NEWS01

This is not good. We cannot lose momentum. Everybody who can be there should try to do it.

"Concerned that only 225 people had registered for Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul's Saturday appearance in Spartanburg, Chris Lawton of Greer wanted to rev up the "revolution."

Trying to fill center

Lawton sent an e-mail - with the subject line "Embarrassing Situation - I Need Your Help" - to Paul supporters urging them to fill the Summit Pointe Meeting and Events Center for the $25-per-person event scheduled for noon Saturday.

"I'm happy with what we've got so far," Lawton said. "But I wanted to rattle the cage of the 225 people who've already (registered) and encourage them to each bring two or three more people so we'll be overflowing."

The e-mail slightly rattled the Paul campaign, Lawton said.

"They told me it might look like we're not doing so well," he said.

GOP chairman weighs in

Spartanburg County Republican Party Chairman Rick Beltram said if it looks that way, it's because it is that way.

Another 50 people registered on Wednesday, Beltram said. But of the 225 who had responded by Tuesday, about 80 were coming from out-of-state and another 70 were county residents who attend nearly every GOP function.

Beltram said that events held at Summit Pointe for John McCain and Mitt Romney each attracted more than 600 people - mostly from inside the state - and both cost more per person.

"I told the Paul people today that if you look at it as he's getting 1 percent in national polling, then this is a pretty good response," Beltram said. "If you believe he's doing much better than that, then these numbers should have been much higher. If it doesn't grow much, it tells me there are a small number of people on the Ron Paul bandwagon."

More expected in Greenville

Paul spokesman Jesse Benton said the Texas Congressman's campaign is pleased with the response.

"This is a wonderful opportunity to speak to 225 people, and Dr. Paul will be proud to come speak to them," Benton said.

Benton said he expects a larger turnout at a Paul rally in Greenville later Saturday. That event is free.

"I think that (the $25 price tag) has a little something to do with (the response for the Spartanburg luncheon)," Benton said.

Beltram said that barring a late rush, the numbers should raise some questions for the Paul campaign.

"We're going to follow through on our commitment and have a good event," Beltram said. "But why there is more smoke than fire is something his supporters will have to answer."

MozoVote
07-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Duplicate post.