PDA

View Full Version : Who stopped the Cambodian Genocide?

idiom
01-07-2008, 03:10 AM
After America left Vietnam, Vietnam rapidly rebuilt and then invaded Cambodia to stop Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge. Millions had been slaughtered.

Evenutally the U.N stepped in to manage the 'peace' afterwards. The peace keeping soliders are generally credited with creating the market for child prostitution which is now rampant.

This brings me to the next point, the greatest moral reason to secure America's borders is to stop human slavery. Slavery continues today. Sex trafficking is an area where the Federal government can step in effectively.

Imho RP should add the above points to his stump.

shasshas
01-07-2008, 03:18 AM
actually the sex industry helps guys learn what kind of girl is right for them. so i think it ought to be left in the hands of the states to decide.

as for overseas, i think if the us is going to go in there, then they should do it under or with the UN and go in with a UN set of rules to prevent sex trafficking if so decided.

JordanL
01-07-2008, 03:20 AM
actually the sex industry helps guys learn what kind of girl is right for them.

I think he was referring to a compulsory sex industry... as in abuction > ownership > sex.

literatim
01-07-2008, 03:21 AM
Wtf shasshasf?

shasshas
01-07-2008, 03:26 AM
oh! abduction.. nah thats a definite crime. sex slave trade? definitiely wrong, i think ron paul can emphasise this later in the campaign since this is a position all the candidates will follow.

literatim- theres some guys i meet who are crazy about sex and cannot think about anything else so instead of victimsiing some poor innocent girl they can go learn from some other experienced women that sex is very small in the scheme of things.

idiom
01-07-2008, 03:38 AM
It is a point to come back against racism charges.

It is a better use of our time than invading random countries.

If RP ends the drug war then Human slavery will become the number one organised crime in the world.

27 million people are slaves in the world today. Many are still bought and sold in the United States.

RP preaches freedom for all so this fits in neatly.

RPFTW!
01-07-2008, 03:53 AM
actually the sex industry helps guys learn what kind of girl is right for them. so i think it ought to be left in the hands of the states to decide.

lmao

idiom
01-07-2008, 04:56 AM
Also it might poll well with the women.

My original point was that Vietnam fixed Cambodia once we got out of the way.

Xonox
01-07-2008, 05:23 AM
War on slavery? Now that sounds constitutional!

idiom
01-07-2008, 05:38 AM
War on slavery? Now that sounds constitutional!

The Thirteenth Amendment
Passed by Congress January 31, 1865. Ratified December 6, 1865.

Section 1.
Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Oliver
01-07-2008, 05:40 AM
After America left Vietnam, Vietnam rapidly rebuilt and then invaded Cambodia to stop Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge. Millions had been slaughtered.

Evenutally the U.N stepped in to manage the 'peace' afterwards. The peace keeping soliders are generally credited with creating the market for child prostitution which is now rampant.

This brings me to the next point, the greatest moral reason to secure America's borders is to stop human slavery. Slavery continues today. Sex trafficking is an area where the Federal government can step in effectively.

We have a politics forum. Look it up!

ladyliberty
01-07-2008, 05:46 AM
Many of the people who come here illegally often end up as virtual slaves because the people they work for have threatened to expose them. So it is also an illegal immigration issue as well. Sex slavery is rampant in Florida and when they try to run away, they are caught and given big garish tattoos that identify them to other sex slave traders. It is the same for the yard workers and the housekeepers - they are a very bulnerable population. Some of them paid thousands of dollars to be smuggled into the country and the smugglers will hold their children captive until they come up with all the money. It is a very ugly situation.

free.alive
01-07-2008, 06:19 AM
Are you somewhat of a topic-nazi Oliver? Lighten up. People post here so stuff is seen. If it's really irrelevant, or generates no motivation for action, it seems to get moved by the mods. It'll be ok

idiom
01-07-2008, 09:22 AM
I posted it here, partly because the issues area is a bit of a backwater, but also as material for people out canvassing.

It is an expansion of the non-intervention story that I have found useful.

I would not object to it getting moved to the issues area though.

MRK
09-13-2013, 05:42 AM

I am baffled.

You claim that the centralized government of the UN stepped in to save Cambodia from Pol Pot, and then the UN created a problem of sex trafficking.

So your solution is to have another centralized government, the US government, step in and save Cambodia from sex trafficking?

The fallacy of government solving the problems of government comes full circle when you realize that the US stepped in to fund and save Pol Pot in order to promote more government in the region.

MrGoose
09-13-2013, 06:41 AM
I am baffled.

You claim that the centralized government of the UN stepped in to save Cambodia from Pol Pot, and then the UN created a problem of sex trafficking.

So your solution is to have another centralized government, the US government, step in and save Cambodia from sex trafficking?

The fallacy of government solving the problems of government comes full circle when you realize that the US stepped in to fund and save Pol Pot in order to promote more government in the region.
This thread is almost 6 years old!

fisharmor
09-13-2013, 07:04 AM

Yet it still makes zero sense.

Origanalist
09-13-2013, 07:15 AM
Yet it still makes zero sense.

So threads don't get wiser with time?

MRK
09-13-2013, 10:54 AM

The evolution of these forums since that time is pretty interesting now that I think about it.

I did some searching for the term 'Cambodia' and this was one of the threads that appeared. I saw it was interesting so I commented upon it :)

MrGoose
09-14-2013, 03:11 AM
The evolution of these forums since that time is pretty interesting now that I think about it.

I did some searching for the term 'Cambodia' and this was one of the threads that appeared. I saw it was interesting so I commented upon it :)That's obscure haha. Yeah it is fun to browse old forum threads to see exactly what the conversation was back then.

pcosmar
09-14-2013, 07:25 AM
I am baffled.

Holy thread necro Batman

NO,, That is NOT what he said.

After America left Vietnam, Vietnam rapidly rebuilt and then invaded Cambodia to stop Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge.

He said Vietnam invaded to stop Pol Pot.

and then the UN intervened.

The peace keeping soliders are generally credited with creating the market for child prostitution which is now rampant.

It did not sound to me like he was crediting the UN for saving Cambodia at all,, but rather with creating a problem.

idiom
09-14-2013, 02:54 PM
Wow....

Was like who is this dude who posted this.... he sounds really smart :P

http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/i-have-no-memory-of-this-place-gandalf-gif.gif

No, the US should be attending to trafficking in humans within its borders rather than worrying about drugs, was the general point. End the drug war and a massive amount of the channels and money for human trafficking evaporate. The war on drugs assists human trafficking.

Vietnam 'fixed' Cambodia when the US pulled out of Vietnam. Its an example of local problems getting better when the US minds its own business.

The UN has a *Massive* systematic problem with sex trafficking appearing wherever they intervene.

http://www.hks.harvard.edu/cchrp/isht/study_group/2010/pdf/DesireIndustries.pdf

PEACEKEEPING OPERATES WITHIN A CONTEXT of neo-liberal power and capital.3 This context draws on and reflects older traditions of colonialism and patriarchy that valorize unequal treatments of race, gender, class, and culture. Although peacekeeping by multilateral agencies like the United Nations (UN) may provide a crucial service by ceasing violence (at least temporarily) in conflict-ridden societies, these agencies also reinforce a neo-liberal world order that is, “on the whole … de-historicized, leaving in place an old colonial script in which the West saves hapless refugees from their fates.”4

Peacekeepers as individuals may face an identity crisis of masculine warrior versus feminized peacekeeper,5 but peacekeeping as an enterprise intensifies a particular strain of neoliberal global governance that remains unquestioningly white, male, and bourgeois.

trafficking now increasingly involves UN peacekeepers.10 The Associated Press in Eastern Europe has reported that “[UN] officers [have secretly] forged documents for trafficked women, aided their illegal transport through border checkpoints into Bosnia, and tipped off sex club owners ahead of raids.”11 Apparently, Serbs and Albanians in the region can overcome political-ethnic differences to collaborate in sex trafficking, reportedly grossing US$1.5 million/week.12 Similar scenarios recur throughout the UN peacekeeping network, raising concern within the international organization itself not only for its internal management (sex trafficking directly violates the Security Council’s mandates for UN peacekeeping) but also for external public relations.13 Kathryn Bolkovac, for example, was an American working for the Virginia based DynCorp, a private security company contracted to the International Police Task Force (IPTF) in Bosnia. She was fired after reporting to her company and the U.S. State Department that other officers had participated in a prostitution racket. In 2002, she won a case of unfair dismissal against the State Department.14 That same year, the UN held a conference in Turin, Italy on the problematic connection between prostitution, sex trafficking, and peacekeeping missions.15

That is an extremely good read.

Original point was to shift the securing the borders argument, from immigration to stopping slavery.

kcchiefs6465
09-14-2013, 07:37 PM
Also it might poll well with the women.

The United States provided aid (food, etc.) to Pol Pot through Thailand. Millions of dollars worth, in fact. The United States government helped the Khmer Rouge retain power and have some blame in what you are referring to.

Rogue State: A Guide to the World's Only Superpower by William Blum
Chapter 10: Supporting Pol Pot (http://books.google.com/books?id=oBM8UiDYz1MC&pg=PA117#v=onepage&q&f=false)

ETA: Old thread, and MRK covered what I was referring to.