PDA

View Full Version : Being held out of Fox debate nets Ron Paul a Monday Leno visit

InTheoryTV
01-07-2008, 01:15 AM
At least according to this article:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/01/06/paul_has_no_intention_of_makin.html

And, it turns out, being excluded from the evening's Republican forum on Fox News landed the Texas congressman a second invitation on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno." He'll be the lead guest on Monday's show, he said.

"It's annoying not able to participate in the debate," said Paul, adding that Fox News reporters and commentators "are war mongerers who don't want to hear other opinions."

"But it worked well for us," he continued.

angrydragon
01-07-2008, 01:20 AM
Good for Dr. Paul.

Alvination
01-07-2008, 01:32 AM
So it's not a repeat! Woooooo! Awesome news. I'm glad momentum will not slow down.

AEMsupra
01-07-2008, 01:56 AM
nice i hope jay endorses ron paul

RonPaulFTW08
01-07-2008, 02:23 AM
Im hoping the LA meetup groups have tix to this show!?

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-07-2008, 02:24 AM
Im hoping the LA meetup groups have tix to this show!?

Good question.

Thanehand
01-07-2008, 03:21 AM
The most interesting part of that article is this quote from Ron:

Asked how he'd respond if his supporters clamored for him to mount a run outside the GOP, Paul responded: "We'll see if the supporters keep sending the money. But right now, our focus is on Feb. 5th."

Looks like Ron is warming up to the idea of a 3rd party run if the support is there! We MUST keep up the momentum no matter how he fairs in the primaries!

rainman39393
01-07-2008, 03:33 AM
its great that he is the lead guest too cause that means he will come out first, and alot of people turn it off after the first guest.

Terry82
01-07-2008, 04:32 AM
Nice to think this, but more likely, the show just doesn't have any guests who would want to go on thanks to the writer's strike. I mean, even the actors aren't going to their own awards show in a show of support, and last week, Huckabee thought all late night shows signed a new contract with the writers, not just Letterman. People see them as scabs, it's why you get these C list celebs popping in, so a Presidential candidate, ANY OF THEM, even those who dropped out, would be a huge grab, but politicians don't want to seem that anti-union blatantly.

Then again, Ron doesn't seem that pro union, so I'm sure it's not an issue for him to cross picket lines.

RickyJ
01-07-2008, 04:44 AM
Nice to think this, but more likely, the show just doesn't have any guests who would want to go on thanks to the writer's strike. I mean, even the actors aren't going to their own awards show in a show of support, and last week, Huckabee thought all late night shows signed a new contract with the writers, not just Letterman. People see them as scabs, it's why you get these C list celebs popping in, so a Presidential candidate, ANY OF THEM, even those who dropped out, would be a huge grab, but politicians don't want to seem that anti-union blatantly.

Then again, Ron doesn't seem that pro union, so I'm sure it's not an issue for him to cross picket lines.

I have nothing against unions but these people are overestimating their worth to the studios. There are plenty of people that could write for them all across the USA cheaper than what they are now paying these writers.

Ron Paul is not really against unions either. But that doesn't mean he supports them all.

Terry82
01-07-2008, 05:41 AM
Ron Paul is not really against unions either.

Sorry, but there's really no way to spin crossing a picket line as being supportive of unions or even neutral.

Ron LOL
01-07-2008, 05:58 AM
Can you guys even IMAGINE the kind of far-and-wide support Ron Paul could net if he goes on Leno and says, specifically, that he was excluded for his anti-war views? He could say something like "Fox claims I was excluded due to my low numbers, but I beat Giuliani in IA, I'm out-polling many candidates in NH, I'm the number one republican fund-raiser for Q4, etc etc etc, the only conclusion one can reach is that Fox is censoring my anti-war position."

If Ron Paul handles this correctly, this can totally be his Obi-Wan moment.

You can't win, Darth. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine. -- Obi-Wan Kenobi

pacelli
01-07-2008, 06:08 AM
"Fox claims I was excluded due to my low numbers, but I beat Giuliani in IA, I'm out-polling many candidates in NH, I'm the number one republican fund-raiser for Q4, etc etc etc, the only conclusion one can reach is that Fox is censoring my anti-war position."

I don't know if Dr. Paul would put it quite that directly-- even though that's probably what needs to happen.

colecrowe
01-07-2008, 06:30 AM
Sorry, but there's really no way to spin crossing a picket line as being supportive of unions or even neutral.

Yes. There. Is. Ron Paul is truly the best friend of workers because he supports absolutely the right to assemble how ever you want and does not support corporate welfare, gov't created/supported monopolies, and any special treatment to certain corporations over others

But he also recognizes absolutely the property rights and liberty of the business owner to do whatever the hell he wants with his business as long as it doesn't violate anyone's rights, including hiring people not in the union. But not to use violence against unions--and absolutely to never use the gov't to squash union activities, like has happened so much in the past.

Freedom cuts both ways. Ron Paul believes the government should stay out of it.

Sounds very neutral to me. Maybe he should explain it like that.

robofx
01-07-2008, 08:10 AM
I have nothing against unions ...

I have nothing against unions, either. They're doing a fantastic job of forcing companies to move their jobs to Mexico and China. Bravo, all the over-paid, lazy communist union hacks. Keep up the good work. :rolleyes:

Terry82
01-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Sounds very neutral to me.

Not really, the only way to be neutral on the issue is to not be involved with the issue.

Many celebs have been asked to be on the show, they refused to cross the picket lines - pro union

Other people have been asked the same, and they crossed the picket lines - anti union

Ron Paul has decided to cross their picket lines. You won't agree with me, but I'm just telling you what every union minded individual sees this as.

shane2
01-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Ron Paul has decided to cross their picket lines. You won't agree with me, but I'm just telling you what every union minded individual sees this as.If a striking union writer could get on the Leno show to make his case there, he would cross the picket line to do so and you would likely have no problem with it.

That's Ron Paul going anywhere/everywhere he can to be heard, especially with FOX and other major media marginalizing him.

- Shane

Naraku
01-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Then again, Ron doesn't seem that pro union, so I'm sure it's not an issue for him to cross picket lines

What are you talking about? He's pro-union he just takes the same libertarian stance on it that he takes on everything else. That is, the government shouldn't get involved in it.

As for crossing the picket line being anti-union, I don't think that makes a whole lot of sense to anyone.

Todd
01-07-2008, 03:27 PM
I heard something about Ron Paul cancelling The Tonight Show.....not actually doing this show the night before the Primary? Any news to it's truth?

MRoCkEd
01-07-2008, 03:37 PM
I hope that ain't true

Aldanga
01-07-2008, 03:42 PM
I heard something about Ron Paul cancelling The Tonight Show.....not actually doing this show the night before the Primary? Any news to it's truth?

It's still on the calendar on the website. ::shrugs::

Austrian_guy
01-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Last I heard he cancelled all his other appointments to record it this morning in CA (I think it was mentioned also in the CNN morning interview [1/7])...

LudwigVan Kubrick
01-07-2008, 04:59 PM
already recorded, ready to go.

Terry82
01-07-2008, 05:08 PM
As for crossing the picket line being anti-union, I don't think that makes a whole lot of sense to anyone.

That's sad that you're that deep in the Paul rhetoric to not be able to understand something this simple.

Terry82
01-07-2008, 05:11 PM
If a striking union writer could get on the Leno show to make his case there, he would cross the picket line to do so and you would likely have no problem with it.

That's horrible reasoning... Akin to the bullshit you guys accuse the neocons of using.

I'm sorry, Paul isn't supportive of the writers, it's that plain. I know you guys want to spin it somehow around, but it's the truth.

courtney
01-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Well, I think that perhaps at any other time, Paul would respect the wishes of the writers.

However, the situation here, with the NH primaries coming up within a matter of hours, ya take what publicity you can get -- especially after being slammed by FOX Noise last evening.

On another note, if Paul didn't have to pull teeth to just to get some damned airtime, then things may be different as well.

It's an unfortunate situation, but ya just can't please everyone all of the time. Everyone's toes are stepped on in politics eventually -- even mine, and by Ron Paul! :mad:

But, I still support him.... :)

thegr8drronpaul
01-07-2008, 05:37 PM
The writers are trying to make a statement and Ron is too. They should respect each other considering they're both just trying to be heard.