PDA

View Full Version : Just back from Canvassing NH

Prez4TheNet
01-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Hello folks,

Me and my buddies from the local meetup group just got back from canvassing northern NH (Bath, Lisbon, Littleton, Monroe, Lancaster etc). We basically were handed a list of addresses over Saturday and Sunday and were armed with door hangers. The list was probably comprised of people who said they were leaning towards paul and we were just visiting them to remind them to go out and vote and to answer any policy questions they had.

If I were to judge support by the signs out, I'd say Edwards would win the democratic nomination and the republican nomination would be split with John McCain and Ron Paul. John McCain has these HUGE signs posted in the lawns of a lot of people. Edwards "North Country for Edwards" sign is pretty crafty too. Romney signs were almost non-existent and the Rudy signs were only prevalent once you hit the center of a city where there was a lot of traffic but there were none on the lawns of people. Huckster did have some signs posted on people's lawns though. Amazingly, I did NOT see even ONE Thompson sign which begs the question whether his campaign even has signs.

Now we met quite a few enthusiastic Ron Paul supporters in Lancaster. One even wanted us to try and convert his hillary friend but it was out of our way so we couldn't do it :). We also had a pro-war woman who said she believed god wanted us in Iraq said she is considering Ron (I doubt she will end up voting for him though :().

Now when we reached Monroe county, political signs were almost NON-EXISTENT.. granted it was just farms after farms with beat down houses. There were maybe one or two huckster signs but thats it. There were quite a few HUGE Ron signs though and it seems that no campain bothered to visit the area. It isn't quite the smooth ride, we had to go up a lot of hills that weren't completey snow-free so it probably didn't make sense for people to visit the area.

When we reached Lisbon County, there was one area that I can't recall, bit started with Wood.. woodshire or woodhaven or something. Now that area seemed clustered with Ron Paul supporters. We were asked by bystanders for Ron Paul signs which we gladly handed to them and I think that area has a pretty active meetup group. Glad to say that there were NONE of the other candidates signs around there but we were told that a Ron Paul 2008 sign was there since Spring!

General reaction from the undecideds, they watched the debates last night and Paul impressed them.... but apparently, not enough to sway them over :(. We heard quite a few compliments about the young people rallying behind Ron Paul and one lady interrupted another lady when she was complimenting us saying that A LOT of people like Ron paul, not just young people. They were dismayed by the polling numbers though.

So my prediction for Ron from visiting the area, he comes in a strong third or fourth. I was hoping that Ron would beat the huckster before the debate. Now I didn't catch the entire debate, but I did hear a clip of Fred Thompson berating Ron Paul with the inflation/healthcare quip and that got me really angry. So my new hope is that Ron beats both Fred and Huckabee and I'll be satisfied with the outcome.

Cross your fingers or pray to Jesus, Allah, or Buddha.... lets hope Ron carries NH.

icon124
01-06-2008, 11:26 PM
first to comment! GOOD job

RPatTheBeach
01-06-2008, 11:29 PM
thanks for the story!

and thanks for your effort on the roads.

damon04
01-06-2008, 11:30 PM
WELL DONE. bump this story.

Think12345
01-06-2008, 11:45 PM
A thank you bump

me3
01-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Cross your fingers or pray to Jesus, Allah, or Buddha.... lets hope Ron carries NH.
I pray to all 3 in rotation. You know, just in case. ;)

Thanks for the excellent report!

Hurricane Bruiser
01-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Blimpin for a thank you.

noztnac
01-06-2008, 11:49 PM
Great work. Grab a beer and chill.

ConstitutionGal
01-06-2008, 11:56 PM
Thanks for all your hard work and dedication! It's nice to hear REAL reports from REAL people instead of the drivel we hear from the media. Let's us know where we're at realistically.

Here in Tennesse the ONLY signs I have seen are Ron Paul signs although I've seen quite a few Obama and Thompson bumper stickers. My husband just put up a big 4' x 8' Ron Paul sign on a major thoroughfare yesterday and we've seen one more of those and several smaller yard signs in people's yards. I'm afraid to be too optimistic but I certainly have hope - Hope for America, that is!

AKBryant54
01-07-2008, 01:02 AM
happily blimped for congratulations

matratzac
01-07-2008, 01:06 AM
thanks for working hard for us, man. its people like you that get his % up.

greves
01-07-2008, 01:10 AM
Well great work, but I wish people had a better idea over here in the west of what Buddhism is all about. It's certainly not a religion in which people pray to Buddha as a god for some sort of help that he will provide. It's not really a religion at all, actually. And when Buddhists pray, they aren't really praying, actually.

Thanehand
01-07-2008, 01:36 AM
Well great work, but I wish people had a better idea over here in the west of what Buddhism is all about. It's certainly not a religion in which people pray to Buddha as a god for some sort of help that he will provide. It's not really a religion at all, actually. And when Buddhists pray, they aren't really praying, actually.
Not that it really matters, but thank you for posting that. Many don't realize that Buddhism can exist by itself and/or be practiced in completely harmony with other religions -- it's really just a simple set of guiding principles.

I have no religious affiliation... I am just a westerner trying to live by Buddhist principles :)

dvictr
01-07-2008, 01:40 AM
We also had a pro-war woman who said she believed god wanted us in Iraq said she is considering Ron (I doubt she will end up voting for him though :().

LMFAO..... exact thinking of the neo-cons

NYgs23
01-07-2008, 01:49 AM
They were dismayed by the polling numbers though.

Explain to these "But-He-Can't-Win" Voters that a recent Rasmussen poll had Paul in third!!!

jointhefightforfreedom
01-07-2008, 02:00 AM
bump

Xonox
01-07-2008, 02:07 AM
"But he cant win" is no excuse when your voting in a primary... if you want your party to win vote in the general election, if you want your candidate to win, vote in the primaries.

Pharoah
01-07-2008, 02:08 AM
Bimpin' great work! Thanks for the first-hand account.