PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul's Iowa Surge

Noodles
07-19-2007, 08:38 AM
http://www.intheagora.com/archives/2007/07/ron_pauls_iowa.html

and here's the article:

Ron Paul's Iowa Surge
I'd like to think Hugh Hewitt and I are friends. We've corresponded with each other regularly over the years, he's been kind enough to invite me on his radio show a few times, and at a blog conference he sought me out to come hear me speak. Needless to say, given that Hugh is one of the most listened-to national talk show hosts in the country, I was rather flattered.

Yet over the past six months, and possibly longer, I haven't been able to read much of Hewitt (and I suspect he would say the same about me). I think Hugh is intelligent, but he is far too entrenched in generic, GOP establishment rhetoric. It's incredibly hard to distinguish between Hewitt's blog and the website of national Republican party.

So perhaps it's fitting that blog neighbor Patrick Ruffini - former Bush webmaster, RNC staffer and Giuliani webmaster - now posts on Hugh's blog. They are in many ways "two peas in a pod". The two of them represent the epitome of establishment Republicanism; a Bush-style ideology that looks first to the political party, and then to underlying policy. Yet, whatever their misguided political positions may be, they are both highly adept political minds that understand how the "game" of politics works.

I say all of this background in order to stress the significance of a recent piece from Ruffini, posted on Hewitt's blog, which boldly and blunty proclaims that Ron Paul will place second at the Iowa straw poll. When the GOP establishment fears Ron Paul, perhaps it's time for the mainstream media to take notice. According to the most recent Gallup poll Ron Paul leads all so-called "second tier" candidates and follows only Giuliani, Fred Thompson, John McCain and Mitt Romney.