PDA

View Full Version : ????? - Beltram - Crowd Size - Spartanburg GOP event

BillyDkid
07-19-2007, 06:50 AM
What is this all about? Ron Paul has never had a problem drawing a crowd. Is this just more media BS?

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20070719/NEWS/707190334/1051/NEWS01

MozoVote
07-19-2007, 06:54 AM
I hear spin. When they were deciding on venues, the original estimate was around 200.

The article doesn't even touch on how many people will be outside with signs that just refuse to give $25 to the GOP establishment.

spacebetween
07-19-2007, 06:54 AM
What is this all about? Ron Paul has never had a problem drawing a crowd. Is this just more media BS?

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20070719/NEWS/707190334/1051/NEWS01

Sounds like a hit piece to me.

I'm sorry, but predicting a crowd size is not news.

Razmear
07-19-2007, 06:58 AM
Yes it is.
Chris did send out that email to the local meetup group in an attempt to get more folks to show up at the Spartanburg event. It could have been worded better.

Beltram has done nothing to promote this event within his own party, he wants a low turnout to prove that he was right all along about Ron Paul.

He must not realize that we don't want to give him $25 because he's been such an ass about the whole thing.

eb

AMack
07-19-2007, 07:00 AM
Pretty much irrelevant. Didn't this whole thing with Beltram start because he invited every candidate except for RP? The second tier candidates probably couldn't draw over 200 people, so if RP were to be excluded, then they should be as well.

mdh
07-19-2007, 07:04 AM
"Why there is more smoke than fire is something his supporters will have to answer."
This is a pretty silly question. The answer is obvious that it's because Ron Paul supporters are more dedicated then supporters of other candidates. We believe in the man and more importantly in the message he brings to the table. Other candidates have more supporters, but they're generally apathetic about their chosen candidate, and by and large "just along for the ride". This makes perfect sense - the other guys get way more hype and publicity, but lack substance. Dr. Paul gets by far less coverage, but is all about substance. So the numbers make perfect sense to me. When you realize that this is the appropriate context in which to look at it, the facts become quite clear.

What we also have to realize is that the other candidates have paid supporters and the MSM, etc on their sides. We don't. We have to do all our work ourselves, we don't have any other choice. We need to be as efficient or more efficient than paid professionals. We need to become as powerful a voice as the MSM.
We can do it. Ron Paul has faith in us, as we do in him.

LizF
07-19-2007, 07:16 AM
Looks like those meetup groups have "spies"/lurkers. How else would goupstate.com have gotten that email?

LibertyEagle
07-19-2007, 07:18 AM
I'm confused. I thought we were told from the very beginning that there were only 200 seats available for RP at Beltram's event.

LibertyEagle
07-19-2007, 07:20 AM
Pretty much irrelevant. Didn't this whole thing with Beltram start because he invited every candidate except for RP? The second tier candidates probably couldn't draw over 200 people, so if RP were to be excluded, then they should be as well.

It's not irrelevant. It's very bad press. They have been trying very hard to marginalize Dr. Paul and the political machinery and MSM are still full tilt trying to do that. If they are successful, this will keep a lot of people from taking a look at Dr. Paul, because they will not think he can win.

mdh
07-19-2007, 07:21 AM
Looks like those meetup groups have "spies"/lurkers. How else would goupstate.com have gotten that email?

I'm sure they all do. Is this highly surprising?

Kuldebar
07-19-2007, 07:28 AM
There's plenty of room for dirty tactics to be used against us here...

-inaccurate information about seating at the event

-leaked e-mails portrayed in a certain light

-certain scheduling changes that could occur

-cherry picked participants at the question and answer session

LibertyEagle
07-19-2007, 07:34 AM
Anyone remember how we were told about the 200 seating limit? Anyone still have that notice?

angelatc
07-19-2007, 07:38 AM
I think not giving the $25 is counter-productive. Money talks with the GOP, and if Ron Paul continually sells out GOP events he will continue to get invited to GOP events.

Bossobass
07-19-2007, 07:42 AM
To be honest, if it weren't for the Geenville rally, I would have passed on this Beltram guy's non-event.

I already fully understand RP's position on foreign policy. If Beltram were sincere in his early statements regarding giving RP a chance to set his SC debate comments straight with Beltram and his GOP wanks, Beltram would have filled the venue with such people.

I detest the idea of $7,500.00 going into Beltram's coffers while he derides RP and his campaign...period.

I had planned to remain outside with my party of 6 to show my support, then off to Greenville for the REAL event of the day.

I bit my tongue half off and reserved the tickets, but only because Beltram is unable to fill his own seats.

Since there will be NO PRESS, as usual, and Beltram's public concern over RP's foreign policy points is total BS, as he'll have virtually no one there to hear RP's discourse on the subject...what's the sense in me showing up? I could go up on the stage and save RP the trip by stating his foreign policy for him.

I would honestly prefer to see 2 thousand supporters outside and no one inside. Then, it would be, RP wins...Beltram loses.

Bosso

Johnnybags
07-19-2007, 07:55 AM
From Beltrams point of view its his consituents you need to convince, te GOP Spartanburg and the people from this area. This is a tough crowd, like Rudy going to stand in front of a 911 group of firefighters. The more support the out of staters give this event, whether outside or in, the better. More importantly, the locals need convincing so making your way to Spartanburg and then to Greenville is probably the best option, find Beltram and cordially invite him to the rally after. Right now he is softly playing the I told ya game in an attempt to draw more in while maintaining Rons low support in the area is what he thought. At this point he is probably correct, I cannot imagine a rabid following in Spartanburg yet but the more signs and people go, the more people in the area will say, "Who is Ron Paul" and ultimately its a win,win situation.

beermotor
07-19-2007, 08:34 AM
This is why I was yelling at everyone who says "I'm not giving $25 to the local GOP." NOW DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHY?

This is not rocket science, folks. Sigh.

MsDoodahs
07-19-2007, 08:39 AM
Since there will be NO PRESS, as usual, and Beltram's public concern over RP's foreign policy points is total BS, as he'll have virtually no one there to hear RP's discourse on the subject...what's the sense in me showing up? I could go up on the stage and save RP the trip by stating his foreign policy for him.

I would honestly prefer to see 2 thousand supporters outside and no one inside. Then, it would be, RP wins...Beltram loses.

Bosso

No press? lol...

Remember how Beltram bragged that he was a press God and would have national media there if only RP would come?

Razmear
07-19-2007, 08:45 AM
Said BossoBass:
I bit my tongue half off and reserved the tickets, but only because Beltram is unable to fill his own seats.

It might be a good idea to stay out side and give your tickets to a local. Treat them to a meal and a lunch with Ron Paul.

eb

Spirit of '76
07-19-2007, 08:50 AM
Anybody passing through WV on the way with room for one more?

I can help with gas money. Just need to be back for work on Monday.

Spirit of '76
07-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Said BossoBass:

It might be a good idea to stay out side and give your tickets to a local. Treat them to a meal and a lunch with Ron Paul.

eb

That's a pretty good idea. :)

rich34
07-19-2007, 09:13 AM
That's a pretty good idea. :)

Where do you live Spirit? I'm in Sissonville. Haven't made up my mind if I'm going, but if I do it would be a drive down and back in the same day.

Spirit of '76
07-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Where do you live Spirit? I'm in Sissonville. Haven't made up my mind if I'm going, but if I do it would be a drive down and back in the same day.

Just sent you a PM. We're spamming the board. ;)

Bossobass
07-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Said BossoBass:

eb

Not plausible. You have to give a name and address for each reservation. They confirm at the door and sell you the ticket. It will be a small nightmare getting through the door as it is with that system, let alone trying to confirm, then transfer the ticket. :rolleyes:

The whole affair is just a Beltram play. He wins no matter what happens. This is obvious by his spin.

I think RP should bring a school desk and set it up on the stage. He should invite Beltram to sit and spend the entire alloted time teaching Beltram what he meant in his SC debate comments on foreign policy.

RP should have a blackboard, a pointer, the whole nine yards. And, he should pop quiz Beltram at the end to see if he finally has gotten anything at all into his thick, overblown skull.

THAT would be worth the price of admission :cool:

Bosso

MozoVote
07-19-2007, 10:15 AM
I may be worth it for RP supporters to buy tickets just to help tilt the inside crowd a bit to be supportive and applaud good points. We don't know how tough the Beltram guests will be.

Think of it as $25 to maybe ask Dr Paul a question, yourself. As busy as he is, that alone might make sense.

LizF
07-19-2007, 10:17 AM
I'm sure they all do. Is this highly surprising?

No, sadly. It just means the Meetup leaders have to be more careful about written communications and wary of members. :(

MozoVote
07-19-2007, 10:23 AM
A snickering article like that is a win win for Beltram... Makes it look like we are not that supportive, but also agitates people to buy tickets. I bet they know the RP crowd is motivated. They're just waving red flags at the bulls to bring money.

DeadheadForPaul
07-19-2007, 10:27 AM
I think Beltram thought all along that he could get money out of us and then trash us. I wouldnt be surprised if he has people set up to ask Dr. Paul really biased questions

Our support of Dr. Paul outside of the event will prove that Dr. Paul is a widespread, national phenomenom. I know 5 people going who did not buy tickets to Spartanburg but are going to stand outside passing out fliers and encouraging locals to go in instead of them, then go to Greenvile

My plan is to show up early to Spartanburg, talk to locals, offer to pay for them to go in (if Beltram allows) then go in if there are empty seats

Personally, I expect the venue to be overflowing to the point that I will not even have a chance to go in

beermotor
07-19-2007, 10:38 AM
I think Beltram thought all along that he could get money out of us and then trash us. I wouldnt be surprised if he has people set up to ask Dr. Paul really biased questions

Our support of Dr. Paul outside of the event will prove that Dr. Paul is a widespread, national phenomenom. I know 5 people going who did not buy tickets to Spartanburg but are going to stand outside passing out fliers and encouraging locals to go in instead of them, then go to Greenvile

My plan is to show up early to Spartanburg, talk to locals, offer to pay for them to go in (if Beltram allows) then go in if there are empty seats

Personally, I expect the venue to be overflowing to the point that I will not even have a chance to go in

I really hope you are right. But I have a feeling that you're wrong... let's hope I'm the one who's wrong.

tiznow
07-19-2007, 10:42 AM
I would think alot of Ron Paul supporters have a problem with giving these guys 25 bucks is part of the issue. Even with the straw poll in iowa some I talk to have issues about giving 35 bucks to republican party they would rather spent their money on supporting ron paul. I would expect the free rally numbers to be much bigger. Also hopefully this article circulates quite a bit down in that area to stir thing up and get people motivated. I'm glad he's attacking us shows they are scared of us.

Syren123
07-19-2007, 10:43 AM
Total spin.

I'm a huge Ron Paul supporter and I'd have a hard time forking over 5 cents to the state Republican Party. If the 25 bucks went to the campaign, that would be one thing but to give it to those party weasels is hard to stomach.

MozoVote
07-19-2007, 10:49 AM
SC meetup mails are saying they will make reservations as long as there are seats to sell. The caterer may want a number they can count on, but I bet the local GOP will grab every dollar waved at them.

Razmear
07-19-2007, 10:53 AM
I don't see what's to prevent you from buying your ticket then giving it away. Did they state that the reservations were non-transferable?

eb

Not plausible. You have to give a name and address for each reservation. They confirm at the door and sell you the ticket. It will be a small nightmare getting through the door as it is with that system, let alone trying to confirm, then transfer the ticket. :rolleyes:

The whole affair is just a Beltram play. He wins no matter what happens. This is obvious by his spin.

I think RP should bring a school desk and set it up on the stage. He should invite Beltram to sit and spend the entire alloted time teaching Beltram what he meant in his SC debate comments on foreign policy.

RP should have a blackboard, a pointer, the whole nine yards. And, he should pop quiz Beltram at the end to see if he finally has gotten anything at all into his thick, overblown skull.

THAT would be worth the price of admission :cool:

Bosso

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Put an ad on Craigslist:

Would you like to hear Presidential candidate Ron Paul speak at a luncheon on Aug 28 at _____? $25 tickets will be paid for by the SC Ron Paul Meetup group for the first 25 people who respond. Call (___)___-____ or email __________@_.com by Monday night.