PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Analysis/Notion from an outsider

amy31416
01-06-2008, 05:41 PM
I've been thinking that John McCain will be the republican nominee (no, I'm not a mole or anything like it, just thinking about the possibilities.)

My fiancee's father, who is a criminal attorney and has some inroads into political workings was talking about what he thinks will happen (which is not what he wants to happen-he likes Ron Paul and Bill Richardson.)

Here's what he thinks:

When Hillary loses NH to Obama, which she likely will, the Dems will pull Al Gore out of the woodwork and there will eventually be an Al Gore/Barack Obama ticket. And these two can absolutely crush *almost* anyone who the GOP gets on the ticket.

The one exception, in my mind, of course, is Ron Paul.

I'm only posting this to see what you guys think, if you agree that it's a possibility, what to do? In my opinion, the best thing to do is to try to convert Obama supporters--I seem to remember one guy who was a BO grassroots supporter who came over to Paul's side.

I'm a scientist, not a politician, dammit. I'd like to hear from some professionals or people who are very educated about this stuff.

phixion
01-06-2008, 05:47 PM
I'll be physically sick if Al Gore has anything more to do with elections.

I can't even see Paul beating an Obama / Al Gore ticket. There's not a chance in hell.

Al Gores fear-mongering about climate change and the combined feel-good pat yourself on the back for voting for us bullshit would likely destroy any opponent.

Pete

cmc
01-06-2008, 05:50 PM
I asked my fortune-telling shakable 8-ball and it said "definitely not."

Gore is the opposite of Obama's fresh-new-face appeal.

Xonox
01-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Ron could win against an Obama/Gore ticket so long as his message gets out there... He's more anti-war than Obama, and he's for more change than Obama would be.

amy31416
01-06-2008, 05:52 PM
I'll be physically sick if Al Gore has anything more to do with elections.

I can't even see Paul beating an Obama / Al Gore ticket. There's not a chance in hell.

Al Gores fear-mongering about climate change and the combined feel-good pat yourself on the back for voting for us bullshit would likely destroy any opponent.

Pete

Yeah, that's why I am concerned. But it just seems so possible with the set up. Al Gore isn't saying much, won't have to now that he has his Nobel "Peace" Prize. That combination would crush every other Republican candidate and probably be the one combination that Ron Paul couldn't even win.

He's the whole reason I left the Democratic party in 2000. I was, at the time, married into a family that all worked for the gov't at relatively high levels and they all despised Gore. Despite the fact that they were Dems, they supported McCain. So did I, at the time, despite my reservations.

I really don't want to be negative, but I can't sit on information when it could potentially help our campaign to focus in the right direction.

amy31416
01-06-2008, 05:53 PM
I asked my fortune-telling shakable 8-ball and it said "definitely not."

Gore is the opposite of Obama's fresh-new-face appeal.

Hahahahha...good one. Makes me feel a bit better if the magic 8 ball states that it won't happen ;)

prlgrl
01-06-2008, 05:56 PM
No, I don't see that happening. (But I'm not a professional) There is more than one way of getting Ron to the wh. Ron has been promoting his message a long time; many of us are hearing it for the first time. There is no going back, we will make an impact and it will be one that can't be ignored. Let's keep pushing on.

amy31416
01-06-2008, 06:01 PM
No, I don't see that happening. (But I'm not a professional) There is more than one way to getting Ron in the wh. Ron has been promoting his message along time; many of us are hearing it for the first time. There is no going back, we will make an impact and it will be one that can't be ignored. Let's keep pushing on.

I hope it doesn't. And you're right, there is more than one way to get Ron into the white house, I told the fiancee, whom I've been working over to vote for Ron Paul that there is no information he could give me that would change my vote or support because I can finally vote for someone and not go against my conscience. He leans toward Richardson at this point. It makes for some spirited debates ;)

Haywood1974
01-06-2008, 06:20 PM
the local scuttlebutt is saying to watch for Obama/Edwards ticket.....Not sure what the logic in thinking is, but the way they have teamed up on Clinton, it would tend to make me wonder....

amy31416
01-06-2008, 06:24 PM
the local scuttlebutt is saying to watch for Obama/Edwards ticket.....Not sure what the logic in thinking is, but the way they have teamed up on Clinton, it would tend to make me wonder....

Yeah, I can see that. But still not as powerful as slapping Gore into the mix. I haven't even been giving Gore a second though because he's been much out of the public eye. Edwards seems to be marginalized, like Paul.

itshappening
01-06-2008, 06:28 PM
I just read some speech from Obama, he's a neocon advocating pre-emptive war

he wants to increase the military... a lot of candidate are saying this including Guiliani, Romney and McCain, if they can't do it through recruitment will they institute a draft?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Obama wants to increase defense spending. He wants to add 65,000 troops to the Army and recruit 27,000 more Marines. Why? To fight terrorism.

He wants the American military to "stay on the offense, from Djibouti to Kandahar," and he believes that "the ability to put boots on the ground will be critical in eliminating the shadowy terrorist networks we now face." He wants to ensure that we continue to have "the strongest, best-equipped military in the world."

Obama never once says that military force should be used only as a last resort. Rather, he insists that "no president should ever hesitate to use force -- unilaterally if necessary," not only "to protect ourselves . . . when we are attacked," but also to protect "our vital interests" when they are "imminently threatened." That's known as preemptive military action. It won't reassure those around the world who worry about letting an American president decide what a "vital interest" is and when it is "imminently threatened."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/27/AR2007042702027.html?referrer=emailarticle

ecliptic
01-06-2008, 06:31 PM
I hope it doesn't. And you're right, there is more than one way to get Ron into the white house, I told the fiancee, whom I've been working over to vote for Ron Paul that there is no information he could give me that would change my vote or support because I can finally vote for someone and not go against my conscience. He leans toward Richardson at this point. It makes for some spirited debates ;)

You deserve better, honey...

Get with with a real Ron Paul man!

amy31416
01-06-2008, 06:35 PM
I just read some speech from Obama, he's a neocon advocating pre-emptive war

he wants to increase the military... a lot of candidate are saying this including Guiliani, Romney and McCain, if they can't do it through recruitment will they institute a draft?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Obama wants to increase defense spending. He wants to add 65,000 troops to the Army and recruit 27,000 more Marines. Why? To fight terrorism.

He wants the American military to "stay on the offense, from Djibouti to Kandahar," and he believes that "the ability to put boots on the ground will be critical in eliminating the shadowy terrorist networks we now face." He wants to ensure that we continue to have "the strongest, best-equipped military in the world."

Obama never once says that military force should be used only as a last resort. Rather, he insists that "no president should ever hesitate to use force -- unilaterally if necessary," not only "to protect ourselves . . . when we are attacked," but also to protect "our vital interests" when they are "imminently threatened." That's known as preemptive military action. It won't reassure those around the world who worry about letting an American president decide what a "vital interest" is and when it is "imminently threatened."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/27/AR2007042702027.html?referrer=emailarticle

I know! All this BS about him being anti-Iraq war is BS. I don't think he's entirely sold out yet, but he's certainly an easy one and on the path to being sold out. And the American people won't believe it because he's "different."

In some ways, far more bad than Bush, because so many people won't believe that such a "good guy" has sold out. Far more insidious than getting Hillary into office in some ways. But brilliant too.

We're up against some big-time cons. Ron Paul is more important than ever.

amy31416
01-06-2008, 06:36 PM
You deserve better, honey...

Get with with a real Ron Paul man!

Hahahaha. Believe me, the thought has crossed my mind.

prlgrl
01-06-2008, 06:37 PM
I like Richardson, too, but I (heart) Ron Paul.

edit: I haven't been able to get my hubby's vote for Paul, either. Maybe we should get some tshirts: Real Men vote Ron Paul!

amy31416
01-06-2008, 06:40 PM

I feel the same way.

amy31416
01-06-2008, 06:42 PM

edit: I haven't been able to get my hubby's vote for Paul, either. Maybe we should get some tshirts: Real Men vote Ron Paul!

I like that! I'm sure I can make one myself, too.

freelance
01-06-2008, 06:47 PM
I've been thinking that John McCain will be the republican nominee (no, I'm not a mole or anything like it, just thinking about the possibilities.)

My fiancee's father, who is a criminal attorney and has some inroads into political workings was talking about what he thinks will happen (which is not what he wants to happen-he likes Ron Paul and Bill Richardson.)

Here's what he thinks:

When Hillary loses NH to Obama, which she likely will, the Dems will pull Al Gore out of the woodwork and there will eventually be an Al Gore/Barack Obama ticket. And these two can absolutely crush *almost* anyone who the GOP gets on the ticket.

The one exception, in my mind, of course, is Ron Paul.

I'm only posting this to see what you guys think, if you agree that it's a possibility, what to do? In my opinion, the best thing to do is to try to convert Obama supporters--I seem to remember one guy who was a BO grassroots supporter who came over to Paul's side.

I'm a scientist, not a politician, dammit. I'd like to hear from some professionals or people who are very educated about this stuff.

How's he gonna get on the ballot at this late stage, but I suppose it could be done at the convention.

TruckinMike
01-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Yap Yap, Obamma = CFR=neocon=NWO=love for the UN, WTO, SPP, GAT, the Amero, etc

TM

gjdavis60
01-06-2008, 07:38 PM
I know we who support RP value the individual and deemphasize racial, ethnic, and religious backgrounds, but this is not necessarily the case with large parts of the population. I've heard that the Democratic leadership is terrified of an Obama nomination because they fear that the country is not ready for an African-American president. If Obama gets more traction through the primaries, I'll be interested to see what unfolds.

Proemio
01-06-2008, 07:51 PM
... Maybe we should get some tshirts: Real Men vote Ron Paul!

Maybe? What are you waiting for? It also fits, because it's obviously true...

Seriously, it's a "must" idea, because it challenges the fence sitters to grow some (usually scared of the unfamilliar) and it will validate/energize the guys already on board. Do It!

Thomas Paine
01-06-2008, 07:52 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Clintons are not going to let some uppity, young African-American prevent them from returning to the White House. Anticipate some obscure white supremist taking out Obama right before the Democratic Convention. Of course, Hillary Clinton, being the runner-up, will deliver a eulogy for Obama at the Democratic Convention that would have made Julius Caesar's murderers proud and then she'll go on to reluctantly accept the Democrat nomination for President.

Proemio
01-06-2008, 07:59 PM
If Gore gets into the picture at all (depends on how fast the global warming tax scam collapses), it will be with Bloomberg in an 'independent' ticket - the last stand of the "anybody but Paul" crowd, a.k.a. the establishment and other assorted terms.

danda
01-06-2008, 08:00 PM

Seriously, it's a "must" idea, because it challenges the fence sitters to grow some (usually scared of the unfamilliar) and it will validate/energize the guys already on board. Do It!

Would make a fantastic YouTube if the two of you got together with your T-Shirts. Hubbies might object though. :)

Ron2Win
01-06-2008, 08:05 PM
I think this whole notion of converting one supporter over another is completely flawed in the General Election.

I think we must educate people to who the candidates really are, if they can get past the veil of of propaganda, which we been able to to, there will be no question that RP is the only man for the job.

In 2004 only 30% of the American People voted, if we can expose the candidates, RP can win hands down.

Proemio
01-06-2008, 08:12 PM
I think this whole notion of converting one supporter over another is completely flawed in the General Election.

Agreed. Totally.
Every individual - with a relatively small, tenatious and invested number of exceptions - is at heart a Pon Paul supporter in waiting...

propanes
01-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Worrisome about Obama and McCain is that Lieberman coached and mentored both. McCain and Lieberman are appearing together at events in NH. Obama chose Lieberman as his mentor in the Senate.

http://boston.com/news/local/connecticut/articles/2006/03/31/obama_rallies_state_democrats_throws_support_behin d_lieberman/

Lieberman became Obama's mentor when Obama was sworn into the Senate in 2005. They stayed close at Thursday night's event, too, entering the room together and working the crowd in tandem.

amy31416
01-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Yap Yap, Obamma = CFR=neocon=NWO=love for the UN, WTO, SPP, GAT, the Amero, etc

TM

I don't disagree, but that's not very constructive either.

amy31416
01-06-2008, 09:11 PM
If Gore gets into the picture at all (depends on how fast the global warming tax scam collapses), it will be with Bloomberg in an 'independent' ticket - the last stand of the "anybody but Paul" crowd, a.k.a. the establishment and other assorted terms.

That's another thing the father-in-law said. Bloomberg is gearing up too.

amy31416
01-06-2008, 09:12 PM

Sir, yes Sir!

Seriously, I'm going to make one tomorrow.

constitutional
01-06-2008, 09:16 PM
The real race has yet to begin. There are people sitting out there duck waiting to announce their run for president such as lou dobbs and bloomberg (this is my opinion). We'll see.

This race will be interesting. One thing for sure, GOP has no chance in hell unless RP is nominated. GOP needs that 10% or 20% that Ron Paul has, for Republicans to win the general election. Without Ron Paul, GOP is finished. Ever wonder why they keep saying, "Do you plan to run as an independent?" It's because GOP's faith is ultimately in Dr. Paul's hands.

amy31416
01-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Agreed. Totally.
Every individual - with a relatively small, tenatious and invested number of exceptions - is at heart a Pon Paul supporter in waiting...

I tend to believe this as well, with the only major issue being that we are not organized. And all of us have different issues that we hold dearest, and are currently distracted from our main one: ELECTING RON PAUL!

I hope my post didn't add to this.

beobeli
01-06-2008, 09:19 PM
How about this scenario on teh Republican side

Fred is out...
Giuliani is next... just no traction
Huck will not have money and therefore no "staying power".

So that leave Romney, McCain and Paul.

I don't know if Obama would agree to run with Al Gore. He would be overpowered by Al Gore (both are excellent orators), and it would look as if Obama is being turned into a puppet. But I agree, a better opponent for us would be H. Clinton.

beobeli
01-06-2008, 09:21 PM
One thing for sure, GOP has no chance in hell unless RP is nominated.

+100

amy31416
01-06-2008, 09:36 PM
One thing for sure, GOP has no chance in hell unless RP is nominated.

Now that is something you can take to the bank and cash in for gold.

Bradley in DC
01-06-2008, 09:47 PM
I'd always thought Hillary would be the D nominee and that Dr. Paul would be the only one who could beat her (possibly McCain but I didn't see him getting the nomination since WE would be the independents' vote).

That said, we lose to Obama or another anti-war (or in this case "anti-war") candidate in the general. Then again, this is politics, who knows?!

amy31416
01-06-2008, 09:55 PM
I'd always thought Hillary would be the D nominee and that Dr. Paul would be the only one who could beat her (possibly McCain but I didn't see him getting the nomination since WE would be the independents' vote).

That said, we lose to Obama or another anti-war (or in this case "anti-war") candidate in the general. Then again, this is politics, who knows?!

Yeah, I always thought Hillary as well. The elections in Iowa and NH will be telling though and as soon as I heard his analysis about Obama and Gore, I thought "holy crap, he's quite possibly right!" This is even more complicated than I thought. Gore has the Nobel Peace prize now, he's known to have lost due prior due to shaky circumstances and he's got the heart and mind of the anti-war, environmental democrats. He could seriously crush any opposition to the democratic party and barely say a word. Especially if he automatically has all of Obama's supporters. I think he's just waiting to make sure who's more popular: Hillary or Obama. Since the US is "not ready" for a female or black president, they'd be VP. He's got the experience, the backing and is "anti-war."

I really hope it isn't true.

jasonjasonjason1
01-06-2008, 09:57 PM
aa