PDA

View Full Version : An Idea: Spam Spartanburg

Pages : [1] 2

Razmear
07-18-2007, 11:55 PM
Seeing how we all know that Ron Paul's support base is really made up of just a few spammers in their mothers basements who do nothing but create multiple ID's and flood forums and internet polls.... Well that's what the MSM would like the world to believe anyways... Why don't we show the true power of Spam when we arrive at Spartanburg and have everyone who shows up bring a can or two of Spam that we can donate to a local food bank or shelter?

Now, there could be some blowback with this idea, depending on how well liked Spam is by the folks receiving it, but it also could be a nice public interest piece on the local news to go along with Ron's visit.

Just throwing this against the wall and seeing if it sticks.

eb

Kuldebar
07-19-2007, 12:38 AM
It's a publicity stunt...which doesn't mean it's not a good idea. But, it may not play well on TV because sometimes contrived things just...well seem contrived to people.

But, there was the reading list for Guiliani...arguably that had some substance to it.

But, a sizable collaborative local food bank donation by Ron Paul supporters could be a nice way to tie in voluntary charity and the strength of our numbers (hopefully) with a slight play on the SPAM angle for laughs.

The SPAM connection could be given as the origin of the idea that was later expanded to a more general food bank donation on behalf of Ron Paul and his supporters.

ghemminger
07-19-2007, 12:42 AM
Why haven't we created a mass email marketing effort for ron paul.....stating the obvious...everyone has email

is it spam if everyone in the country get's it only once? After it's over we could be polling 18% and Ron Paul has 50 million in the bank

Cindy
07-19-2007, 12:57 AM
I love the headlines that could go with that !

Ron Paul supporters are spamming the homeless with....... Spam Ham" :ol

It's funny (which will help to break up tensions related to the silly accusations) and is a good charitible cause.

I see it winning more favor towards the campaign. Says we know how to have fun, while helping others. It's the Spirit of this revolution. It shows we are not afraid of silly name calling either and can make light of it. Its a sign of strength.

I can't go, but will donate a case for anyone going from my area to bring. I am in Bradenton Florida. Just send me a PM to make arrangements.

It would be neat if someone local could contact some representatives from shelters to come pick it up in the parking lot after the Press meeting, while the press is there

orenbus
07-19-2007, 12:59 AM
have you guys eaten spam before? it tastes pretty bad, hawaiians like it, think it's a culture thing :)

Cindy
07-19-2007, 01:05 AM
If it's donated to food shelters, or churches who donate canned goods, I think the recipients will be happy just to get some food. Hey, maybe it should be donated to some local Evangelical churches in the area. ;)

Razmear
07-19-2007, 01:07 AM
We used to pack Spam when we went hiking overnight in the White Mountains, and it has the amazing ability to absorb any flavor.
If you have a pack of chicken flavor Raman noodles and a can of Spam and combine the two in the same pot, your Spam tastes just like chicken, or beef or shrimp, depending on the Raman flavor pack.

I wouldn't eat it any other time, but in a pinch Spam can get you over that next hill.

eb

Razmear
07-19-2007, 01:48 AM
There are a list of churches in Spartanburg that are part of Angel Food Ministries listed here:
http://www.angelfoodministries.org/states.asp?state=SC
scroll down to spartanburg.

Fairforest Church of God is 1.4 miles from the GOP event.

I wouldn't contact anyone until we know this idea is a go. I wouldn't want to get anyones hopes up of a huge donation then end up with a lot of press and 5 cans of spam.

eb

ThePieSwindler
07-19-2007, 02:00 AM
This is a fantastically clever idea. Spread the word. Its benefits will be twofold - it will draw attention as a very humorous publicity stunt, and it will be a gracious act of charity that will garner positive coverage no matter the outlet, since disparaging people who are helping the needy is ALWAYS looked down upon.

Razmear
07-19-2007, 02:04 AM
I just learned that Angel Food is a program that sells food at a discount to people, so I think I found a better recipient:
Spartanburg Children's Shelter
is 4 miles east of the GOP event and the blurb about the shelter reads:

If you're looking to help out, the best place to start is the children's shelter. The majority of the children in the children's shelter have been removed from their homes due to abuse, abandonment, and/or neglect.

I'd also think that kids would enjoy Spam more than adults.

eb

EDIT: If anyone wants to pledge a certain number of cans (or cases) or Spam and other canned goods or wants to contact me off list, my email is eb @ 2323.us

Cindy
07-19-2007, 02:36 AM
Thats the cause closest to my heart. PM me your address if this is going to happen and I'll send you a check for $50. to buy Spam and anything else for them, for me.

Razmear
07-19-2007, 02:44 AM
Thanks Cindy!
Lets make this happen!

I've notified the Greenville and Spartanburg meetup groups of the plan, of course they are all sleeping now, but hopefully we'll have a good reaction when they get out of bed.
I've also updated the Sticky and I have a few more emails I can send out.

I'll pm you my PayPal address if thats OK, I don't think a check will get here in time (I'll be on the road before Saturday's mail hits).

Razmear
07-19-2007, 03:42 AM
A bump for Mozo, now that he's awake :)

JosephTheLibertarian
07-19-2007, 03:44 AM
The Ron Paul effort is a decentralized campaign... funny. It's like the federal government vs the states ALL OVER AGAIN! :p

beermotor
07-19-2007, 04:19 AM
have you guys eaten spam before? it tastes pretty bad, hawaiians like it, think it's a culture thing :)

It's not horrible... kids like it a lot.

I think this is a fantastic idea, we'll be bringing two cans!

Razmear
07-19-2007, 04:33 AM
I've already received a $50 donation to pick up Spam and other canned goods from Cindy so I'll be bringing a case or two with me up to Spartanburg.

Wouldn't it be great if we showed up with several thousand cans for the Children's Shelter and Ron Paul got to stop by the shelter to drop them off???

I think it would be nice if this Operation Spam took off at every Ron Paul event, what other candidate's supporters would do something like this?

beermotor
07-19-2007, 04:42 AM
SPREAD this around to your email lists, meetups, RonPaulGrassRootsAction, etc etc... this is going to be quite amusing.

Bruehound
07-19-2007, 04:52 AM
This is a FANTASTIC idea. I wish i could be a part of it but I will do everything I can to promote this.

Don't forget to put a little inkjet RP sticker on each can. Make sure local media is invited to the dropoff.

Razmear
07-19-2007, 04:52 AM
One suggestion when emailing this idea:
I have an antivirus program that flags email spam with the word Spam, which is then filtered by my email program into my Spambox.
I discovered this problem when I emailed my meetup group and my message landed in my SpamBox, so you might not want to put the word Spam in the subject line, or use Sp@m instead.

eb

Razmear
07-19-2007, 06:32 AM
Bump

Kuldebar
07-19-2007, 06:57 AM
Remember: there's Spam-Lite now, it has less salt than the original.

But, in recent years my diet has included:

Sliced Spam with Macaroni & Cheese

Fried Spam on toasted bread sandwich

Fried Spam and Potatoes

Spam and Egg Omelet

Life is good.

ShaneC
07-19-2007, 06:58 AM
I'd say Stick with the SPAM theme, but donate more than just SPAM.

Like, instead of 2 cans of SPAM, bring 1 SPAM and 1 of something else.

or add something to your SPAM donation.

I base this on my memories of SPAM.

ShaneC
07-19-2007, 07:00 AM
Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam;

I <3 Monty Python....

jason43
07-19-2007, 07:08 AM
This is awesome. A good idea on many different levels...

Kuldebar
07-19-2007, 07:09 AM
Possible titles of this operation?

Supporting Paul's AMerica (SPAM)

Ron Paul Supporters Providing a Meal

Maybe we can come up with something humorous, descriptive and catchy.

BTW, Hormel's website: http://www.spam.com is a very fun centered site to visit, let's try to be positive about Paul and Spam while we do this...check out their SPAM Fan submissions...

jason43
07-19-2007, 07:12 AM
Supporting Paul's American Message

Rocky Mtn Liberty Lover
07-19-2007, 07:21 AM
I agree with ShaneC, it's better to give something else with the SPAM. Since a lot of people consider SPAM disgusting, it could be spun by locals as a cruel joke to donate 1,000 cans of SPAM. If say, it were 250 cans of SPAM and 750 other cans, then it is more likely to be spun as "Ron Paul supporters donated 1,000 cans of food to a local children's shelter, including 250 cans of SPAM as a sign that they are just a bunch of Internet spammers, but also exist in the community."

Also, given that the good Doctor loves children, I am sure he would not mind delivering them himself as it would bring good publicity and the kids would probably be in awe of meeting a presidential candidate (even though I guarantee that 100% of them in SC have never heard of him before).

Finally, this is a very cheap and easy concept that can also be performed at future events and generate positive publicity in the local community (ie, the Iowa Straw Poll, etc.).

Great idea!!

Kuldebar
07-19-2007, 07:41 AM
Supporting Paul's American Message

That's a winner in my book.

I agree with ShaneC, it's better to give something else with the SPAM.

I would suggest what I posted earlier:

...a sizable collaborative local food bank donation by Ron Paul supporters could be a nice way to tie in voluntary charity and the strength of our numbers (hopefully) with a slight play on the SPAM angle for laughs.

The SPAM connection could be given as the origin of the idea that was later expanded to a more general food bank donation on behalf of Ron Paul and his supporters.

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-19-2007, 08:17 AM
Don't forget tshirts:

I'm a Ron Paul
Spammer
and I Vote

DavyDuke17
07-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Donate more than just spam.. most people do not like it.

beermotor
07-19-2007, 08:31 AM
If you are taking food from a food bank, I doubt you are going to wrinkle your nose up at SPAM. Hello? What the hell planet are you guys on? haha... jeez.

Slugg
07-19-2007, 09:36 AM
Is there anyway people can donate money to this online? It is impossible for me to be there, but I would love to donate some money for non-perishables. I think the idea is just great on all fronts. Let's get ALOT...and 'spam' those hungry people!!!! :D

P.S.
Remember, once you've decided there's enough food to create a buzz...then contact your local news stations. It is imperative you do this ahead of time to verify they know what's going on. This is just my two cents.

Estanislao
07-19-2007, 10:02 AM
Hey I posted some art that can be cut out and taped to the cans of Spam.

Feel free to use it:

http://www.roncan.com

This could be an excellent PR/ Human Interest piece for some free publicity!

Ron Can in 08!

empirenine
07-19-2007, 10:09 AM
I would remotely donate to this as well. Can someone organize a PayPal account for this cause?

beermotor
07-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Is there anyway people can donate money to this online? It is impossible for me to be there, but I would love to donate some money for non-perishables. I think the idea is just great on all fronts. Let's get ALOT...and 'spam' those hungry people!!!! :D

P.S.
Remember, once you've decided there's enough food to create a buzz...then contact your local news stations. It is imperative you do this ahead of time to verify they know what's going on. This is just my two cents.

If you want to paypal me cash, I'll do it. bmoore23@student.gsu.edu is my ID.

maiki
07-19-2007, 10:30 AM
I think people should get a bunch of tiny 1" by 3" or smaller stickers and stick them on every can they donate. Let the people know who is feeding them, let the organizers of the cans know, too.

Razmear
07-19-2007, 10:31 AM
I checked the Spartanburg Children's Shelter website and they have a Donation page, but it mentions only non-food items being requested.
http://www.spartanburgchildrenshelter.org/donations.htm

We should probably contact them to make sure they accept food donations, and if not we can find another shelter in the area that does.
If someone wants to google around for Spartanburg food banks or shelters so we have a back up plan, that would be helpful.

I'll see if I can contact them via phone now and post back in a bit.

eb

MusoSpuso
07-19-2007, 10:35 AM

I don't care what anyone says, spam is freakin' delicious. I'm not Hawaiin either :p

Spamburgers anyone?

Razmear
07-19-2007, 10:38 AM
I just talked to the shelter.
They will happily accept any food donations.

I didn't mention anything about Ron Paul, just said that a group was looking to make a food bank donation in Spartanburg and wanted to verify they accept food items.

So everything is a go!

eb

torchbearer
07-19-2007, 10:46 AM
The SPAM Army enters South Carolina. The Slop heard around the world.

beermotor
07-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Awesome, I am stoked. My wife rolled her eyes and said this was a really dumb idea, but I thought it was hilarious.

Dary
07-19-2007, 11:23 AM
I love this idea of a food drive.

I will take a case of canned goods to Spartanburg this weekend.

Razmear
07-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Bump

ShaneC
07-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Have something saying:

"This Food was Donated by Citizens for Ron Paul"

or similar, like the closing lines typically used in the political commercials.

Getting Ron Paul there to the site of the drive would be great too....

"I'm Ron Paul and I support private charity".

Cindy
07-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Awesome, I am stoked. My wife rolled her eyes and said this was a really dumb idea, but I thought it was hilarious.

She'll come around. :) When is helping to feed children in need ever a dumb idea?

It's something that people with heart and compassion do.

Imagine what that will do to, wipe away the idea that the people who hold Libertarian ideologies are "Cold" hearted. It will help to break such a myth.

Next, imagine undecided voters watching Obama and Giulianis supporters carrying on about the "Obama and Giuliani girls internet rap wars" while learning that Pauls internet "spamming" supporters are actually feeding the children, through a Campaign Rally food drive program they started.

No comparison, between the shallow campaigns and the one with heart and the American Spirit alive and pumping.

This is also something we need to start melting the cold hearts of the neocons to win them over for Pauls nomination.

It shows Pauls ability to be such an inspiring leader for Good in the world and that citizens can rise to the occasion, inspired by such a leader of small government.

Remember how HUGE "Feed the World" was and how many HUGE celebrities were behind it. We may get many larger celebrity names on board because of a humanitarian movement like this on Pauls behalf.

It's also good in that it raises awareness of just how many childrens homes are in America. The history is that the Foster Care system was started because America was to great of a nation to have "orphanages". The truth is, we have MANY in America and they are called Childrens homes and Childrens shelters. Florida has a lot of them. Who knows, maybe some kids will end up being adopted through the awareness raised of this program. The web-sites of the childrens homes in Florida and their stories will tear your heart apart.

Watch people supporting other candidates feel moved to get involved and donate along with us during the rally drives and eventually, become his supporters because they see people under his lead in action doing much needed good.

And of course, the next time some ignoramous says, Pauls supporters spam the polls, any of us can follow with comments about this Spamming program his supporters started to turn a negative into a positive.

The positives of this movement for Paul Presidency and Americans in need of better leadership are Big. I'll do my best to donate something to every drive and every rally held and organize the one for when he comes to the Tampa Bay area.

Off to post about this at my local meetups. Huge Thanks to everyone getting involved in anyway to make this happen. Lets make sure everyones Meet Up Group has a thread posted about this.

Project Spam -Support Pauls American Message

Slugg
07-19-2007, 01:30 PM
We're sending the money this evening. Hopefully we'll have a large amount of food to give away!!

beermotor
07-19-2007, 01:34 PM
We're sending the money this evening. Hopefully we'll have a large amount of food to give away!!

I'll be happy to buy whatever folks give me money for, but we're leaving out Saturday morning so best get the money to me by Friday evening.

Bossobass
07-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Spam it is!

I also love this idea. I'll be bringing a bag of Spam and Cans to Spartanburg from the Ron Paul Machine (what I call my little army, with T-Shirts as uniforms) to whomever y'all decide should receive it.

Keep up the awesome work. :)

Bosso

beermotor
07-19-2007, 02:08 PM
got somebody's payment already. Quick note: I am not upgraded to receive credit card payments, because it strips fees off all transactions, so your money will go farther if you send me a direct cash transfer.

ShaneC
07-19-2007, 06:00 PM
bump

and who can I paypal to chip in some cash on my behalf?

It won't be much :( so "free" paypal is ideal

Cindy
07-19-2007, 06:11 PM
send razmear a PM that you want to send through pay pal. he has a site that can take donations, which you can also write off on your taxes. Not sure if he already did his shopping so I would PM him first to see if he has time to buy more canned goods for the childrens shelter food drive.

I sent PMs to the 2 Spartenburg area meetups about it just now. Hopefully they'll get the mails and post this on their message boards.

Wish I could be there! I can't wait to do it up when Paul comes near Tampa Bay.

ShaneC
07-19-2007, 06:26 PM
I'm hoping to make the road trip to the Pittsburgh area next month.

ladyjade3
07-19-2007, 07:46 PM
WOW!!!! This is TOOOOO GOOD! I LOVE this idea! And whoever said this totally upstages the silly Obama/Giuliani girls was sooo right.

NEED YOUTUBES of everyone filing in with their Spam donations. I don't care what any of ya'll say, Spam is DEEEELISH. Especially the bacon flavored Spam. And Spam with mac and cheese is to die for! So that's what I'm bringing. The kind where the cheese is already made and in a pouch so you don't also need milk and butter. YUM.

And I think food drives like this where ever Ron Paul goes would be HUGE. Let's do this all the time! I'm totally buying stock in Spam tomorrow. LOL. But yeah it might be time to notify the press to see if we can get them out. I think we'll have a good showing. I talked to Rick Beltram earlier this evening. I didn't know until hours ago that we were supposed to register. Oops. Might be a good thing we're bringing food because they might run out at the luncheon. :)

Ron Paul Spammers unite!!!!!

specsaregood
07-19-2007, 08:02 PM
I think the food drive with spam as one of the components is great!

We need to do this for every RP event/area. I can't donate for this one --all spent for this pay period. But I will for all upcoming events. I think we should get the ball rolling on doing a similar drive prior to the Straw Poll. With some leadtime we should be able to get a nice sized donation.

coffeewithchess
07-19-2007, 08:29 PM
I agree with ShaneC, it's better to give something else with the SPAM. Since a lot of people consider SPAM disgusting, it could be spun by locals as a cruel joke to donate 1,000 cans of SPAM. If say, it were 250 cans of SPAM and 750 other cans, then it is more likely to be spun as "Ron Paul supporters donated 1,000 cans of food to a local children's shelter, including 250 cans of SPAM as a sign that they are just a bunch of Internet spammers, but also exist in the community."

Also, given that the good Doctor loves children, I am sure he would not mind delivering them himself as it would bring good publicity and the kids would probably be in awe of meeting a presidential candidate (even though I guarantee that 100% of them in SC have never heard of him before).

Finally, this is a very cheap and easy concept that can also be performed at future events and generate positive publicity in the local community (ie, the Iowa Straw Poll, etc.).

Great idea!!

The SPAM idea is AWESOME! I agree also though that we should bring other cans of food. I'll be bringing some down...thanks for the awesome idea!

beermotor
07-19-2007, 09:01 PM
WOW!!!! This is TOOOOO GOOD! I LOVE this idea! And whoever said this totally upstages the silly Obama/Giuliani girls was sooo right.

NEED YOUTUBES of everyone filing in with their Spam donations. I don't care what any of ya'll say, Spam is DEEEELISH. Especially the bacon flavored Spam. And Spam with mac and cheese is to die for! So that's what I'm bringing. The kind where the cheese is already made and in a pouch so you don't also need milk and butter. YUM.

And I think food drives like this where ever Ron Paul goes would be HUGE. Let's do this all the time! I'm totally buying stock in Spam tomorrow. LOL. But yeah it might be time to notify the press to see if we can get them out. I think we'll have a good showing. I talked to Rick Beltram earlier this evening. I didn't know until hours ago that we were supposed to register. Oops. Might be a good thing we're bringing food because they might run out at the luncheon. :)

Ron Paul Spammers unite!!!!!

My wife and all my friends think it's dumb. I think it's hilarious. I guess we'll see. I've already collected $125 for spam... if you want to send money to my paypal, it's in this thread I think. Rock AND roll. Booyah.

beermotor
07-19-2007, 09:02 PM
bump

and who can I paypal to chip in some cash on my behalf?

It won't be much :( so "free" paypal is ideal

Send it to me ... my paypal ID is earlier in this thread. If it's a cash transfer, that's best, as paypal skims off the top of credit card transactions.

Roxi
07-19-2007, 09:07 PM
spam being good or bad is a matter of personal opinion and i have rarely encountered a child that didnt like it, i do like the idea of spam stickers on other cans of food this might send a message..

what about doing this in iowa as well?

and how about a door to door food drive donated to a local food shelter in the name of ron paul? if everyone across the country did this its sure to make some local headlines

Kuldebar
07-19-2007, 09:16 PM
spam being good or bad is a matter of personal opinion and i have rarely encountered a child that didnt like it, i do like the idea of spam stickers on other cans of food this might send a message..

what about doing this in iowa as well?

and how about a door to door food drive donated to a local food shelter in the name of ron paul? if everyone across the country did this its sure to make some local headlines

The idea has merit everywhere.

Cindy
07-19-2007, 09:25 PM

Maybe that should be the community service event to partcipate in to honor Ron Pauls Birthday on August 20th. This would be easy as fliers could be handed out while going door to door to collect cans and the individual or meetup group can pick a charity to donate it to in the name of Pauls supporters and his campaign.

Every individual or group can tally what they collected and who it was donated too and the compilation can be sent to Pauls website along with a story about it.

Just a thought.

I'll compile the data if anyone wants to help spread the idea to all of the meetups nation wide. If you start posting the idea at meetups, tell them to send the info to cindyshannon@worldnet.att.net

Slugg
07-19-2007, 10:59 PM
Bump: Donating food to hungry people and doing it in the name of Dr. Ron Paul is an excellent idea!! Hopefully we can get a nice large donation built up! :D

Bradley in DC
07-19-2007, 11:36 PM

Wouldn't they just deep fry it in the South? ;)

Razmear
07-20-2007, 01:38 AM
send razmear a PM that you want to send through pay pal. he has a site that can take donations, which you can also write off on your taxes. Not sure if he already did his shopping so I would PM him first to see if he has time to buy more canned goods for the childrens shelter food drive.

My website is http://FreeSharing.org and there is a PayPal donate button at the bottom, but those donations are not tax deductible. I haven't gone food shopping yet so you can send cash there if you want and I'll load up the back of the Jeep with canned goods.

The shelter we are donating to is a 501(c) charity and that would be tax deductible if you wanted to send them a check directly. Just use the Memo line to say it's from The Ron Paul Revolution or something like that. The shelters website is:
http://www.spartanburgchildrenshelter.org/

Thanks for keeping this going while I was AFK! This is going to be an awesome event!

Eric Burke
http://FreeSharing.org

ronpaulhawaii
07-20-2007, 02:04 AM

You're supposed to cook it;)

Spam got popular in the days of steamships. We use it often. Keeps well in the occasional disaster (earthquakes, hurricanes, tidal waves, and a big friggin volcano) People do alot of hunting/camping, it packs well. And it tastes great fixed right. There ain't nothing wrong with Spam.

We used to pack Spam when we went hiking overnight in the White Mountains, and it has the amazing ability to absorb any flavor.
If you have a pack of chicken flavor Raman noodles and a can of Spam and combine the two in the same pot, your Spam tastes just like chicken, or beef or shrimp, depending on the Raman flavor pack.

I wouldn't eat it any other time, but in a pinch Spam can get you over that next hill.

eb

case in point

This is a fantastically clever idea. Spread the word. Its benefits will be twofold - it will draw attention as a very humorous publicity stunt, and it will be a gracious act of charity that will garner positive coverage no matter the outlet, since disparaging people who are helping the needy is ALWAYS looked down upon.

I agree ,great idea

I agree with ShaneC, it's better to give something else with the SPAM. Since a lot of people consider SPAM disgusting...

Hey now:D

I don't care what anyone says, spam is freakin' delicious. I'm not Hawaiin either :p

Spamburgers anyone?

There you go.

with much aloha

m
;)

Razmear
07-20-2007, 06:04 AM
Bump.
Also, if you are bringing cans from your own pantry, please check the expiration dates.

eb

Slugg
07-20-2007, 06:53 AM
Any update on what the cause is looking like?

p.s. Bump again

MsDoodahs
07-20-2007, 07:01 AM
PLEASE get some video of the S.P.A.M. drive and put it out there on youtube!

beermotor
07-20-2007, 07:29 AM
I'm sure there will be folks videoing stuff there. I've collected $125 to buy spam with myself. The Atlanta folks may bring more, we'll see.

Razmear
07-20-2007, 08:03 AM
It's just been suggested on the local meetup group that we also donate crayons, coloring books, play doh and other similar items for the Children's Center.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm sure they wouldn't mind a few personal checks as well.

eb

BLS
07-20-2007, 08:11 AM
Ok, who is going to spearhead this in SC?

I think it's a fantastic idea. Mind you Scribbler de Stebbing and I both live in MN (I know Jeremie from MN does too) where SPAM is made (Austin, MN). I'll bet we could hitup our local meetup group for some cash to have some SPAM delivered to you.

Can someone contact the local newspapers to have them present when you deliver it to the shelter for PR?

Razmear
07-20-2007, 08:33 AM
I guess I'm currently holding the spear.

I am waiting for a call back from the director of the Children's Center so we can arrange the drop off.

Given the short notice of the event, and not being sure how successful the effort would be, and not wanting to get kids hopes up and then snub them, I held off til today for scheduling the drop off.

I did confirm yesterday that the center does accept canned food donations, and I just called them back today to ask if anyone would be around Saturday to accept then and this time let them know who they were coming from.

The lady on the phone (who I don't think recognized the name Ron Paul) said she'd get a message to the director and have her call me back.

There is a lot of support and items coming in from the local meetup groups, as well as the folks on this forum, but of course more is better, and much more is much better!

I am hoping that all the items will not fit in the back of my Jeep, and we will have to have a small convoy to deliver all the items!

Also, if anyone wants to bring any "Spam Spartanburg Ron Paul Can Drive" signage that we can point towards the Westgate Mall parking lot, that would be great. Nothing fancy, just marker on posterboard will do.

Thanks for everyone's support for this idea, and I really hope it takes off around the nation!

Eric Burke
eb@2323.us

beermotor
07-20-2007, 08:41 AM
What kind of vehicle will you have? We can just pile all our stuff into the bed of somebody's truck or something.

I think we will be bringing a lot of stuff from Atlanta, heh.

ladyjade3
07-20-2007, 08:43 AM
As long as you're not taking *too* much away from your Ron Paul campaign donation budget. Remember to feed liberty too.

Razmear
07-20-2007, 08:50 AM
I have a Jeep Wrangler. It will hold a fair amount in the back, but I'd like to see a lot more food than what will fit in there. Seeing how the event is in SC, I have no doubt there will be a pickup truck or two in attendance.

The Jeep, in case you spot it on the highway:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=7380

eb

BLS
07-20-2007, 08:55 AM
I have a Jeep Wrangler. It will hold a fair amount in the back, but I'd like to see a lot more food than what will fit in there. Seeing how the event is in SC, I have no doubt there will be a pickup truck or two in attendance.

The Jeep, in case you spot it on the highway:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=7380

eb

How can I send you $20 for SPAM Eric?

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-20-2007, 08:56 AM
It's just been suggested on the local meetup group that we also donate crayons, coloring books, play doh . . . Just don't open the Playdough and the Spam next to each other. Virtually impossible to tell the two apart.

Razmear
07-20-2007, 08:57 AM
The easiest way would be to visit my website:
and use the PayPal donate button at the bottom right.
Just note that the donation is for the food drive.

eb

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-20-2007, 08:58 AM
You guys need to post all your raw video somewhere so a couple of YouTubers can put together some fabulous Spam vids.

Gotta get some of that to the local news too. Speaking of which, be sure to call the local stations to tell them what you're doing and why.

Razmear
07-20-2007, 09:08 AM
When I get back from tonights shopping, I'll post a pic here of all the items that I've gathered with folks donations, and my contribution.
I've received $70 so far in donations and I believe at last report Beermotor had collected $125.
Sorry I don't have video capabilities.

eb

beermotor
07-20-2007, 09:09 AM
When I get back from tonights shopping, I'll post a pic here of all the items that I've gathered with folks donations, and my contribution.
I've received $70 so far in donations and I believe at last report Beermotor had collected $125.
Sorry I don't have video capabilities.

eb

don't worry, I'm sure there will be several people with cameras floating around. I know we've got a couple in the Atlanta mob, so we should be covered.

Would you mind contacting some local newspapers and tipping them off?

Razmear
07-20-2007, 09:13 AM
Just recieved a call back from the children's shelter, all systems are go for a Saturday delivery!!!

Calling RPHQ now.

eb

Slugg
07-20-2007, 09:15 AM
Just recieved a call back from the children's shelter, all systems are go for a Saturday delivery!!!

Calling RPHQ now.

eb

You're the man! :cool:

Razmear
07-20-2007, 09:21 AM
Can someone PM me a better number for contacting RP HQ. No one is answering the phone number listed on the website.

Thanks,
eb

MsDoodahs
07-20-2007, 09:21 AM
Also, if anyone wants to bring any "Spam Spartanburg Ron Paul Can Drive" signage that we can point towards the Westgate Mall parking lot, that would be great. Nothing fancy, just marker on posterboard will do.

Thanks for everyone's support for this idea, and I really hope it takes off around the nation!

Eric Burke
eb@2323.us

What is the S.P.A.M. phrase?

Wasn't it "Supporting Paul's American Message" ???

Should that be on a sign or two?

BLS
07-20-2007, 09:28 AM
The easiest way would be to visit my website:
and use the PayPal donate button at the bottom right.
Just note that the donation is for the food drive.

eb

Dear Christopher C,

This email confirms that you have paid donate@freesharing.org $20.00 USD using PayPal.
This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL *FREESHARING".
$20.00 USD
Total:
$20.00 USD
Order Description:
FreeSharing.org
Buyer:
Christopher C

Business Information
Business:
donate@freesharing.org

Contact E-Mail:
donate@freesharing.org

Shipping Info:
Christopher C.
Food Drive
Hastings, MN 55033
United States

Shipping Method:

Receipt Number: 3453-8050-5426-1803

Keep your Receipt Number (shown above) for future reference. You will need to refer to this number if you need customer service from donate@freesharing.org or from PayPal.

If you have questions about your purchase, such as shipping and tracking, we encourage you to contact the seller, donate@freesharing.org at donate@freesharing.org.

If you have been unable to resolve your questions with the merchant, PayPal offers a free buyer complaint resolution service that offers a quick, easy resolution to your concerns. It covers physical goods purchases made through PayPal, and is offered at no charge when you register for a free PayPal account. To sign up for an account, click on the 'Save My Information' link above.

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

Please do not reply to this email. Email sent to this address cannot be answered.

Razmear
07-20-2007, 09:31 AM
Thanks BLS, that brings the total to $90 that I'll be spending on behalf of donations.

eb

Still trying to get a hold of Ron Paul HQ....

BLS
07-20-2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks BLS, that brings the total to $90 that I'll be spending on behalf of donations.

eb

Still trying to get a hold of Ron Paul HQ....

You're welcome. Make us proud!!

gregp701
07-20-2007, 09:44 AM

eb

Still trying to get a hold of Ron Paul HQ....Confirmation Number: 7W742256B41807213. $50.00 more for the effort Razmear!!! I wish I could be down there with you guys.

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 09:44 AM
Hi, I just donated 20$ to you as well RazMear, give em' hell!!!

Razmear
07-20-2007, 09:45 AM
For those attending the Spartanburg event that want to caravan to the Children's Shelter, their address is:
200 Hudson L Barksdale Blvd
Spartanburg, SC 29306-3459, US
So that you can mapquest your route to the Shelter and back to Greenville.
It looks like you pretty much just stay on RT 29 North for about 4 miles, then hit a side street or two.

Apparently this is "Moving Day" for RP HQ so no one is answering the phones, if they are even still plugged in. So if anyone has a cell number for a staff member please PM me so I can give a heads up about the activity.

I think it would be great if Ron can show up in person at the shelter, but I'm sure they need some lead time to do so.

eb

BLS
07-20-2007, 09:46 AM
Confirmation Number: 7W742256B41807213. $50.00 more for the effort Razmear!!! I wish I could be down there with you guys.

Had to one up me didn't ya. ;)

beermotor
07-20-2007, 09:48 AM
For those attending the Spartanburg event that want to caravan to the Children's Shelter, their address is:
200 Hudson L Barksdale Blvd
Spartanburg, SC 29306-3459, US
So that you can mapquest your route to the Shelter and back to Greenville.
It looks like you pretty much just stay on RT 29 North for about 4 miles, then hit a side street or two.

Apparently this is "Moving Day" for RP HQ so no one is answering the phones, if they are even still plugged in. So if anyone has a cell number for a staff member please PM me so I can give a heads up about the activity.

I think it would be great if Ron can show up in person at the shelter, but I'm sure they need some lead time to do so.

eb

Let's gather somewhere in the area around the Spartanburg event, and then we can caravan over to the shelter prior to the Greenville event. I'd rather not have this be a piecemeal, willy-nilly affair...it'd have more impact if 5 carloads of stuff shows up at one time from a bunch of smiling and friendly supporters. Whatcha think?

gregp701
07-20-2007, 09:48 AM
Had to one up me didn't ya. ;)
lol heck no. Just glad we could both pitch in!!:) ;)

Razmear
07-20-2007, 09:49 AM
Thanks for all the donations! My PayPal account is now showing $153.86 (after fees)
I'm not sure how much canned goods a Jeep Wrangler with 200,000+ miles on it can haul for the 60 mile trip to Spartanburg, so we might want to find yet another person in the area who can pick up donations.

eb

BLS
07-20-2007, 09:50 AM
I don't mean to freak out here...

But PLEASE make every effort to get the local media to cover this.

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 09:50 AM
My mother works part time at a shelter, and full time as a social worker. Right now, most Food Shelters are low on inventory. (This is a slow season for them, busy season, is the holidays) This would make a huge impression to them on what they have on hand for thier food stocks over the course of the summer and allow them a little back inventory, which will relieve stress for a lot of the personnel at the shelter wondering (who are all most likely volunteers) if they will have enough food to make it until october, (when things start picking up again), giving to a food shelter is always a good choice, especially in the summer!

Razmear
07-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Let's gather somewhere in the area around the Spartanburg event, and then we can caravan over to the shelter prior to the Greenville event.
Whatcha think?

I assumed that we would leave straight from the Spartanburg event then caravan non-stop the 4 miles to the Shelter.

eb

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 09:53 AM
lol @ "non-stop"... like it's a huge road trip! Hahaha!

beermotor
07-20-2007, 10:03 AM
I assumed that we would leave straight from the Spartanburg event then caravan non-stop the 4 miles to the Shelter.

eb

That sounds good to me.

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 10:11 AM
If you can't bring it all, maybe you could buy locally as well Raz

Razmear
07-20-2007, 10:15 AM
This is going right to my PayPal MasterCard so I can definitely buy it local as well.
If needed I'll find someone local with a pickup truck to help out.
I don't want to discourage donations, I've just never seen my PayPal account go up like that so quick and it freaked me out a bit :)

eb

Slugg
07-20-2007, 10:17 AM
This is going right to my PayPal MasterCard so I can definitely buy it local as well.
I don't want to discourage donations, I've just never seen my PayPal account go up like that so quick and it freaked me out a bit :)

eb

Imagine how HQ felt during Q2...
Hopefully we can quadruple it during Q3!!! :D :D

My wife and I are going to give our original donation times 4 this quarter! (I didn't discover Ron Paul until mid June...so my donation wasn't as large as I would have liked.)

JosephTheLibertarian
07-20-2007, 10:24 AM

eb

yes.. watch paypal, they have a history of freezing accounts for no reason www.paypalsucks.com some horror stories over there, they even froze a Hurricane Katrina drive!

mika813
07-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Will there be collections made at the Greenville event too?

Razmear
07-20-2007, 10:34 AM
I just got off the phone with WYFF Channel 4 news in Greenville and informed them of the event and this website and forum topic.
They said they were already planning on covering the GOP event, and I informed them of the donation to Spartanburg Children's center and they seemed to be interested in covering it.
I told them that we would caravan from the GOP event to the Children's center after the event concluded. I also mentioned that I have been unable to contact RP HQ due to their move so I can not state if Ron would be available to show up at the shelter.

Someone please get me a number so I can contact RP HQ and give them a heads up on the event.

Razmear
07-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Will there be collections made at the Greenville event too?

There are no plans to collect at Greenville at this time and I honestly don't think we could organize a second can drive in time. If you can not attend you can either get funds/cans to someone who is attending or donate directly to the shelter via check, or if you are not local, you can be prepared to do this same thing when Ron Paul shows up in your area!

eb

beermotor
07-20-2007, 10:40 AM
There are no plans to collect at Greenville at this time and I honestly don't think we could organize a second can drive in time. If you can not attend you can either get funds/cans to someone who is attending or donate directly to the shelter via check, or if you are not local, you can be prepared to do this same thing when Ron Paul shows up in your area!

eb

No doubt man. This is an awesome PR gimmick, and we should exploit it at EVERY SINGLE event.

I think it really says something about our movement, too!

specsaregood
07-20-2007, 10:40 AM

eb

I couldn't resist. 25 bucks more via paypal coming your way.

Razmear
07-20-2007, 10:46 AM
I couldn't resist. 25 bucks more via paypal coming your way.

lol, just remember me when I ask for donations to get new shocks for the Jeep :D

eb

empirenine
07-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Too late to donate or still ok?

beermotor
07-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Still OK.

Razmear
07-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Still OK, and if you want to spread it around to beermotor, thats OK too :)

eb

empirenine
07-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Still OK.

Just sent $20.

I'm spreading myself rather thin between all these grassroots promotions or I would have given more.

Your hard work is appreciated!

Razmear
07-20-2007, 11:00 AM
To Late, thanks for the additional $20 bringing my shopping cart upto a bit over $200

Time to start looking for a truck.

Beermotor? Are you coming up I-85? (and do you have a truck :) )

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 11:05 AM
Hopefully donations continue to grow!

Mom4Ron
07-20-2007, 11:06 AM
I like this idea A LOT and I think that it would be great for HQ to find a way to incorporate it into their future activities.

specsaregood
07-20-2007, 11:08 AM
I like this idea A LOT and I think that it would be great for HQ to find a way to incorporate it into their future activities.

Agreed. If this particular drive works out; we should definitely plan such a donation for each location RP has a rally/forum. I would love to see a picture of RP's face when he hears about this.

MsDoodahs
07-20-2007, 11:08 AM
Rather than have HQ become involved, why can't we keep it limited to JUST the supporters?

Isn't that safer with respect to the FEC and all that hassle?

beermotor
07-20-2007, 11:11 AM
To Late, thanks for the additional $20 bringing my shopping cart upto a bit over $200

Time to start looking for a truck.

Beermotor? Are you coming up I-85? (and do you have a truck :) )

Yeah, we will be driving my wife's CRV. Should be room for plenty of canned goods.

And yeah we should keep this completely grassroots. It gives us something (else) good to point to about our efforts.

Can't wait until I'm running for political office and I can tap into this support network. Gonna be huge! :)

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Your name made me laugh out loud MSDOODAHS! :)

Mom4Ron
07-20-2007, 11:12 AM
Good point MsDoodahs. I don't know enough about fec regs to comment on that, but my thought was that more people would know that the food drive is happening if HQ included it in their communication of events.

BTW, I love spam. mmmmm salty spam :drool:

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 11:18 AM
I remember my first SPAM incident. It was when I was 8 or 9 and after sleeping over at a freinds house, we had BACON spam...I coudlnt' believe that my taste-buds could be so alive, even though it really wasn't bacon...it tasted so much better!

Mom4Ron
07-20-2007, 11:18 AM
Confirmation Number: 95P981470D8728833.

Spamming your paypal. :p

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 11:26 AM
Haha - NICE! you might have to rent a UHAUL.

beermotor
07-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Funny. I guess we should get like a couple symbolic cases of spam, and then other assorted canned goods, crayons, construction paper, etc.

Slugg
07-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Haha - NICE! you might have to rent a UHAUL.

That might be a good idea anyway!!!! It would sure look great....I mean, can't we put spin on stuff the way the media does? Get a UHaul for 40bucks, toss some RP for President on it....and take it up...it'll look good rollin' up to the center :D

Slugg
07-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Funny. I guess we should get like a couple symbolic cases of spam, and then other assorted canned goods, crayons, construction paper, etc.

YEah, I bet a 50/50 ratio would be good. What'cha think?

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Yes, yes...good call. What are the "Popular" coloring books these days? IF we would have thought a head we could have made a "Ron Paul" coloring book. With things to color, like the Constitution, and Freedom...I wonder what freedom looks like!?!

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Mom4Ron? What are the good coloring books???

Slugg
07-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Yes, yes...good call. What are the "Popular" coloring books these days? IF we would have thought a head we could have made a "Ron Paul" coloring book. With things to color, like the Constitution, and Freedom...I wonder what freedom looks like!?!

Blank page...."Do what ya want kid...it's fun!" :-D

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 11:33 AM
LOL!!! Too Funny Slugg!

specsaregood
07-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Somebody remember to take a picture with the SPAM donation and get it to the PR people for the corporation that makes SPAM. Hormel?

Razmear
07-20-2007, 11:36 AM
Just sent this to the Greer Meetup Group:

[ronpaul-281] Can Drive Update, might need help shopping and transporting!

As of the last time I checked my PayPal account I have received over $250 in donations for the can drive, and it just keeps on going up.
If anyone in the Anderson area has a Sam's Club or Costco membership so that I can get the most bang for the buck buying canned goods please contact me off list.
Also, there is a chance that this much food might not fit in my Jeep Wrangler, so if someone with a truck or van in the Anderson area is heading to the Spartanburg GOP event, please contact me as well.
If you should happen to have a Sam's Club membership and a van, then definitely please let me know!

Eric Burke
Anderson, SC

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 11:43 AM
Just sent to the Minneapolis - Meet-up group.

Razmear
07-20-2007, 11:45 AM
I got thru on the 800-RON-PAUL number, don't know why I didn't think of that earlier. I left a message and someone is supposed to be calling me back from the campaign.

eb

Mom4Ron
07-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Mom4Ron? What are the good coloring books???

Sorry, hun. My kids are past coloring ages.

When they did though, animals were always good... of course I liked to lean towards something that was educational, alphabet when they were tiny, etc.

Their favorites though always seemed to be the blank drawing pads and construction paper.

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Freedom IS popular!

Slugg
07-20-2007, 11:52 AM
Freedom IS popular!

Thats just too much!!!! :D :D

beermotor
07-20-2007, 11:53 AM
I'm just gonna buy up whatever Publix has tomorrow morning on the way up.

Razmear
07-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Yeah, we will be driving my wife's CRV. Should be room for plenty of canned goods.

And yeah we should keep this completely grassroots. It gives us something (else) good to point to about our efforts.

Can't wait until I'm running for political office and I can tap into this support network. Gonna be huge! :)

Please contact me off list at eb@2323.us and I'll see if I can meet you near I-85 and maybe transfer some items in the event that I don't find a truck or van locally.

Last time I over loaded the back of the Jeep (with bricks) the back end was so low it caused the front wheels to come off the ground, which made steering a bit difficult :D

eb

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 11:59 AM
sheesh, we don't want you to die or anything!

Birdlady
07-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Spam is disgusting. It is in fact cancer causing.

There are concerns that nitrites can be converted to nitrosamines, which are known carcinogens. This is especially a problem with cured meats that are later cooked, such as bacon.

Recent studies have found a link between high processed meat consumption and colon cancer, possibly due to preservatives such as sodium nitrite.[1]

Recent studies have also found a link between frequent ingestion of meats cured with nitrites and the COPD form of lung disease.[2]

Yuck!

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 12:01 PM
Dr. Paul will cure you?

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 12:23 PM
This is a rally cry to

Everyone!!!!!!!!

get your meetup networks involved!

beermotor
07-20-2007, 12:39 PM
Spam is disgusting. It is in fact cancer causing.

There are concerns that nitrites can be converted to nitrosamines, which are known carcinogens. This is especially a problem with cured meats that are later cooked, such as bacon.

Recent studies have found a link between high processed meat consumption and colon cancer, possibly due to preservatives such as sodium nitrite.[1]

Recent studies have also found a link between frequent ingestion of meats cured with nitrites and the COPD form of lung disease.[2]

Yuck!

Hrm, starve to death, or maybe get colon cancer 30 years from now?

Come on, lay off with the silly posts. At any rate, we are doing more than just spam, so don't fret. :P

Razmear
07-20-2007, 12:43 PM
I need a hand contacting the RP campaign.
I left a message on the 800-RON-PAUL line a few hours ago and haven't gotten a reply back. I'm guessing everyone is busy with the move.
The phone number on the website is giving a disconnected message due to the move.

I have to head out at some point and go get about $250 in canned goods, so if someone here can try and inform the campaign by whatever means you have available of the Spam Spartanburg action, please do so.

Let them know that I have already contacted the Shelter and they are expecting the donation, and that I have already contacted WYFF Channel 4 News and provided the info including address of the shelter.

The shelters website is:

I'll be around for a bit longer, so I can eat lunch and so forth before heading out, but I don't want to have to sit around waiting for a call that might not come.

Thanks,
Eric Burke
eb@2323.us

specsaregood
07-20-2007, 12:52 PM
Razmear, please make sure to get an ample supply of healthy food to go with the spam. I think they have Turkey SPAM nowadays also.

Razmear
07-20-2007, 12:56 PM
I only plan on getting enough spam to show that we are Spamming. Maybe 10% spam.
I'm trying to get someone local with a Sam's Club membership so I can get the Industrial sized cans of food which I think would be better for a shelter, and cost less so I can get more.

eb

kern802
07-20-2007, 12:57 PM
I recommend you take a look at the shelter's needs list for other purchasing ideas:

http://www.spartanburgchildrenshelter.org/donations.htm
http://www.spartanburgchildrenshelter.org/needslist.pdf

DjLoTi
07-20-2007, 12:58 PM
This is such a cool idea. I hope there's a good diverse amount of food that shows up

specsaregood
07-20-2007, 12:59 PM
I only plan on getting enough spam to show that we are Spamming. Maybe 10% spam.
I'm trying to get someone local with a Sam's Club membership so I can get the Industrial sized cans of food which I think would be better for a shelter, and cost less so I can get more.

eb

Awesome, somebody should prepare a Letter to the Editor article for the local papers. To make sure it gets in the local papers on someform.

Razmear
07-20-2007, 01:01 PM
I looked at that, thats why I contacted them to see if they took food items and they said they would be very happy to get them.
It would still be a good idea to get some of those items too, but I'll be concentrating on food with the money that was sent to me.

eb

beermotor
07-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Food is probably easiest for us to transport and deal with. It's certainly not going to make them mad. :)

kern802
07-20-2007, 01:08 PM
I looked at that, thats why I contacted them to see if they took food items and they said they would be very happy to get them.
It would still be a good idea to get some of those items too, but I'll be concentrating on food with the money that was sent to me.

eb

That sounds perfect, then!

Mom4Ron
07-20-2007, 01:13 PM
I hope that you can find a shady spot to park or somewhere where the food items won't be "cooking" while you're attending the event.

I'd hate for you to come out and find exploded spam all inside your vehicles! :eek:

MsDoodahs
07-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Well, we [I]are[I] kind of "exploding" the "spam" reference, so .... :D

Birdlady
07-20-2007, 01:17 PM
Hrm, starve to death, or maybe get colon cancer 30 years from now?

Come on, lay off with the silly posts. At any rate, we are doing more than just spam, so don't fret. :P

This isn't a silly post. People said to give this spam to children! I think we should give them something of a higher quality.

Why not stop at McDonalds and get them a Big Mac. It will have the same effect.

Bacon, sausage, hot dogs and processed meats hike cancer risk by 67% due to chemical preservative, says nutritionist
(http://www.newstarget.com/007133.html)

Razmear
07-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Its already been stated several times that we are not just getting Spam. There will be veggies, Dinty Moore Beef Stew, Peanut Butter, and a slew of other items.

It would be considered cruel and unusual punishment to give anyone that much Spam.

btw, if anyone does still want to donate via PayPal, please do so before 5pm EST today.
You can use the PayPal Donate button at the bottom of my (non-Ron Paul) website at http://FreeSharing.org

After 5pm I'll be out shopping for the stuff.

Thanks,
Eric Burke

BLS
07-20-2007, 01:25 PM
This isn't a silly post. People said to give this spam to children! I think we should give them something of a higher quality.

Why not stop at McDonalds and get them a Big Mac. It will have the same effect.

Bacon, sausage, hot dogs and processed meats hike cancer risk by 67% due to chemical preservative, says nutritionist
(http://www.newstarget.com/007133.html)

And I can show you a Muslim who states he likes pork chops, but it don't make it true.

You're acting like we're giving them Drano. I'm sure one SPAM sandwich ain't gonna kill em. I've ate em a hundred times.

beermotor
07-20-2007, 01:27 PM
I'm sorry to report that BLS just died of colon cancer.

Please join us in our prayers for his loved ones during this trying time.

BLS
07-20-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm sorry to report that BLS just died of colon cancer.

Please join us in our prayers for his loved ones during this trying time.

TA DA!!

I'm still here.

http://www.tomandjerryonline.com/images/ta-da.jpg

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 01:33 PM
I would wisely use discretion with your sources. In particular, this source is a "Holistic Nutritionist." This was not stated in your previous posts, and does contain information the general person would want to know if they are considering not eating processed meats, as someone who is a "Holistic Nutritionist" would more then not take advantage of facts. However, even he admits there is no correlation between the nitrates and cancer. (more importantly, correlation does not equal causation)In addition, unless you are a vegan, (and even then) you are most likely eating processed meats anyways. In addition, if you are poor, and looking to a food shelter to provide you with food, processed meats are the only way that they can store these items in a longer term capacity. Heck, I would love to have cows out back in the pasture and slaughter them once a month for fresh meat, but...that just isn't realistic. More importantly, these kids need all the food groups as defined by the USDA Food chart, which includes protein. In fact, SPAM is probably a better grade meat then what they are getting from their subsidized school lunch program.

Razmear
07-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Please move any discussion about the evils of processed food to a different thread.
I am referring people, including the media to this thread to find out more about the event tomorrow, and it does not help the cause to have concerns about nitrate levels in canned meat clogging up the planning activities.

Thank you for your consideration.

eb

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 01:42 PM
Raz, what if you get donations after 5pm?

specsaregood
07-20-2007, 01:43 PM
including the media to this thread to find out more about the event tomorrow

I would not recommend doing that. If they do their work and find it-- OK, but the threads can be a bit unpredictable.

beermotor
07-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Agreed - do you need a hand dealing with them? I'm happy to help contribute quotes or whatever.

Razmear
07-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Raz, what if you get donations after 5pm?

I guess I'll have to contact the donors and see if they want a refund, or if they want me to send the cash on to the Ron Paul campaign.

eb

Razmear
07-20-2007, 01:46 PM
I would not recommend doing that. If they do their work and find it-- OK, but the threads can be a bit unpredictable.

It's already been done, at about 1pm EST today.

eb

BLS
07-20-2007, 01:48 PM

eb

I'll delete my threads if you wish.

Razmear
07-20-2007, 01:55 PM
I'll delete my threads if you wish.

No worries, I just didn't want this thread to turn into a flame war about the evils of processed food.

eb

specsaregood
07-20-2007, 01:56 PM

eb

Well how about this then for any reporters reading this thread:

Ron Paul promotes an Open Government and exposing Government Secrecy. His supporters mirror his message by doing their grassroots organizing efforts in an open manner on a publicly available message board. :)

Razmear
07-20-2007, 02:03 PM
Just got a local reply from a Ron Paul supporter with a BJ's Wholesale card and a pickup truck!

eb

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 02:24 PM
sweeet:)

BLS
07-20-2007, 02:34 PM
No worries, I just didn't want this thread to turn into a flame war about the evils of processed food.

eb

Yeah, considering we had about 100 positive posts and then someone chime in claiming we're trying to off them or something, it got a little wierd.

PS - Please post photos of picking up the grub and loading it up. I'm stoked to see a case of SPAM delivered!

On behalf of the Ron Paul SPAMMERS worldwide (you know who all 3 of you are!), we would like to present this case of SPAM to the food shelf in the name of Ron Paul.

(all the cans should have Ron Paul pictures on em.:cool:

Razmear
07-20-2007, 02:45 PM
(all the cans should have Ron Paul pictures on em.:cool:

Someone suggested stickers for the cans about 15 pages back, that would be a great idea if someone can produce them quick enough.

It looks like the guy with the truck isn't going to be able to meet me at BJ's Warehouse til about 8:30, so we'll have about 30 minutes to get in and spend everyone's money :D

I'm still hoping for a more local reply cuz Greenville is about a 45 minute drive for me each way.

eb

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 02:54 PM
lol; you could put a bumper sticker on the cases?

BLS
07-20-2007, 02:57 PM
lol; you could put a bumper sticker on the cases?

There you go!

Razmear
07-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Just received another $20 towards the cause! Thanks.

Looks like I'll be sitting around for a while longer before I go to BJ's with the card holder leaving here about 7:45.

eb

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 03:02 PM
:) I sent out a few emails....maybe they will send money as well?!

Jennifer Reynolds
07-20-2007, 03:03 PM
///

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Raz - This is really picking up steam as the day goes by ! Hahaha! I love it!

maiki
07-20-2007, 03:10 PM
Just received another $20 towards the cause! Thanks.

Looks like I'll be sitting around for a while longer before I go to BJ's with the card holder leaving here about 7:45.

eb

Do you have a Printer? If so, if you pick up some label sheets, you can print stickers.

http://web.mit.edu/maiki/Public/rp.pdf

http://web.mit.edu/maiki/Public/rp-nolines.pdf

PDF's are photoshop pdf's so about 8 mb each, at 300dpi. If someone needs a smaller format for faster download, let me know.

Hi-res pdf's of 2.6"x1" label sheets. one with label guides, the other without.

Razmear
07-20-2007, 03:10 PM
Yeah, I just hope I can do it justice when I go shopping with your money.

eb

Jennifer Reynolds
07-20-2007, 03:12 PM
///

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 03:13 PM
I'm not worried in the least! This will be fun to hear about this weekend! :)

Jennifer Reynolds
07-20-2007, 03:16 PM
///

Razmear
07-20-2007, 03:17 PM
20$ donation on its way.

Brings the total up to $269.47 on the PayPal debit card.

Thanks!

Jennifer Reynolds
07-20-2007, 03:18 PM
///

beermotor
07-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Sniff! Razmear has way more money than me!

Jennifer Reynolds
07-20-2007, 03:20 PM
///

Razmear
07-20-2007, 03:23 PM
Sniff! Razmear has way more money than me!

LOL, put your paypal address up here and take some for the cause!

BeerMotor is also bringing food into Spartanburg from Atlanta for the Spam Spartanburg Extravaganza :D

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 03:25 PM
This is going to be great! :) I can't wait to see the shock on their faces! Hahaha! Someone bring a camera please!

Roxi
07-20-2007, 03:32 PM
does buying it for charity make it tax exempt? and name something that doesn't cause cancer,

and WAY TO GO...this thread shows me exactly why i come here, I love you guys !!!

Razmear
07-20-2007, 03:37 PM
It would be a tax deductible donation as it's going to a 501(c) charity, but I have no intention of requesting a receipt for what is being donated.
If you want to send a check directly to the shelter and receive the tax deduction their info is at:

eb

Roxi
07-20-2007, 03:43 PM
No i mean is it tax exempt at the grocery store? not for those donating the shopping money

Razmear
07-20-2007, 03:46 PM
I don't think so. Maybe if I was an employee of the shelter and had some form or paperwork, but I doubt just saying I'm getting it for a shelter would save me the 3% food tax.

eb

Roxi
07-20-2007, 03:48 PM
cool, i was just curious

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 03:56 PM
Maybe you can just be one on "TV"

Cindy
07-20-2007, 04:07 PM
How bout in the future and as much as it can be limited at this point, we include only ONE token can of spam ham.

I'm suprised it became an issue.

These are kids without a home, in a shelter, because they had been abused and neglected, living off the kindness of strangers at this point , who no one here even knew existed 3 days ago and now, people are concerned that they may be eating ham?:confused:

Whatever and moving on......

I love that the suggestion for crayons coloring books and toys came into the mix.

I want to come up with a T shirt, sticker, sign design for future efforts.

Throw some ideas out for me......

So far I am playing with

S.P.A.M.
Supporting Pauls American Message
Through a Goodwill Campaign Tour
Charity Drives at Every Rally!

It's the last line I mostly feel stuck on.

I do want to help Spear one for the GOP debate in St. Petersburg this Sept 17th. There are 3 childrens homes in the area I would like to split up donations too. I bet Bay News 9 (over 3 million viewers) would LOVE to cover something like this. Glad I have time to work on it.

You guys are amazing at how much you've scrambled to pull this one off on short notice! Kudos!

This forum ROCKS!!!!!

Razmear
07-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Cindy!
See what you started?
Your $50 paypal to me has grown into $269.47!!!!

You Rock!!!

eb

specsaregood
07-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Charity Drives at Every Rally!

This is an idea that should be picked up on. Our Grassroots network is perfect for it and it goes right along with RP's message about the goodwill of Americans.

Every meetup needs to know about this. I'll bet you anything that people from Competitor's campaign are reading this; wishing they had thought of it and are considering duplicating the effort. Hi people from Edward's campaign. :)

Somebody take a picture of RP with the food. I want to see his reaction.

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 04:21 PM
Spam the internet. Check
Spam the Rallys. Check
Spam the polls. Check

Spam the Shelters !?! CHECK

See what living free can do for you community @ www.ronpaul2008.com

TexMac
07-20-2007, 04:24 PM
I sent 20 bucks. Hope it's not too late. If it is, use it for gas money for the caravan or something.

Cindy
07-20-2007, 04:25 PM
You started it and I think the rest of us just see so many positive merits and virtues adding this to Pauls campaign it's mind boggling.

The good will campaign of Ron Paul supporters........man thats a beautiful thing standing next to the shallow, fear mongering, smear campaigns others are running.

It's not just talk like Edwards "touring poor communities"

Pauls supporters are actually bringing physical relief to American kids in need with them along his campaign trail.

I love it!!!

Razmear
07-20-2007, 04:32 PM
I sent 20 bucks. Hope it's not too late. If it is, use it for gas money for the caravan or something.

Nope it's not too late. I'm leaving for BJ's Warehouse in Greenville about 7:30pm to meet a Ron Paul supporter with a BJ Club Card and a pickup truck, so I won't have to worry about the Jeep not being able to handle the load.

Thanks Tex!

eb

Edit:
Your donation brings the PayPal balance to $288.59

TexMac
07-20-2007, 04:35 PM
Sounds good! You guys are great. I'm trying to get someone in the campaign for you but I haven't succeeded yet.

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 04:37 PM
It's easy to

Sell
Pauls
Anti-neocon
Morals

To Every American!

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Create

Support
Paul
@
meetup.com

Razmear
07-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Seek
Paul's
Amazing
freedom_junkie
07-20-2007, 04:55 PM
be careful too much spam is like saying let them eat cake, and you know what happened to Mari right?

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 04:58 PM
No, what happend?

Joe Knows
07-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Create

Support
Paul
@
meetup.com

Big J.

I just became a spammer.:) :)

BLS
07-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Razmear, any word from RP HQ yet?

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 05:14 PM
Ba ba ba ba ba BOOYEAH!

Razmear
07-20-2007, 05:15 PM
No word from RPHQ yet.
I just got off the phone with BJs and spoke with their manager and they are going to have a $300 assortment of food selected for us when we get there at 8:30pm.
I let her know that it would be two guys shopping and we might need some help :)
and that it was going for a Children's Shelter, and because they close at 9 we wanted to give them a heads up.

eb

Jennifer Reynolds
07-20-2007, 05:20 PM
///

Jennifer Reynolds
07-20-2007, 05:21 PM
No word from RPHQ yet.
I just got off the phone with BJs and spoke with their manager and they are going to have a $300 assortment of food selected for us when we get there at 8:30pm.
I let her know that it would be two guys shopping and we might need some help :)
and that it was going for a Children's Shelter, and because they close at 9 we wanted to give them a heads up.

eb

///

BLS
07-20-2007, 05:23 PM
don't forget the SPAM!!!

I'm pretty sure he knows he'd be strung up by the Achilles if he didn't show up with SPAM.
:D

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 05:23 PM
Yes; I think so!

BLS
07-20-2007, 05:24 PM
BTW, I wanted to put a big THANK YOU out to Razmears, BeerMotor, all the contributors here and all those that offer any help in your mission today and tomorrow.

I have faith you'll all make us proud. I can't WAIT to see videos of this.

Razmear
07-20-2007, 05:25 PM
lol, if there is no Spam on the pallet from BJ's I'm sure some will arrive in the morning from the supporters, and I'll pick up a few cans myself at WalMart if needed.

Now I have to figure out how to make a Spam Can hood ornament for the ride in :)

eb

Jennifer Reynolds
07-20-2007, 05:27 PM
///

Jennifer Reynolds
07-20-2007, 05:28 PM
///

BLS
07-20-2007, 05:28 PM
lol, if there is no Spam on the pallet from BJ's I'm sure some will arrive in the morning from the supporters, and I'll pick up a few cans myself at WalMart if needed.

Now I have to figure out how to make a Spam Can hood ornament for the ride in :)

eb

Hey, were you guys able to locate any RP bumper stickers to put on the SPAM, or did you decide not to do it?

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Someone's got to have some RP bumper stickers at the rally?!? non?

Jennifer Reynolds
07-20-2007, 05:36 PM
///

Jennifer Reynolds
07-20-2007, 05:38 PM
///

Razmear
07-20-2007, 05:40 PM
I just talked to Chris (the guy with the BJs card and the truck) and because his truck doesn't have a cover and he's got to run around with banners for the Greenville event later tonight we will be picking up the goods at the BJ's when they open in the morning. I called BJs and let them know of the change of plans.
From there we will head directly to the Spartanburg site and help set up the banners for that location and so forth.
Chris will also be MCing the Spartanburg event by the way.

I don't like cutting things so close, but this does save me a 90 mile round trip to Greenville tonight.

If anyone wants to meet up at the BJ's in Greenville at 9am it is off of exit 51 on I-85 at 1118 Woodruff Industrial Ln. (left over the highway, then first left).

Chris is also adding another $20 to the can fund.

eb

BLS
07-20-2007, 05:41 PM
In fact, I can start work on it tonight. I will fill in the details when I get them. How's about "Ron Paul "spammers" spam children's charity at local event" for a headline?

I like it Jennifer. Definately something with "RP SPAMmers SPAM local Food Shelter"

Guys, can you give her any details on how much $$ was donated total (roughly), etc.?

Carl_S
07-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Great idea -- wish I could be there!

Razmear
07-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Just remember that there are really only 5 of us using multiple IDs and IP masking software to give the impression of a much greater force :)

BLS
07-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Just remember that there are really only 5 of us using multiple IDs and IP masking software to give the impression of a much greater force :)

It's all about VPN'ing into my numerous customers sites so I can vote again from there. :D

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 05:48 PM
Good thing I'm in IT or I would never be able to spoof this many IPs! hahaha!

Razmear
07-20-2007, 08:55 PM
a bump before bed, remember your cans and no more paypal donations please.

Thanks for everything everyone did to make this happen, and I'll see you in the morning.

Eric

Mom4Ron
07-20-2007, 09:14 PM
I'd like to echo the thanks. You guys are the best!

JosephTheLibertarian
07-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Will it be maxed out for tomorrow? Last count I heard was 325... I hope it hits 400+

BIG_J
07-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Thanks everyone and good luck!

beermotor
07-21-2007, 04:24 AM
well if you cound my $125, it's over $500. I bought $50 worth of canned veggies from publix last night; it's quite a few cans, heh. $75 worth of cases of spam coming tomorrow.

It'll be fun to talk to the newspaper folks.

JosephTheLibertarian
07-21-2007, 04:31 AM
Packed house ??

beermotor
07-21-2007, 04:58 AM
Oh you mean people ... I imagine we will fill it up without too much difficulty.

Razmear
07-21-2007, 05:00 AM
Good Morning! The Revolution Begins Today!!!!

I'll be at BJ's in Greenville at 9am to pick up $300 in canned goods and should be at the Spartanburg event before 10am.

See you all there.

I'll be on FRS channel 8, just yell for Raz or e.b. (there both me) :)

eb

BLS
07-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Go get em guys!

rich34
07-21-2007, 09:21 AM
Any idea what the early crowd size is like?

TexMac
07-21-2007, 10:04 AM
Good Morning! The Revolution Begins Today!!!!

I'll be at BJ's in Greenville at 9am to pick up $300 in canned goods and should be at the Spartanburg event before 10am.

See you all there.

I'll be on FRS channel 8, just yell for Raz or e.b. (there both me) :)

ebI think I got the word to the campaign, but since everyone is enroute, I don't know if you'll hear from them. I'm pretty sure they'll know about it, though.

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-21-2007, 10:13 AM
What, no one live-streaming Ch 8? You'd think one of our loveable geeks could do that!

Johnnybags
07-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Any reports?

torchbearer
07-21-2007, 05:43 PM
http://www.jivasrecords.com/photo_3.jpg

saw this posted on the other thread.

Jennifer Reynolds
07-21-2007, 05:56 PM
///

BLS
07-21-2007, 05:58 PM
As soon as people have details of how the donation went. Let me know. By the way, does anyone want me to mention the name of this site in the article? If one person says no, I will keep it out.
Pros: It could bring people to the site
Cons: anything we said on this board about the donation idea could be twisted somehow? not sure, just a thought.

Anyway, reactions?

My personal opinion is MOST DEFINATELY mention this board.
We are growing in popularity, and having more people here will help organize things better throughout the country. Again, just my .02

I know Razmear said there was over $500 in contributions. He's creating a thread right now about his day.

Cindy
07-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Cons: anything we said on this board about the donation idea could be twisted somehow? not sure, just a thought.

Anyway, reactions?

I say a no for that reason. When a blog report of it goes up, that explains the good of it all in more depth and detail, I would refer reporters to that for more info.

Just my opinion on it.

I can't wait to hear details on how it went and was recieved. I am impressed they pulled off whatever they did with it in only a day and half.

We really won't know what sort of local press will come of it for days, and you tube videos for maybe a week or two.

To bad there wasn't enough time for anyone to make big signs on it. I did see that someone at a local meetup there did make a nice sticker design for the spam food drive. Not sure if anyone grabbed it and printed them off and brought them though.

Waiting waiting waiting............................