PDA

View Full Version : Question about canvassing (for those who have done it)

malkusm
01-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Hey guys, I've read a lot of the helpful hints on canvassing here in the forums and they've really helped. This isn't really a "how do I do it?" question, it's more of a technical question.

If I come across someone who is receptive to the message, what should I do? Do I mark that down on my walking list? Circling their name and all? I notice that there is a series of letters under each address, which seems like some sort of code which you can circle one of them.

"NH E M D+ U D- G S C T"

Is this just some computer drivel that doesn't mean anything, or should I know what this means? I seem to remember someone saying that the campaign would like to know where his supporters are, or something to that effect.

Thanks!

greves
01-06-2008, 04:54 PM
I'm guessing NH = Not Home, U = Undecided...

Eponym_mi
01-06-2008, 05:00 PM
The codes are there to help you determine what issues might be important BEFORE you knock on the door. But don't assume they're accurate. You might ask the person what issues are most important to them. If you have different issue specific slim jims, give them whatever is appropriate.

Unless your primary is very soon, you may find that people are still deciding and may not even know about RP. But if you do come across an RP supporter, you should definitely put a mark by their name. I took colored pens with me to indicate different things, i.e., supporter, wants sign, etc..

malkusm
01-06-2008, 07:32 PM
The codes are there to help you determine what issues might be important BEFORE you knock on the door. But don't assume they're accurate. You might ask the person what issues are most important to them. If you have different issue specific slim jims, give them whatever is appropriate.

Unless your primary is very soon, you may find that people are still deciding and may not even know about RP. But if you do come across an RP supporter, you should definitely put a mark by their name. I took colored pens with me to indicate different things, i.e., supporter, wants sign, etc..

Makes sense - thanks a lot. I was planning on asking about what issues they were most concerned with anyway...so no cause for concern. ;)