PDA

View Full Version : Call to Action: fixing the video streaming

texasliberty
01-06-2008, 12:50 PM
During my ride on the Blimp, I looked into the streaming video issue and why it doesn't work well over many cities. There are basically two problems. The O2 Reactor wireless in-flight internet unit has connectivity most of the time, but there's a lot of latency and packet loss. It works fine for GPS but it's not enough for video. Elijah ordered a new 4' external antenna that looks like it may improve this.

The other problem is the laptop; it's a Dell running XP; Elijah bought it on eBay for $250 and refurbished it. It maxes out CPU when dealing with video, sometimes interrupting the video stream, and it has the typical PC sluggishness and continuous random problem issues (it apparently crashed yesterday and had to be rebuilt). Tests we did with low-quality networks indicated that a MacBook functioned much better than XP. I believe that getting a MacBook, together with the new 4' antenna, should improve the video significantly. Here's my question for the group:

The middle end white MacBook costs a bit over $1200 (let's say $1400 with extra memory and sales tax). Would you be willing to pledge money for this specifically? If so, append pledges to this thread and maybe we can get this fixed! :)

bonium
01-06-2008, 06:06 PM
I think many people are feeling tapped out right now, including myself.

But being a heavy mac user myself, I understand the desire.

If there were a chipin or a paypal, I would consider a small donation.

Probably in the $10-20 range.

I can sacrifice a meal or two!

But, only if it looks like its going to happen.

Money is tight!!!

noztnac
01-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Macs rule. I have the one you are talking about.