PDA

View Full Version : An Actor's Healthcare Option

makrothymia
01-06-2008, 12:42 PM
This is something that is rarely addressed, because unless you live the life no one knows.
If one is an Actor, and has the rare opportunity to join the Union known as SAG. To join SAG one must be given a union job, but one can only get a union job; if one is a union member it's a catch-22.

Actor, Sag member- what are his healthcare options? First most actor's do not get speaking parts. One has to have an agent (ie lobbyist). So most actor's are background actors: filler, ambiance.

To become a background actor nowadays, you have to pay background casting companies to post your photo(s). There are a few in NYC. Usually the cost is around $25, or so.

Once your photo is posted you sit and wait until called. Why will they call you? because a production is being made and they need filler, or a type ie.bouncer, model. Now, remember not only do you need a production, but you are in a pool of thousands of actors.

You get the job. Yay. You work 2 days (typical). Then you sit and wait. You've probably earned $300 for both days.

What about healthcare? You can only sign up for healthcare when you qualify for healthcare. You have to work a minimum number of days near the 80's or earn 20,000+ Most background workers do not qualify. And most background actors work in the service industry which provides no healthcare either.

If you get an agent, lucky if he doesn't want to sleep with you, or he actually has an office, or he isn't too busy with his other job to lobby for you to audition.

My friends our political climate trickles down in to everything. The Howard Roark's (fountainhead, ayn rand) in the acting world are laughed at because they don't adopt the status quo, and give "them" what they want just for the part. My acting coach (very good one) laughed at a student and said poor you, you're still an idealist. It's sad, just sad.

I may have gotten some things wrong about the healthcare issue, so feel free to correct me.

angelatc
01-06-2008, 07:58 PM
So, people who work 9-5 should subsidize a career that has an abudance of labor and therefore offers minimal benefits?

thuja
01-06-2008, 08:02 PM
no one that is not a SAG member is going to get it. just stay well.

Corydoras
01-06-2008, 11:46 PM
It's part of the risk that comes with being an entrepreneur, and that is effectually what you are when you are pushing your own career.

makrothymia
01-07-2008, 12:06 AM
but I should have said that some of the candidates would like to penalize those who don't buy into healthcare, and my example was a hope that you could see what a horrible position it would place an actor. You can say able and willing to work, but that doesn't mean you'll be hired, or once hired you will be able to meet the criteria to apply for the healthcare. Thus, more than likely, you will be penalized, and have to pay the fee.

By no means am I suggesting that everyone should pitch in for my healthcare. Believe it or not, it has been cheaper paying cash/credit when trouble arises. I was shocked, too.

I guess, Doctor's prefer cash/credit rather than deal with insurance companies. My doctor has a deal with an MRI company. It will cost me $400 for an MRI. I'm not familiar with the cost of MRI's, but he said it usually is $1,000 for the service. Then he handed me a 30 day supply of pain medication.

Yes, it is a risk of being an entrepreneur. Money comes in waves, and then doesn't come at all. (but then I did have a 3 week Christmas vacation :)) I hit that juice bar as soon as I feel something coming on. :)

angelatc
01-07-2008, 01:26 AM
Insurance worked best when people paid for small bills (routine care and minor emergencies) out of pocket, and only carried major medical policies.

Corydoras
01-07-2008, 02:25 AM
Insurance worked best when people paid for small bills (routine care and minor emergencies) out of pocket, and only carried major medical policies.

Yes, as I'm sure you know, Dr. Paul speaks very highly of high-deductible insurance policies combined with tax deductions for all medical expenses. I just wish there was some way to make them more widely available.

John E
01-07-2008, 02:33 AM
makrothymia,

I forget the name of the group, but I remember seeing advertisements on the nyc subway about a group offering insurance to actors, writers and others in the creative fields? Have you checked into that and if so, how was it?

btw, I am familiar with the SAG dilemma and it is paradoxial. Good luck with it.

Birdlady
01-07-2008, 02:36 AM
but I should have said that some of the candidates would like to penalize those who don't buy into healthcare, and my example was a hope that you could see what a horrible position it would place an actor. You can say able and willing to work, but that doesn't mean you'll be hired, or once hired you will be able to meet the criteria to apply for the healthcare. Thus, more than likely, you will be penalized, and have to pay the fee.

By no means am I suggesting that everyone should pitch in for my healthcare. Believe it or not, it has been cheaper paying cash/credit when trouble arises. I was shocked, too.

I guess, Doctor's prefer cash/credit rather than deal with insurance companies. My doctor has a deal with an MRI company. It will cost me $400 for an MRI. I'm not familiar with the cost of MRI's, but he said it usually is $1,000 for the service. Then he handed me a 30 day supply of pain medication.

Yes, it is a risk of being an entrepreneur. Money comes in waves, and then doesn't come at all. (but then I did have a 3 week Christmas vacation :)) I hit that juice bar as soon as I feel something coming on. :)

I found that too. Whenever I use my health insurance it's a huge PITA. They never cover anything and it takes months fighting them to. Whenever I paid with cash the doctors loved me. They would cut the costs in half or more. My husband thought he broke his arm and they only charged him $40 for 3 xrays. Normally that would have been several hundred dollars to the insurance from what they told us!

It's sick. Unless you have something seriously wrong with you (like brain surgery or something), insurance is worthless to most people. If you are on a ton of medications, well you should be finding a way to get off of them any way. They are harmful in MOST (not all) situations.

makrothymia
01-07-2008, 11:45 AM
I'll have to look for the sign on the subway, John E. I think it might be the freelancers union.

(birdlady) I'm sure it was a nice surprise when the doctor was able to negotiate his own fee with you, as my doc did with me. I will be researching "carrying major medical policies." It's not a bad idea; if that option still exists.

btw, I don't subscribe to any government services not even Unemployment benefits.