PDA

View Full Version : MN State Caucus speech...

Michael Landon
01-06-2008, 11:00 AM
At the February 5th Minnesota Caucus, I'll be allowed to do a two minute speech on why Ron Paul should be the Republican Party Presidential nominee and I'm asking everyone to help me come up with the perfect speech.

Please post any issues I should focus on. And I'm always looking for tips and pointers of any sort.

Thanks.
ML

noxagol
01-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Taxes, economy, and the war and how it all fits together and why Ron Paul is the best for all three.

Driftar
01-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Here are the notes from mine. I didn't read it verbatim- i like to write things out like this and read over them several times so i have organized talking points in my head. Feel free to use any of it. It was specifically geared toward Iowa Republicans, and i actually changed it on the fly a bit because the audience consisited of crazy christian conservatives. I'm from Mankato/fairmont/blue earth area, and republicans there are more conservative. Twin Cities is a bit more moderate, but the great thing about Dr. Paul is his message can appeal to many people, so you probobly won't have to change your speech too much.

"I’m here on this chilly evening to support Congressman Ron Paul.
I’ve lived my entire life in small Midwestn towns, in Iowa, Minnesota, Missori. My family has always been strongly conservative. Some of my first memories involve picketing in front of our local hospital, urging them to stop the practice of abortion. I was too young to understand the total significance, but I knew we were fighting to protect the unborn- the right to life.

Many people don’t know that Ron Paul, a 10 term republican congressman of Texas, Is also an OB/GYN Doctor, who has delivered over 4,000 babies. He has a 100% Pro Life voting record. It’s one of the many reason’s I support this remarkable man.

Dr. Paul’s character stands out to me as well. He’s a father of 5, and grandfather of 18, and a devoted husband of 50 years. He’s a military veteran, serving in the United States Air Force for 5 years as a flight surgeon.

He was one of only four Republican Congressmen to support Ronald Reagan in 1976. Like Ronald Reagan, and Robert Taft, and Barry Goldwater, and Pat Buchanan, Ron Paul is a strict conservative, advocating economic freedom and individual liberty. Ron Paul has a 20 year, consistent voting record on these conservative principles.

Congressman Paul Advocates a Strong National Defense, and believes in responsibly Securing our Borders, and removing welfare incentives for illegal immigrants. He Voted against the war in Iraq, instead urging congress to hunt down the terrorists responsible for 9-11. He Opposes the doctrine of preemptive and unjust war, and will stop spending US taxpayer dollars to build and police foreign nations.

He’s a strict constitutionalist, and has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch. He opposes the Patriot Act, and unjust surveillance on American citizens. He has NEVER voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership, and fully respects second amendment rights.

Congressman Ron Paul is a believer in free markets, and economic freedom. He was called “The Taxpayers Best Friend” by The National Taxpayers Union. He has NEVER voted to raise taxes. He has NEVER voted for an unbalanced budget. He will protect Social Security for seniors, while recognizing a need to reform the system for system for future generations. He has NEVER voted to raise congressional pay or benefits.

This is one of the most important elections in decades, and we Iowans have responsibility of setting a trend for the rest of the nation- sending them a true conservative candidate who can not only unite the party, but expand it.

Ronald Reagan wrote “Libertarianism is the heart and soul of conservatism.” Liberty unites us, and only a candidate with the true conservative values of economic freedom and individual liberty will be victorious in 2008. Ron Paul has a 20 year, 100 percent consistent voting record on these conservative issues.

As a lifelong conservative, and lifelong Midwesterner, I’m proud to vote for Congressman Ron Paul, and I urge you to do the same. Thank you.

greves
01-06-2008, 11:22 AM
Just focus on the economy. Something like:

There is one common thread between all of these issues that get batted around every day on the political stage: money. Funding for this or that, taxes, the war, are we heading towards a recession or a boom? Ron Paul is the only true economist running for president, having studied economics for his entire life. Because money connects all these threads, only by fixing our sick monetary policy can we really fix all these problems people complain endlessly about. We need to STOP printing money out of thin air, we need money that is WORTH something - that HAS value - rather than money that is "just a piece of paper."

On the flip side, consider what our monetary policy today DOES do - it allows the bankers and the government (through awarding contracts) to run every aspect of our lives they may so choose. Let the PEOPLE, through the Congress - not the bankers - decide what should be our money. This will alleviate many if not all of our problems with regards to over-expensive health care, poor wages, inflation, no money for schools, and so on.

And who knows better what you want done with your money, politicians, or you? Don't let the politicians keep spending and spending. The Constitution was set up to provide for a defense of this land, and not much more. It is up to each state to decide on the vast majority of problems that arise within that state, not bureaucrats in Washington DC. Fix our monetary policy, and let the people spend their money the way THEY best see fit. As Dr. Paul says, we do NOT need the government to take care of us from cradle to grave. We are intelligent, good-natured human beings. We want what is best for us and our children. We willingly give too much of our own power to power-hungry politicians through ignorance, and we need to take that back.

This country was intended to be run by We the People, not bureaucrats. We the People want Ron Paul in office to set a good example for us to use, not to run every aspect of our lives. Ron Paul is the only candidate who can fix our monetary policy and take back our lives from the bankers - Ron Paul truly is the people's candidate.

rodo1776
01-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Once you get your speech down please make sure you have votes lined up and a slate of RP delegate candidates and you know what your strategy is. Giving a speech is great. Walking out of there with 100% of the delegates and alternates is the key. The greatest speech in the world does not win caucus delegates. Prior organization and strategy is the key. Please everyone focus on that.

jorlowitz
01-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Who is Ron Paul? Ron Paul is a doctor, a statesman, an economist, and a father: Paul served in the U.S. Air Force as a flight surgeon, delivered 4,000 babies as a private-practicing OBGYN, and served 10 terms in Congress in the House of Representatives. He is a father to his 5 children and a husband to his wife, Carol, with whom he lives on the Gulf Coast of Texas and has been married to for 50 years.

Ron Paul is the most ideologically consistent, fiscally responsible, constitutionally-minded politician in Washington: In his 20 years as a Texas congressman he never once voted to raise taxes. He voted against the Iraq war, against the Patriot act, against violations of habeas corpus, and repeatedly against unbalanced budgets. Not only does he vote his conscience, he lives it: Paul never accepted Medicare from his patients in private practice; he turned down a generous Congressional pension; and he has repeatedly returned a portion of his yearly congressional budget to Congress.

Ron Paul is committed to freedom in all of its forms: He is for free markets, free trade, free citizens, and free minds. He is for freedom from government, freedom from tyranny, freedom from bureaucracy, and freedom from debt.

Ron Paul is supported by tens of thousands of people from all across the political spectrum for many different but important reasons. Here are a few for which you might join them: If you're pro-market, pro-gun, pro-life, pro-gold, pro-business, pro-trade, or just pro-America; if you're a Libertarian, a Constitutionalist, an Independent, a classical Conservative, or a progressive Democrat... if you're against the Iraq war, against the Drug War, against regulation of the Internet, against government deficits, against taxes, against bureaucracy, against illegal immigration, against imperialism, against abortion, against federalized education, or against government subsidies; if you abhor secrecy, wiretapping, entangling alliances, preemptive war, torture, or violations of habeas corpus; if you think the founders were right; if you think the current administration is dangerous; if you think the wars of the 20th century have been costly and made us less safe; if you think people should be responsible for their own behavior; if you think you can't lead the world to freedom at the barrel of a gun; if you think the Constitution is inviolable; if you think citizens should always be able to defend themselves...

if you're young and believe things can be different; if you're middle aged and think things are going in the wrong direction; or if you're older and think the US is losing it's standing in the world and it's legacy... if you're a small business owner who wants to keep more of his earnings, an avid reader who doesn't want his or her library book-list checked by the FBI, a Podcaster who thinks the Internet should never be tampered with, a citizen who thinks government must be accountable to the people, a young adult who doesn't want ten trillions dollars of US debt to fall on him or her, a political economist who fears China being the main lender of US credit, a teacher who doesn't want the government's testing policy determining his or her curriculum, a mother or father who doesn't want her son or daughter to die in wars that won't make us safer, a cancer patient who thinks access to medicinal drugs is a citizen's right, a parent who thinks families can and should regulate what their children watch and surf, or just a person who's ready for a change.

There are many reasons to support Ron Paul and many different reasons that people do, but behind all of them is the honesty and the transparency of one very thoughtful man: Perhaps the most important reason to support Ron Paul is not even for his positions but because Ron Paul always speaks his mind, and when he does he speaks the truth. He doesn't pander or craft sound-bites. He's not about looking polished or sounding rehearsed. He doesn't need to have other people write his speeches for him; because, after writing hundreds of his own articles, drafting hundreds Congressional speeches, authoring tens of Congressional bills, and publishing four of his own books, he knows what he thinks, and he says it. As a studied economist, a phenomenally accomplished doctor, and a dedicated politician, Ron Paul doesn't need to be handled.

But he does need your vote...

Thank You

drfarrington
01-06-2008, 12:13 PM
If you can slip it in, make a mention that 70% of the country is against the war, and no Republican pro-war candidate will be president.

If you don't vote Ron Paul, you're voting Democrat.

risk_reward
01-06-2008, 12:21 PM
I live in Minnesota as well.

Start by telling them about your background. ie lifelong Republican or Democrat turned Republican because of 1 2 3.

Talk about local politics, because people involved in politics will be interested in more than just the national election.

I live in a conservative precinct, yet a liberal democrat has won the last two state rep elections. She is now running for US rep, so I will talk about the need to put on a strong campaign against her for the US rep spot and to fill her spot in the state congress.

You may not want to mention who you support, read the crowd. My guess is most of the people not already voting for Paul will be hard to get over to Paul's side in 2 minutes. Instead focus on issues and local politics. Talk like you know what you are doing and are here to do more than just railroad you candidate of choice into the presidency. If they pressure you to support a candidate say you are undecided. Talk about issues that are important to you that are important to most of the GOP.

TruePatriot44
01-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Talk about:

20 years in congress and never voted for a tax increase or unbalanced budget.

Against amnesty for illegal immigrants and is for a constitutional amendment to end birth right citizenship for illegal immigrant children.

Voted against the war in Iraq, which did nothing more than empower Iran in the region, increase Al-Qaeda's recruitment, and diverted the necessary forces from finishing the job in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Talk about it as a huge military blunder and colossal waste of money.

Against socialized medicine. Talk about how Ron is a doctor and understands this nation's healthcare needs to be more market driven than having more government involvement.

He's an OBGYN and delivered over 4,000 babies. He advocates overturning Roe versus wade.

He's consistent and won't flip flop or cave in to special interests. He is the true conservative.

jake
01-06-2008, 12:34 PM
drop the line "Who Is Ron Paul?" for these speeches. you don't want to give people any impression that he is a lesser-known, it's irrelevant so why touch on it?

tamor
01-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Stress that Dr. Paul has transition plans for his suggestions (I think many people think he will make these things happen, like getting rid of the IRS and Social Security overnight) so people are not scared of his changes.

risk_reward
01-06-2008, 12:46 PM
People, he is trying to be a delegate in a caucus state, not a Ron Paul commerical. He should only talk about Ron Paul if it will get him elected as delegate. Most likely it will not. There is no requirement to say who you support, but there may be pressure to do so.

Talk about issues that you think will be important to the people in the room, including local politcs and national issues. Try to feel out the people in the room before hand and adjust your speech accordingly. Speak passionately and look them in the eye. Speak about issues that are important to you that others will most likely agree with.

allyinoh
01-06-2008, 12:54 PM
At the February 5th Minnesota Caucus, I'll be allowed to do a two minute speech on why Ron Paul should be the Republican Party Presidential nominee and I'm asking everyone to help me come up with the perfect speech.

Please post any issues I should focus on. And I'm always looking for tips and pointers of any sort.

Thanks.
ML

Taxes, ECONOMY!, Healthcare, and foreign policy. I would focus more on the issues like the economy, taxes and healthcare. Most people know where he stands on foreign policy.

Good luck and do us proud! ;)

risk_reward
01-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Taxes, ECONOMY!, Healthcare, and foreign policy. I would focus more on the issues like the economy, taxes and healthcare. Most people know where he stands on foreign policy.

Good luck and do us proud! ;)

Once again. This is a caucus state. This person is trying to get themselves elected, not Ron Paul. Talk about issues that are important to you and the people in the room, not Ron Paul. The only way I would talk about Ron Paul is if I was assured of getting 51% of the vote, otherwise no way.

Michael Landon
01-06-2008, 02:52 PM
So, basically, if I walk into the room and 9 out of the 10 people are wearing Huckabee shirts/stickers then I should try and rile up the crowd by spewing a bunch of Pro-Huckabee rhetoric to get myself elected as the Delegate and then when the time comes for the Delegates to vote just cast my vote for Ron Paul? Sounds good. :)

Thanks.
- ML