PDA

View Full Version : Largest Meetup (Austin, TX) only 4 Meetups so far?

mconder
07-18-2007, 04:02 PM
The largest Ron Paul Meetup in Austin, TX has only had 4 Meetups so far!!! Other large Meetups have had like 25+ Meetups. This is really discouraging. It's almost like being sabotaged in Austin! WTF!

paulitics
07-18-2007, 04:08 PM
The largest Ron Paul Meetup in Austin, TX has only had 4 Meetups so far!!! Other large Meetups have had like 25+ Meetups. This is really discouraging. It's almost like being sabotaged in Austin! WTF!

Is it because of the large size? Someone the new york group (large size) had disbanded due to personality conflicts.

Can it be the ultimate size for a meetup group in getting things done should be much smaller?

MBA2008
07-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Well, instead of spending a lot of time meeting, we're spending time promoting the candidate. Everyone in Austin is in constant contact, and we do have regular meetings, but why is having more meetings better? Every minute spent in a meeting is a minute that can be spent talking to someone who doesn't know about Ron, preparing literature or materials, raising money, and other productive pursuits.

Ron Paul is a not a club. We meet regularly to make sure everyone's updated, then we go out and do what needs to be done. That's why the LARGEST RP meetup is so popular.

mconder
07-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Well, instead of spending a lot of time meeting, we're spending time promoting the candidate.

Our Meetup doesn't schedule it's Meetup's as Meetings, but rather activities to promote Ron Paul. I would have every activity anyone is doing posted in the Meetup calendar so people think the group is doing something and can become involved.

LibertyEagle
07-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Are you completely NUTS?

Austin is probably the most organized RP group in existence. They have an organizational structure and a website (www.ronpaulaustin.com) they use to converse with each other and carry out tasks. Therefore they don't need to spend as much time on "official meetups" as depicted through the "Meetup calendar".

They also created the application for Operation Spooner for calling Iowans. Which by the way was a huge undertaking.

Please don't go around saying this kind of stuff. Can you imagine the impact it's going to have on Austin people when they come along and see this crap? I can't imagine a more hard-working group than the folks in Austin.

By the way, there is even a RP Austin HQ.

http://www.ronpaulaustin.com/

spacebetween
Besides that, the Austin Meet-Up group has had much attention locally.

I think there are already so many RP supporters in Austin to begin with, but we're all doing our own part individually as well.

Wyurm
I can confirm their activity. My wife's parents live in Austin, and she is currently visiting them. I asked her if her parents knew about Ron Paul and she said they ought to since there are signs ALL over the place.

mconder
07-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Sorry, I was just curious seeing only 4 Meetups and 512 members. I didn't know they use a different website for their organization and activities. Like I said, a lot of the other large Meetups have 25+ Meetups posted. I'm sure those aren't all business or social meetings.

I think it Might be good from a perception point of view, to list all the activities on the Meetup calendar.

spacebetween
07-18-2007, 04:19 PM
Sorry, I was just curious seeing only 4 Meetups and 512 members. I didn't know they use a different website for their organization and activities. Like I said, a lot of the other large Meetups have 25+ Meetups posted. I'm sure those aren't all business or social meetings.

I think it Might be good from a perception point of view, to list all the activities on the Meetup calendar.

http://www.ronpaulaustin.com

:)

MBA2008
07-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Whose perception, yours?

Why are we even having this conversation?

I would put the contributions of the Austin Meetup up against any other Meetup group anywhere.

The "perception" of what we're doing is subjective and meaningless.

LibertyEagle
07-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Well, instead of spending a lot of time meeting, we're spending time promoting the candidate.

Our Meetup doesn't schedule it's Meetup's as Meetings, but rather activities to promote Ron Paul. I would have every activity anyone is doing posted in the Meetup calendar so people think the group is doing something and can become involved.

What you're pobably not understanding is that RP Austin is divided into teams. Each team has unique activities for the most part. Take a look:
http://ronpaulaustin.com/?q=about-ronpaulaustin-com

When you join, you select one or more teams you want to participate in.

LibertyEagle
07-18-2007, 04:28 PM
I know sometimes it's easy to get frustrated. But why worry about what another Meetup group is doing, if you're not being asked to help out on an effort in that state? Seems to me if we all took care of our own states, we'd be doing good, right?

Austin is doin' fine. Don't worry. In fact, I would go so far to say that if all the Meetups were this well organized and active, Ron Paul would not have a worry in the world.

quickmike
07-18-2007, 04:28 PM
I agree, Meetup group meetings are a waste of time once the basic core is set up. After that, phone calls and maybe emails with to-do items would be the way to go. Actually meeting as a group all the time seems a waste of energy that could be spent actually promoting Ron Paul to people who dont know about him.

In no way am I knocking meetup groups, they are a good way to get things started and organized.

"a little less conversation, a little more action please" -The King

mtmedlin
07-18-2007, 04:55 PM
I personally appreciate all peoples participation and dont really care about getting into any conflict with anybody who will help him get elected.

But thats just me :)

UCFGavin
07-18-2007, 05:00 PM
there is a reason the austin group is the largest, they are on the fucking ball

RonPaul2012grassroots
07-18-2007, 05:13 PM
there is a reason the austin group is the largest, they are on the fucking ball

I attribute it to there being a high percentage of Austinites being highly motivated and very talented folks who are cognizant and concerned about the direction the nation is headed.

How many Meet-up groups have a dedicated office with very high visibility and plenty of parking in an excellent location on the frontage road of a major freeway in the best part of town (more or less)?

Just because the Austin Meetup page doesn't reflect activity doesn't mean nothing is getting done. We have a number of things working, just like most other Ron Paul Meetup groups are faithfully doing.

andrewgreve
07-18-2007, 05:23 PM

it's not about the number of meetups a group has together. its about them all self-organizing to go out and do things with each other to raise awareness.

jacmicwag
07-18-2007, 05:29 PM
Hats off to Austin. We hope to see and meet a bunch of you over at the San Antonio Rally next weekend. Houston 24 Meetup.

ronpaulhawaii
07-18-2007, 05:54 PM
We just split our meet-up into three, we had many members who were unable to make the commute to mtgs. We've split one into three. We hope to split, over and over, until each town has it's own and there is a MU going on somewhere everyday.

I cannot find the link (from HQ.com) but remember reading somewhere that groups over 20 should consider this stratagy. Divide multiply, conquer...

I think it insures a more tailored appraoch to local concerns. As well as providing more venues for everyone and avoiding "personality" conflicts.

my$00.02

A co-worker looking over my shoulder just got some Liberty cards, said he will check it out, then left saying, "I don't know, I was kinda hoping to see Bill Clinton as First Lady" lol. I'm backstage at a banking conference and all the speakers are walking by me on the way on, and, off stage, blogging away with my RP R3volution shirt :D

LibertyOrDie
07-18-2007, 07:23 PM
Is there any ideas for assembling Texas RP Supports for when Fred Thompson shows up on July 25 in Houston? I think that would be awesome!!! :D

See here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=7842

BLS
07-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Yeah, I have to agree, there's no reason to bash them. They seem to be doing a better job than most meetups.

ThePieSwindler
07-18-2007, 08:07 PM
My meetup group has also only had a few official meetups, but we do alot of in between work, where a few of us get together and set up booths at festivals and such. Its pretty effective. We live in a fairly populated area of connecticut (which only has 3 million to begin with, and less thana million registered republicans.) so we can effectively canvas our area and reach ALOT of people - but we only have meetups once a month.

aknappjr
07-18-2007, 10:28 PM
No offense, but Austin, a small city one tenth the size of New York or L.A., has nearly twice the # of meetup supporters as NYC. This is, frankly, embarassing to ALL OTHER CITIES, including mine, Manhattan. We need to catch up!

Brandybuck
07-18-2007, 11:00 PM
Some people have lives outside of Ron Paul Meetups. Shocking, but true!

Some meetups have one meeting a week. For others that's way too frequent. It burns out organizers. Most meetups are every two weeks or once a month. The Austin Meetup is meeting twice a month. Their next meetup is Friday! If that's not frequent enough for you, start a new meetup.

rp4prez
07-18-2007, 11:02 PM
Some people have lives outside of Ron Paul Meetups. Shocking, but true!
This is so true!! I'm part of the austin meetup group.. but i'm in school and have a daughter.. makes things tough to get away.. but i'm on their mailing list and read everything they send out and reply to things if i can help out. :)

so even though I can't take part as much as i would like i do as much as i can from behind my computer screen!

Go Ron Paul! WOOHOO!

TheEvilDetector
07-18-2007, 11:25 PM
We just split our meet-up into three, we had many members who were unable to make the commute to mtgs. We've split one into three. We hope to split, over and over, until each town has it's own and there is a MU going on somewhere everyday.

I cannot find the link (from HQ.com) but remember reading somewhere that groups over 20 should consider this stratagy. Divide multiply, conquer...

I think it insures a more tailored appraoch to local concerns. As well as providing more venues for everyone and avoiding "personality" conflicts.

my$00.02

A co-worker looking over my shoulder just got some Liberty cards, said he will check it out, then left saying, "I don't know, I was kinda hoping to see Bill Clinton as First Lady" lol. I'm backstage at a banking conference and all the speakers are walking by me on the way on, and, off stage, blogging away with my RP R3volution shirt :D

Splitting up is the way to go, decentralised structure with the same message is impossible to stop. :) hehe