PDA

View Full Version : I Just Finished The Fountainhead!!!

BuddyRey
01-06-2008, 03:00 AM
After five days of INTENSE cramming, I finally finished the 44-hour-long audiobook of Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead. Alright, so I didn't actually read it, but cut me some slack. I'm an auditory learner!

It was quite a journey, and led to some very interesting philosophical thought and introspection.

POSSIBLE SPOILER AHEAD...

I kept drawing mental comparisons with the events of the story and real-life happenings, especially with regard to Ron Paul and his treatment by the media. The character of Ellsworth Toohey, for instance, made me do a double-take when he suggested that the perfect way to dehumanize and devalue the honorable and virtuous in man is to laugh at it...to laugh at everything, including that which is worthy of reverence, so that it soon becomes impossible to take anything seriously, or hold anything sacred. Remind anybody of something? For example, Rudy and Mitt snickering at RP during the debates? :eek:

I've been taking baby-steps toward libertarianism for the last several months, but only since finishing this novel have I finally become comfortable in embracing this school of thought to its ideological, economic, and philosophical conclusions. It's very ironic indeed that Ms. Rand did not consider herself a libertarian, although she definitely seemed to be a lot more hawkish on foreign policy, from what I've heard. It's a shame, and, in my opinion, a self-contradiction, but it doesn't seriously mar an otherwise meritorious philosopher.

I'm very excited (though somewhat nervous) about embarking on her 1,200 page magnum opus, Atlas Shrugged. Heck, I may even read this one for real!

Man from La Mancha
01-06-2008, 03:04 AM
All thru this last debate I saw them smirking at Ron, like on cue and instructed to do so.

Andrew-Austin
01-06-2008, 03:15 AM
Atlas shrugged is a great book, she is spot on with here views on government and capitalism. Some of her other views however seemed ignorant, but thats just my opinion.

BuddyRey
01-06-2008, 03:27 AM
Atlas shrugged is a great book, she is spot on with here views on government and capitalism. Some of her other views however seemed ignorant, but thats just my opinion.

From what I've read of hers (which, admittedly, isn't much) I more or less agree. There does seem to be a slight element of social darwinism, at least from my perspective, in her attitudes toward the disabled, which I find very distasteful. And I have trouble with the premise that there can be a single "objectivist" interpretation of reality, including the value of individuals placed solely on skill and intelligence, but I guess that goes back to the social darwinism issue.

Andrew-Austin
01-06-2008, 03:48 AM
From what I've read of hers (which, admittedly, isn't much) I more or less agree. There does seem to be a slight element of social darwinism, at least from my perspective, in her attitudes toward the disabled, which I find very distasteful. And I have trouble with the premise that there can be a single "objectivist" interpretation of reality, including the value of individuals placed solely on skill and intelligence, but I guess that goes back to the social darwinism issue.

You gotta put yourself in her cute little world of social Darwinism and radical absolutes, in order to enjoy the book.

All 'religious and spiritual' people are in a perpetual state of dying and emotional chaos? And it is a sin to help someone merely for the sake of it? Gotcha Ms. Rand. :p

Life is only meant for working ones ass off constantly? Oh joy Ms. Rand, of course Ms. Rand. :p

And yeah, new physics discoveries indicate reality isn't completely objective.