PDA

View Full Version : Ethical Relativism

thechitowncubs
01-06-2008, 02:56 AM
Did anyone catch the Ron Paul supporter educational term of the day?

Ethical Relativism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_relativism

However, if it is their society that has, for instance, rejected slavery, they presumably agree that it is wrong, at least if they are cultural relativists. This presents a meta-ethical problem in explaining what happens when a society has a collective change of heart. Consider the case of someone who has minority moral views within their society, and yet is vindicated (even relativistically) by future developments. If "right" and "wrong" literally mean "what my society accepts/rejects" then a social moral relativist in a slave-owning society of the past who says "slavery is wrong" is effectively saying "slavery is not approved of by my society", which is false — factually false. Yet, the relativist of the present is committed to agreeing with the relativist of the past, since they both oppose slavery.
-Wikipedia

This man is a genius.

wildflower
01-06-2008, 02:58 AM
I loved when he mentioned that, that is something I have been talking about, and debating, for years.

thechitowncubs
01-06-2008, 03:10 AM
Never heard of it before, wow I can't imagine how stupid i'd be without ron paul.

0zzy
01-06-2008, 03:13 AM
summarize4me.

thechitowncubs
01-06-2008, 03:15 AM
Basically the philosophical concept that the views of an individual can either reflect beliefs relative to their societal, cultural beliefs of the present or be guided by absolute relativism of principles and other non relative objective forces.

I think that sums it up correctly

wildflower
01-06-2008, 03:23 AM
Well, atheists here may part ways with him on this... but to sum it up, moral/ethical relativism is the view that there is no objective moral standard that exists. So what that really boils down to is that there is no right or wrong.

Interestingly, most philosophers don't agree with it, because it is such a flawed idea. And even when people say they believe it, they don't act as if they do.

If you want to read a great book that talks about this topic and about natural law... read CS Lewis' Mere Christianity. (don't let the title put you off if you're a nonbeliever, it's an excellent book, and a classic)

thechitowncubs
01-06-2008, 03:26 AM
Oh I see so it would be correct to describe Ron Paul as a non-relativist with objective moral guidance based on his principles?

wildflower
01-06-2008, 03:29 AM
Oh I see so it would be correct to describe Ron Paul as a non-relativist with objective moral guidance based on his principles?

Yes. If I remember correctly, it was part of his reply to the question about principles. He was speaking against ethical relativism, although he didn't really go into it, he just mentioned it.

Xonox
01-06-2008, 03:30 AM
Did Ron Paul say something about this? It deffinitely describes him in any case.

thechitowncubs
01-06-2008, 04:08 AM
Did Ron Paul say something about this? It deffinitely describes him in any case.

Ya in the question about what principles guided him I believe. I learned a lot from his answer. I recommend reading about the relativism concept.

Mark
01-06-2008, 06:19 AM
I loved when he mentioned that, that is something I have been talking about, and debating, for years.

Then you must be a genius too. :D

JordanL
01-06-2008, 06:36 AM
Never heard of it before, wow I can't imagine how stupid i'd be without ron paul.

It's something hardcore conservatives have been talking about for years. That comment will make a lot of social conservatives pick up their heads and listen, because VERY few candidates ever touch on moral relativism.

idiom
01-06-2008, 06:44 AM
The debate has actually moved on in 30 years, like the evolution debate, but the popular debate is stuck.

Athiest philosphers have an absolutist doctrine (except for the nihilists) because at the end of the day they want to be able to firmly bask in their own rightness.

Absolutism is not actually a christian philosophy. If morality is absolute then you don't need God to tell you what it is. Traditionally Christians have said morality is whatever God says it is. While this seems absolute because it changes so little, it's actually a relativist idea.

NYgs23
01-06-2008, 06:50 AM
The Pope talks about this a lot. "The culture of relativism" by which morals are presumed to changed with cultural fashions, instead of being bound to objective truth. And of course, the Pope is pro-life and anti-war, like Ron Paul.

constituent
01-06-2008, 06:52 AM
Basically the philosophical concept that the views of an individual can either reflect beliefs relative to their societal, cultural beliefs of the present or be guided by absolute relativism of principles and other non relative objective forces.

I think that sums it up correctly

the same applies to money... sorta

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-06-2008, 07:04 AM
Well, atheists here may part ways with him on this...

I haven't found that to be true. They part ways when it's suggested that morality can only be derived from writings inspired by a supreme being.

If you've debated this for years, you probably know a lot more about it than I do, but I don't think Christian philosophers have a monopoly on the idea that ethical relativism can be extremely dangerous, and most philosophers are interested in having a coherent and consistent philosophy.