PDA

View Full Version : Wikia wants us

mdh
07-18-2007, 02:47 PM
The other day, I was approached by a staff member of Wikia, Inc. Wikia is the for-profit arm of wikimedia, the company run by Jimmy Wales, which owns and operates wikipedia. Apparently some folks there are big fans of Ron Paul, and would be happy to have us on their site. Of course, they reap free market benefits from this as well - Ron Paul supporters are active on the net, and they'd likely see a lot of hits from it, no lie. I think it may be worth our time to oblige them, however. The individual who approached me is verified to be an employee of Wikia and works directly for Jimmy Wales. He's asked that he remain anonymous beyond that.

Anyways, wikia is in the process of launching a new site - http://politics.wikia.com/ and the person I spoke to had made it known to me that he'd love nothing more than a bunch of rabid Ron Paul fans to come in and help build up the content base there in a way that is positive for both their corporate goals of getting visitors and profiting, and their individual goals of seeing Dr. Paul receive positive publicity.
It's up to each of you if you wish to participate in this endeavour. As I've said, I see some real value there, and it's nice to know that some corporations such as this are stocked with folks who find Dr. Paul's message appealing. If you do decide to, you can get started at http://politics.wikia.com/
As a sign of good will on their end, check out who the featured politician is right now on the main page for the launch of the site. ;)

Delaware
07-18-2007, 02:51 PM
Very nice, Ron Paul would do well to have companies such as Wikia and Google and other large online companies backing him up. Any publicity we can get is good. We should give this a shot.

beermotor
07-18-2007, 02:52 PM
That link is timing out for me ...

kalami
07-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Why not start our own wiki news thingy, where the community maintains the profits?

mdh
07-18-2007, 03:06 PM
Why not start our own wiki news thingy, where the community maintains the profits?

A few reasons, in my opinion. First off, we already have one - ronpaulhq.com has a wiki. Secondly, it'd just be more preaching to the choir. There're tons of Ron Paul sites by Ron Paul fans for Ron Paul fans - this is a more general site that will attract a more general audience, and provide us with a much larger number of people to put Dr. Paul's candidacy in front of for them to research. Finally, wikia is a large and existing site and gets tons of hits just from in and of itself. We'd have to dish out huge amounts of cash in advertising to get anywhere near what wikia already has.

pazzo83
07-18-2007, 03:09 PM
I'm creating an account to write articles. Looks like a pretty decent site that they have, although it is having some loading issues on certain pages.

DeadheadForPaul
07-18-2007, 03:11 PM
I'll definitely contribute. I'm a somewhat active editor on Wikipedia, so I'd be more than happy to help out Mr. Wales with this new endeavor as I am a big fan of his work