PDA

View Full Version : A winning issue/ No more toxic waste in SC

noztnac
01-06-2008, 01:24 AM
http://www.topix.com/com/avx/2007/12/chemical-linked-to-cancer-toxic-waste-at-s-c-plant-kept-quiet-for-26-years

South Carolinians are very angry that the toxic waste created in other states ends up being stored in SC.

rancher89
01-06-2008, 10:27 AM
bump

noztnac
01-06-2008, 10:54 PM
This is an old article but we lost the battle.

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/jun2002/2002-06-21-06.asp

noztnac
01-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Excerpt:
RICHMOND, Virginia, June 21, 2002 (ENS) - A federal appeals court has denied South Carolina Governor Jim Hodges' request to bar plutonium shipments from other states, dealing another blow to the state's suit against plans to send tons of surplus nuclear materials to South Carolina for reprocessing. The court agreed to fast track Hodge's appeal, but the Energy Department has said the shipments could begin as early as Saturday.

On Tuesday, U.S. District Judge Cameron Currie ordered Governor Hodges not to block plutonium shipments using state troopers or other means. Hodges sent troopers to the state's borders last week after Judge Currie threw out his lawsuit challenging the legality of the planned shipments, but withdrew them Tuesday after Currie ruled those efforts unconstitutional.

Local officials trained by the DOE inspect the loading of spent nuclear fuel onto a tractor trailer along the route to the Savannah River Site. (Photo courtesy NEI)

Currie called it "a sad day for South Carolina," noting that Governor Hodges, "who has taken an oath to uphold the Constitution must be ordered by a court to obey it."
The Department of Energy (DOE) plans to send 34 metric tons of plutonium from three former nuclear weapons facilities to the Savannah River Site for conversion into fuel for nuclear reactors. The plan is crucial to the DOE's ongoing cleanup of the obsolete weapons sites, and is part of an agreement with Russia to reduce stockpiles of weapons grade nuclear materials.

noztnac
01-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Why is waste created in New Mexico shipped to South Carolina?!!!!!

http://www.abqtrib.com/news/2007/sep/06/los-alamos-plutonium-heading-south-carolina/

fireworks_god
01-07-2008, 12:44 AM
So do you think, then, that South Carolina would be favorable to Ron Paul's elminate the Department of Energy stance? :)

We can run a quick line about that in an ad....

bbachtung
01-07-2008, 12:49 AM
Ron Paul has consistently opposed the creation of the Yucca Mountain site in Nevada through federal bullying; I see no reason why he wouldn't oppose this as well.

bbachtung
01-07-2008, 12:50 AM
It is too bad that the then-governor didn't keep the state police on the border to prevent the shipments.

Razmear
01-07-2008, 12:55 AM
The article is 6 years old and we have an new governor now, so I'm not sure its even a concern of many voters here.
The main issues here are gas and oil prices, taxes, and the economy. The environment is very low on the list, and is actually quite nice around here.

eb

fireworks_god
01-07-2008, 12:57 AM
The article is 6 years old and we have an new governor now, so I'm not sure its even a concern of many voters here.
The main issues here are gas and oil prices, taxes, and the economy. The environment is very low on the list, and is actually quite nice around here.

eb

You're right; it probably isn't a major concern, but I see no reason why we can't run a single sentence in the insert we're working on throwing together that says "Ron Paul stands for the principle of eliminating the Department of Energy and other costly, ineffective bureaucracies in order to return the power of government to the individual states."

:)

Razmear
01-07-2008, 01:00 AM
btw, people here are pro nuclear power in general, so spinning it that way would play better down here. There are plans for a new nuke plant by Duke Energy that would be a boost to the economy around here.

eb

fireworks_god
01-07-2008, 01:03 AM
Its my opinion that you need to get the government out of nuclear energy and put into it the scientific, academic community. :)

At least the state government.

noztnac
01-07-2008, 02:00 AM
It is a major concern to all of the South Carolinians I know. They are older than you probably. But remember, old people vote in much higher percentages than young voters.

noztnac
01-07-2008, 02:02 AM

eb

It may be nice in Anderson but you don't have to drink plutonium laced water. I wasn't asking you if this was an important issue. I'm telling you it is a very important issue.

noztnac
01-07-2008, 02:04 AM
btw, people here are pro nuclear power in general, so spinning it that way would play better down here. There are plans for a new nuke plant by Duke Energy that would be a boost to the economy around here.

eb

Many are strongly against nuclear energy. Read this article:

http://24.124.1.226/news/2007/dec/22/letter-editor-bashing-nuclear-energy/