View Full Version : A controversial topic in SC

noztnac
01-06-2008, 01:23 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savannah_River_Site

The Savannah River Site

Many residents want this closed down.

rancher89
01-06-2008, 10:28 AM
You do know that they have several new nuclear plants in the works, right???

corsairtro
01-06-2008, 06:35 PM
its also a MAJOR employer.... don't talk about shutting down if you want those employees to consider ron paul

noztnac
01-06-2008, 07:22 PM
its also a MAJOR employer.... don't talk about shutting down if you want those employees to consider ron paul

There are very few employees compared to the number of people who hate it.

Winston
01-06-2008, 07:35 PM
I think Paul would say this is a state issue and the right people to ultimately decide the status of the plant are those people who deal with the pollution and the jobs, themselves. Not the President. Therefore I dont think it should be an election issue, except to point out that Ron Paul would not limit NH ability to decide for themselves instead of subjugating the people of NH with Federal mandates.

I mean, right?

noztnac
01-06-2008, 10:27 PM
I think Paul would say this is a state issue and the right people to ultimately decide the status of the plant are those people who deal with the pollution and the jobs, themselves. Not the President. Therefore I dont think it should be an election issue, except to point out that Ron Paul would not limit NH ability to decide for themselves instead of subjugating the people of NH with Federal mandates.

I mean, right?

Yeah well it's not a state issue. South Carolinians have been forced to keep the plant open because the federal government mandates it. The feds also take toxic waste from other states and force SC to accept it or lose all federal funding for things like roads, infrastructure, etc.

noztnac
01-06-2008, 10:31 PM

What state are you from? We'll be happy to give your state those employees so you can have toxic waste and pollution in your water.

Check this out:

http://www.ratical.org/radiation/WorldUraniumHearing/MildredMMcCain.html
Excerpt:
I live downstream from the Savannah River Site. The Savannah River Site occupies 300 square miles on the South Carolina side of the Savannah River. It produces plutonium and tritium for nuclear weapons. It plays a crucial role in the United States Department of Energy's nuclear-weapons production complex which covers more than 3,900 square miles in 13 states and employs over 100,000 people. So you see, when we fight the plant, we are fighting the people because they say: "This is our livelihood, these are our jobs!" So we suffer from job blood-mail, job white-mail, where we have to decide: Do we work for the survival of our families or do we fight this nuclear nonsense and demand that it is taken out of our communities?

noztnac
01-06-2008, 10:59 PM
http://www.abqtrib.com/news/2007/sep/06/los-alamos-plutonium-heading-south-carolina/

Why should we be storing New Mexico's waste?

fireworks_god
01-07-2008, 12:42 AM
Yeah well it's not a state issue. South Carolinians have been forced to keep the plant open because the federal government mandates it. The feds also take toxic waste from other states and force SC to accept it or lose all federal funding for things like roads, infrastructure, etc.

Here's a winner! :cool:

fireworks_god
01-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Well, if it is that controversial, maybe its not... :)

There is probably a point we can't cross as we get local. We can't really pander to super local issues. We need to use the local to help sell Ron Paul, but the message is the same national message, just fine-tuned to South Carolina's locality.