PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this forum suffers being overly emotional/groupthink?

davidhperry
01-06-2008, 01:08 AM
In the comments after the Iowa caucus, the question of suffering from groupthink was raised and I think it is a valid one.

Oftentimes, people on this forum (myself included) will post various bits of news and information about the campaign effort. Sometimes it's poll results, what the campaign did that was good/bad, etc. and there is a tendency for many people to become overly emotional and believe that the comments of the OP represent reality. When in fact, these may be examples of isolated incidents. The majority of the time, the OP means well and is trying to update the community in order to help the cause. However, I think we're reading too far into these things sometimes.

Regardless of good or bad news, I think we should take many things with a grain of salt more than we have been. I see too many people getting overly hyped up and/or disappointed based on the comments expressed by one person. With that said, there are very definite things about this campaign that have been positive and negative and I want to draw a distinction between those things and what I'm talking about.

Am I off base or does this make any sense?

If you haven't already, please sign up at http://voters.ronpaul2008.com/. This is, by far, the most efficient and effective mechanism for all of us to work towards a successful election outcome for Dr. Paul. Be sure to watch the grassroots training videos as well.

Soccrmastr
01-06-2008, 01:10 AM
Dude, its an internet forum, and a huge one at that. You're looking way far too much into this.

gjdavis60
01-06-2008, 01:26 AM
This is a grand experiment in political activisim and we're making it up as we go along. We can get all self-analytical when the campaign is over. There's probably a PhD thesis in here somewhere.

RonPaulVolunteer
01-06-2008, 01:30 AM
Emotional, yes, groupthink, no. Sorry, only replying to your title, no time to read your post.

Myerz
01-06-2008, 01:32 AM
I don't know....let me think about it.......anyone want to help me think about it?

Is that groupthinking? O stop it you!

Joe3113
01-06-2008, 01:32 AM
This forum is out think tank. Its bound to get emotional. I dont think groupthink is accurate. Ron Paul supporters are too intelligent for that Orwellian stuff.

josh24601
01-06-2008, 01:33 AM
Yes and to be honest I was a lot more positive about the campaign before I came here.

me3
01-06-2008, 01:34 AM
Am I off base or does this make any sense?
On target. It is what it is. I do understand now why the Libertarian has a hard time making something happen though, when a supposed 15% of the population has libertarian leanings.

A free market without private property rights can be chaos.

slamhead
01-06-2008, 01:34 AM
No...groupthink is where everyone agrees. I have not seen on idea or post that everyone agrees on.

me3
01-06-2008, 01:37 AM
Yes and to be honest I was a lot more positive about the campaign before I came here.
It can be demoralizing. Too many people crying "fire" in a crowded theater, 24 hours a day can be draining.

I remember when I got here, and it was more about ChipIns and ideas, constantly bumping up threads that needed money or people/groups looking for information.

Nowadays, you can get a dozen threads criticizing the campaign and talking about Huckabee at any given time dominating the grassroots forum. Even with the subforums, it's hard to float new ideas and get traction.