PDA

View Full Version : Age Requirement?

tetrah
01-05-2008, 11:59 PM
Is there an age requirement to become a precinct captain? I am currently 17, but I'll be turning 18 in March.

Secondly, will anyone actually take me seriously? Should I become a precinct captain, or just try to help the campaign in other ways? I've already been talking to my friends and teachers about Ron Paul.

Alex
01-06-2008, 12:32 AM
I'm 16 and I signed up. There are so many open precincts that the campaign will need whomever they can get.

angrydragon
01-06-2008, 12:34 AM
Don't think so.

nate895
01-06-2008, 12:36 AM
I've already been talking to...teachers about Ron Paul.

I'd talk to them, but they hate me. :D

stewie3128
01-06-2008, 12:42 AM
There's no age limit, but it'd serve you well to get some established-looking adult to go with you door-to-door... gives you credibility in adults' eyes.

tetrah
01-06-2008, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the info.

Zero Ice
01-06-2008, 12:45 AM
I'm only 16 and I'm signed up. I figure if I can't vote in the election, I better try to convert as many people as possible to make up for me.

berkeleybound
01-06-2008, 10:16 AM
There's no age limit, but it'd serve you well to get some established-looking adult to go with you door-to-door... gives you credibility in adults' eyes.

Ditto that. Doing a buddy system for door-to-door canvassing is always more effective.

crink
01-06-2008, 10:41 AM
I'm 15 and i'm a captain.

daniroyer
01-06-2008, 06:17 PM
I agree with what others have said. There isn't an age requirment, just have to be mature enough to get it done. Hell, my husband is 24 and he admitted he isn't mature enough to do it. :)

And the idea of having someone that looks older might be a good idea given the misconception that many RP supporters are kids on the internet.

I'm so glad to see some many teenagers involved with this. There is hope!

Peppy690
01-06-2008, 07:13 PM
wow there are young ones on here..good for you for getting involved

nate895
01-06-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm 15 and i'm a captain.

I'm 15 here too, can't wait to cast my first vote in 2010, and hopefully my first Presidential Vote to reelect Ron Paul in 2012.

thehighwaymanq
01-06-2008, 08:54 PM
I'm 15 and signed up.

nate895
01-06-2008, 08:54 PM
I talked to my parents about becoming a precinct captain, and they basically said that it would do more harm than good for someone my age to do it. Do y'all really think that's the case?

austin356
01-06-2008, 09:06 PM
500,000 precincts in America. The campaign will take a 10 year old if they are willing to sign up.

(also more than one person is allowed to sign up for each precinct. It is not a "come first, its all yours we promise" type thing.)

I'm 19 and was organizing 40 precincts this weekend. There is no reason anyone with a pulse cannot be a help (unless you are a redneck Republican in SF)

Wendi
01-07-2008, 04:08 PM
I've been rather depressed since the Iowa Caucus last week, but not after reading this thread. So many young people doing what they can to help, when they can't even vote yet! Incredible! Keep spreading the word, WE NEED YOU!!! :D

rancher89
01-07-2008, 04:16 PM
I have heard from two very smart young men recently, one in person and one on line. Now this thread, I am so proud of you guys/gals! There IS hope for the future.

Please do not go door to door with out someone else with you. It makes the person you are talking to feell better about opening the door and you will feel more at ease. I'm an adult and felt uneasy this last weekend when my "partner" bailed on me in a strange, but nice neighborhood. I made a fast phone call and got a new buddy, one I could count on to go the distance.

An older looking person is a good idea, but you can take another 15-16 yr old with you if you feel safe enough. Just make sure someone knows where you are and what you are doing and have cell phones for emergancies. Thank goodness I had mine this weekend or I would have had to stop my canvassing early. Dress nicely also, it does make a difference!

Good luck fellow precinct captains of the ron paul revolution!!!

nate895
01-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Dang, my mom and dad that I couldn't do it, that it wasn't appropriate. I don't understand my family, they all are into politics, yet they never do anything other than vote (and from looking up their registrations, since they support RP, it doesn't appear they do that much).

Edit: I've managed to convince them that if we don't have to pay a cent to get the materials, I could do it. The problem is that I can't go to the local meetup because I'm three months from my license, and my parents won't drive me, and the buses stop running at about the time the meetup gets out. So my question, is there any other way to get the campaign materials?

Soccrmastr
01-12-2008, 08:58 PM
I'm 15 and I'm a Precinct Captain. I will probably get my mom to come with me during canvassing.

nate895
01-12-2008, 09:00 PM
I'm 15 and I'm a Precinct Captain. I will probably get my mom to come with me during canvassing.

I think it would be different if my mom hadn't just got a kidney transplant, but right now she needs to stay home. Sorry, but I suppose life is a lot more important than liberty in this case.

angelatc
01-16-2008, 06:32 PM
Dang, my mom and dad that I couldn't do it, that it wasn't appropriate. I don't understand my family, they all are into politics, yet they never do anything other than vote (and from looking up their registrations, since they support RP, it doesn't appear they do that much).

Edit: I've managed to convince them that if we don't have to pay a cent to get the materials, I could do it. The problem is that I can't go to the local meetup because I'm three months from my license, and my parents won't drive me, and the buses stop running at about the time the meetup gets out. So my question, is there any other way to get the campaign materials?

Post a message to your local MeetUp. See if somebody in your general vicinity can deliver, or at least meet you halfway.

If you can't do anything else, at least pick up the phone and call the people in the database.

nate895
01-16-2008, 08:50 PM
Post a message to your local MeetUp. See if somebody in your general vicinity can deliver, or at least meet you halfway.

If you can't do anything else, at least pick up the phone and call the people in the database.

I did it earlier this week. My Uncle's taking me to the meetup, so I'm coordinating with them.