PDA

View Full Version : I want to run this full page in every newspaper in Arkansas!

electronicmaji
01-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Dear Arkansans,

I like many of you have found myself let down and confused by the Republican Party and the Bush Administration. I supported Bush in both 2000 and 2004. I believed in the promises. I believed he would bring a Balanced Budget, a Smaller Government, Less Taxes, and Christian Morals to the White House.

Sadly I like many of you was tricked into believing these things. Bush did cut taxes; but he increased spending at the federal level and overseas. This caused a unbalanced budget the likes of which no Administration has ever seen before. This and the funneling of tax dollars overseas caused a great amount of inflation that has ultimately stinted our economy.

Most of you know Mike Huckabee is running for president this year. What is often ignored by the media coverage but well known by many republicans here is that Huckabee was a absolute disaster for the Arkansas GOP. Not only have the local leaders of the GOP said this but only one third of our legislators are willing to support Huckabee.

You may ask, “Why?” At a first glance Huckabee seems like a good candidates. As an ex-baptist minister with a good sense of humor you would expect everything of him. Sadly these are not the only things that stand out about Huckabee. As many Arkansans already know his time as Governor and his Campaign management were filled with deep ethical questions. He has had 14 complaints filed against him by the Federal Ethics Commission. He attempted to take $70,000 of Furniture from the Governors Mansion. He used campaign funds to pay himself and to buy his wife clothes. He accepted large contributions from several people who were later appointed to high ranking positions in his government. He had his staff crush the hard drives of all the government computers so that no data from his term as governor could be reviewed by the public. These are just a few of his long history of questionable ethical decisions.

But you know we can overlook these things. All politicians are corrupt right? What matters is his positions and that they are firm and correct. He campaigns for small government; great I'm in support of that that is a GOP position right? Well lets look at his fiscal history. He raised taxes 48% during his time as Governor and increased the size of the government by an equal amount.

Well I can take that. Small government is not everything. As long as he has good Christian Morals I will vote for him. Sadly I remember many incidents where his morals failed Christian's. The first thing he did is well known; acting on the word of mouth from one single person on his staff he set free a convicted rapist who later killed and raped others. I can forgive this. I'm sure the person who said this was a good Christian and was tricked by the criminal. Even though all his other staff members tried to convince him not to do it I guess I can forgive.

Once again this isn't his only action that does not befit the actions of Christ. After receiving a $10,000 contribution to his campaign from Oaklawn he lobbied for Video Poker systems to be allowed in gaming areas like Oaklawn against the public sentiment and the church. He also complained about his ex-congregation refusing to pay for his health care after leaving his job as their minister. Even when campaigning in New Hampshire the last year he said he was against gay marriage but supported civil unions. Something he recanted a week later.

Ultimately all politicians do have some blood on their hands but frankly Huckabee is soaked in this blood. I have a hard time believing even if he does gain the Republican nomination that he will stop abortion and cut down the size of government and our taxes. So fellow Arkansans, recently I have been looking over the other candidates and trying to find one that I can throw my support behind.

I looked at Giulianni, but hes pro choice, his plans for America a scary police state, and he supports another draft. I looked at McCain, but not only does he support amnesty for illegal immigrants but he wants to keep our troops in Iraq for 100 years or more! So then I looked at Romney; he supported illegal immigrants working at his mansion, changed his views on abortion and he also forced people who could not afford health insurance to pay hefty fines. I came to Thompson but he has little experience, is a lobbyist, and seems out of place. So Finally I came to Ron Paul, here was a likable guy with a simple history. A good Christian who wants to stop Abortion not with another mistake but with upholding the constitution's right to life. A man who wants the humble foreign policy Bush promised us. A man who has never increased taxes and has a truly solid voting record.

Ladies and Gentlemen of Arkansas. I think our choice is CLEAR.

What do you guys think?

dvictr
01-05-2008, 11:56 PM
make sure you use spell check before it runs

electronicmaji
01-06-2008, 12:27 AM
lol

stupid Openofice has crappy spell chekc and no grammer check :<

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3724/newspapermo1.png

theres what the Newspaper spread should look like :D

hellsingfan
01-06-2008, 12:29 AM
^ lol hahaha

liberty_Forever
01-06-2008, 12:30 AM
This is a good letter from a conservative perspective, I like it

Oldguard
01-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Good info, but too long. Cut it down to at least 1/4 - 1/3 of what you have now.

eyeswideopen
01-06-2008, 12:36 AM
I appreciate your heartfelt sentiment.

Personally, I do not think it’s necessary to rehash so much of Huckabee’s record in detail. Bullet points may be better. Your whole point appears to be that Huck is a piece of crap – and he is – we already know that. I don’t think Huck is a threat here. The people that fall for his rhetoric (are there any of those left in Arkansas?) will not be swayed. Remember his #1 fan is the one we credit with saying he left the Republican party in shambles.

You want to draw folks to Ron Paul. Spend WAY more time talking him up and pointing out his stances on the issues important to Arkansans. Illegal immigration, war, sending billions overseas. Also, when mentioning abortion, please try and make it clear that he wants that decision to be made at the STATE level.

Just some constructive criticism from someone who will be reading one of those papers. Good luck!!

trey4sports
01-06-2008, 12:48 AM
LOVE your determination HOWEVER i would STRONGLY STRONGLY suggest that you use ron pauls name more. literally say his name earlier and more often because we want to promote ron paul and not just bash the huckster

electronicmaji
01-06-2008, 12:49 AM
it wont matter its better to say hes for abortion then elaborate Arkansas is a major pro abortion state even amongst the Democrats..

JAHOGS
01-06-2008, 01:00 AM
lets do it

StateofTrance
01-06-2008, 01:03 AM
*bump*

LibertyEagle
01-06-2008, 01:09 AM
I made just a cursory glance at the ad. There are many more things than this, but this is what I noticed.

1. Badly needs punctuation throughout. (missing commas throughout)

2. He caused a unbalanced --> He caused an unbalanced

3. Huckabee seems like a good candidates --> Huckabee seems like a good candidate

4. Christian's --> Christians

5. but hes pro --> but he's pro

6. so Finally --> so finally

7. stop Abortion --> stop abortion

8. $70,000 of Furniture --> $70,000 of furniture

9. Christian Morals --> Christian morals

rpfan2008
01-06-2008, 03:02 AM
any more thoughts

Mark
01-06-2008, 06:24 AM
Bump

Kingfisher
01-06-2008, 07:01 AM
Good info, but too long. Cut it down to at least 1/4 - 1/3 of what you have now.

I agree. The shorter it is the more likely it will be read......:D

RollOn2day
01-06-2008, 07:17 AM
A lot of effort has gone into this and I appreciate that.

But this is not an ad. It is an editorial.

It is more of an open letter to conservatives from your point of view and as such is extremely valuable.

However, may I suggest you also run bona fide ads in your local paper that are available from the http://www.ads4paul.com/

These are well thought out, spell checked and ready to go! Totally professional concise, hard-hitting and stays focused on Dr Pauls positions.

troyd1
01-06-2008, 07:46 AM
I think it is good. Please repost after you have cleaned it up based on previous feed back. One more thing:
the very first sentence needs a comma after the I or it reads that you like many of them instead of being like many of them.

tgannaway89
01-06-2008, 07:58 AM
Honestly, I doubt anyone would read it. It is way too long. Heck, I didn't even read it. American's have short attention spans. Keep it short, sweet, and to the point.

Mike S.
01-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Shorten up a bit, spell check and run it by an english-major type person for a few punctuation corrections.

Your letter summarizes my disenfranchised feelings as well.

RonRules
01-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Don't forget he LIED about his theology degree !!

Drea
01-06-2008, 09:41 AM

You don't have to cut it necessarily. You do have to pull out key statements and make them bold... give them some "buttons" that they agree to already that they can see standing out above the mass of words. That is how you will get someone to read it.

Good luck!
Drea

Edited to add: badly in need of grammar & spelling & punctuation.