PDA

View Full Version : ron paul dropped the ball on obama

jeffrey7
01-05-2008, 11:46 PM
I can't believe RP said he admired Obama on his stands on the war and civil liberties. Obama voted for the patriot act and continues to support this war. He missed a good opportunity to tell it like it is, that Obama is the the same as the liars that were on stage with RP tonight. what do you think ?

Liberty Star
01-05-2008, 11:48 PM
He did great, it was very strategic. He was speaking to Obama supporters , Independents and all the young people in NH.

AggieforPaul
I think the question was a trap to drive a wedge between him and Obama's supporters. Obama supporters are the easiest converts. He was smart to not say anything to upset them.

Mark Rushmore
Attacking Obama-leaning independents now would be suicidal; drawing them in would be excellent.

Paul4Prez
01-05-2008, 11:49 PM
I think he played up the right angle -- he is attracting young voters to the Republican Party, like Obama is to the Democratic Party. He stressed the difference that matters to Republicans: taxes and free market economics.

He could have used it to springboard into how he will be a stronger general election candidate than the other Republicans, but he tends to just answer the question....

Azprint
01-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Troll.

sparebulb
01-05-2008, 11:50 PM
I think that RP punked the other neofascists by sticking Obama's success in their face. He has said in the past that the neo-policies have destroyed the party. He is showing them what is popular and what message will appeal to the masses. It was subtle, but they got it. And they hate him even more.

jeffrey7
01-05-2008, 11:53 PM
yeah, I thought about that.. but I don't think it will be effective. Obama is running on "change", imo the only way to get those votes is to shatter the notion that obama will deliver change and expose him for the fraud he is. My liberal friends won 't even vote for obama.

Jobarra
01-05-2008, 11:53 PM
The best thing Ron could have said, especially when the moderator was attacking Obama later for his preemptive war stance. Now those that were leaning for a change candidate will feel good about moving over to Paul just because he didn't attack Obama outright. He disagreed with him 'nicely' :)

Falseflagop
01-05-2008, 11:54 PM
http://www.cjnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13849&Itemid=86

rollingpig
01-05-2008, 11:54 PM
the question was perfect for us, and RP answered it perfectly!

Drknows
01-05-2008, 11:55 PM
He did great, it was very strategic. He was speaking to Obama supporters , Independents and all the young people in NH.

+1000

I think some here want to see Ron Paul look like the other assholes as of late.

How come Ron Paul dont talk slick like mitt or how come hes not as tall as fred thompson?

Johncjackson
01-05-2008, 11:56 PM
It's about PERCEPTION. He named reasons why young people think they like Obama. It's perception and strategy. And Obama is better on those issues than all the other Reps anyway.

ronpaulyourmom
01-05-2008, 11:57 PM
Look there's a lot of fiscally conservative, free market leaning independents out there going to Obama because they're just so disgusted with the republican party. Drawing that comparison with Obama but then going to his free market platform scores some points with those people.

jeffrey7
01-05-2008, 11:58 PM
piss off Azprint

I also wish he had used the opportunity to point out that only an anti-war candidate could win a general election against the democrats. Who knows, maybe the subtler approach is better. I am still kind of pissed off though about praising Obama.

CountryboyRonPaul
01-06-2008, 12:02 AM
piss off Azprint

I also wish he had used the opportunity to point out that only an anti-war candidate could win a general election against the democrats. Who knows, maybe the subtler approach is better. I am still kind of pissed off though about praising Obama.

Well, don't be to pissed, it's obvious Paul and Obama have NOTHING in common.
Playing politics is simply a necessity and Paul knows his supporters are smart enough not to be alienated over such a simple thing.

Noleader
01-06-2008, 12:03 AM
He did say that he focuses more on personal liberties then Obama... Keep in mind the Patriot Act is one part of a larger picture that personal liberty addresses. The Patriot Act is no were as bad as the Military Commissions Act and other Executive Orders like it.

The Patriot Act is just the rally cry but those of us that followed government long before this election cycle do not consider it the greatest threat.

jeffrey7
01-06-2008, 12:10 AM
Well, don't be to pissed

I 'm not all that pissed, just annoyed really.

[QUOTE=The Patriot Act is no were as bad as the Military Commissions Act and other Executive Orders like it.[?QUOTE]

they are all pretty bad, especially abusive eminent domain and the homegrown terrorist act.

BuddyRey
01-06-2008, 12:10 AM
I can't believe RP said he admired Obama on his stands on the war and civil liberties. Obama voted for the patriot act and continues to support this war. He missed a good opportunity to tell it like it is, that Obama is the the same as the liars that were on stage with RP tonight. what do you think ?

This was a brilliant political maneuver, IMHO. You see, RP knows that most people *think* Obama is anti-war. So, he's expressing solidarity with Obama's stated positions in order to pick up some crucial anti-war independents and dems. This was GENIUS on his part and couldn't have gone any better, in my mind.

kushaze
01-06-2008, 12:13 AM
I think he was merely pointing out that many young Obama supporters were dropping out of Obama's camp and joing him. I think you are looking into it too much. Their differences are obvious, but it is true that a lot of Ron Paul supporters are ex-Obama supporters.

jeffrey7
01-06-2008, 12:14 AM
This was a brilliant political maneuver, IMHO. You see, RP knows that most people *think* Obama is anti-war. So, he's expressing solidarity with Obama's stated positions in order to pick up some crucial anti-war independents and dems. This was GENIUS on his part and couldn't have gone any better, in my mind.

I don't think it will pick up any dem votes, but fiscal conservatives for sure

sparebulb
01-06-2008, 12:18 AM
It has to chap the establishment's ass that RP is creating new market share when their CFR Republican branded robots have to fight each other for the rest. The CFR has stacked the deck, and RP screws with their plans.

jeffrey7
01-06-2008, 12:20 AM
Their differences are obvious, but it is true that a lot of Ron Paul supporters are ex-Obama supporters.

I agree, I have converted a few Obama supporters. I also know a few Kucinich supporters who will vote RP over Obama and Clinton in the general election.

Blowback
01-06-2008, 12:50 AM
Ron did great with that trap question. I lvoed how he brought up the fact that the free market is the only true compassionate system.

amakris
01-06-2008, 01:18 AM
It's almost like no one realizes that there is a michigan primary in 10 days and Obama isn't on the ballot.

Ron Paul is a smart man.

yongrel
01-06-2008, 01:19 AM
It's almost like no one realizes that there is a michigan primary in 10 days and Obama isn't on the ballot.

Ron Paul is a smart man.

wait.. WHAT?!

and how does that help RP? Dems that find out in the voting booth can't switch to RP, can they?

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-06-2008, 01:22 AM
I thought he handled it very well! Yes, he might have mentioned the patriot act, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

kill the banks
01-06-2008, 01:22 AM
classic wake up call to obama supporters to google me for a change

kill the banks

amakris
01-06-2008, 01:27 AM
wait.. WHAT?!

and how does that help RP? Dems that find out in the voting booth can't switch to RP, can they?

Ah, but they *can*, young Skywalker. Michigan is an open primary.

kill the banks
01-06-2008, 01:27 AM
wait.. WHAT?!

don't forget the independents in obama camp

kill the banks

RonPaulCult
01-06-2008, 01:39 AM

I thought of the same thing when the question came up but............

it was just a different approach and not all together a bad one

Black Dude
01-06-2008, 01:55 AM
I thought it was brilliant. If there is one candidate we want to get closer to it is Barack. His followers feel the same about him as we do about Ron, except they are uneducated on economic policy. Ending corruption in Washington is the big feeling that is shared between Barack's supporters and Ron's. (of course, we know that Ron is the only REAL honest politician of them all)

Ron Paul Fan
01-06-2008, 01:57 AM
It was a brilliant answer by Ron Paul considering where he is and how popular Obama has become. Ron Paul said in his answer that he gets Obama people in his campaign. I think he's probably the only one on the stage who is capable of that. He said there are some similarities between them, but then he did do a good job of differentiating their economic policies. He brought up getting rid of the income tax and free markets, something that Republicans and the good people of New Hampshire probably like to hear!

cswake
01-06-2008, 02:01 AM
For those criticizing him on not mentioning Obama's vote for the Patriot Act and funding the war, he is NOT in a position to worry about the weaknesses of the Democratic opponents and knowing where they all stand. His first hurdle is to know the opponents in the primaries.

noztnac
01-06-2008, 02:02 AM
He did the right thing.

CountryboyRonPaul
01-06-2008, 02:07 AM
I thought it was brilliant. If there is one candidate we want to get closer to it is Barack. His followers feel the same about him as we do about Ron, except they are uneducated on economic policy. Ending corruption in Washington is the big feeling that is shared between Barack's supporters and Ron's. (of course, we know that Ron is the only REAL honest politician of them all)

QFT

Xepa
01-06-2008, 02:09 AM
One word: leverage.

He's leveraging Obama's momentum to propell himself.
I actually thought this was one of his better responses.
Added a joke in it too ;)

OptionsTrader
01-06-2008, 02:12 AM
Look there's a lot of fiscally conservative, free market leaning independents out there going to Obama because they're just so disgusted with the republican party. Drawing that comparison with Obama but then going to his free market platform scores some points with those people.

Precisely.

oparea
01-06-2008, 02:15 AM
I thought it was genius.

Soccrmastr
01-06-2008, 02:21 AM
eh maybe he shoulda attracted them a bit more subtly without saying he supports Obamas policies!!

jahazii
01-06-2008, 04:36 AM
Nice he did it nicely.

Ron LOL
01-06-2008, 05:26 AM
A simple "he voted for the PATRIOT Act, I did not" would have been priceless here.

Ricochet
01-06-2008, 06:17 AM
I was a little surprised at first then I thought it was pretty classy and that it set Dr. Paul away from the neo-cons.

partypooper
01-07-2008, 08:23 AM

i think this was his worst answer, apart from healthcare answer. he gave a way too much credit to obama and sounded like there was not that much of a difference between them or as if the difference was not as important.

ninepointfive
01-08-2008, 01:36 AM
i think this was his worst answer, apart from healthcare answer. he gave a way too much credit to obama and sounded like there was not that much of a difference between them or as if the difference was not as important.

I was thinking the same thing. Especially about bringing up the point about who voted for or against the patriot act.

I think Paul knows what he's doing though. To persuade my friends who support obama, I always mention who supports the patriot act and the war.
I think bringing up this simple fact alone is what can get a lot of democratic support for Paul.