PDA

View Full Version : My Story so far.

coboman
01-05-2008, 11:37 PM
This is a recap of my experience as an internet Ron Paul supporter.
It is not supposed to encourage or demoralize anyone. Just to share what I have felt and what I have thought over these few months.
I hope you enjoy it.

I have been a proud Ron Paul supporters since September of last year.

My first impression of him was very good. It was a video on youTube with the compilation of his responses in the Republican debate.

My second impression was even better, with one of Aravoth's videos (I think it was "A New Hope"), and right there and then I knew this was something great. It was the first political figure ever to generate lots of enthusiasm for me.

Never had I been enthusiastic about a political candidate. I had never before donated one cent to any campaign (never even considered it). Never had I felt so much that I was part of something big, something that could really change our country and the world for the better.

I truly believed that we could win. I still do.

But something bothered me from the start. His campaign started to produce cheesy ads that had nothing to do with the videos that made me a passionate follower.
There was an amateurish ad with bad actors, that seemed to be a compilation of fake testimonials ending with a terrible line: "He's catching on, I tell ya".
People said it was part of a larger strategy. Frankly, I just thought it was lack of money. They just couldn't hire professionals to do the job.

But then came other ads, each with very low production values, and none of them emphasizing the points I found so important. Small government, the constitution, non-intervention. One ad for NH was completely dedicated to abortion. Being pro-choice myself, this was a big turn off. Cheap strategists, cheap publicists.

The official campaign asked for 12 million dollars to be able to win both Iowa and New Hampshire.

More money was the solution.

Then came November 5th. This was incredible. People united to break a record, and then the media response. Wolf Blitzer excited "Amazing, Amazing". Definitely on the right track, Ron Paul was again on TV answering the question, why do you have so many followers? He responded with what I considered the truth: "It is the message. Freedom is popular".

What are you going to do to improve your low poll numbers? They asked. Ron Paul said he was going to start spending those dollars, and get more supporters behind him.

Another moneybomb! This was the way to go. I was so pumped up, I visited the Teaparty site daily and watched the pledges soar for the first days. This was going to be epic.
Everyone had to know about this. I told every person I know about Ron Paul, and about the teaparty. It was going to be an historic event that would change the world forever.

In the meantime the ads were still bad. Many complained of the strategy of the Official Campaign in Iowa and NH. Ron Paul was not spending enough time in these states, he wasn't broadcasting good ads either. But a team had been assembled to canvass in NH. We would win both states. We would obliterate the 12 million goal.

The beginning of the teaparty was so exciting. Watching that graph shoot to the sky in the first second of the day. We were in good shape to reach 10 million. Later on it dropped, but it spiked in the last hour to give us a record braking 6 million. That was it ! We did it! Almost 18 million, and we needed only 12 to win Iowa and NH.

Both states were now in the pocket.

But the Official Campaign ads were still bad. More complains about Iowans explaining that Ron Paul had to spend more time there. That he had to visit the small counties, preferably twice. Complains that the radio ads were the same for months, and that people were tired of listening to the same stuff. That the direct mailing was too long, and bad.

There was a rumor that the campaign was going to do something spectacular. Something risky, but incredible and that could win the election on the spot. It turned out to be an unfounded rumor. Big disappointment for me, but not really a surprise.

We had been asking for an infomercial for months. They finally made a 30 minute special for Iowa. I was excited, finally a good way to spread Ron Paul's complex message.
When I watched the Iowa special, I was first disappointed, then very angry. This was not the message I had paid to spread. This was not why I was a Ron Paul supporter.

"It is targeted for Iowans" they said. OK, but I still believe that the original message of Freedom was good for everyone. Including Iowans.

The there was a video of Ron Paul saying he didn't believe in evolution. That unnerved me.

Then the official campaign asks for 23 more million. That made me a little angrier.

Then came an immigration ad that had the phrase "No student visas from terrorist countries", or something like that. That boiled my blood. How dare them use my money to spread this hate speech? I was so pissed, I thought I could quit right there.

But I went back to watch my favorite videos. "A new hope", "Stop dreaming", to read some of Ron Paul's policies in his site, and let it pass.

This revolution is far more important than a stupid phrase in a commercial. Let's move on.

We ended the year with another moneybomb that got us almost to 20 million. Much more money than they originally asked to win both IA and NH.

We were trailing badly in the polls, but the polls were skewed, biased, wrong or they were a propaganda tool to distract us. OK, let's wait for Iowa.

The last Zogby poll predicted 10% and 5th place. Ron Paul said on TV, "We will do much better than the polls say".

We ended up with 10% and 5th place. We had just lost Iowa.

To be continued...

UPDATE:

A few days later we lost New Hampshire. I pretty much had given up, and started to see the donations plummet. I thought everyone had left the movement.

The payday moneybomb, the Benjamin's for Paul moneybomb were complete failures. Then came the second place in Nevada.
Then came the MLK bomb.

That moneybomb, raising almost 2 million in a day gave me new hopes. I still have great respect for everyone involved.

Tomorrow is super Tuesday, and I think that we are going to be dead last. I refuse to believe this movement is over ( it isn't), but the search for the Republican candidacy is over.
We didn't fail, but the official campaign did.

If Ron Paul was younger, I would have great expectations for next election. Having 4 more years to spread the message, would certainly give us the edge we need.
But he will be 76 by then.

We'll see...

trey4sports
01-06-2008, 12:05 AM
i respect your analysis.
i dont agree with the campaign but i feel like we have to give them the benefit of the doubt adleast throughout NH then we can adress doing things diffrently

hummtide
01-06-2008, 12:15 AM
Here is the lowdown.

This is a grassroots campaign, and yes it has more of its share of blunders than any other campaign. The reason is because there is an effort to keep it just that... out of "professionals" hands that may ruin the original messages of Dr paul and thus send him into the standard politician image.

Yes there needs to be more emphasis on improved ads and better communications from the campaign HQ to the grassroots and foot soldiers of Dr paul.

But know this... the dollar is doomed, and not one dang other person running knows how to begin to correct this dire financial crisis. This country will be history in under 4 or 5 years IF THAT, because it literally in only ONE DAY could see its dollar currency dumped and overnight become as worthless as toilet paper, thus plunging America into an overnight depression with unemployment over 50%, and America at this mercy of the rest of the world.

With those dire problems on the horizon, minor things such as public perception of a campaign is the last thing on my mind right now. Eventually WE WILL get it together. Until then, we the grassroots need to fund our local projects and donate the $30 every friday to the national effort which will improve shortly. And get out there and canvass your towns and cities until ROn Paul OWNS IT ALL!

hasan
01-06-2008, 12:27 AM
all i can say is keep going at it. this movement is for the long haul and will not be a flash in the pan

rpfan2008
01-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Hi coboman, I had similar feelings after watching the Campaign vids and was seriously pissed off with that, so I am not surprised what you said. But dude think for a moment its not only about us its about whole American society, he will have to target everybody even those who knows nothing except what the MSM shows them, imagine there are Hillary supporters out there by at large and our msg should be acceptable even for such ppl, so our message needs to be mild.You cant show the kind of 'naked truth' vids that we flog to see in Youtube, thats not possible dude, people who dont have any idea abt wats going on will REJECT such message outright. So RP needs to be feeble at the beginning considering the elections are next year. They wont risk the Elections for the GOP.
Victory must be our goal. RP can't risk being rejected at this moment, so thats important.
Thats how I feel about all these things.

Truth Triumphs , Always.

RobS
01-06-2008, 12:45 AM
Check out the latest immigration and soldier campaign videos. They are very nicely produced.

coboman
02-05-2008, 12:16 AM
OK, this will not be my last post, but I would like to say goodbye to all.

I am very proud of having taken part of this movement, and I will certainly continue my support to Ron Paul in other endeavours, but right now it is over for me.

Thank you all, and keep up the good work.

affa
02-05-2008, 12:25 AM

I am very proud of having taken part of this movement, and I will certainly continue my support to Ron Paul in other endeavours, but right now it is over for me.

All of you damn trolls.

Doing your best with your 500 post careers to make it look like support is dropping out.

Go away.

If you cared one iota about Ron Paul, us, this movement, or freedom you wouldn't be posting your defeatist crap all over this forum.

You are the enemy.

Kotin
02-05-2008, 12:43 AM

troll.

Crickett
02-05-2008, 01:12 AM
Besides. You obviously have no ideas how many delegates will actually vote for RP at the national convention. We have THAT majority in several states..wait and see.

Where could any of you go..? Romney? Obama? sheesh..vote your hearts