PDA

View Full Version : This debate was GREAT!

ReallyNow
01-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Are you kidding me? The people who said this wasn't a good debate for Paul are deluding themselves. He set himself apart from the rest of the field and did so without personal attacks. When he attacked he did so with SUBSTANCE. The war gang-up was PERFECT for New Hampshire showing voters exactly who is for or against this war.

I believe the Obama comment was a calculated move to hopefully sway some independents who would vote for Obama. He attacked him substantively while still remaining respectful.

I watched both debates tonight and the only thing that really pissed me off was that Ron Paul was the only presidential candidate to be shown a complete lack of respect; candidates were snickering and laughing but I believe this was CALCULATED on their part to dismiss his views. There were a lot of "reaction" camera angles when he was talking.

The constitution "lip service" part was AMAZING.

This was an inside the park homer for Dr. Paul. And I was very pleased with the time he had to speak and make his views crystal clear.

If you watched the Democratic debate you saw virtually NO SUBSTANCE. It was all soundbites and zingers. Obama was the worst at this but he's been doing it all along. Huckabee was the worst for the Republican side for no substance, just down home folksy "golleeee" talk.

slamhead
01-05-2008, 11:38 PM
I am a little dissapointed with his health care response. Was ok for him to point out the trillion dollars that is needed is spent overseas but he should have continued with his idea that it is big government that broke the health care system from the lobbyist and such.

ReallyNow
01-05-2008, 11:40 PM
I also forgot my favorite part of the speech. When Charlie Gibson was hammering everyone on changing their positions, going down the line and he got to Dr. Paul. His line was great about him. "(paraphrase) With all due respect Dr. Paul, you haven't changed your position to my knowledge except for the party you're running in". It separated Dr. Paul from the rest of the field pretty well.

trey4sports
01-05-2008, 11:40 PM
personally, this IMHO might have been a turning point for the revolution. with the fox news exclusion and NH primary coming up it seems like this we decide our own fate now. if we do well and work hard in NH then we WILL propel ourselves into national spotlight and one we do that, thers no stopping us the masses will pour in.

hawkeyenick
01-05-2008, 11:51 PM
to the average watcher...we got our ass handed to us

HOLLYWOOD
01-05-2008, 11:58 PM

Yes, where's the CAMPAIGN ADVISERS/CONSULTANTS... nice guys finish last with all those PANDERING PLAGIARIZING HACKS on STAGE.

Maybe an electrical shock to get RON on his feet and lay it all on the line. You see an opportunity, jump in and take it!

These other GOP hacks are greed mongers!

orion846
01-06-2008, 12:03 AM
im pretty sure everyone but thompson or rudy got a smartass comment or 2 made to them that followed with snickering, and only t and r cus they didnt say much

OferNave
01-06-2008, 12:06 AM
I also forgot my favorite part of the speech. When Charlie Gibson was hammering everyone on changing their positions, going down the line and he got to Dr. Paul. His line was great about him. "(paraphrase) With all due respect Dr. Paul, you haven't changed your position to my knowledge except for the party you're running in". It separated Dr. Paul from the rest of the field pretty well.

This was absolutely the best debate so far. The moderator clearly had great respect for Ron Paul, and gave him the last word on many of the questions. And he had a center seat. It was amazing. He's also the only one who kept his dignity - it was almost like a transformation, he came across as wise and calmly confident, very little of his usual stammering and high pitchedness. He put everyone else to shame. It's like he just displaced Reagan as "the great communicator".

The most obvious and important point is that this debate presented him as an equal among the top tier.

And the part you mentioned was easily the highest point. I almost choked up. The moderator went down the line and slammed each candidate, one by one, summarizing in 5-10 seconds each how flip-floppy and inconsistent they all are - and when got to Paul, basically just pointed out how he was the exception before moving on to the next one.

Swmorgan77
01-06-2008, 12:14 AM

Yeah except that he has always run as a Republican... this perpetuates the notion that he is a Libertarian/3rd party candidate or that he doesn't fit with the party.

agasys
01-06-2008, 12:14 AM
Is there a link to watch the *FULL* debate online? I can't seem to find it anywhere...

mavtek
01-06-2008, 12:29 AM
I thought the debate was fine, we didn't lose any supporters, and those who sympathize with the underdog were treated.

Flirple
01-06-2008, 12:40 AM
I guess I wasn't aware that the general consensus was that the debate went poorly. Am I in the minority in thinking that it was the best debate yet? I thought it was clearly a fantastic night for the rEVOLution. What am I missing?

LFOD
01-06-2008, 01:03 AM
I guess I wasn't aware that the general consensus was that the debate went poorly. Am I in the minority in thinking that it was the best debate yet? I thought it was clearly a fantastic night for the rEVOLution. What am I missing?

Nothing. He did great. Some of the newer members here are confused about the importance of style versus substance. They'll come around. :D

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-06-2008, 01:09 AM

You are 100% wrong about this. To the average viewer, Ron looked like almost the only person who made any sense on that stage, not to mention the only person not engaged in all the petty mudslinging. He came off awesome! I literally shouted and applauded twice after his remarks. :)

As much as I dislike him, I thought the Huckster did surprisingly well. It was only Huck and Ron who made any sense on the issues. And I do note that Huck is stealing our message wholesale. At one point he literally said, "I'm a tenth amendment guy." Well, what about the rest of the Constitution!??

jgmaynard
01-06-2008, 01:15 AM
I watched the debate at Murphy's Tap Room - the "Lip service" and "haven't changed your position" moments were greeted by screaming approval from the standing-room-only crowd. :)

JM

Carole
01-06-2008, 01:27 AM
Yes, I agree and I think Huck came off as reasonable and definitely more (small p) presidential than anyone else except Paul.

All that bickering did not help any of the others, but I did not appreciate the rehearsed (and in chorus) snickers and laughs when Dr. Paul was speaking. Very disrespectful.

Did you guys hear the audience start to applaud at one point for Dr. Paul, then stopped as they remembered they were not supposed to applaud? :)

Still, here is my get.

Huckabee helped himself by his demeanor at least. Forgot what he said other than several were touting Constitution.

Fred helped himself a little. He was awake.

Romney may have hurt himself in some ways, okay in others. He did not do very well. He is stiff, or sort of a male version of Hillary. He seems like a clone or robot.

McCain is such a phony, but some many sheeple will buy into him and same people who vote for Paul are voting for him it seems.:confused:

Giuliani is back to noun-verb-9/11. He does not sell himself well in these debates. He lies also, but do the voters know this?

Paul did well on some things. Could have done better. Not interrupted so much. Was able to make his points. Needed more specifics on a couple of issues.

Debate format was the best yet though it did allow a bit too much back and forth between a few guys slinging mud. Otherwise I like the style of it. No gimmicks.

I think the bickering was distracting. McCain did way too much of it to Romney. I am not complaining though. Maybe if voters did not like it, he will lose some votes.

Carole
01-06-2008, 01:38 AM
Well, they keep reminding everyone he ran as Libertarian for President in 1988. :(

Carole
01-06-2008, 01:43 AM
Oh goody! :D

slamhead
01-06-2008, 01:44 AM
Made me sick to my stomach when Huck started talking about the constitution...