PDA

View Full Version : FEC Fundraising Question

me3
01-05-2008, 11:29 PM
I have a neat fundraising idea, it involves selling links on a website, in return for donations, either to a grassroots Chip In or the official campaign.

Would there be a problem with providing links in return for official campaign donations?

Mark
01-05-2008, 11:53 PM
I think it would depend on where the original funds go and the method of describing such.

If it was like: "Click here your money goes to an individual and is donated to the campaign" - you have $2300 individual limit issues.

If it goes to a group - you have PAC contribution issues.

If it goes directly to the campaign - I believe there's still individual limit issues - but maybe not since the money's coming from an advertiser.
There you may have issues with a company giving money.

I would imagine there could be some kind of - advertiser pays the person with the link - like with normal advertisements,
and then the person either donates to the campaign or to grassroots efforts.

But, it may have to be done by "word-of-mouth" because I think someone said companies like Google prohibit direct referencing of purposeful efforts like this.
Like, it violates the "terms of agreement" or something.

me3
01-06-2008, 01:39 AM
Thanks Mark.

I was thinking, putting out an offer like:

Make a donation to "X" for $10 or more, and send me your link details and the payment notification and I will post your link for "Y" months.

They make the donation, I provide a link as reward of sponsorship.

Maybe it is better to stick to doing this for smaller ChipIns.

Mark
01-06-2008, 02:31 AM
That sounds like a good way to do it me3.

There is really SO much traffic and people here on the forum for one, that it seems to be a missed opportunity to not make use of this type of thing.

People here click tens if not hundreds of times a day, what's a few more to get money to grassroots efforts ect.