PDA

View Full Version : Do you really believe RP did poorly?

scooter
01-05-2008, 09:21 PM
He got talked over most of the time and didn't try to use a bunch of ridiculous charisma, but in my opinion that made him look above the others. When they were taking shots at each other back and forth, him and Huck kept quiet.

Every time he did get the mic time, he blew his answers out of the water. And every single answer he mentioned how the fundamental problem was the economic issue. And the polls are saying that economics is the most important issue.

The ones who didn't engage in the ridiculous banter looked great tonight. Huck's answers were all good. Thompson did pretty well.

But saying Ron Paul was bad is ridiculous. He nailed all of his points and didn't have to look like an excitable and tought talking politician.

Ron Paul Fan
01-05-2008, 09:22 PM
I thought he did great and so did my friend in NH. Saying he did bad is ridiculous and it makes me question what their motives are.

hueylong
01-05-2008, 09:24 PM
He did great. He wasn't a jerk, like the others.

His oil v. dollars or gold -- and his rap about youth and Obama -- were solid.

traitorist
01-05-2008, 09:25 PM
no, i don't think he did BADLY, but he certainly squandered a good opportunity to RISE ABOVE these goons, and speak more about his views, instead of scratching on a pad of paper. he needs face time and name recognition, and you get that on a televised debate by talking and interjecting, not sitting there quietly.

itshappening
01-05-2008, 09:25 PM
I also think him and huck keeping quiet didnt do them any harm

McCain and Romney were the big losers

Ron2Win
01-05-2008, 09:26 PM
The "you answered your question when you asked it was also really good."

You spent 1 trillion in the war and then you wonder why you can't pay for medical care?

RPatTheBeach
01-05-2008, 09:26 PM
For those listening, he did excellent.

For those just watching (most americans), he looked silly. Lack of charisma. The camera kept catching him with half-sleeping looks, and everyone ganging up on him.

He got time to express his views in more than a 30 second sound byte, which could not possibly hurt him at all.

Oh, and with every debate, McCain look more and more foolish. I don't understand how his ratings are going up.

evadmurd
01-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Also Charlie never had to cut him off for talking too much. He didn't babble to hear himself speak. I did hate it when Charlie invited Romney to interrupt anytime.

evandi
01-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Keep in mind that every troll who comes to this forum can vote too.

I'm not saying that everyone who thinks Paul did badly is a troll, but I have no doubt there are trolls here trying to demoralize us. They may skew the results a bit.

I can't understand it either, I think he did great.

trey4sports
01-05-2008, 09:36 PM
yeah, i believe it was his best debate yet

walt
01-05-2008, 09:41 PM
90% of the people here could contrast himself better to Obama than he did - it was an odd question he wasn't fully prepared for... :(

scooter
01-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Really? I thought he was dead on about Obama. Both of them are gaining traction with youth because they want real change in Washington, but he said that Obama's message was fundamentally flawed.

perpetualstateofwar
01-05-2008, 09:47 PM
It was definitely his best performance so far. He was seated in center and was focus of attention for beginning of debate. He did a great job of getting his points across. The issues he was focusing on will resonate with Independent voters and i'm sure make some conservatives think twice about our current foreign policy. All he did was help himself tonight. The big losers were Romney and Mccain.

Ball
01-05-2008, 09:47 PM
He didn't do too well and for these specific reasons:

1) This isn't an intellectual debate. It's a dog & pony show. It's a popularity contest. It's about image and looking Presidential.

2) Being shouted-down on the war really hurts Ron not because he was shouted down, but because the crazy neocons scared off the independent voters. Huge win for Obama as far as this state is concerned. McCain will run away with it now (unless his "Make it 100" moment gets play in the mainstream...which it won't unless we fund an ad).

3) Ron failed to make a hard case for independents to vote for him. He mentioned Obama, but he didn't explain why his supporters ought to vote for him (like opting out of SS, etc.)

Win for McCain in NH, Huckabee nationally IMHO.

Shink
01-05-2008, 09:48 PM
no, i don't think he did BADLY, but he certainly squandered a good opportunity to RISE ABOVE these goons, and speak more about his views, instead of scratching on a pad of paper. he needs face time and name recognition, and you get that on a televised debate by talking and interjecting, not sitting there quietly.

As much as we all wanted 80 minutes of Ron with 10 minutes of issues for Ron to address, you have to remember--THIS IS THE MOST TIME RON HAS EVER GOTTEN. No debate has been even remotely close to the time/fairness of this one. He scratches on a pad to highlight the subject, people's poor responses, and preps himself to shit on their unprincipled faces.

As much as I hold in high regard the first MSNBC debate (for turning me onto Ron immediately), this one was the best. No Duncan Hunter/Gilmore/T.Thompson/Brownback/Tancredo to clutter up the stage, and five idiots to dramatically contrast himself against.

FreedomProsperityPeace
I could only watch the first part of the debate because the channel signal kept getting scrambled. :mad:

But I beleive he only hurt himself more in his answers about radical muslims attacking us. He needs new talking points. He keeps saying things the same way he has in all the debates, and then he just got run over with no chance to elaborate.

The people who suggest an aide to help Dr. Paul sharpen his message are 100% correct IMO.

Heather in WI
No I don't think he did poorly. I thought he was awesome!

Big Lou
01-05-2008, 09:50 PM
I thought he did great, but I get the feeling that he wants to say:

"I can't hold a decent debate with you dumbasses until you know a thing or two about basic economics!"

He's just too much of a gentleman to say it.

Aldanga
01-05-2008, 09:53 PM
He did great. He wasn't a jerk, like the others.

His oil v. dollars or gold -- and his rap about youth and Obama -- were solid.

Did you say rap?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/Aldanga/rap.jpg

PC_for_Paul
01-05-2008, 09:53 PM
We got contrast. if your looking at the GOP for something different Ron is the man, I think we stand a better chance sitting in on the Dem debate.

Mark37snj
01-05-2008, 09:55 PM
I think he did great. Especially when the commentator asked all the canidates to comment on the high price of gas. Everyone except Paul was looking for a hole to hide in and he stepped up, tackeled the tough one, and scored a touchdown. Everyone watching was really impressed with that one, did you hear how quiet the audience was, their gears were grinding and we won some new supporter with that response!!! :)

amistybleu
01-05-2008, 09:58 PM
He got talked over most of the time and didn't try to use a bunch of ridiculous charisma, but in my opinion that made him look above the others. When they were taking shots at each other back and forth, him and Huck kept quiet.

Every time he did get the mic time, he blew his answers out of the water. And every single answer he mentioned how the fundamental problem was the economic issue. And the polls are saying that economics is the most important issue.

The ones who didn't engage in the ridiculous banter looked great tonight. Huck's answers were all good. Thompson did pretty well.

But saying Ron Paul was bad is ridiculous. He nailed all of his points and didn't have to look like an excitable and tought talking politician.

He acted like a true statesmen and showed knowledge of the issues, he also refrained fron the ongoing attack fest.

wfd40
01-05-2008, 10:02 PM
He didn't do too well and for these specific reasons:

1) This isn't an intellectual debate. It's a dog & pony show. It's a popularity contest. It's about image and looking Presidential.

2) Being shouted-down on the war really hurts Ron not because he was shouted down, but because the crazy neocons scared off the independent voters. Huge win for Obama as far as this state is concerned. McCain will run away with it now (unless his "Make it 100" moment gets play in the mainstream...which it won't unless we fund an ad).

3) Ron failed to make a hard case for independents to vote for him. He mentioned Obama, but he didn't explain why his supporters ought to vote for him (like opting out of SS, etc.)

Win for McCain in NH, Huckabee nationally IMHO.

You opinion is borderline laughable.. in fact, its probably the most ridiculous reaction I've read all night...

Not an intellectual debate?? Guess what.. I watched it with 4 undecideds and each one was totally intrigued as to why/how Paul was able to make a lot of heavy-on-substance statements with little to no counter-arguments.. heck, the only thing the rest were able to attack him on was Foreign Policy.. and that actually helped a ton.

As for the Indi vote... just wait and see.

I will say that I wish he produced a Regan moment and called all of the war-mongers on their failed policy.. Perhaps something to the effect of "You are all very wrong.. and I am very right.. and 70% of the american people agree with me.. and come tuesday you'll see that much of NH does as well"

:cool:

SeanEdwards
01-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Paul was great. He was clearly the alternate option. That's a good place to be in a big field.

He positively took them to the woodshed when he got going about paying lip service to the constitution and consistency. He was on fire. There was even someone in the audience who spontaneously started clapping despite instructions not to do so. In the middle of Paul laying the smackdown the camera shows McCain grinning nervously like a dog. It was sweet.

Taco John
01-05-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm watching it about half wy through on the west coast, and so far, I think he's made everyone else look like a bunch of children.

ritalouise
01-05-2008, 10:07 PM
my problems:

He wasn't clear on the blowback principle - he should have listed specific examples of times that we have meddled in the Middle East.

He kept coming back to the war once the move went to domestic policy. He has excellent points on DOMESTIC Policy. He should have mentioned his desire to end birthright citizenship. He could have talked more about healthcare.

He needs to frame his discussions on monetary policy in terms of taxes on the poor and middle class. Folks don't want to understand the fed. It is okay if they are too busy putting food on the table that they don't research Austrian economics.

We need to quit patting ourselves on the back that our candidate is so smart that so few people understand him. Or that he is so revolutionary that conservatives don't like him. He won't win without the Republican Party. He is a conservative, at least what conservatives used to be, and he needs to talk like one. He needs to talk about the constitution more than Huckabee and Thompson. Pretending that he did awesome is not going to help him. He has to win over the same folks who believed Bush.

I am all for his platform, I would like for him to talk about all of it, and emphasize the ones conservatives can agree on. He is not running for president right now, he is running to be the Republican candidate. He has to win it to run as president.

ProfNo
01-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Paul was great. He was clearly the alternate option. That's a good place to be in a big field.

He positively took them to the woodshed when he got going about paying lip service to the constitution and consistency. He was on fire. There was even someone in the audience who spontaneously started clapping despite instructions not to do so. In the middle of Paul laying the smackdown the camera shows McCain grinning nervously like a dog. It was sweet.

QFT

I heard the clapping audience member...the only clapping of the whole night!

His response on the constitution was simply AMAZING. It blew everyone out of the water.

Melissa
01-05-2008, 10:20 PM
he did great very happy with this debate

scooter
01-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Don't get too upset that he didn't get more time to talk about ALL of his issues or didn't spend nearly as much time bickering around like the others did.

In Dr. Paul's few moments where he got to speak without interruption he had more substance than any of the others did in the entire debate.