PDA

View Full Version : Watching the debate made me really think

Aldanga
01-05-2008, 08:58 PM
I may want to run for President some day. Paul has a wonderful message but can't articulate it as well as he needs at times and doesn't always make his points well. I believe I could speak it better and explain it better; and that makes me want to do it. Being skilled in rhetoric doesn't hurt the matter.

I'm now 90% sure my second major will be Political Science. The first will be Philosophy.

I really want to get this message out there and change our country.

But I've got at least 17 years before that I can even legally run for President, for better or worse. I'd probably start getting involved in politics seriously in my late 20s once I get settled in life.

pickfair
01-05-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm not planning to run for President anytime soon, but the state of affairs in this country also made me consider a Political Science major. Time to DO something, instead of just sitting around. This is where our generation will differ, hopefully.

AKBryant54
01-05-2008, 08:59 PM
I don't know whether or not a philosophy major would be the best to study, I would recommend either a law degree or and english degree so that you can help with the articulation thing.

Spirit of '76
01-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Keep your nose clean and your closet free of skeletons, and go for it!

Aldanga
01-05-2008, 09:02 PM
I'd rather not get into law. I may end up going there, but I'd prefer to stay away from attending school for many years. Philosophy has to do with the love of wisdom. It has to do with thinking through life and really aides in the political arena, especially in taking apart other peoples' faulty logic.

I'm keeping it clean; and certainly will continue to do so.

Knut Schreiber
01-05-2008, 09:02 PM
The Ron Paul Revolution has to continue even after the election of the president. I can only encourage everyone here to spread the message, run for offices, support freedom projects (like the FSP) etc. It's a long way to freedom.

evadmurd
01-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Good, we'll need you in local government, state government, or congress. Take the message and if you are as strong as RP about sticking to it, not pandering, then go for it.

LibertiORDeth
01-05-2008, 09:04 PM
I'm not planning to run for President anytime soon, but the state of affairs in this country also made me consider a Political Science major. Time to DO something, instead of just sitting around. This is where our generation will differ, hopefully.

I think ill go with a minor.

greendiseaser
01-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Keep your nose clean and your closet free of skeletons, and go for it!

Amen.
I would love to run for some sort of office (okay, not really, but sort of) ...
but there is NO way i am electable at all.

Dabbling in questionable substances and activities, and not involving yourself with the community from a young age is a sure way to shoot your political future in the foot.

if you truly want to run for president,
you should start your involvement with politics as early as possible.

become a congressional aid, or run for local office, and get involved with the community ...

marry a nice and respectable girl from a nice and respectable family, have a few kids, STAY MARRIED, don't fuck up ... lead by example, REMAIN CONSISTENT, and go for it.

That's about all i can say.
:D

RPatTheBeach
01-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Philosophy? Might want to rethink that.

How about economics, or history?

Aldanga
01-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Philosophy? Might want to rethink that.

How about economics, or history?

::chuckles::

I understand your concern about the philosophy major. It's just something in which I'm very interested and helps with thinking through problems and explaining issues. It's goes through rhetoric and speaking skills as well as presenting an argument well, all of which are especially useful in politics. I think those are actually more useful in getting elected than knowing the history of the world or economic history.

Do know, however, that I am educating myself on history--starting with U.S. history and Presidents--and economics. I've got some essays by von Mises and Rothbard. I'm not forgetting these important things.

rollingpig
01-05-2008, 09:11 PM
make sure you stay out of the judicial watch list

Aldanga
01-05-2008, 09:12 PM
make sure you stay out of the judicial watch list

Can't say I know what you're talking about.

*edit*

nvm. I don't think I'll have a problem with that.

Airborn
01-05-2008, 09:16 PM
I think its because they make him a little nervous. Since they have to laugh at him, everytime he speaks, making it a little harder for him to get his words out right. He does alot better speaking with like-minded people.

Aldanga
01-05-2008, 09:23 PM
I think its because they make him a little nervous. Since they have to laugh at him, everytime he speaks, making it a little harder for him to get his words out right. He does alot better speaking with like-minded people.

Yes, that's true; but even then he still has trouble hitting on the points people don't understand. He has the idea that everyone understands the underlying issues when he's explaining monetary policy. That hurts him.

kalami
01-05-2008, 09:26 PM
::chuckles::

I understand your concern about the philosophy major. It's just something in which I'm very interested and helps with thinking through problems and explaining issues. It's goes through rhetoric and speaking skills as well as presenting an argument well, all of which are especially useful in politics. I think those are actually more useful in getting elected than knowing the history of the world or economic history.

Do know, however, that I am educating myself on history--starting with U.S. history and Presidents--and economics. I've got some essays by von Mises and Rothbard. I'm not forgetting these important things.

Just take an inductive logic/critical thinking course instead of majoring in philosophy if that's all you want. By the time you realize what a joke a philosophy major is you'll already be halfway through it and just finish it anyways.

Aldanga
01-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Just take an inductive logic/critical thinking course instead of majoring in philosophy if that's all you want. By the time you realize what a joke a philosophy major is you'll already be halfway through it and just finish it anyways.

I dunno. I'm going to be talking with an advisor, obviously. That'll sort through a lot of things.

I am just increasingly intrigued with the thinking process. There's so much more to it; and philosophy covers that. (Technically it's a religion/philosophy major, but I'd be focusing mostly on Philosophy.)

Look at Dr. Paul: did he major in these things? He's done well. If we're not to believe in career politicians, I can't put all my eggs in that one basket.