PDA

View Full Version : Question about walking list

olehounddog
01-05-2008, 08:45 PM
There are no names on my walking list. Am I supposed to add these name myself? If so where do I get them? :confused::o

Spirit of '76
01-05-2008, 08:50 PM
No names? :confused:

Email:

adam [at] ronpaul2008.com

He should be able to help you.

olehounddog
01-05-2008, 08:55 PM
No names? :confused:

Email:

adam [at] ronpaul2008.com

He should be able to help you.

I did.
This AM
During the beta I had a district map, now it's a black screen.
I'll contact Adam again.
Thanks

Spirit of '76
01-05-2008, 09:03 PM
There could be some errors because of the official roll-out. If you can point them out, it'll help Adam fix 'em.

:)

Rob
01-06-2008, 07:32 AM
I did.
This AM
During the beta I had a district map, now it's a black screen.
I'll contact Adam again.
Thanks

Adam rarely checks his email. I'm going to pass along the info that your district has problems.

WilliamC
01-06-2008, 07:57 AM
Hey I've been trying to get a map and names for my district for three days. Both are blank! Tell them to add Tate County Mississippi to their list too. I've got to buy slim jims and I don't know how many of what kind to order.

Rob
01-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Hey I've been trying to get a map and names for my district for three days. Both are blank! Tell them to add Tate County Mississippi to their list too. I've got to buy slim jims and I don't know how many of what kind to order.

I'll pass that on too.

WRellim
01-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Adam rarely checks his email. I'm going to pass along the info that your district has problems.

You have GOT to be kidding, right? I mean the "bug report" email goes to his adress, and now you're saying he doesn't check it?

Who exactly is running the asylum?

Rob
01-06-2008, 04:06 PM
The higher ups are giving us the run around; trust me he's busting his butt. He's basically managing the whole system by himself.

zakkubin
01-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Add Cabot Arkansas to the list area code 72023

What my local meetup is doing is using shared google maps and documents.

We all post pins to the maps to mark where we need a Ron Paul sign up and what neighborhoods we have canvased. It works very well but it would be nice to have some specific information about people.

daniroyer
01-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Wow, the one complaint I had with my list (having all political affiliations listed in a closed primary state) was fixed within 24 hours. I think the state coordinator nagged 'em about it and that helped it along.

Damn. If it's only one guy running it, I feel bad for him!

beachbum721
01-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Pls add Wake county, NC, also. My walking list is also blank.

QWE
01-06-2008, 11:48 PM
As someone who worked with Adam to compile these walk-lists, I will say it was a HUGE task for Adam to make all this and set it up. He's basically doing this all alone, we should give him a huge thanks on this!
What I helped with involved logging onto 20+ computers at my school late late at night and run a program Adam wrote (and had to modify for most state's data) that made the PDFs from huge (1-5GB usually) text files that we had to download from the RNC. Each state took hours and many didn't finish before 7am - we only got about 7 or 8 completely done that night, I think. If there's buggy data it's because each state has different data collected and sometimes represents it differently in the text file of raw data that we were sorting through. Adam must have spent a lot of time on his own compiling the rest of the states... let alone the time it took to write the code to sort/make the PDFs by precinct!

So just to let you know, I doubt any other campaign uses the raw data like we did. These walk lists give us a huge advantage.

WilliamC
01-07-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm still not getting any names nor a map of my precinct. I've reported this several times on the website. Has information for Mississippi been added yet?

Mortikhi
01-07-2008, 11:26 AM
whoa. My precinct has 34 pages for my walking list.

Good thing I have a meetup tonight. Time to get these youngs (20 yr olds is pretty much my meetup) to work

stevekerp
01-09-2008, 10:34 AM
I just signed up as a captain in Wake County. Is there a way to get walking lists from either the Board of Elections or the state Republican people?

WilliamC
01-09-2008, 10:39 AM
I thank the person doing this, it must be a big job.

But I still don't have any information in my walking list either. The sooner the better yes?

Bradley in DC
01-09-2008, 10:41 AM
How to do it right:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=72640

WilliamC
01-09-2008, 12:40 PM
How to do it right:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=72640

You presume I have a social network.

WRellim
01-11-2008, 12:14 AM
The higher ups are giving us the run around; trust me he's busting his butt. He's basically managing the whole system by himself.

Well then the campaign has it's head up its proverbial A _ _ once again.

If the concept here is to have a database to serve the dreamlike number of 180,000 precinct leaders and they haven't allocated more resources to this than ONE volunteer...

Then I must question not only the competence of the management, but it's sanity as well.

I have no doubt Adam is a very capable DB person (since I am one myself, I can acknowledge that he has definitely done a GOOD job and very quickly -- though I would then be very concerned about the robustness of the mechanisms and their ability to carry the load -- the rule of 2/3 is unrefutable, you can WANT things to be done Cheap, Fast, and Right, but you can only have 2 of those; and you choose Cheap & Fast at your peril!)

At they very LEAST Adam should have recruited some additional volunteer help (there are plenty of people like myself who could have contributed expertise and code modules that would allow additional features, etc) -- and the campaign CERTAINLY could have allocated someone to help coordinate "volunteers" or some such, else what is the point of recording the volunteer data, etc.

WRellim
01-11-2008, 12:42 AM
As someone who worked with Adam to compile these walk-lists, I will say it was a HUGE task for Adam to make all this and set it up. He's basically doing this all alone, we should give him a huge thanks on this!

And surely we do, but it brings up questions of resource allocation & competence on the part of the campaign if they made him do this alone (when there is plenty of volunteer expertise available -- I would have volunteered AND forwarded my own resume & references -- and the project could have been broken down into modular parts.)

What I helped with involved logging onto 20+ computers at my school late late at night and run a program Adam wrote (and had to modify for most state's data) that made the PDFs from huge (1-5GB usually) text files that we had to download from the RNC. Each state took hours and many didn't finish before 7am - we only got about 7 or 8 completely done that night, I think. If there's buggy data it's because each state has different data collected and sometimes represents it differently in the text file of raw data that we were sorting through. Adam must have spent a lot of time on his own compiling the rest of the states... let alone the time it took to write the code to sort/make the PDFs by precinct!

Actually, 5Gb text files are not that uncommon. You must not have much experience with big db's.

And you should have been able to setup tests of scripts and run them on subsets of the data files instead of importing the full files multiple times (which is what it sounds like you did). Regardless if you had the horsepower, bulk inserts of even 5 Gb database table shouldn't take THAT long, not these days ...back in the COBOL era, yes, but not now.

So just to let you know, I doubt any other campaign uses the raw data like we did. These walk lists give us a huge advantage.

Regardless, the work IS done now, and it was a pretty good job. :cool:

Though the limitations of the system are annoying. Geocoding on the rural maps would be very nice, and the flat "eglatarian" nature of the precinct allocation will prevent us from covering more than maybe 5% to 10% of the precincts across the country.

As to the other campaigns, I wouldn't be so fast to make such an arrogant or hubristic assumption** -- Romney, et al, will simply subcontract this type of work out instead of trying to do it on a shoestring; and more than likely, the other candidates didn't get the "raw data" because they probably got the cleaned-up Voter Vault DB files instead. RP got the raw end of the deal -- in part perhaps because of bias, but perhaps also because the wrong person was used as an intermediary and the wrong questions were asked ...and the wrong resource (raw data) was given as the answer, resulting in a LOT of extra work.

I've seen this scenario happen OVER and OVER again in businesses -- so many times it is not even funny anymore -- needless file conversions {like exporting Solidworks files to IGES and then reimporting them to Solidworks, etc} and reinvention of the wheel {i.e. the "harmonizing" of the raw data that you did when the RNC has already probably done this} because there were 2 or 3 "intermediaries" that didn't understand the technology enough to ask the right questions or get the right answers. This is a MAJOR reason why Govenment IT projects always have substantial cost overruns -- because ID10T's are put in charge of writing the specs! If techie can talk to techie, often a LOT of wasted efforts can be avoided. :eek:

**As proof, look at how well the GOTV efforts worked in Iowa and New Hampshire. If I hear one more time that "the dog ate my database" -- well... nuff said.:mad: