PDA

View Full Version : Paul's Healthcare answer

blakjak
01-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Was it just me or did he state his entire platform in that answer? I think it was a little too much??

braumstr
01-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Its his weakest issue. Fortunately, they are all weaker, save maybe one or two.

dircha
01-05-2008, 08:24 PM
To me he came off as suggesting that monetary policy is the primary factor in the cost of medical care. That's a bit of a stretch. Normally he answers questions like this by saying that the cost of medical care is so high because government heavily subsidizes it and regulates it. I think that is a more accurate response.

Jobarra
01-05-2008, 08:25 PM
Its his weakest issue. Fortunately, they are all weaker, save maybe one or two.
No, it's not his weakest issue. He has some very good answers about healthcare. He just flubbed it in my opinion because the majority of watchers won't get the monetary policy connection. This was part of his weak phase. Like it or not, this could have only been improved upon.

Saying that though, the facebook poll stated that the Republicans didn't talk about Economy enough. If this is true, then Dr. Paul was right in bringing up monetary policy in nearly every question. The problem is if the viewers make the connection.

Menthol Patch
01-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Monetary policy IS the primary factor in the cost of medical care! Government regulation is the second factor.

If the government was REDUCED, the income tax eliminated, and we returned to sound money the economy would BOOM and 90% more people could afford to pay for health insurance.

evandi
01-05-2008, 08:49 PM
The interesting thing about his answer is that it made people think he was a kook... but! he also made the point that thompson didn't understand. Now anybody might say that, but he made an excellent point about the economy later on that was clear, consise and perfect that perhaps left people thinking that Ron Paul really did know what he was talking about and he just happened to be the only one who knows. Perhaps many people will see that and ponder whether their lack of understanding is due to his insanity or his genius.

NerveShocker
01-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Monetary policy IS the primary factor in the cost of medical care! Government regulation is the second factor.

If the government was REDUCED, the income tax eliminated, and we returned to sound money the economy would BOOM and 90% more people could afford to pay for health insurance.

Agreed. Also.. it didn't make him look like a kook evandi, my family is mostly democrats and they were impressed by the answer. Well they were impressed by him in general.. as was I. ;)

evandi
01-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Agreed. Also.. it didn't make him look like a kook, my family is mostly democrats and they were impressed by the answer. Well they were impressed by him in general.. as was I. ;)

Well, Thompsons response and the audiences laughter made me think that some people thought he was a kook.

Ron Paul Fan
01-05-2008, 08:54 PM
The answer was brilliant. Thompson is an idiot and most of the audience were handpicked neo-cons.

yongrel
01-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Eh, I wasn't thrilled by Dr. Paul's health care answer. by no means was it bad, but it could have been a lot stronger. He definitely should have mentioned that he was a doctor, at the very least.

NerveShocker
01-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Thompson's response was "huh?" or "Hmm..?" I think they were probably laughing at him more than with him. ;) Just how we saw it.

itshappening
I think he was sort of having a go at McCain, who mentions inflation but NEVER talks about the underlying causes (the fed etc) I think that's what Paul was getting at with that answer, he was trying to school McCain

idiom
He should have led with 'I am a doctor and I understand this better than these flubs...' then in to monetary policy.

evandi
01-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Thompson's response was "huh?" or "Hmm..?" I think they were probably laughing at him more than with him. ;) Just how we saw it.

Well, thats great.

I am very glad to be wrong. But I hope that if anybody agreed with Thompson my analysis was correct for them.

Knut Schreiber
01-05-2008, 08:57 PM
He definitely should have mentioned that he was a doctor, at the very least.

Absolutely. And RP should not try to get monetary policy in every answer. I know, it's one of his favourites topics, but most people don't understand it. He should use a more emotional approach, speaking about him being a doctor, delivering 4K babys, working for free for poor people etc. And blame government regulations and praise markets.

Created4
01-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Healthcare should NOT be his weakest issue. He is the ONLY candidate that believes in Health Freedom, and limiting the vast powers of the FDA that serves only the interests of drug lobby. He missed a golden opportunity to refute what Romney said about drug companies, and should take every opportunity he has to talk about how government censorship and control through agencies like the FDA are dangering America. A big issue broadcast on CNN today was the fact that the FDA is going to allow cloned meat and dairy into the food chain, with NO LABELING, and CNN did a great job showing how the few peer-reviewed studies the FDA was relying on were funded by those with patents on cloning. He needs to expose this more!!!

SQLz
01-05-2008, 08:58 PM
To me he came off as suggesting that monetary policy is the primary factor in the cost of medical care. That's a bit of a stretch. Normally he answers questions like this by saying that the cost of medical care is so high because government heavily subsidizes it and regulates it. I think that is a more accurate response.

A weak dollar will affect the price of everything. We live in a global economy now. Stuff comes from everywhere. The price of good microbrew beer alone in the last 2 months has jumped like $2.00 a six pack because of imported hops.

braumstr
01-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Well, I think he is weak on healthcare. Even if we agree he has the policy questions correct, he gets so complicated in his response that you have to already know the issue to understand him. Hardly beneficial in a national debate when your trying to win voters who never heard of you.

Lets face it, the country, and I have to admit myself are with Obama on this, not Ron.

The only thing is, I am here because I have observed government controlled programs and I agree they dont work.

So, I am somewhat torn on the issue, but I am a realist. Even the best socialized medicine pipe dreams are not likely to make past the numerous congress people on corporate payrolls. It might not hurt to bring that fact up.

AggieforPaul
01-05-2008, 09:00 PM
I'll admit that I don't think Ron paul has a great plan in place for healthcare. But neither does anyone else, so oh well.

Created4
01-05-2008, 09:01 PM
He should have led with 'I am a doctor and I understand this better than these flubs...' then in to monetary policy.

Yes! One of his biggest assets, in my opinion, is when he talks about his private practice in delivering over 4000 babies, and how the privacy relationship between patient and doctor is eroded by the government, and how in private practice he never accepted government payments through medicare and medicaid.

evandi
01-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Well, I think he is weak on healthcare. Even if we agree he has the policy questions correct, he gets so complicated in his response that you have to already know the issue to understand him. Hardly beneficial in a national debate when your trying to win voters who never heard of you.

Lets face it, the country, and I have to admit myself are with Obama on this, not Ron.

The only thing is, I am here because I have observed government controlled programs and I agree they dont work.

So, I am somewhat torn on the issue, but I am a realist. Even the best socialized medicine pipe dreams are not likely to make past the numerous congress people on corporate payrolls. It might not hurt to bring that fact up.

If you're with Obama on this one you may not realize that corporations like having the government pay them money. The corporations are not against the type of socialized healthcare that is being pushed, and I don't think you are right that "the country" is with you on this one. It is just something that is being pushed. The ones pushing it are trying to create the impression that there is a consensus.

Believe me, big business loves healthcare.

Created4
01-05-2008, 09:03 PM
I'll admit that I don't think Ron paul has a great plan in place for healthcare. But neither does anyone else, so oh well.

You are totally wrong. He is stronger than all the other candidates on this issue, and it is how I got to know him in the first place about 3 years ago... See my previous two posts in this thread.

evadmurd
01-05-2008, 09:09 PM
All of the domestic policies hinge on the disastrous foreign policy being changed. RP will, and should, continue to drive that message clearly to the electorate.

Created4
01-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Well, I think he is weak on healthcare. Even if we agree he has the policy questions correct, he gets so complicated in his response that you have to already know the issue to understand him.

He is NOT weak in healthcare. He is the only one that stands for health freedom. He just didn't get into tonight, unfortunately. He needs to be better prepared to explain the corruption in the FDA and expose the drug companies for what they are, part of the new "facisim" he has talked about. With the comment from Romney, he had a golden opportunity to talk about this.

sunghoko
01-05-2008, 09:15 PM
He's answered it better before. He could have said things like he worked at a charity hospital for 3 bucks an hour. He should also say he's never turned down a patient when they didn't have money

I liked his analogy of laser corrective eye surgery prices going down because that is not covered under insurance and that is one reason why the free market economy works. If we give people free medical care to people, the government is basically giving the doctors a blank check. furthermore he should just flat out say why should person A be paying for person B's medical bill.

Dr Paul should say more money in people's pockets = more choices and demand will drive this economy

Knut Schreiber
01-05-2008, 09:15 PM
I'll admit that I don't think Ron paul has a great plan in place for healthcare.

Well, that's the point. There SHOULD be no plan from government for people. His message is: I won't plan YOUR healthcare for you. I treat you like an adult and let YOU decide. That's freedom.

braumstr
01-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Well, he mopped the floor on other issues and lets not forget its all moot unless the war is ended.

I would like to hear a much better tuned message on healthcare that fits into a sound byte from the Dr.

I have yet to see that. If we get the nomination, it will be needed.

Peace&Freedom
01-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Paul HAS answered the health question with all the above phrases (as a physician, health freedom, et al). When you're in the heat of a debate like this where you are passed over til late in the round, even though you are a doctor, even after you've waved your hand to get a word in, and are given only one shot to talk, you will tend to rush a lot of words out in a short space. Paul was generally skipped over when health insurance questions were asked in debates ALL YEAR LONG. Given the circumstances tonight he did well.

braumstr
01-05-2008, 09:40 PM
"corporations like having the government pay them money. The corporations are not against the type of socialized healthcare that is being pushed, and I don't think you are right that "the country" is with you on this one."

Hold on a minute cowpoke. The dems draw quite a bit more ppl right now then the Republicans and its not all because of the war.

Most realize that we already have socialized med. and pay more per capita then many other countries who have UNIVERSAL care. Yes we have the best advanced care but if you cant access it who gives a crap?

Anyhow, we just disagree on this, mostly, but like I said I understand that OUR government cant manage anything effectively. Thats why I am here and not on Obama's board.

evadmurd
01-05-2008, 09:41 PM
McCain's answer was hideous. Just further managed care and putting all the responsibility on the the practitioner to succeed with the patient. This discounts patient non-compliance, poor lifestyle, heredity, etc. As a health care provider, I wish RP would have just said, after everyone droned on, "excuse me, but I believe I am the only physician here and you are all full of ****."

blakjak
01-05-2008, 09:42 PM
He's answered it better before. He could have said things like he worked at a charity hospital for 3 bucks an hour. He should also say he's never turned down a patient when they didn't have money

I liked his analogy of laser corrective eye surgery prices going down because that is not covered under insurance and that is one reason why the free market economy works. If we give people free medical care to people, the government is basically giving the doctors a blank check. furthermore he should just flat out say why should person A be paying for person B's medical bill.

Dr Paul should say more money in people's pockets = more choices and demand will drive this economy

I like these answers.

Created4
01-05-2008, 09:52 PM
"corporations like having the government pay them money. The corporations are not against the type of socialized healthcare that is being pushed, and I don't think you are right that "the country" is with you on this one."

Hold on a minute cowpoke. The dems draw quite a bit more ppl right now then the Republicans and its not all because of the war.

Most realize that we already have socialized med. and pay more per capita then many other countries who have UNIVERSAL care. Yes we have the best advanced care but if you cant access it who gives a crap?

I think you have a point in that Healthcare is more important to the voters right now than the war. So I think Dr. Paul MUST fine tune this in his message, and expose the drug companies for what they are, and show how they hijacked a major part of our taxes last year in the medicare bill that was strong-armed through congress with big money lobbiests, and are in bed with the FDA. Besides we do NOT have the best healthcare in the world!! The statistics show we are declining fast - from life expectancy, to average height, etc. we are behind most industrial countries. Huckabee actually had the one right (partial) answer on this, saying that our system is not a "HEALTH" care system, but a disease management system. He just didn't push it further to the conclusion that the drug companies profit more from managing disease than making people well. So what good is universal health coverage if the system is broke!!! It will just profit the drug companies even more. If Dr. Paul doesn't jump on this, Huckabee might end up with a better position on this issue. And being in the alternative health field myself, I can tell you that Romney lost a LOT of support tonight by saying the drug companies are not evil.

murrayrothbard
01-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Government is the problem with health care, not the solution. Government interference in the health care "market" is what causes exorbitant prices.

On one side you have government (both state and federal) restricting production/supply of health care services. You have arbitrary regulations dictating what kind of treatment is allowed, who is allowed to provide it, in what way is acceptable for it to be provided, where it is allowed to be provided. ALL regulations of health care provision serve to RESTRICT SUPPLY of health care services, which directly results in a rise in price.

On the other side, you have the government artificially stimulating demand for health care services. Subsidies, care mandates, and/or price controls (ceilings) work to increase the demand for health care services beyond their natural level. This of course also directly results in a rise in the prices of health care services.

What do you get with an artificial restriction of the supply of goods combined with an artificially stimulated demand for the these same goods??? SKYROCKETING PRICES! The monetary system has nothing to do with this. If we had the same amount of government interference in the health care market, but had a sound monetary system prices would still be exorbitant and consumers would still be harmed. Inflation only further exasperates the problem. It is NOT the root cause.

Created4
01-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Government is the problem with health care, not the solution. Government interference in the health care "market" is what causes exorbitant prices.

Exactly. Go look up the 60 minutes video on You Tube about how the medicare bill was passed last year. It will make you sick. This is what Dr. Paul needs to be talking about.

Created4
01-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Exactly. Go look up the 60 minutes video on You Tube about how the medicare bill was passed last year. It will make you sick. This is what Dr. Paul needs to be talking about.

I think it is actually on Google Video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-423571372660219856&q=60+minutes+medicare+bill&total=9&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

"60 Minutes tells the story of how pharmaceutical industry lobbyists literally wrote the historic Medicare Prescription Drug Bill and twisted arms to get the necessary votes to have it passed in the middle of the night. Correspondent Steve Kroft documents how many of the congressmen and staffers who worked on the bill later went on to work for the drug companies their legislation helped enrich."

thoughtbombing
01-05-2008, 10:18 PM
This was his best answer.. he went down the checklist of his ENTIRE PLATFORM and New Hampshire voters were probably jumping up and down at the time... BEST ANSWER OF THE NIGHT!!!

murrayrothbard
01-05-2008, 10:20 PM
This was his best answer.. he went down the checklist of his ENTIRE PLATFORM and New Hampshire voters were probably jumping up and down at the time... BEST ANSWER OF THE NIGHT!!!

I don't know. It seemed to me that he tried to fit his whole platform in the answer without even answering his question...I can't see anyone understanding his answer unless they were already a Paul supporter.

Created4
01-05-2008, 10:31 PM
He badly needs a speech writer and a speech coach but I doubt the good doctor would go for either of these. I don't think he even rehearses for the debates.

I disagree. I think he does get coached and does rehearse, his personality just isn't well suited for this type of forum. The way he handled the Obama question seemed pre-determined based on the Iowa result. You can bet the campaign is discussing how to get some of those independent votes to swing over to him. I thought that was one of his best moments of the night....

braumstr
01-05-2008, 10:35 PM
"Romney lost a LOT of support tonight by saying the drug companies are not evil."

You know what, I forgot all about that. Thats a good point.

The drug companies are in fact evil.

I think you guys are talking about the prescription drug benefit that the Republicans rammed through. I am aware of it, but it is kind of my point.

There is no question that absent corruption, we could spend less and have universal care. ..thats my point.

where it fails for me is the "absent corruption" part. Its never gonna happen.

I understand that reducing cost is our best option, but I also understand those who support people like Obama.

We need to seriously consider this issue a bit further than barking about free markets and monetary policy or people are going to do the Thompson shuffle, kind of like how a cow looks at a passing train... Someone who cannot afford to pay the bills or loses everything due to catastrophic illness is not going to want to hear about a free market...it needs to be presented in realist terms...

Something like, look, I know your suffering...but your never going to get to universal coverage. The congressional support is not there and neither is the money. Our monetary system is broke and we have huge deficits that have to be corrected.

I will reduce your costs to the point where you will be able to afford the care you need on your income. I cant do it overnight, but I am a Dr.. I want to end your suffering. Help me help you. Fill it in with some statistics or facts or tidbits on policy that you can hang your hat on....

That is all I am saying.

rfbz
01-05-2008, 10:39 PM
I've noticed a lot of times in answers, he'll start going through his entire platform, but I think he does this because he doesn't get much time in debates, so when he does get a chance to talk, he tries to get out as much as possible.

Johncjackson
01-05-2008, 10:49 PM
My wife is a Dem and has no clue about monetary policy. This was the part where she thought he made the most sense.

Johncjackson
01-05-2008, 10:52 PM
I've noticed a lot of times in answers, he'll start going through his entire platform, but I think he does this because he doesn't get much time in debates, so when he does get a chance to talk, he tries to get out as much as possible.

Right, and there are really a couple main points ( that voters care about) that set him apart from the other candidates- mostly foreign policy and monetary policy.

All the other guys can try to "out-Reagan" each other on spending and taxes and at least pay lip service to the concepts of federalism and small government. But he is the only guy in his party ( and probably the other party as well) for Peace and Sound Money.

MN Patriot
01-05-2008, 11:42 PM

Health INSURANCE is part of the problem. Thanks to the communist income tax, Americans have gotten accustomed to having their insurance company pay for their health care. It is like having government pay for your health care, you don't care how much it costs, after all, the insurance company is paying for it.

Health insurance should only be for catastrophic needs, not day to day doctor visits.

Created4
01-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Health INSURANCE is part of the problem. Thanks to the communist income tax, Americans have gotten accustomed to having their insurance company pay for their health care. It is like having government pay for your health care, you don't care how much it costs, after all, the insurance company is paying for it.

Health insurance should only be for catastrophic needs, not day to day doctor visits.

Exactly, and that is what Health Savings accounts are for. I am completely clueless as to what Romney was talking about tonight when he said people who make $100,000.00 income and choose to not have insurance should not walk into a hospital and expect to not pay their hospital bill because they don't have insurance. Where does that happen?? I choose not to have insurance for myself and our family, because we take responsibility for our own health and choose to trust the Lord, instead of government and insurance companies. I have raised my family this way, and my children are teenagers now, and we have very seldom visited a doctor or a hospital. And the few times we have, we pay out of our own pocket. Over the years we have come out way ahead by saving and reinvesting our money instead of giving it to the insurance companies or the medical system. There is just too much fear in our society today. The body is wonderfully designed, and can in many cases heal itself without drugs and medical intervention. Knowing I have to pay for any medical services out of my own pocket, I very seldom use them, and we have been blessed. But this is not a message the medical establishment wants to hear, as they earn their billions through fear. Many of the "medical issues" today are manufactured by the drug and medical industry, such as the cholesterol myth on heart disease. But statin drugs are the most profitable drugs on the market today.

http://coconutoil.com/cholesterol.htm - for links to the cholesterol myth.

drpcash
01-06-2008, 01:26 AM
1. Reference to inflation raising the cost, telling the truth eventhough seconding McCain but sounding mainstream.

2. Reference to War-Mogering, borrowing, printing dollars the cause of that inflation and thus separating himself from McCain's logic

3. Dr. paul cannot spin, however the audience or all of us will like to

4. His brilliant reference to People going to India for Treatment should be an eye opener for majority of physician provider who traditionally finance front-runner GOPs unlike litigating attorneys for Dems.
This outsourcing is a growing trend and physicians are watching it nervously.

5. We are the only country spending 1.8-2 Trillion blank check, 3rd party heavily regulated pay system, and the abuse and waste is more than military.

I am a Physician, with focus on Health Management. And I pay cash and carry no Health Insurance. And I Know and is part of the abuse/waste system. Average Cost to a retiree on Medicare in Wisconsin: $4,500, in S. Florida $11,000.
When a state forces you to carry auto-insurance, the cover and Back Page adds on your yellow page is from an auto-injury attorney, go figure.
Dr. Paul's Gold standard baffles me (30% of world's estimated gold hoarding is in India, and the country is not rich under any economic measure), but his freemarket beliefs are the most potent medicine the good doc can prescribe.

thisisgiparti
01-06-2008, 03:42 AM
This was a good answer for the elderly who worry more about monetary policy and health care than anyone. He needs to refine his delivery, but he's getting it. The nice thing I've noticed is that the other candidates take a while to grasp what he's saying. If it sounds ok then they'll steal it.

People who are really paying attention (and it takes a while for it to catch on) research it and like it. Once they grab onto Ron Paul, they don't let go.:)

It's just time... we may not have enough time.

drpcash
01-06-2008, 03:50 AM
This was a good answer for the elderly who worry more about monetary policy and health care than anyone. He needs to refine his delivery, but he's getting it. The nice thing I've noticed is that the other candidates take a while to grasp what he's saying. If it sounds ok then they'll steal it.

People who are really paying attention (and it takes a while for it to catch on) research it and like it. Once they grab onto Ron Paul, they don't let go.:)

It's just time... we may not have enough time.

Did You notice Their(other sound-byte crooks) New found allegance?

Created4
01-06-2008, 08:34 AM
"Romney lost a LOT of support tonight by saying the drug companies are not evil."

You know what, I forgot all about that. Thats a good point.

I'm not the only one to take notice of this. Look at how MSNBC reported it:

"Give Romney credit for taking what seemed a risky and unpopular stance: standing up for American pharmaceutical companies.

It showed either enormous foolhardiness — if voters are in a mood to blame drug companies for high prices — or self-confidence.

Romney: Drug firms 'not the bad guys'
After McCain attacked the drug firms, Romney said with a note of reproof in his voice, “Don’t make the pharmaceutical companies into the big bad guys.”

“They are,” McCain shot back."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22516829/

This is going to hurt Romney BIG time, especially among Mormons who are among the biggest consumer groups of alternative health care products, and generally VERY anti-drug companies. Orin Hatch of Utah is one of the biggest supporters of Dr. Paul's Health Freedom bill that seeks to restrict the powers of the FDA.

When it comes to money and going the distance in this crowded GOP field, Romney is the one to beat, and this performance will definitely help Dr. Paul!

RonPaulalways
01-06-2008, 11:14 AM
The best plan for health care is to respect the Constitution and not let the government limit people's choice on it. FDA regulations and licensure do more than any thing else to increase the price of health care.

Socializing health care is inherently tyrannical. What are you going to do if someone chooses to smoke all the time? Do you still force the collective to carry the burden of paying for his/her health expenses? No of course not, you have to force him/her to stop smoking. Once we become a collective, then the collective assumes a right to tell each individual what he/she can/can't do.

Created4
01-06-2008, 02:35 PM
More about the Romney fallout from his endorsement of the pharmaceutical companies.

From: http://norcalconservative.blogspot.com/2008/01/did-anyone-else-notice-how-quick-mitt.html

Did anyone else notice how quick Mitt Romney was to defend pharmaceutical companies after McCain attacked them during the debate? Well, I was sucpicious too and decided to do a quick search on the greatest website ever: OpenSecrets.org.

Well, according to them, Mitt Romney gets more money from pharmaceutical companies than any other Republican candidate running for President… by a lot.

Mitt Romney - $260,535
Rudy Giuliani - $138,850
John McCain - $69,300
Fred Thompson - $26,900
Ron Paul - $20,568
Duncan Hunter - $4,050
Mike Huckabee - $500

The only two candidates with more money from Pharmaceutical (as of the end of the 3rd quarter) were Hillary Clinton and Barrack Obama and Romney was within $10,000 of each of them. So next time you hear Romney talking about health care and pharmaceuticals, remember how much he is getting from this lobby and ask yourself who he’s really representing?

partypooper
01-07-2008, 08:21 AM

this is his problem more generally. when it comes to economics he talks a way too much about monetary policy and a way too little about free markets. by doing this, he allows other candidates to speak about free markets and appear conservative.

DrNoZone
01-07-2008, 09:06 AM
There are three primary factors in the high cost of health care; I don't know what respective order they belong in, but these are the ones that jump out to me:

1. Monetary policy and the price of inflation
2. Government regulation/interference
3. Free riders abusing the emergency rooms due to government mandates that hospitals service everyone regardless of ability to pay.
4. The FDA's byzantine system of approving drugs; it's not a wonder that prescription prices are outrageous when it cost many millions of dollars and 7 or more years to get a new drug approved.
5. Individuals cannot get adequate health insurance at a good price because the insurance industry caters to large groups of buyers such as employer plans.

Any healthcare policy that does not address these facts will not be enough to solve the problem.