PDA

View Full Version : My short review of each candidate from the debate tonight (winners and losers)

Gimme Some Truth
01-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Here is my table and short description of how each candidate did in the ABC debate tonight. Im trying to think from the point of view from the general populous of New Hampshire. I'd probably place them slightly different.

Winner) McCain - destroyed Romney. Looks like he got away with Illegal Immigration amnesty issue , or atleast got away relatively unscathed. Does sound one of the more conservative of the lot

2nd) Paul - Wasn't forceful enough at the beginning in defending his views against the somewhat disrespectful attacks from the others - particularly Rudy and Romney. Later however he did extremely well, esp for NH, with civil liberties, the constitution, ID's , Immigration and inflation/economic issues. Wasn't quite forceful enough but ,along with Huckabee, didn't look immature and negative.

3rd) Thompson - Didn't look particularly enthusiastic (whats new?) , made a few quick witted and good responses. eg. when talking about amnesty. However, he did act a little immature and negative in places. Don't know what to think of him.

4th) Huckabee - Quiet, like Paul, but when talking is like-able and nowhere near as negative as the others ,with the exception of Paul. May have made a hiccup when talking about principles and policies when stating policies will change very regularly. Considering the performances of the other candidates , he could well have bumped himself up by staying out of the mud slinging.

5th.) Guiliani - Just doesn't fit in well at all with the "Live free or die" motto of NH. Cant think of any of his views and policies the majority of people in New Hampshire will be enthusiastic about. Isn't a like-able man like Huckabee.

Loser) Romney - Where to start? Got totally hammered from start to finish. His only hope to not slip in New Hampshire (and beyond) is if people feel sorry for him , or if he can use his wealth to wash over the effects. Did make a couple of valid points about McCain and his amnesty plan but he really is his own worst enemy at times. At one point ,when McCain was going at him, he looked like he was really ruffled.

I think 3rd and 4th places could quite easily be swapped over.

I'd like to hear your thoughts :)

Ron2Win
01-05-2008, 08:13 PM
McCain was awful.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-05-2008, 08:16 PM
I thought McCain was pretty bad too. He looked awful shifty.

hueylong
01-05-2008, 08:16 PM
McCain looked old and stupid.

Gimme Some Truth
01-05-2008, 08:17 PM
McCain was awful.

I agree but , like i stated , im looking at it from a NH , general public, objective view.

I think the debate was entertaining , but wasnt the best format for talking about policies. It was just 1 long argument.

scbissler
01-05-2008, 08:18 PM
I also felt McCain did himself no favors.

spiteface
01-05-2008, 08:19 PM
McCain was like a total creep the way he smiles so big and awkwardly at his own wise cracks. I keep expecting him to actually reach around and pat himself on the back like a real crazy person.

Jenna!
01-05-2008, 08:19 PM
I thought McCain was pretty bad too. He looked awful shifty.

Wussup with the constant "blinking" He gives me the creepy insain mcain vibe....bleck!

Azprint
01-05-2008, 08:20 PM
McCain was bad.

Gimme Some Truth
I disagree

Romney
Paul
Thompson
Giuliani
Huckabee
McCain

Romney!? :eek:

MooCowzRock
I dont think Ron Paul was the best overall, but it DEFINITELY wasn't McCain. I've got a lot of respect for McCain, but his low-blows and personal attacks made him and whatever good points he had look horrible. No matter what, most people are coming off that debate with lost respect for McCain.

Gimme Some Truth
01-05-2008, 08:21 PM
I dont think Ron Paul was the best overall, but it DEFINITELY wasn't McCain. I've got a lot of respect for McCain, but his low-blows and personal attacks made him and whatever good points he had look horrible. No matter what, most people are coming off that debate with lost respect for McCain.

Personally, I totally agree. His attacks looked hateful.

kill the banks
01-05-2008, 08:22 PM

i hope NH agrees with you

kill the banks

wildflower
01-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Wow, it's really interesting how there are so many different perceptions of this debate. Everyone seems to have different opinions on who did well, even on other forums.

spiteface
If Ron Paul had not said anything sensible during the whole thing, I would say that Duncan Hunter won.

Jodi
I think romney really shut huck up in this debate.

Eponym_mi
If anyone bows out this month, anyone have thoughts about where most of their supporters would go?

Dave Wood
I must have been watching a different show.......For some reason I feel reassured by so many saying that RP did well. Personally, I didnt even notice he was on stage, just me. I hope I am wrong.

Jodi
01-05-2008, 08:24 PM
If Ron Paul had not said anything sensible during the whole thing, I would say that Duncan Hunter won.

LOL

pickfair
01-05-2008, 08:24 PM
I don't know what you saw, but McCain was ruined in this debate.

kill the banks
01-05-2008, 08:27 PM
I don't know what you saw, but McCain was ruined in this debate.

convince me

kill the banks

Created4
01-05-2008, 08:29 PM
I don't think McCain did himself any favors by continually attacking Romney on the flip flop issue. It is obviously the same tatic Bush used four years ago against Kerry, but in a primary debate among 6, he looked childish.

I think Guliani does well in debates, and he was prepared this time to meet Paul's criticisms of thinking all Muslims are the problem. Guliani almost mimicked Paul's position in defense, yet he plays the fear against Islamic Jihadists all the time.

For New Hampshire, I think this debate will get people to go look up Paul's views online, if they didn't know him well before, and there are now those great videos in the Issues section. He clearly separated himself from the field, and Romney and McCain ridiculed him, but he hit a home run on the "Principles" question from President Bush, and also did great comparing himself to Obama. But I think he failed to take opportunities at times to really expound on some positions when he had the chance, especially immigration. What happened to ending birth-right citizenship and limiting student visas from terrorist countries?? Did he get scared off by some of the comments here in the forums? I hope not...

evandi
01-05-2008, 08:29 PM
1. Ron Paul
2. Thompson
3. Huckabee
4. Giuliani
5. Romney
6. McCain

WilliamC
01-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Wussup with the constant "blinking" He gives me the creepy insain mcain vibe....bleck!

You know this was one of the major reasons I didn't vote for Bob Dole in 1996? His eyeblink was like once a second, it was distracting from everything he said. Saddam Husein also used to blink his eyes continuously. I agree, it's very disturbing to watch.

risk_reward
01-05-2008, 08:30 PM
McCain will get a lot of independent support from bringing up environmental concerns.

gracemonger
01-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Thompson will blow and throw his support behind McCain.

evandi
01-05-2008, 08:35 PM

Thompson did really well calling out Romney on his mandatory health insurance bullshit. His only problem was the Ugh moment.

navi
01-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Romney was the clear loser to me. The other candidates were able to reinforce his image as a flip flopper. I was impressed with Thompson. He is probably my favorite of the Republicans besides RP. I would prefer Thompson in the White House over all the Democrats.

RP did very well. The format of the debate was excellent and this is by far the best televised debate I've seen this campaign season. Each candidate received a fair amount of talking time and RP got to answer every question.

LibertyBrews
01-05-2008, 08:41 PM
1.Ron(Did'nt speak so much, but what he said was well-articulated, and he was polite)
2.Huckabee(By stealing Ron's positions, and being polite, yet he don't know what he's talking about)
3.Giuliani(As much i hate this guy, he did alright)
4.Romney(Interrupted far too much, negative attacks on McCain, was defending big buisiness, and preaching status quo)
5.Fred(UHM, UHH, EHRM, old geezer)
6.McCain(Looked horrible, wornout, making fun faces, low blows on Mitt and Ron)

RoamZero
01-05-2008, 08:42 PM
2 worries of the result of this debate:

Old people rallying behind Giuliani over fascist mentality, leaving the impression on them that he'll arrest all the young hooligans that old people feel threatened by.

McCain taking a lot of young votes because he leans left and brought up the environment.

tamor
01-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Does McCain have any ideas that don't lead back to the war?

Lyn
01-05-2008, 08:45 PM
I almosted spit my dinner up when Romney said "oh don't call the drug companies bad guys" to McCain. Does he have some major dough invested there or what.

I was really getting peeved at all the phonies taking positions that I've heard Ron Paul say from the beginning, especially the Ghoul with his "We should talk with other countries and trade with them." That is straight out of Ron's mouth. Heard several others rattle off sentences that I've heard months ago from Ron. Guess they saw how popular these ideas are and they couldn't help but steal them.

The best moment to me was when Charlie Gibson commented on the candidates histories of flip flopping. He brought them all out on the carpet except our guy and he could only look him in the eye and say "Congressman Paul you've remained consistant the only thing you've changed is your party." That was priceless!!

thisisgiparti
01-05-2008, 08:45 PM

+1

too obviously in cahoots with 9udy, I might add.

McCain's biggest criticism are "mean" and "old." Tonight confirmed that, but add "crazy."

N13
01-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Here is my table and short description of how each candidate did in the ABC debate tonight. Im trying to think from the point of view from the general populous of New Hampshire. I'd probably place them slightly different.

Winner) McCain - destroyed Romney. Looks like he got away with Illegal Immigration amnesty issue , or atleast got away relatively unscathed. Does sound one of the more conservative of the lot

2nd) Paul - Wasn't forceful enough at the beginning in defending his views against the somewhat disrespectful attacks from the others - particularly Rudy and Romney. Later however he did extremely well, esp for NH, with civil liberties, the constitution, ID's , Immigration and inflation/economic issues. Wasn't quite forceful enough but ,along with Huckabee, didn't look immature and negative.

3rd) Thompson - Didn't look particularly enthusiastic (whats new?) , made a few quick witted and good responses. eg. when talking about amnesty. However, he did act a little immature and negative in places. Don't know what to think of him.

4th) Huckabee - Quiet, like Paul, but when talking is like-able and nowhere near as negative as the others ,with the exception of Paul. May have made a hiccup when talking about principles and policies when stating policies will change very regularly. Considering the performances of the other candidates , he could well have bumped himself up by staying out of the mud slinging.

5th.) Guiliani - Just doesn't fit in well at all with the "Live free or die" motto of NH. Cant think of any of his views and policies the majority of people in New Hampshire will be enthusiastic about. Isn't a like-able man like Huckabee.

Loser) Romney - Where to start? Got totally hammered from start to finish. His only hope to not slip in New Hampshire (and beyond) is if people feel sorry for him , or if he can use his wealth to wash over the effects. Did make a couple of valid points about McCain and his amnesty plan but he really is his own worst enemy at times. At one point ,when McCain was going at him, he looked like he was really ruffled.

I think 3rd and 4th places could quite easily be swapped over.

I'd like to hear your thoughts :)

I couldn't have said it better. Thanks for saving me the time of writing my own list.

Nailed it.

thisisgiparti
01-05-2008, 08:47 PM

never, and especially after the attempted sandbagging from McCain before Iowa. we all know who started that rumor.

electronicmaji
01-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Paul
Huckabee
Thompson
Romney
Mccain
Giulianni

awigo50
01-05-2008, 08:51 PM
I almosted spit my dinner up when Romney said "oh don't call the drug companies bad guys" to McCain. Does he have some major dough invested there or what.

Sheesh, why all the hate on the drug companies, ay? You'd charge an arm and a leg too if you had to get something approved by the FDA.

Joey Wahoo
I thought McCain whipped Romney thoroughly. Its interesting that so many saw it differently.

McCain detests Romney, and that clearly came through. But Mitt's constant whining about the personal attacks was laughable given all the negative advertising he's doing.

Hopefully we'll see no more of Mitt Romney after next week.

The fact that McCain went out of his way to point out that Joe Leiberman is campaigning for him is striking. It still blows my mind that the supposed Republican frontrunner can improve himself, by associating with a liberal democrat who was second on the Gore ticket.

Its a strange neocon world we live in.

Calvin
1. Ron Paul
2. Thompson
3. Huckabee
4. Giuliani
5. Romney
6. McCain

I agree with this. Giuliani and McCain came across as spiteful in their attacks. Romney's overreaction to barbs made him appear that he has something to cover up (and he probably does). Huckabee looked like the person that will tell you what you want to hear, rather than what you need to hear. Thompson mildly benefited from his blandness when compared to those slinging dirt, and his strong stance against amnesty helped him.

Paul won, hands down. The fact that we all feel _outraged_ by his uncivil treatment isn't lost on other viewers. The worst thing Paul could do is defend himself by lashing out when attacked (like Romney did). When Paul refuses to be lowered and sticks to debating ideas, his actions prod us --and New Hampshire viewers-- to stick up for him. I think that is the secret to his, and to a lesser degree, Huckabee's success; keep the message elevated, let the supporters get personal.

Aldanga
01-05-2008, 08:53 PM
1. Ron Paul
2. Thompson
3. Huckabee
4. Giuliani
5. Romney
6. McCain

That's almost what my best friend said, but he had Thompson first. He's a Thompson supporter.

Good news is he would rather vote for Paul than Giuliani; and he's definitely your classic 'dedicated republican' who loves the war and believes we're attacked because the 'radicals' are evil and we're good. That says something good.

He also said Paul would destroy and democrat in a debate and he'd love to see that.

thisisgiparti
01-05-2008, 08:53 PM
McCain was killed over amnesty. His rhetoric about inflation and alternative energy sources wad hardly convincing after his comment about remaining in Iraq for 100 years, or even the Bush ass-kissing in the beginning. He is obviously running for Bush's third term, and I believe those were somebody else's words during the debate.

WTFYO
01-05-2008, 08:54 PM
McCain came off aweful in my eyes. I

Suzu
01-05-2008, 08:55 PM
The best moment to me was when Charlie Gibson commented on the candidates histories of flip flopping. He brought them all out on the carpet except our guy and he could only look him in the eye and say "Congressman Paul you've remained consistant the only thing you've changed is your party." That was priceless!!

I think it struck a chord with the older crowd, too, because their darling Reagan did the same thing (albeit for a different reason).

WTFYO
01-05-2008, 08:56 PM

LOL +1

MadViking10
01-05-2008, 09:00 PM
McCain remains the Senator from my very own state. I appoligize for letting this lying piece of crap to stay in office. He is a political animal. He panders to each and every side of each and every issue. He is a clown that we have continued to come to the party for way too long.

Meiun
01-05-2008, 09:01 PM
McCain and Hillary are both the OLD establishment that all this "change" talk is about. And, if you listen closely what you'll hear tonight is the attacks by the change agents on the establishment...

What struck me about BOTH of their responses was how MAD they got when attacked! McCain is an old bitter warrior who demands respect for both his personal sacrifice and his long governmental service, and when he doesn't get it outright it pisses him off.

McCain's critical responses came out as hot little one liners... In my opinion this hurt him. I don't think McCain won this debate because he let the discussion over issues become personal.

Huckabee was polite and clearly spoken. He's an oaf! but atleast he's a well spoken oaf. His folksy converse is exactly why the press has latched on to him. For that reason I think he "won" this debate. He won't win in NH, and he won't win the candidacy, but he won this debate by exclusion

bolidew
01-05-2008, 09:03 PM
McCain hurt himself more than help.
He is the #2 loser if not #1.

tmg19103
01-05-2008, 09:04 PM
I thought McCain kicked butt, but I'm from Philly where people tell it like it is. I lived in Charlotte, NC for a few years and I could see how they would have been turned off by McCain's smug attacks.

The question is the N.H. people. I can see them being split. I also think since McCain and Romney are the front runners, if anything people would switch between the two (a neocon friend of mine just did).

The real question is - did RP do well enough for third (I'm being realistic folks - I pray for 1st or 2nd)?

I think Thompson will be the one to beat out for third. My neocon buddy's comment was he liked him personally (I just can't see that), but he did not feel Fred had any enthusiasm - BUT I can see the 60+ crowd not seeing that.

I just hope the Independents of N.H. just don't give too much too Obama.

thisisgiparti
01-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Unlikability is a problem for Romney, especially when it seemed tonight even the rest of his party will agree with American voters. Hillary is more likable than Romney. (and she came back strong tonight.)

I really dislike Romney now, and I used to admire his campaign's organization. I sympathized with the religious discrimination, or maybe he was just awkward. He and McCain and Giuliani all three showed poorly tonight, just with sheer ugliness in regards to personal attacks, as well as pandering.

forsmant
01-05-2008, 09:05 PM
McCain's jaws don't move when he talks. Just his lips and the tumor in his neck.

thisisgiparti
01-05-2008, 09:07 PM
I thought McCain kicked butt, but I'm from Philly where people tell it like it is. I lived in Charlotte, NC for a few years and I could see how they would have been turned off by McCain's smug attacks.

Tell it like it is is not McCain's strong suit. Juan McCain? McCain-Feingold? Cheerleader for the Iraq cakewalk?

Gimme Some Truth
01-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Paul
Huckabee
Thompson
Rudy
McCain
Romney

Thats my personal opinion. All the attacking wasnt impressive. If you cant keep it civil against a fellow countryman , let alone a fellow colleague and part member how can you work out issues with Kim Jong Ill and other foreign leaders where just showing the sole of your shoe can cause a rift in diplomacy?

Lyn
01-05-2008, 09:09 PM
MadViking - my mom lives in the same city as you do in az. I have been telling her about Paul and she has been on the fence as she says she doesn't think he can win. Today she told me about all the signs that suddenly popped up in town and she is starting to see him as viable. I told her about the meetups, the blimp, all the Fox shenanigans. She hates Fox. We had such a long conversation. Then she told me she watched the interview yesterday with Bill Moyers and she is sold on him as far as the issues but she just wants to feel he is electable.
I'll keep working on her but I told her to make up her mind quick as she is registered dem and needs to change by Monday to rep. Anyway thanks for helping out with the signs around town. I told her to check out the meetup group site. She called me this PM to find out about this ABC debate. I hope it gave her the final nudge she needed. At least with the field wittled down Dr. Paul got to give some answers this time.

ArchPaul
01-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Ron Paul got rocked in the beginning, but came back strong. Thompson was arrogant, and Dr. Paul schooled him in economics.
1. Hucky; Only cause he flew under the radar, and stole Dr. Paul's positions.
2. Dr. Paul; He came back strong, he has explicit knowledge of economics, foreign policy and freedom, and that came through tonight.
3. Romney; Got nothing :D
4. Thompson; Confident, but looks like he doesn't care.
5. McCain; Career politician and it shows. It will be ssdd if he's elected.
6. Giuliani; Ugh! Can this guy be ANY more arrogant?! :mad: He only wants to be president so he can add it to his resume for bragging rights.

Did I hear Giuliani right? he said '... and the Patriot Act, I support that.'

jd603
01-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Yeah , Ron 1st, Huckabee 2nd (even though he borrowed from Ron's ideology ie, stole from Ron) but I'm going by if I hadn't known either of the candidates before tonight.

Jagwarr
01-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Half the time the McCain was shown he was laughing and often at his own jokes, he was horrible and looked more like a mad man. Something has gone wrong with that guy or he is not hiding his true manner any longer. Either way I'd say he lost a decent amount of votes tonight.

ArchPaul
01-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Lyn, I live in Phoenix. Its true. There a Paul signs everywhere in NW and some on west side of town. And thats what I was explaining to my mom and girlfriend... "these signs were put up by grassroots supporters. Look around, there are NO OTHER CANDIDATES SIGNS! Why? " I could see the light bulbs coming on in their head...

specsaregood
01-05-2008, 09:21 PM
McCain remains the Senator from my very own state. I appoligize for letting this lying piece of crap to stay in office. He is a political animal. He panders to each and every side of each and every issue. He is a clown that we have continued to come to the party for way too long.

How do the people of AZ feel about the fact that the guy has missed at least 85% of the votes this year? When was the last time he voted in the senate. This is something he *should* be getting hammered on.

PC_for_Paul
01-05-2008, 09:24 PM
What does LIVE FREE OR DIE have in common with pandering, eating crap from the GOP higher ups(2000), then falls in line and kisses ass. Even on torture, you can forgive other people in congress when it's just abstract. Not McCain, he knows we torture and covered for it.

and I used to really like him, now I can't trust him. Washington broke him, they haven't Ron.

I think all the Viet Cong would have gotten out of Ron is Lincoln was a fascist, and Silver is Money. that and Vietnam would have a gold and silver based currency now:).

I can just see them interviewing his captors some 30 years later, " Hey we were communist but we weren't stupid, the gold and silver thing was the best thing we ever did." He said wearing his Ron Paul 2008 T-shirt.

braumstr
01-05-2008, 09:25 PM
I thought Romney cleaned up the floor with McCain on Immigration/Amnesty.

I thought Romney took a beating from all sides but gave as good as he got. I think overall he scored the most.

The rest, including Huck, seemed to either flounder or make no sense at all.

Paul took a beating early but gave as good as he got. No one cornered him despite them all yelling at him at once. that has to count for something.

The rest of the debate our man rocked them.

Dr. Paul won this one, hands down.

ArchPaul
01-05-2008, 09:26 PM
How do the people of AZ feel about the fact that the guy has missed at least 85% of the votes this year? When was the last time he voted in the senate. This is something he *should* be getting hammered on.

He's a career politician. Then he has an entitlement attitude, as if he should be given the presidency.

scottyc32
01-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Paul
Romney
Thompson
Ghouliani
Mccain
Huckabee

Dr. Paul, as usual, made the most out of the least amount of time.

Romney got attacked on all sides but acted like an adult and actually (to me) sounded sincere in his views.

Thompson parroted RP views on occasion and picked his spots well.

Rudy was the same old Rudy but had a few good moments.

Mccain showed himself to be the senile, out of touch old man that he is.

Huckabee didn't speak often, but when he did he might as well have been reading from a cue card. He's a professional bullsh*t artist.

UtahApocalypse
01-05-2008, 09:38 PM
If tonight was the first debate I had watched this election season:

1) Thompson: He Answered the question without fighting like a child with everyone else.
2) Paul: Took awhile to get going, had a strong stance on economy, and then sat quietly the last 20 mins.
3) Huckabee: Did not get into the fighting, but I don't want a minister I want a President.
4) McCain: Was very negative, but the attacks were true and witty
5) Romney: Was fighting like a child, constantly butting in
6) Giuliani: Reminds me of Hitler

Texan4RP
01-05-2008, 10:03 PM
1. Ron Paul
2. Thompson
3. Huckabee
4. Giuliani
5. Romney
6. McCain

I agreed with evandi exactly my wife was very close as well