PDA

View Full Version : the dirty on the candidates

Roxi
07-18-2007, 11:01 AM
lets review what we know (AS FACT NOT OPINION) about the other candidates that is considered "dirty little secrets"

I want the DIRT people!!!!

please post some sort of link or source as well

Highmesa
07-18-2007, 11:03 AM
http://blogs.southflorida.com/citylink_dansweeney/giuliani_in_drag.jpg

TheEvilDetector
07-18-2007, 11:06 AM
thats enough dirt for 100 people.

DeadheadForPaul
07-18-2007, 11:06 AM
Mitt Romney intentionally put his dog on top of his car for a long trip for vacation

PatriotOne
07-18-2007, 11:08 AM
We'll need a separate thread for Rudy. His list is very, very, long.

torchbearer
Rudy was responsible for the deaths of 121 firemen and for making a profit off their deaths... check out this website and view the youtube:
http://www.rudy-urbanlegend.com/

ChairmanMao
Guiliani and the cleanup of WTC

torchbearer
07-18-2007, 11:09 AM
Mitt Romney = Flip-flopper on almost every issue.

Syren123
07-18-2007, 11:10 AM
John McCain's wife has a boyfriend. Does that count?

torchbearer
07-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Top Tier is CFR

Syren123
07-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Top Tier is CFR

Exactly. How much more dirt do you need.

qednick
07-18-2007, 11:15 AM
Giuliani's father was a NY mobster that spent several months in Sing Sing prison.

ChairmanMao
07-18-2007, 11:17 AM
Romney and pardons

torchbearer
07-18-2007, 11:18 AM
"Grand Illusion", the untold story of Rudy Giuliani, points out that he accepted a Knighthood from England and can put "KBE(knight(servant)of the British Empire)", behind his name. Some say that this is in violation of Art.I,sect.9, of the U.S.Constitution, an act of Treason. Will he have to publically relinquish this "Title of Nobility", in order to run for office?

torchbearer
07-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Top Tier support the Fed and the international bankers: "Some even believe we Rockefellers are part of a
secret cabal working against the best interests of
the USA, characterizing us as 'internationalists'
and of conspiring around the world to build a more
integrated global political and economic structure,
one world. If that's the charge, I stand guilty,
and I am proud of it." --David Rockefeller,
MEMOIRS, pg 405, 2003, Random Hse

They are backed by guys like Dave.

ChairmanMao
07-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Hillary worked for Nixon and was a republican

ChairmanMao
07-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Edwards only took mal practice suits where the baby lived through delivery (cash cow)

njandrewg
07-18-2007, 11:22 AM
http://www.oppodepot.com/

all you wanted to know

torchbearer
07-18-2007, 11:22 AM
Fred was a spy for the nixon white house. He lobbied for(took money from) pro-choice groups and then claims to be pro-life.

torchbearer
07-18-2007, 11:24 AM
http://www.oppodepot.com/

all you wanted to know

really good link. also, shows how people see Ron Paul's 9/11 truther link as a negative, not a positive.

PatriotOne
07-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Guiliani and Bernie Kerik

What this article doesn't say is that Rudy was actually aprised of his ties to the mafia during his security investigation and Rudy was warned about them and went ahead with the push to put Bernie in charge of Homeland Security. Of course Rudy now denies that but a security investigator says otherwise:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/12/10/politics/main660485.shtml

PatriotOne
07-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Rudy Giuliani stands by (accused) pedophile
by John Aravosis (DC) · 6/25/2007 02:07:00 PM ET

A headline that no political candidate wants to see. So why doesn't Rudy fix it?

From Salon:

A grand jury accused Alan Placa of molestation and his diocese has suspended him, but the presidential candidate [Giuliani] continues to employ his lifelong best friend as a consultant....

Giuliani employs his childhood friend Monsignor Alan Placa as a consultant at Giuliani Partners despite a 2003 Suffolk County, N.Y., grand jury report that accuses Placa of sexually abusing children, as well as helping cover up the sexual abuse of children by other priests. Placa, who was part of a three-person team that handled allegations of abuse by clergy for the Diocese of Rockville Centre, is referred to as Priest F in the grand jury report. The report summarizes the testimony of multiple alleged victims of Priest F, and then notes, "Ironically, Priest F would later become instrumental in the development of Diocesan policy in response to allegations of sexual abuse of children by priests."

The Suffolk County grand jury report, released eight months after Placa's suspension, includes evidence from three alleged victims. It states that in Priest F's first assignment, "he appears to have made feeble attempts at abusing a boy who was an alter [sic] server. ... He pulled up a chair next to the boy and put his right hand on his thigh. Slowly his hand began to creep up towards the boy's genital area. Alarmed, the boy covered his crotch. … The conduct repeated itself within a week....

"After his first assignment," the report continues, "Priest F was transferred within the Diocese to ... a school. Priest F was cautious, but relentless in his pursuit of victims. He fondled boys over their clothes, usually in his office. Always, his actions were hidden by a poster, newspaper or a book. ... Everyone in the school knew to stay away from Priest F."

The report describes two alleged victims complaining to the school's rector about Priest F, and their "suspicions, later confirmed to be correct," that the priest was abusing a fourth boy. Eventually, one of the alleged victims told Priest F, in an encounter witnessed by another boy, "Don't ever fucking touch me again or I'll kill you."
The latest, Giuliani says he's sticking by his man.
Advocates for victims of abuse by Catholic clergy on Friday urged presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani to fire a priest who was suspended from the church and then hired by the ex-mayor's security consulting business. A spokeswoman for Giuliani said the firm had no plans to fire Monsignor Alan Placa.
I thought voters sent a pretty clear message last election that they don't take kindly to Republicans enabling child molesters.

ChairmanMao
07-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Hillary is a lesbian, oh crap now the bully boys will be after me.

PatriotOne
07-18-2007, 11:29 AM
Giuliani Linked to "NAFTA Superhighway"

http://www.augustreview.com/news_commentary/north_american_union/giuliani_linked_to_%22nafta_superhighway%22_200705 1459/

GOP presidential hopeful Rudy Giuliani has extensive and deep ties to the NAFTA Superhighway and the construction of the Trans-Texas Corridor (TTC). Giuliani's law firm, Bracewell & Giuliani, is the exclusive legal council for Cintra, the Spanish firm chosen to operate the I-35 toll road in the TTC.

By Cliff Kincaid

Evidence shows that NAFTA, the North American Free Trade Agreement involving the U.S., Canada and Mexico, is being expanded without congressional approval or oversight as part of a plan to create an economic and political entity known as the North American Union.

Brit Hume said on the Fox News Sunday program that it is possible that Republican frontrunner Rudy Giuliani could overcome his convoluted posturing on abortion and secure the Republican presidential nomination in 2008. But Giuliani has some other major problems. These include foreign clients, one of whom is constructing part of the "NAFTA Superhighway" project that has people in Texas and around the nation up in arms.

Hume, the moderator of Tuesday night's Republican presidential debate in South Carolina, will be in a position to ask Giuliani about it. Questions will also be posed by Fox News Sunday host Chris Wallace and White House correspondent Wendell Goler.

Evidence shows that NAFTA, the North American Free Trade Agreement involving the U.S., Canada and Mexico, is being expanded without congressional approval or oversight as part of a plan to create an economic and political entity known as the North American Union (NAU). Federal documents uncovered by Judicial Watch quote participants in the scheme as saying that an "evolution by stealth" strategy is being used to put the pieces into place. Documents also speak of developing a common security perimeter and a common identification card for citizens of the three countries.

With the exception of Lou Dobbs of CNN, our national media have ignored not only the process that is well underway but the growing outcry over what is happening. Resolutions against the NAU have been introduced in 14 state legislatures-and have passed in two-and thousands of people have turned out in Texas to protest a Trans-Texas Corridor (TTC) highway system, which will link the U.S., Mexico and Canada. Critics say the project is being funded by foreign interests, could run roughshod over private property rights, and could facilitate illegal activities, such as the trafficking of people and drugs, from Mexico.

The TTC, which is viewed as being part of the "NAFTA Superhighway," is only part of a much larger process of integrating the three nations. This writer attended and covered a February 16, 2007, conference sponsored by the Center for North American Studies at American University (A.U.) that was devoted to an emerging "North American Community," which is what conference organizer Robert Pastor, a former Carter Administration official, prefers to call it. Academic literature distributed to conference participants discussed a common legal framework for the U.S., Canada and Mexico and proposals for a North American Court of Justice (with the authority to overrule a decision of the U.S. Supreme Court), a North American Trade Tribunal, and a Charter of Fundamental Human Rights for North America. One of Pastor's students at AU suggests that he even favors a North American Parliament.

The conference organizers and participants believe NAFTA, which promised economic integration, has to be expanded into the legal, social, political and even cultural areas. Pastor, though a Democrat, succeeded in persuading Texas Republican Senator John Cornyn to introduce a "North American Investment Fund" bill to send more U.S. tax dollars to Mexico. Both political parties are seen favoring the process of bringing the three countries together into an entity like the European Union that now governs Europe and supersedes the Sovereignty of member governments.

One obvious problem is corruption in and illegal immigration from Mexico. Public sentiment in the U.S. forced Congress to pass-and President Bush to sign-a law creating a fence on the U.S. southern border. Nevertheless, Bush and the Democrats continue to press for amnesty for illegal aliens and ways to increase the flow of foreign workers into the U.S.

The Giuliani connection to this controversial process is through Bracewell & Giuliani, a law firm he joined as senior partner in 2005. Bracewell has already come in for criticism because it represents Citgo, the oil company controlled by Venezuela's anti-American and terrorist-supporting ruler Hugo Chavez.

Freelance columnist Dianne M. Grassi broke the story of Giuliani's law firm acting as the exclusive legal counsel for Cintra, the Spanish firm that has been granted the right to operate a toll road in the Trans-Texas Corridor (TTC) project. Grassi comments, "Most interesting to the whole story is not only has Mr. Giuliani's involvement in the NAFTA Superhighway not ever having been publicly addressed, but how a foreign company is awarded the building of a mass highway system, versus maintaining it, for the first time in U.S. history, and negotiated by the law firm of the top Republican candidate running for President of the United States. And truly disturbing is how such will not only have national and homeland security and sovereignty implications but how it is deliberately being kept away from the Halls of Congress."

Grassi's revelations are easily confirmed by checking the websites of Bracewell and Cintra. Bracewell calls the deal "the first Privatization of a Texas toll road."

Terri Hall, founder and director of Texans Uniting for Reform and Freedom (TURF), notes that Giuliani clients with an interest in acquiring Texas roads and infrastructure have also invested in his presidential campaign. She comments, "This could explain why Giuliani has spent so much time fundraising in Texas. The monied proponents of the Trans-Texas Corridor, of which there are many, would like to see this man become President."

Ironically, Ryan Sager of the New York Sun reports that Giuliani, before he became a private businessman with global clients, opposed NAFTA.

It turns out that Cintra is a financial partner with an Australian company, Macquarie, on a toll-road project in Indiana, and that Macquarie acquired the business and assets of an investment bank known as Giuliani Capital Advisors.

Sunday's Washington Post notes that Giuliani Capital Advisors "was sold for an undisclosed amount as Giuliani was preparing his run for president."

The Post article also discloses that Giuliani's secretive lobbying firm, Giuliani Partners, has made more than $100 million over the last five years and that its clients "are required to sign confidentiality agreements, so they do not comment about the work they receive or how much they are paying for it. Though now running for president, Giuliani refuses to identify his clients, disclose his compensation or reveal any details about Giuliani Partners. He also declined to be interviewed about the firm." The paper provided some details, based "on a review of corporate, government and court records, along with scores of interviews with clients and government officials who have interacted with Giuliani Partners."

Many questions remain about Giuliani's controversial work for foreign interests. But his connection to the Trans-Texas Corridor is already a matter of public record and cries out for scrutiny. Will Fox News personalities ask him about it on Tuesday night?

PatriotOne
07-18-2007, 11:32 AM
Oh heck. This guy covers them all. He's on a personal mission to expose Rudy for the scum he is. He's rather a, ummmm, colorful character, but seems to know ALOT about Mr. 9/11.

Watch some of this guys Rudy video's!

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=TouchingYou&p=r&page=1

PatriotOne
07-18-2007, 11:33 AM
We seriously need to put some rap sheets together for some of these candidates and make comprehensive video's to spread virally.

Hook
07-18-2007, 11:39 AM
Everyone already knows they don't like the current crop of top tier candidates, we certainly don't need to waste time preaching to the choir. I think it is going to take all of our time and energy to promote Dr. Paul's positive message to the masses, and any mud slinging is just going to take away resources we don't have. Plus it makes the Paul campaign look just as slimy as all the others.
Just my $0.02

torchbearer
07-18-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm not advocating a mud slinging campaign, but i did learn a couple of things i didnt know from this thread, and to that end.. it has some purpose to divuldge the information here for our membership.

robatsu
07-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Hillary has had several credible accusations (which she of course denies) supported by witnesses of anti semitic remarks.

Here is one:http://transcripts.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/stories/07/17/hillary.book/index.html

robatsu
07-18-2007, 12:38 PM
A large portion of Obama's book is very negatively racist, perpetuating stereotypes about white people and generally how awful all of them are to minorities. Sort of ironic, given his mother is white, but people are complex beings.

conner_condor
07-18-2007, 09:13 PM
In San Diego, poor people who want public benefits must give up their privacy. Investigators from the district attorney's office there make unannounced visits to the homes of people applying for welfare, poking around in garbage cans, medicine chests and laundry baskets.

Applicants are not required to let the investigators in. But they get no money if they refuse.

The San Diego program is the most aggressive one in California and perhaps in the nation, but the recent decisions have probably given governments around the country all kinds of ideas. An earlier home-visit program, instituted in New York in 1995 by Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani, was largely dismantled as part of the settlement of a lawsuit in 1997.

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/071607I.shtml

That is scary that he is running for president...

jcbraithwaite7
07-18-2007, 09:49 PM
This guy rambles a bit but here are two Guliani scandals:

ConEd power plant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsjtEH0daKg

banner scandal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXOb_NTSfR4

nayjevin
07-18-2007, 10:10 PM
will everybody add links here or go back and edit previous posts to include links?

This thread could spawn many flyers, videos, or letters to editors emails etc etc etc.

thanks.

V-rod
07-19-2007, 08:41 PM
Fred Thompson really died back in 1992, and has since been rotting away and feasting on the brains of the living.

quickmike
07-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Rudy was responsible for the deaths of 121 firemen and for making a profit off their deaths... check out this website and view the youtube:
http://www.rudy-urbanlegend.com/

Yeah, id say that one takes first prize. I was gonna say I heard his breath was "stinky" but after yours, hell whats the point?

Roxi
07-19-2007, 08:59 PM
Fred Thompson really died back in 1992, and has since been rotting away and feasting on the brains of the living.

i believe this one but could you post a source i dont think CNN is going to believe me when i email them this one :p

JosephTheLibertarian
07-19-2007, 09:02 PM
http://www.suprmchaos.com/295.jpg

jd603
07-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Hillary was a slut in College... My family knew a wealthy eye surgeon from connecticut and at a dinner party some of the people she went to college with told stories of lesbianism and more. :D

Keep this on the DL *wink*

surf
07-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Rudy's son (remember the fat kid at the Yankees games and his "swearing in") doesn't like him - or so the story was a few months back

FSP-Rebel
07-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Hillary was a slut in College... My family knew a wealthy eye surgeon from connecticut and at a dinner party some of the people she went to college with told stories of lesbianism and more. :D

Keep this on the DL *wink*
Yeah, I've heard plenty of Hillary's lesboism. She must have really held her nose when being f-cked by Bill. Although, most people agree that their marriage is just for business-sakes. Plus, if she knew Rockefeller guarranteed Bill the presidency back in college, she probably just sucked it up for the very reason we see her on tv every day now.

dseisner
07-20-2007, 04:00 PM
This is more proof that Ghouliani is a fear-mongering, evil criminal. I was speaking with my sister yesterday about RP and Rudy and I believe one of the reasons people reject 9/11 truth is because the THOUGHT that Rudy Guiliani, the mayor of NY, conspired in the attacks (basically committing murder) and now uses it for political gain is so horrible, it's beyond the comprehension of good people. Guiliani is worse than a terrorist, who at least has the stones to say what he believes in and not falsify his actions.

Razmear
07-20-2007, 04:18 PM
A few weeks back I bought the domain name: DontVote4.us
Once things wind down here in SC I might be taking a lot of this stuff and posting it up there.
Keep up the good work!!!
eb

akalucas
07-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Duncan Hunter is in bed with defense contractors big time.

LINK (http://rawstory.com/news/2005/Congressman_tied_to_contractors_bribery_coconspira tors_1214.html)

A quote in the last paragraph says it all “It’s suspect that he is so aggressive that we stay in Iraq because of the profits that he’s getting in contributions from defense contractors,”

Roxi
07-20-2007, 04:45 PM
Duncan Hunter is in bed with defense contractors big time.

LINK (http://rawstory.com/news/2005/Congressman_tied_to_contractors_bribery_coconspira tors_1214.html)

A quote in the last paragraph says it all “It’s suspect that he is so aggressive that we stay in Iraq because of the profits that he’s getting in contributions from defense contractors,”

nice thats perfect

A few weeks back I bought the domain name: DontVote4.us
Once things wind down here in SC I might be taking a lot of this stuff and posting it up there.
Keep up the good work!!!
eb

That might be the coolest thing ive ever heard, its hard to come up with something other than "shes a lesbian" when you have to tell people something credible and negative when they say "Im voting for hilary"
(i dont really say this but it was a fun example :D)

but i put in all my free time for ron paul and dont keep up with the other candidates much

so this site would be an AWESOME place to send them
please do put the true stuff in there and maybe have a rumors section with comments or something

PatriotOne
07-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Just moving this one over to the hall of shame :p

Romney aide’s bogus badges: Sources detail ‘illegal’ security tactic
By Casey Ross/ Exclusive
Boston Herald Reporter

http://news.bostonherald.com/politics/view.bg?articleid=1012402&format=&page=1

Friday, July 20, 2007 - Updated: 12:21 PM EST

In an apparent violation of the law, a controversial aide to ex-Gov. Mitt Romney created phony law enforcement badges that he and other staffers used on the campaign trail to strong-arm reporters, avoid paying tolls and trick security guards into giving them immediate access to campaign venues, sources told the Herald.

The bogus badges were part of the bizarre security tactics allegedly employed by Jay Garrity, the director of operations for Romney who is under investigation for impersonating a law enforcement officer in two states. Garrity is on a leave of absence from the campaign while the probe is ongoing.

A campaign source said Garrity directed underlings on Romney’s presidential staff to use the badges at events nationwide to create an image of security and to ensure that the governor’s events went smoothly.

“They (the aides) knew the badges were fake and probably illegal,” said a presidential campaign source who asked for anonymity because the story could damage the individual’s career. “But they went along with it because Jay (Garrity) pushed it on them.”

A spokesman for Romney issued an e-mailed statement. “No one on the Mitt Romney for President campaign is authorized to use a badge, nor has the campaign provided anyone with a badge,” the statement reads. “Jay Garrity is not working on the campaign because he continues to be on a leave of absence.”

Two additional sources confirmed that the badges - described as bright silver plates with a state seal attached - were first created and used by Garrity while Romney was still governor. Under state law, it is illegal to use a badge without authority, an offense that carries a fine of not more than $50.

A spokeswoman for Garrity referred all questions to the Romney campaign.

The campaign source said the badges were used extensively by Garrity and staffers on Romney’s advance team, which is responsible for coordinating events for his presidential campaign.

Sometimes, the source said, a staffer would use a badge for crowd control to restrict access to Romney. Other times, they were flashed to gain quick access to emergency exits and back hallways at campaign venues. In at least one instance, a staffer used a badge to go through a Massachusetts Turnpike toll booth without paying, the source said.

In addition to Garrity, other aides who used the badges included advance staffers Mark Glanville and William Ritter, the source said.

Garrity remains under investigation by the Suffolk District Attorney’s Office for allegedly impersonating a law enforcement officer in a May 13 phone call to a Wilmington plumbing company. During the phone call, Garrity allegedly referred to himself as “Trooper Garrity” and told the plumbing company its driver was operating erratically. A spokesman for Suffolk District Attorney Daniel Conley said the investigation remains “open and active.” Garrity’s attorney has denied that he made the phone call

Garrity is also under investigation in New Hampshire for a separate incident in which he allegedly told a New York Times [NYT] reporter to stop following Romney’s motorcade. He also allegedly told the reporter his license plates had been run. Garrity has denied through his lawyer that he checked the reporter’s license plates.

LibertyEagle
07-20-2007, 05:05 PM
Conservatives, Beware of Fred Thompson

In this article by Richard A. Viguerie, you will learn:

√ How Fred Thompson disappointed conservatives during his 8 years in the Senate.

√ The only time he played a major role on a major piece of legislation—and he was on the liberal side.

√ Why he fails the Goldwater Test, getting an “F.”

√ Why he fails the Reagan Test, getting an “F.”

√ How he runs around with the wrong crowd—the Marshmallow Republicans.

√ Why one of Washington’s key media liberals is maneuvering for Fred Thompson.

√ What his “wrong” votes on these 18 important issues tell us about his commitment to conservatism.

√ Why everyone is so confused by his stance on abortion: Is he pro-life, pro-choice, or both? And,

√ Why he is not the conservative leader we need.

Go here to read the rest:
http://www.conservativesbetrayed.com...SCategoryID=19

wolv275
07-20-2007, 05:27 PM
I wonder if this coming movie could hurt Mitt's run "September Dawn"

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/septemberdawn/trailer/

Roxi
07-20-2007, 06:02 PM
I wonder if this coming movie could hurt Mitt's run "September Dawn"

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/septemberdawn/trailer/

UH WOW

CAKochenash
07-20-2007, 06:21 PM
i can't wait to see that movie...

PatriotOne
07-21-2007, 09:14 PM
Barrack Obama Exposed

http://files.meetup.com/518705/Barak%20Obama%20Exposed.pdf

JosephTheLibertarian
07-21-2007, 09:19 PM
How about we compile a list of dirty stuff on all of our opponents, then submit it to local media all over the country?

PatriotOne
07-21-2007, 09:37 PM
Rudy and Romney: Artful dodgers

http://www.salon.com/opinion/conason/2007/07/20/rudy_and_romney/

When the most belligerent Republicans start to beat the war drums, it's important to look at what they're trying to hide.

By Joe Conason

REUTERS

Left: Rudy Giuliani talks to students during a campaign stop in Henniker, N.H., on April 24, 2007. Right: Mitt Romney addresses supporters in Indianola, Iowa, on June 30, 2007.

July 20, 2007 | Nothing unites the Republican candidates for president or excites the conservative base more than their bellicose barking about war and confrontation. The GOP presidential debates often sound like a tough-man competition, with Rudolph Giuliani denouncing the "cut-and-run" Democrats, Mitt Romney demanding a double-size Guantánamo detention camp, and the rest of the pack struggling to keep pace with the snarling alpha dogs.

Yet while their rhetoric is invariably loud and aggressive, none of these martial orators has seen a day of military service -- except for John McCain, whose prospects are rapidly deflating, and Duncan Hunter, whose campaign never got enough air for a single balloon. Unfortunately for those two decorated veterans, their party seems to prefer its hawks to be of the chicken variety.

None of this may matter much. Most of the Democratic candidates lack military experience, too. But when the most belligerent Republicans start to beat the war drums, it's important to look at what they're trying to hide.

Consider Giuliani, the former New York mayor who has remained among the most vocal supporters of the invasion and occupation of Iraq. He never hesitates to suggest that politicians with differing opinions simply lack guts. When he spoke at the 2004 Republican convention, he gleefully insinuated that Democratic nominee John Kerry lacked the fortitude to combat terrorism. Now he denigrates the supposedly spineless Democrats running for president in 2008.

But he has always confined his enthusiasm for war to podium speeches and position papers. Born in 1944, young Rudy was highly eligible for military service when he reached his 20s during the Vietnam War. He did not volunteer for combat -- as Kerry did -- and instead found a highly creative way to dodge the draft.

During his years as an undergraduate at Manhattan College and then at New York University Law School, Giuliani qualified for a student deferment. Upon graduation from law school in 1968, he lost that temporary deferment and his draft status reverted to 1-A, the designation awarded to those most qualified for induction into the Army.

At the same time, Giuliani won a clerkship with federal Judge Lloyd McMahon in the fabled Southern District of New York, where he would become the United States attorney. He naturally had no desire to trade his ticket on the legal profession's fast track for latrine duty in the jungle. So he quickly applied for another deferment based on his judicial clerkship. This time the Selective Service System denied his claim.

That was when the desperate Giuliani prevailed upon his boss to write to the draft board, asking them to grant him a fresh deferment and reclassification as an "essential" civilian employee. As the great tabloid columnist Jimmy Breslin noted 20 years later, during the former prosecutor's first campaign for mayor: "Giuliani did not attend the war in Vietnam because federal Judge Lloyd MacMahon [sic] wrote a letter to the draft board in 1969 and got him out. Giuliani was a law clerk for MacMahon, who at the time was hearing Selective Service cases. MacMahon's letter to Giuliani's draft board stated that Giuliani was so necessary as a law clerk that he could not be allowed to get shot at in Vietnam."

His clerkship ended the following year but his luck held firm. By then President Nixon had transformed the Selective Service into a lottery system, and despite Rudy's renewed 1-A status, he drew a high lottery number and was never drafted.

Today Giuliani's problem is not avoiding military service but explaining how and why he avoided it. A spokesperson for the candidate recently told New York magazine that he "has made it clear that if he had been called up, he would have served," which doesn't quite expiate his strenuous efforts to make sure that never happened. Giuliani opposed the Vietnam War for "strategic and tactical" reasons as well, according to his flack. Of course, that sounds much like the bipartisan dissent against the Iraq war that he now dismisses so contemptuously.

If Giuliani has a draft problem, Romney's may be even worse. The former Massachusetts governor, whose supporters object strenuously to any discussion of his religious beliefs, got his military service deferred thanks to the Mormon church.

Like Giuliani and millions of other young American men at the time, Romney started out with student deferments. But he left Stanford after only two semesters in 1966 and would have become eligible for the draft -- except that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in Michigan, his home state, provided him with a fresh deferment as a missionary. According to an excellent investigative series that appeared last month in the Boston Globe, that deferment, which described Romney as a "minister of religion or divinity student," protected him from the draft between July 1966 and February 1969, when he enrolled in Brigham Young University to complete his undergraduate degree. Mormons in each state could select a limited number of young men upon whom to confer missionary status during the Vietnam years, and Romney was fortunate enough to be chosen. (Coincidentally, or possibly not, Mitt's father, George W. Romney, was governor of Michigan at the time.)

Now Romney echoes Giuliani by asserting that if he had been called, he would have served. "I was supportive of my country," he told Globe reporter Michael Kranish. "I longed in many respects to actually be in Vietnam and be representing our country there and in some ways it was frustrating not to feel like I was there as part of the troops that were fighting in Vietnam." Perhaps. But it is hard to blame Romney for choosing missionary work over military service. After all, the Mormons didn't send him to proselytize in the slums of the Philippines, Guatemala or Kenya.

They sent him to France.

quickmike
07-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Rudy and Romney: Artful dodgers

http://www.salon.com/opinion/conason/2007/07/20/rudy_and_romney/

Now Romney echoes Giuliani by asserting that if he had been called, he would have served. "I was supportive of my country," he told Globe reporter Michael Kranish. "I longed in many respects to actually be in Vietnam and be representing our country there and in some ways it was frustrating not to feel like I was there as part of the troops that were fighting in Vietnam." Perhaps. But it is hard to blame Romney for choosing missionary work over military service. After all, the Mormons didn't send him to proselytize in the slums of the Philippines, Guatemala or Kenya.

They sent him to France.

Hey, France was a scary and dangerous place back in the late 60's early 70's. ;)

PatriotOne
07-21-2007, 09:47 PM
How about we compile a list of dirty stuff on all of our opponents, then submit it to local media all over the country?

At the very least, I think a "Rap Sheet" video for each candidate (at least Rudy, Hillary, Obama, Mitt) listing all their hypocracy, serious failings and outright crimes should be made and posted on YouTube. I don't see it as a smear campaign so much as informing the uninformed of who these people REALLY are. Smear campaigns usually are distortions and there's enough true crimes, distortions won't even be neccesary ;). The stuff posted here doesn't even begin to list everything. Rudy's video alone could be hours long listing his corruption.

LibertyEagle
07-22-2007, 07:48 PM
This site provides an overview of each candidate.

http://www.chuckbaldwinlive.com/election2008.php

Note: Chuck Baldwin is very much an advocate of Ron Paul.

Cindy
07-22-2007, 07:54 PM
http://news.bostonherald.com/politics/view.bg?articleid=1012402

Don't for get to add Romneys latest -campaign aides posing as law Enforcment.