PDA

View Full Version : 1/3 Fla Pop In Dade, Broward, Pb Counties

expatinireland
01-05-2008, 06:03 PM
It is nice that the Blimp made it to Florida and nice that it can pass over Alachua (Gainesville & UF) County with all of its circa 225,000 population on your way to SC, but I just don't understand why you ignored the largest population concentration in the State of Florida on the Southeast coast.

The combined population of Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties is over 5 million or almost 1/3 the population of the state!

The Blimp has already made 2 forays into South Carolina and it only elects 2/5 the number of delegates of Florida.

Why brave bad weather that might ground the blimp when you can easily expose many more potential voters in SE Florida? :confused:

Ilhaguru
01-05-2008, 08:50 PM
I agree. It doesn't look so good for the 9th, 10th and 11th in South Carolina. Florida is an extremely important state and very wealthy, a key to reaching $23 mil this quarter. We can spend a couple more days around the Miami-Fort Lauderdale area then go north (weather looks much better then). It's an enormously populated area and pretty densely too.

PS: I'd like to know the reasoning of the Blimp Team though.

Tarzan
01-05-2008, 11:36 PM
It is nice that the Blimp made it to Florida and nice that it can pass over Alachua (Gainesville & UF) County with all of its circa 225,000 population on your way to SC, but I just don't understand why you ignored the largest population concentration in the State of Florida on the Southeast coast.

The combined population of Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties is over 5 million or almost 1/3 the population of the state!
The Blimp has already made 2 forays into South Carolina and it only elects 2/5 the number of delegates of Florida.
Why brave bad weather that might ground the blimp when you can easily expose many more potential voters in SE Florida? :confused:

There are a large number of variables that go into creating the flight path and itinerary. Some of the considerations are time, distance, weather, winds, population centers, demographics of Republican voters, dates of primaries, sequence of primaries, potential results of exposure in primary areas, media exposure, flight crew down time, airship maintenance, maximizing exposure re. cloud conditions, total flight hours in the contract with ASM, ground events, grassroots participation, airspace considerations... and probably a few others I can't recall right now.

Since we had a rough start keeping the Blimp flying we have focused on the best venues to optimize our chances for achieving the best exposure of the Ron Paul Blimp Tour Message. South Florida is an excellent target. But, in considering all the variables it was decided to forego the trip to the Miami area, and even along the eastern coast of Florida, largely because of expected weather conditions and wind (which did occur) and keep the Blimp in an area in which we could continue flying. The Tampa Bay area has a very large Republican demographic and no Republican president has won the national election without winning this area in Florida. While we have been in South Carolina on two occasions we were only able to fly for one day. The second time was a high speed pass (if you can call anything in a Blimp high speed) at low altitude along the coast to reach Florida for events planned in Jacksonville. Therefore, South Carolina has not been over exposed... particularly the heavily Republican demographic in the north of the state around Greenville. There are also two potential opportunities in South Carolina I cannot disclose.

Because of the earlier date of the South Carolina primary it was decided to put our best effort into having an effect on that primary. If we have positive results in that election it could easily raise Ron Paul's media profile and affect the voters and polls in Florida (and other states). Due to the tendency of American voters to try to pick a winner rather than voting on the best person for the job, a swing in the polls could greatly affect the results in other states.

The current flight path and itinerary is designed to have as much of an effect as early as possible to swing the trend of the elections in the favor of Ron Paul. Once voting has ended in South Carolina is has been decided to make our best effort with the Blimp in Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee and Arkansas prior to voting on February 5th, Super Tuesday.

Elections in Ireland are quite different from those in the US and, for all its failings; we essentially have a two party system. We are attempting to use what history has taught us about our system, and the tendencies of American voters to play "follow the leader", to influence the election in Ron Paul's favor.

We hope to start a "snowball affect" with success in South Carolina and do not think we can wait, in hopes of affecting the later election in Florida, to "get the ball rolling". We need to get something started now. Plus, all the additional issues noted in the first paragraph. We think it is critical to make a difference as early as possible and for those reasons we will be making our best efforts in South Carolina.

http://ronpaulideas.com/images/signatureblimp.png (http://RonPaulBlimp.com/)

Blimp Media Coordinator
01-06-2008, 01:00 AM
Well said Charles, needless to say it is a complex issue

expatinireland
01-06-2008, 06:53 AM
Tarzan,

Thanks for that. I now take comfort that all variables are being taken into careful consideration by the blimp operation.

You have lucidly written many times with authority about the blimp, often in the first person, which makes me wonder about your relationship with the blimp organisation. Are you a member of the team or just working or helping as an advisor or mentor? I ask this just so that I and others will know within what framework to place your communications.

Elections in Ireland are quite different from those in the US and, for all its failings; we essentially have a two party system. We are attempting to use what history has taught us about our system, and the tendencies of American voters to play "follow the leader", to influence the election in Ron Paul's favor.

Although in Ireland, I am actually an American with my academic background in politics so I am much more familiar with the workings of the US political system than the Irish.

I know exactly what you are saying about the follow the winner syndrome.

Myself, I have always been led by principal and turned off by the corrupting influence of big money in the American system so I could never align myself with one of the parties. I have been an independent shifting my support to whomever I believe offered the best platform sometimes registering in a party so I could support a candidate. Worked as a coordinator for McGovern when I was in College, which dates me, and also worked on the Perot campaign until he self destructed.

Wish I was stateside to help out coordinating canvassing as I have more time than money. I believe that the blimp is playing an important part but if canvassing isn't being done comprehensively and properly in the next few states before super Tuesday our candidate won't have a chance.

It's tough sitting here as a political voyeur. :(

All the best to all on the blimp team.

Ilhaguru
01-06-2008, 11:52 AM
To South Carolina we go!

Thanks for the thorough explanation, Tarzan!

Tarzan
01-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Tarzan,

Thanks for that. I now take comfort that all variables are being taken into careful consideration by the blimp operation.

You have lucidly written many times with authority about the blimp, often in the first person, which makes me wonder about your relationship with the blimp organisation. Are you a member of the team or just working or helping as an advisor or mentor? I ask this just so that I and others will know within what framework to place your communications.

Thanks expat!

I am working with the Blimp Team but my position is a little difficult to explain. I am a volunteer in that I will not be accepting any pay for the work. I did the final graphics for the Blimp... note that the Revolution design was from another supporter and I apologize for not knowing his name. I am also working on the flight paths and would have to be considered an advisor in that regard. Flight paths can change (sometimes quickly) because of a variety of issues. So, I am not the final word on the flight paths or itinerary.

I try to help where I can and make suggestions as appropriate... but my role is difficult to define in normal corporate terms.

http://ronpaulideas.com/images/signatureblimp.png (http://RonPaulBlimp.com/)

Cleaner44
01-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Watch FL, this is a state FULL of coruption.