PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Convincing Obama supporters to become Ron Paul supporters

dt_
01-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of writing an open letter of sorts to some of my colleagues who are unfortunately Obama supporters. Many of them agree that Ron Paul is the best Republican but they still prefer Obama.

One of my friends who supported Obama didn't know that he voted in favor of reauthorizing the Patriot Act, for instance. He was startled, but his support for Obama hasn't been shaken. :(

Can we get some ideas and arguments out there in this thread that will help convince Obama supporters to consider Ron Paul?

Hopefully we can use the ideas expressed here to help win over independent voters in NH in the few days we have left.

Thanks in advance!

dt_

cswake
01-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Point him to "objective" sources that question Obama's credentials:

Either Naive or Lying:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=132&topic_id=3958241&mesg_id=3958241
Is it 2013 or 16 months:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x3960065
Obama has some questionable top advisors:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=389&topic_id=2584691&mesg_id=2584691

BlCkDeAtH
01-05-2008, 05:27 PM
I find the easiest way to convince people is to agree with a lot of what they say. Specifacally for Obama supporters: Most of them like Obama because he "represents" change in Washington. Agree with them on that, be like yea I used to really like Obama, I even read some of his book, Audacity of Hope. And I agree with him on how things are screwed up in Washington.

BUT then he got elected to Washington and I started keeping track of the votes he was making, who was giving him the most money, and then I found this;

8. Senator Barack Obama (D-IL): A “Dishonorable Mention” last year, Senator Obama moves onto the “ten most wanted” list in 2007. In 2006, it was discovered that Obama was involved in a suspicious real estate deal with an indicted political fundraiser, Antoin “Tony” Rezko. In 2007, more reports surfaced of deeper and suspicious business and political connections It was reported that just two months after he joined the Senate, Obama purchased $50,000 worth of stock in speculative companies whose major investors were his biggest campaign contributors. One of the companies was a biotech concern that benefited from legislation Obama pushed just two weeks after the senator purchased $5,000 of the company’s shares. Obama was also nabbed conducting campaign business in his Senate office, a violation of federal law.
http://www.judicialwatch.org/judicial-watch-announces-list-washington-s-ten-most-wanted-corrupt-politicians-2007

And then I realized that he's really not changing anything in Washington.

Look at Dr. Ron Paul for example, he stood up to the GOP in 1996 and fought to get his seat in Congress again both Bushes, Tom Delay, and the whole establishment. He's never taken any bribes, lobbyists don't even come to his office!! Paul has the history to back up what he stands for, Obama's just contradicts what he talks about.

phixion
01-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Voting for a black man makes many Americans feel super-awesome about themselves.

This is an inescapable fact and it's going to be tough converting Obama supporters.

Try inform them of the economy and fear-monger them until they're convinced their life savings and wealth is at risk. Unfortunately, money motivates. Fear of losing wealth is powerful. Obama has no understanding of the economy nor how to go about fixing it.

Inform them on this issue and they may realize Obama is what he is, a feel-good candidate with no real understanding or solutions to any of the problems facing America.

Skin color isn't indicative of 'CHANGE' in Washington yet the association is powerful and the masses are falling for it hook, line and sinker.

His supporters don't care about America, only how voting for Obama makes them feel about themselves.

Keep that in mind when you make your pitch to them. They need to feel even better about themselves supporting Ron Paul so give them reason to. There's plenty.

Regards,

Pete

european
01-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Dont know what you people think, but keeping all options open sounds kinda nutty to me. Do people actually grasp what is said with that? Obama doesn't rule out a pre-emptive nucleair strike on Iran. I mean... common... thats 100% crazy! I really wonder if people realize what is being said with those words. What it means.

Naraku
01-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Tell the ones in Michigan he's not on the ballot there and that they should go for Paul as a protest to the DNC and RNC!

dircha
01-05-2008, 05:33 PM
In 2004 Obama stated that the U.S. should consider using preemptive military strikes against Iran and Pakistan.

He has refused to rule out a preemptive nuclear strike.

And he has refused to commit to having all troops out of Iraq by 2013.

Obama talks about a "new kind of politics". But when you look at how he has conducted himself in office and in this campaign, and when you look at his policy positions, it is clear that his new kind of politics is the same as the old kind of politics. It is the same old tired liberal drivel.

RonPaulwillWin
I needed a thread like this....please keep the comments coming .

sasha_2008
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=76696
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=76237
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=76347

rfbz
01-05-2008, 05:38 PM
everyone wants change, that's a given. But do you want change in the form of the government being more involved in your life? Or would you like change by reducing the size of government and protecting our liberties.

Joe3113
01-05-2008, 05:39 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=74603

grfgerger
01-05-2008, 05:40 PM
I find the easiest way to convince people is to agree with a lot of what they say. Specifacally for Obama supporters: Most of them like Obama because he "represents" change in Washington. Agree with them on that, be like yea I used to really like Obama, I even read some of his book, Audacity of Hope. And I agree with him on how things are screwed up in Washington.

BUT then he got elected to Washington and I started keeping track of the votes he was making, who was giving him the most money, and then I found this;

http://www.judicialwatch.org/judicial-watch-announces-list-washington-s-ten-most-wanted-corrupt-politicians-2007

And then I realized that he's really not changing anything in Washington.

Look at Dr. Ron Paul for example, he stood up to the GOP in 1996 and fought to get his seat in Congress again both Bushes, Tom Delay, and the whole establishment. He's never taken any bribes, lobbyists don't even come to his office!! Paul has the history to back up what he stands for, Obama's just contradicts what he talks about.

great advice

Heather in WI
01-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Obama voted against requiring medical care for aborted babies who survive the abortion. Now that's just evil.

constitutional
01-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Voting for a black man makes many Americans feel super-awesome about themselves.

This is an inescapable fact and it's going to be tough converting Obama supporters.

Try inform them of the economy and fear-monger them until they're convinced their life savings and wealth is at risk. Unfortunately, money motivates. Fear of losing wealth is powerful. Obama has no understanding of the economy nor how to go about fixing it.

Inform them on this issue and they may realize Obama is what he is, a feel-good candidate with no real understanding or solutions to any of the problems facing America.

Skin color isn't indicative of 'CHANGE' in Washington yet the association is powerful and the masses are falling for it hook, line and sinker.

His supporters don't care about America, only how voting for Obama makes them feel about themselves.

Keep that in mind when you make your pitch to them. They need to feel even better about themselves supporting Ron Paul so give them reason to. There's plenty.

Regards,

Pete

Well put. I hate to say this but I have to agree on what you just said.

Anyone see how people are loving Obama on digg? Kinda scary.

SleepingNative
01-05-2008, 05:50 PM
You may want to tell them about the Obama LA organizer who switched over to Ron Paul's camp for himself, and give them this website address while you're at it:

http://www.obamala.com/

Most lefties also hold a strong soft spot for the environment.

We just launched (yesterday) a grassroots project for Dr. Paul which is specifically designed to convert enormous numbers from the otherwise heavily guarded territory of the "still-wistful-for-Gore" Left (of which I used to count myself as one). There are a lot of talking points, after the spiel about the project itself, which folks can use in their own efforts as well; particularly in regards to overcoming the objections many people on the left still have in regards to Dr. Paul's stance on the environment.

If folks think those talking points will prove useful for themselves, we're asking them to consider helping us make the same message to the entire country, but there's a little reading to do, so I want to encourage folks to just enjoy the thoughts expressed regardless! =)

It's a totally new kind of hybrid media-driven event, for which we've partnered with numerous talents, including Adam Franklin (aka frankdogg), James Gucciardo, and even Depeche Mode has granted us the free use of an incredibly spine-tingling track for our music (valued at $30,000.00 per airing!)!

Thanks to our additional partnership with Yahoo!, via the Give2Network, folks don't even have to spend a dime to actually help us make this project a reality either; thanks to a snazzy little charity searchbar they gave us (if they can't otherwise spare the ten bucks we're actually asking for to make it all happen.).

Please check us out at http://sleepingnatives.org. There's a little reading involved, but not much. If you read the entire site you'll understand how stupendously effective this project could really be for Dr. Paul's campaign. We feel people are forgetting about the gigantic pool of Ron Paul sympathizers from the left who voted for Gore in 2000, but who don't yet understand how Dr. Paul's stance could actually help the environment better than even Gore's! Just imagine the flood of support that would ensue if they got that message loud and clear!

Please help us and spread the word if you like what you see! =)

Yours in Peace,
Philip de Souza
philip@sleepingnatives.org

Bruehound
01-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Barrack Obama voted to re-authorize the USA Patriot Act. Do you believe in wiretapping too?

dt_
01-05-2008, 11:22 PM

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
01-05-2008, 11:40 PM
good post from the other day:

Look at the record:

- Obama voted for funding the var
- Obama voted for supporting the Patriot act
- Obama doesn't offer any change

Ron Paul's record:
- Voted against the war
- Voted against the patriot act