PDA

View Full Version : I just canvassed in Phoenix for my first time!!!

rodmannn
01-05-2008, 02:39 PM
First of all I can't believe I did it. This is not who I am. But Iowa pissed me off so much that I just couldn't take it anymore. I have been emailing to family and friends but this was a new step for me. I don't even plan to join any meet-up or be a Precinct Captain, but I do plan on becoming a Committeeman(I know its to late for this cycle, but we are trying to change the Republican Party). Anyways, on to the results of my canvassing. I went with my 10 month old son who was carried face first in a "Baby Bjorn". I think this helped a lot because he is mighty cute. So here is the results:

Houses - Results
1 - Ron Paul Fan - Was the first house I went to, my very next door neighbor!
5 - Very Receptive to Ron Paul. Heard of him. Of those 2 needed to reg rep.
2 - Democrat Houses - Told them they could still switch.
1 - Not a fan of Ron Paul - but she was extremely impressed I was canvassing.
3 - Took flier, but just my impression(nothing said) didn't like him.
11 - Took flier and said will think about it.
21 - no one home or "No Soliciting" sign.

Anyways, from my observation this works better than anything, even though I still am a nervous from the whole thing. Don't think it will get any easier for me. But, I will do it again. I really think the my baby helped out a lot though.

So right now in my neighborhood, I think I can get 5 people to go to the Primary with me on Feb 5th.

We need to keep fighting in each and every state no matter what the results from each state. To me this is the most important thing I will EVER do in my lifetime. Its for my kids and your kids too.

Take care all and God Bless.

ItsTime
01-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Thank you for your hard work! Its easier than it looks huh?

WATCH IT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDGVpR2OLO4

knappz
01-05-2008, 02:42 PM
This is how we will win!

Your rock!

Cleaner44
01-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Great job!

hummtide
My advice.. DONT KNOCK! Especially on weekends, people want to be left alone. I just push the slimjim or tri-fold between the doorjam and door, and leave. You'll cover 5 times the homes in the same time.

rodmannn
It wasn't to bad, but I had butterflies in my stomach the whole time. I shouldn't though, I am an Engineering Group Leader(Chemical Engineer myself), with 9 engineers reporting to me. So one would think this would be easier than keeping 9 engineers happy. Don't know if the butterflies are adrenalin or what, but I still have them while my boy sleeps.

Sey.Naci
01-05-2008, 02:44 PM
rodmannn, thank you! It does get easier over time.

AdamT
01-05-2008, 02:45 PM
Thank you!

rodmannn
01-05-2008, 02:45 PM
My advice.. DONT KNOCK! Especially on weekends, people want to be left alone. I just push the slimjim or tri-fold between the doorjam and door, and leave. You'll cover 5 times the homes in the same time.

I didn't seem to have much of a problem with this. I didn't knock on doors that had "no solicitor" signs, but all the other people I talked to were very happy to talk to me. Like I said, the baby helps alot.

stefans
01-05-2008, 02:46 PM
So one would think this would be easier than keeping 9 engineers happy.

lol

Mr. White
01-05-2008, 02:47 PM
It wasn't to bad, but I had butterflies in my stomach the whole time. I shouldn't though, I am an Engineering Group Leader(Chemical Engineer myself), with 9 engineers reporting to me. So one would think this would be easier than keeping 9 engineers happy. Don't know if the butterflies are adrenalin or what, but I still have them while my boy sleeps.

The butterflies come from the fact that it's you, alone, no youtube vids, no speeches, just you, talking to a perfect stranger on their turf not knowing whether they'll come to the door with a gun or a smile.

hopeforamerica
01-05-2008, 02:49 PM
First of all I can't believe I did it. This is not who I am. But Iowa pissed me off so much that I just couldn't take it anymore. I have been emailing to family and friends but this was a new step for me. I don't even plan to join any meet-up or be a Precinct Captain, but I do plan on becoming a Committeeman(I know its to late for this cycle, but we are trying to change the Republican Party). Anyways, on to the results of my canvassing. I went with my 10 month old son who was carried face first in a "Baby Bjorn". I think this helped a lot because he is mighty cute. So here is the results:

Houses - Results

Anyways, from my observation this works better than anything, even though I still am a nervous from the whole thing. Don't think it will get any easier for me. But, I will do it again. I really think the my baby helped out a lot though.

So right now in my neighborhood, I think I can get 5 people to go to the Primary with me on Feb 5th.

We need to keep fighting in each and every state no matter what the results from each state. To me this is the most important thing I will EVER do in my lifetime. Its for my kids and your kids too.

What neighborhood? My fear is that we are not coordinating enough with all the lists that are going out! I'm so happy you did this, however I don't want us going to the same houses! Are you in the Phoenix meetup group? If not, please join! We are going to try and keep track of areas that have already been hit. In this city of millions, it would be a shame to hit the same place 2x's!

Great work!!!
Kelly

bluemarkets
01-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Thank you! :D

You're an inspiration

DealzOnWheelz
01-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Don't listen to Hummtide knock and talk to them it will be more personal

One thing that works with places with No SOliciting signs

Knock on the door and say "Hey how you doing?"

house- "good"

you-"Look I saw the no soliciting sign but I feel so strongly about this candidate and our country that I believe Every American should at least have the oppurtunity to know who he is and what he stands for"

And if you've got a baby with you NOBODY WILL BE MAD AT THAT

rodmannn
01-05-2008, 02:52 PM
What neighborhood? My fear is that we are not coordinating enough with all the lists that are going out! I'm so happy you did this, however I don't want us going to the same houses! Are you in the Phoenix meetup group? If not, please join! We are going to try and keep track of areas that have already been hit. In this city of millions, it would be a shame to hit the same place 2x's!

Great work!!!
Kelly

I am in Ahwatukee, but I am pretty damn sure this neighborhood hasn't been hit. People were very receptive. I am sure there is a Ahwatukee meet-up group and I should join. Tell ya what, I just decided I will do that today as well. What the hell, why not! Its near 48th and Ray.

spacebetween
01-05-2008, 02:53 PM
My advice is DO knock! People have a much easier time refuting ideas when they can simply throw away a piece of paper, rather than stand at the door and listen to someone.

I just got back from doing canvassing in Iowa, and now I feel like I can talk to anyone!

Don't let the mean people that answer the door get you down. I had PLENTY of slammed doors, "DO YOU KNOW WHAT TIME/DAY IT IS," "I'm sick of Jehovah's Witnesses and politics," etc. But at the same time, it is so rewarding to find people you can actually talk to and explain the wonderful ideas of liberty and freedom.

If you detect a strong sense of annoyance per the resident's body language, what they say, etc., just apologize for taking their time and move along. That person ultimately won't matter.

Let the resident do the talking. Ask a million questions... make them think about why they support something that they say they do. It's self-deprecating at first, but you learn to shrug it off and discover much more accomplishment.

iloveronpaul
01-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Thank you!

Paul4Prez
01-05-2008, 02:54 PM

The advantage of knocking and talking is that you can find out who is leaning toward Ron Paul, remind the ones who are to vote, help those who need to register, and take a few with you on election day.

Handing out info is good, but gaining the feedback and a few more votes is even better. Some people might be mildly annoyed, but you're not taking much of their time.

all J's in IL for RP
01-05-2008, 03:27 PM
The advice I got on "No Solicitor" signs was that it didn't apply to politics. We're not selling anything, after all, just the message of hope and freedom. And I wouldn't call attention to the sign either when they open the door. I knocked on many doors with no soliciting signs during petitioning, and only one person pointed to it and said "no thank you." Besides, they might be new owners and didn't put up the sign to begin with and may not even realize it's there.

You've watched the vids on taking down names and voter turn out at the campaign website, correct?

Going door to door gets easier the longer you do it. Great to see some of the grassroots are finally getting serious about this campaign!

misc
01-05-2008, 03:30 PM
What neighborhood were you in?

I live in Phoenix but i left my neighborhood to canvass as mine is full of people who wont vote or cant vote(illegal).

JAlli41
01-05-2008, 03:56 PM
The advice I got on "No Solicitor" signs was that it didn't apply to politics. We're not selling anything, after all, just the message of hope and freedom. And I wouldn't call attention to the sign either when they open the door. I knocked on many doors with no soliciting signs during petitioning, and only one person pointed to it and said "no thank you." Besides, they might be new owners and didn't put up the sign to begin with and may not even realize it's there.

someone threatened to call the cops on my friend and I because supposedly there was a no soliciting sign in his neighborhood... pretty rude guy

jonahtrainer
01-05-2008, 04:13 PM

Uhh, YES KNOCK on the doors. I was out with 3 others today and we canvassed 6 neighboorhoods. When we ran into Ron Paul supporters we got their info so we can call on vote day and we got their permission to put up yard signs in their yard which is super important.

me3
01-05-2008, 04:31 PM
This is great. If everyone canvassed, and found 3 more "for sure" voters, we would have this thing in the bag.

OP, that's a pretty good result for your first canvassing run. See is you can do one or two more, and get some names and contact info to pass on to HQ for the turn out the vote effort in AZ.

Eric21ND
01-05-2008, 04:33 PM
This is great. If everyone canvassed, and found 3 more "for sure" voters, we would have this thing in the bag.

OP, that's a pretty good result for your first canvassing run. See is you can do one or two more, and get some names and contact info to pass on to HQ for the turn out the vote effort in AZ.

^^
You are correct! Definitely knock on every door you can, most people are very thankful for the information and willing to speak with you. And you find the Ron Paul people you never knew about. It's important to turn these people out to the polls. Encourage them to bring their friends and family with.

brandon
01-05-2008, 04:34 PM
I just went door-to-door in Jersey for my first time today. We had about 7 crews of two people each, and each group went to 50-100 houses.

I hope the rest of you can get out and start doing this as well!

all J's in IL for RP
01-05-2008, 04:39 PM
someone threatened to call the cops on my friend and I because supposedly there was a no soliciting sign in his neighborhood... pretty rude guy

I'd rather bump into the occasional rude guy than skip umpteen number houses with the anti-soliciting sign. He probably wasn't going to vote anyhow. I don't think the cops would actually arrest you for political canvasing; from what I understand, soliciting means sales

Of course, if your neighbor has large, new "No solicitors", "Beware of Dog" and "Trespassers Will Be Shot" signs, I might think thrice about a-knockin'.

life_is_good
01-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway. (title of the book I haven't yet received)
Good for you !
Way to go !

John P Slevin
01-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Great work Rodmannn,

Definitely DO knock, and don't worry about the no solicitor signs either.

You'll find very few people object to what you are doing, and almost everyone is polite, since they are your hosts...just say hi, you are volunteering to help the presidential campaign of Ron Paul, and you want to give them the slim jim or whatever you are distributing.

Another post cautioned about someone calling cops...let 'em, you are doing nothing wrong, need no license, and while there are some morons out there who think you cannot knock on their doors, they are few and far between.

Keep up the good work.

specsaregood
01-05-2008, 05:04 PM
//

brandon
01-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Our group in Jersey went out today also. 4 people 300 houses. KNOCK, hand them the info, smile, answer any questions, ask their top 3 issues, give appropriate slimjims. Repeat next door.

We have the registered voter lists and maps printed out. Hit those republicans and unaffiliated voters, skip the unregistered and the democrats.

Yep we did the same exact thing

wildflower
01-05-2008, 05:23 PM

Houses - Results

Great work, thank you so much! :) I can't wait till I move back to the states so I can do the same thing.

God bless you!

hopeforamerica
01-05-2008, 10:54 PM
I am in Ahwatukee, but I am pretty damn sure this neighborhood hasn't been hit. People were very receptive. I am sure there is a Ahwatukee meet-up group and I should join. Tell ya what, I just decided I will do that today as well. What the hell, why not! Its near 48th and Ray.

I'm in Ahwatukee and am having a huge canvassing meeting Sunday night!!! Please come! I'll pm you the info. We need to coordinate. I'll have about 15 people there including the state coordinator for the campaign!!