McCain 77.8%
Giuliani 9.1%
Romney 8.9%
Brownback 1.7%
Paul 1.5%
Huckabee 0.6%
Tancredo 0.4%
Hunter (neglible)

McCain will probably be toast before the MS primary. If F. Thompson runs, he will have huge support in MS. Romney will not fare well here. Giuliani will never get off the ground because of his views on guns. If F. Thompson does not run, it will get very very interesting. There's only 1 meetup group in MS for Ron Paul at the moment (I'm working on putting one together). I think that Dr. Paul's message will really resonate if we get it out there. Mississippians are very pro-Bush, thus pro-war, but I think if we emphasize Pro-life, pro-gun, anti-taxes, we will make major inroads.

Dustancostine
07-17-2007, 11:06 PM
Don't forget anti-amnesty. The south is just now seeing the flux of illegal immigrants that The West and Southwest have seen over the last 20 years.

DeadheadForPaul
07-17-2007, 11:08 PM
Immigration has become a big issue in states like Georgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina

Noodles
07-17-2007, 11:09 PM
Hell yeah, I totally forgot immigration. That would be the biggest issue of all in MS. Sleepy and stupid.

Can you guys believe McCain is at 78% here?

austin356
07-17-2007, 11:11 PM
you'd be surprised how many of the good ole country boys dont support the Bush Doctrine, especially the 60s/70s vets.

Id estimate, if you take out the blacks in MS, then of the remaining 40% do not support the war anymore. Then an additional 20% are very very very ready to jump ship but southern conservatives are very loyal and they are also very stubborn and know they would have to admit they are wrong when they change their minds.

austin356
07-17-2007, 11:13 PM
Immigration IS the issue.

I would guess 90% of Mississippians (who know what they are talking about) are against amnesty.

DeadheadForPaul
07-17-2007, 11:14 PM
Can you guys believe McCain is at 78% here?

Yes because there is no "top tier" southern candidate. George Allen probably wouldhave been #1 but he messed up his senate election and therefore his presidential bid

Romney = Massachusetts liberal and a Mormom
Giuliani = From NYC, pro-gun control

McCain is probably the only one they know other than those two. Fred Thompson is going to take over in places like MS, AL, TN, etc.

Dustancostine
07-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Yes I can believe it, because most people in the South will not vote for Guliani or Romney. They are both Yankees, and either are now or at some point were pro-abortion. Romney is Mormon, which isn't going to sit well in the Bible belt, and Guliani is seen has having lax moral values. That leaves the only person with name recognition as McCain. If Thompson enters the race see that support shift to him.

Also in general I think the only candidate that we have to worry about is Thompson. (This is assuming we get the word out like no other campaign has done before).

austin356
07-17-2007, 11:17 PM
Paul is spreading like wildfire among the 18-28 year olds in the deep south.

Hell out of the last 3 people I have talked to (who I did not previously know) every single on of them knows of Paul and 2 of them support him, with the non-supporter not supporting him cause he is from Jersey (UGH).

Dustancostine
07-17-2007, 11:19 PM
you'd be surprised how many of the good ole country boys dont support the Bush Doctrine, especially the 60s/70s vets.

Id estimate, if you take out the blacks in MS, then of the remaining 40% do not support the war anymore. Then an additional 20% are very very very ready to jump ship but southern conservatives are very loyal and they are also very stubborn and know they would have to admit they are wrong when they change their minds.

Also service members disproportionately come from the south and the south has more military bases. People have a hard time not supporting a war that their family, friends and neighbors are fighting and dieing for.

austin356
07-17-2007, 11:24 PM
Also service members disproportionately come from the south and the south has more military bases. People have a hard time not supporting a war that their family, friends and neighbors are fighting and dieing for.

I think that does not change the deep down understanding and knowing of what is the right stance, but it makes them much much more hesitant to not support it. Simply put, people dont want to believe that someone they know is fighting and dieing for a bogus and fruitless cause.

But, although military is much more prominent in the south it is not all covering. Personally I know not a single person in Iraq, Afghanistan, or even in the full-time military. (know a couple of guardsmen)

DAZ
07-18-2007, 01:40 AM
Personally I know not a single person in Iraq, Afghanistan, or even in the full-time military. (know a couple of guardsmen)

I was a little floored by this, but I guess my view is skewed by being in a military family. I'm sure I could name at least 20 people off the top of my head who are active duty military or retired within the last 5 years. I think Paul's message resonates with people from all over, but he may have more trouble getting support in more rural areas of the south simply because of name recognition. Fewer people to support him initially translates into fewer people who could introduce others to Paul's candidacy.

Lord Xar
07-18-2007, 01:42 AM
Immigration has become a big issue in states like Georgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina

hahahaha.. ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION IS A HUGE ISSUE EVERYWHERE EXCEPT MAYBE 10 states, and I am NOT kidding....

..but Ron Paul is rather silent on the issue....

Devil_rules_in_extremes
07-18-2007, 01:48 AM
Illegal immigration is HUGE here in Ohio.

Ron Paul should be beating that drum like no other. It's got to be the #1 issue along with the war...

Roxi
07-18-2007, 01:51 AM
good lord you should check out tulsa