PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Roundup (1-5-8)

RSDavis
01-05-2008, 12:23 PM
http://laceylibertarian.us/wp-images/rPaulRev.jpg

Ron Paul Roundup (1-5-8)
by RS Davis (http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=194780914&blogID=344593037&Mytoken=EC8B9F6D-CE85-4551-8ECC1E555ABD2E5533942796)

Hello Freedomphiles! Libertarian Steven Wood writes (http://www.nolanchart.com/article915.html) a slightly amusing piece on The Nolan Chart about what he thinks was the bright spot in Iowa:

Back to the election though. While he was on the phone ordering more Chicken Huckabee and Romney Noodles, the camera zoomed in on the ballots. Thats when I did it! I froze the picture and there it was, in all it's glory, the totals. I looked carefully at the ballots and candidate's names and noticed one glaring detail.

The smoking gun if you will!

Ron Paul beat Guilianni! That was Awesome! Remember the heated debate where Rudy lectured Ron Paul about the middleeast? In your face Rudy! Oh sure he can say he wasn't trying, but isn't that like saying; "You can't fire me, I'm not a match." I never did understand that argument, but I think beating Guilianni is like way cool if you ask me.

And Sarah Lai Stirland over at Wired is writing (http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/01/supporters-mull.html) about the reaction from Paulistas about the Iowa vote:

Paul's supporters remain optimistic about their candidate's prospects in New Hampshire primary next week, where the state motto is "Live Free or Die." The widely-read political blog Real Clear Politics has calculated a polling average of 7 percent of the New Hampshire Republican vote for Paul.

Supporters like Henderson hope that "Doctor No" can up that to 15 percent. He points to Paul's remarkable fourth quarter haul of $19 million as reason for optimism.

"If you look at the national polls, Mike Huckabee isn't doing as well, and although he has a little bit of money, he doesn't have enough money to put television ads up" in all of the Super Tuesday states, Henderson says.

I actually think 15% could be on the low end of the vote total for Paul in New Hampshire.

Centrist Liberal Libertarian and professional pessimist Joel S. Hirschhorn writes (http://www.nolanchart.com/article954.html) over at The Nolan Chart that it's all over for Dr Paul:

Even with a huge historic turnout of about 348,000 participants, Paul did not attract significant numbers of independents that could easily participate in the Republican caucuses. They went to Obama, Edwards and Huckabee.

On the Democratic side, of some 232,000 people that turned out for the caucuses, nearly doubling what it was four years ago, about 70 percent wanted change and went for Obama and Edwards, roughly 150,000 participants.

On the Republican side, of the 116,000 participants, about 40,000 change-voters went for Huckabee, compared to 11,600 that chose Paul, giving him fifth place. That 10 percent for Paul was very close to the 9 percent found in a Des Moines Register poll of likely caucus voters (margin of error 3.5 points). Interestingly, like Paul, Huckabee also wants to eliminate the federal income tax.

In both parties, change-voters totaled about 200,000. So Paul received just 6 percent of that large fraction, and just 3 percent of the total of all caucus participants in Iowa. Paul was first in only one county, Jefferson, with 36 percent.

Wow, Joel, smoke a joint and relax a bit. This was the first of many primaries, in an exceedingly socially conservative state. Yes, Huckabee also proposed ending the income tax, although he would replace it with something else, which Paul would not. But he had something Paul didn't - theocrat cred in Religious Right Country. This is not over yet, as Paul will do much better in New Hampshire. Ten percent in Iowa for a candidate like Paul is a victory.

Now, Ryan Blethan over at The Seattle Times wrote (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2004106201_ryan04.html)about Paul's exclusion from the Fox News debate:

So what criteria have ABC News and Fox News relied on to determine the electability of the next presidential contenders?

Fox News has invited what it must consider the five top contenders for the Republican nomination for a Sunday night debate. Left out are Reps. Ron Paul, R-Texas, and Duncan Hunter, R-Calif.

How can Fox News exclude Paul and include former Sen. Fred Thompson when Paul has more support in New Hampshire?

(...)

Paul should be allowed a seat on the GOP stage. His Libertarian message resonates in New Hampshire. The Texan also brings some glaring differences, like his opposition to the war, to a Republican stage dominated by fear-based foreign policy and immigration reform.

So, Ron Paul has a couple of new ads out. Here's the first one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AmY-fW3gdc

That one is being shown in South Carolina. The second one has stirred up some controversy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T-iJKwskH4

This one has got people talking. Justin Raimondo of Anti-War has this (http://www.antiwar.com/blog/2007/12/29/ron-pauls-disgraceful-ad/) to say:

To begin with, it is odd, indeed, for a libertarian to be invoking the concept of collective guilt: is every citizen of these unnamed "terrorist nations" to be declared persona non grata on account of the actions of a minuscule number of their countrymen?

Secondly, just which nations is Rep. Paul talking about? Fifteen of the 9/11 hijackers came from Saudi Arabia: two were from the United Arab Emirates, one was Egyptian and another one hailed from Lebanon. Is Paul seriously saying that we should deport the thousands from these countries studying in the US? And why stop there? Why allow anyone from these so-called "terrorist nations" entry into the US for any reason whatsoever – just to be on the safe side?

This is pandering to the worst, Tom Tancredo-esque paranoia and outright ignorance (or do I repeat myself?) and is not worthy of Dr. Paul. I have the utmost respect for the candidate, but in using this unfortunate term, "terrorist nations," the Good Doctor undermines his non-interventionist foreign policy stance. If these are, in truth, "terrorist nations" – which most will take to mean all predominantly Muslim nations — then why not invade them, kill the terrorists, and be done with it? This phraseology gives the War Party carte blanche – and, believe you me, they'll use it.

I hate to say it, but I agree with Justin 100%. This is the part of the ad that bothers me, too. World Net Daily focuses (http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59551) on another aspect of the ad:

A controversial new anti-illegal-immigration ad by GOP presidential hopeful Ron Paul has sent his libertarian supporters into high dudgeon, but it's getting rave reviews from border-security hawks, including some Homeland Security officials.

In a surprise move, the strict constitutionalist has taken aim at the 14th Amendment as part of a proposal to control growing illegal immigration. U.S. Rep. Paul, R-Texas, proposes repealing the provision that gives automatic citizenship to children born in the U.S., even if their parents enter the country illegally.

"Ron Paul wants border security now," his new campaign ad asserts. "Physically secure the border. No amnesty. No welfare to illegal aliens. End birthright citizenship. No more student visas from terrorist nations."

As a libertarian, I am for pretty open borders, but there is nothing inconsistent with wanting robust legal immigration. Being against wholesale amnesty and birthright citizenship and welfare for illegals does not make you un-libertarian. Still, he needs to seriously rethink the student visa plank to that immigration platform.

The Christian Science Monitor has a nice profile (http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0102/p01s08-uspo.html) of Ron Paul on their website:

"He's been a very serious student of economics since medical school, and has read a huge amount of history – constitutional history and monetary history. His philosophical and economic views drive him and everything he does," says Llewellyn Rockwell, a former congressional chief of staff for Paul. Mr. Rockwell is president of the Ludwig von Mises Institute in Auburn, Ala., and maintains the popular website, lewrockwell.com.

As a physician, Paul says he came to resent government intervention in his practice. In his years as an OB/GYN, he didn't accept Medicare and Medicaid payments because he felt they represented unconstitutional government overreach. Sometimes, he'd treat patients for free.

"I found that government was interfering with my judgment as a doctor, disrupting the doctor/patient relationship, and making prices go up," he says.

But what drove him into public life was President Richard Nixon's decision in 1971 to break the last link between gold and US currency and impose wage and price controls. "I decided to speak out," he says.

A nation that spends, borrows, and prints too much money inevitably pays a price, he says. Unrestrained by a link to gold, the Federal Reserve can create too much credit, fueling housing and stock bubbles. The result: The dollar continues to goes down in value, the nation becomes ever more dependent on borrowing money abroad, and young people pay the price. A return to the gold standard restrains the government and restores the value of the dollar.

"My influence, such as it is, comes only by educating others about the rightness of the free market," he wrote in a 1984 essay, "Mises and Austrian Economics: A Personal View."

If you'd like to buy that 1984 essay, click here (http://www.mises.org/store/Mises-and-Austrian-Economics-A-Personal-View-P154C22.aspx). If you'd like to just hear Professor Floy Lilley read the whole thing to you, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAPgFoJh9f8

And finally, the Union Leader has a piece (http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Paul%3A+His+opposition+to+th e+war+in+Iraq+remains+a+central+campaign+theme&articleId=290a3dc4-e0cd-413f-a3e6-36bd8653c4b0)on Paul, as well:

Outside Riley's Gun Shop in Hooksett, there are several signs supporting Republican presidential candidates, but the largest one belongs to Ron Paul's campaign.

This is friendly turf for the Texas congressman, who is known for his staunch support of gun owners' rights. So, during a recent late Saturday morning visit, he's given the star treatment as he walks through the bustling gun store.

An employee hands Paul a .357 Magnum revolver to look at and, while he's holding it, the candidate asks him about guns. Though he's big on gun rights, Paul admittedly isn't a big shooter himself; he says he can't remember the last time he shot a firearm. His pro-gun supporters don't care about that.

That's an interesting coincidence, because those of you that have read my many Guns Save Lives blogs know that I, too, am a staunch defender of the Second Amendment. But like Paul, I don't own any guns and it's been years since I've even fired one.

http://www.brendangates.com/forumlogo.jpg

Xanax Nation
01-06-2008, 01:39 AM
I gotta say I read your roundup all the time, and agree with you on your point about the ad in general. But the point, and we may agree to disagree, is that we're not there yet. It will take some time to get back on friendly terms with other countries. Once we have reestablished trust with each other, and have good relations with other governments, then I forsee a friendlier border and visa policy with citizens from those countries. This is a goal we all have to work toward, and just like we have made great strides against prejudice towards minorites in our country, we will have to work just as hard against prejudice to foreigners as well. Dr. Paul can't do it alone, it will take all of us to make it happen.

Keep up the great writing. I suck at it, so it is always a pleasure to read a well thought-out article written by someone who has talent.

dseisner
01-06-2008, 05:26 AM
I hope he pulls the part about "terrorist nations." I think it's against his principles and in all the interviews I've watched, I've never heard him mention student visas. I would focus on taking away welfare and free health care from illegals. Like he says all the time, "we would be welcoming people into our country if it weren't for our current welfare state where illegals put hospitals, schools, and social services out of business. Eliminate the welfare state and our illegal immigration problem will go away."

Jeremiah
01-06-2008, 09:35 AM
Dr. Paul has consistently said that illegal immigration is a complex issue, given that there are 12-20 million illegals in the country at the moment. He is dealing with the causes first while securing the borders so as not to add to the problem.

The terrorist issue will be dealt with in the main by removing American bases from hostile nations first. He is absolutely right on this and is the ONLY candidate of either party who is. The others depend upon the special interests for their support so they will continue the warfare/welfare state and borrow the country into bankruptcy. This is not a difficult point to get across.

I just wish Dr. Paul would stop saying the "government" prints the money. The private banker owned Fed creates the money out of thin air for the government to borrow and the taxpayers pay the interest on it to the bankers forever. That is where most of the income tax goes. Get rid of the Fed, authorise the Treasury to really print the money to pay off the debt to the bankers who own most of it and, along with bringing all the troops home, that will get rid of the need for the income tax. That fact alone is worth most of the taxpayers votes surely. He must know this so why doesn't he say it?

RSDavis
01-07-2008, 09:04 AM
I gotta say I read your roundup all the time, and agree with you on your point about the ad in general. But the point, and we may agree to disagree, is that we're not there yet. It will take some time to get back on friendly terms with other countries. Once we have reestablished trust with each other, and have good relations with other governments, then I forsee a friendlier border and visa policy with citizens from those countries. This is a goal we all have to work toward, and just like we have made great strides against prejudice towards minorites in our country, we will have to work just as hard against prejudice to foreigners as well. Dr. Paul can't do it alone, it will take all of us to make it happen.

Keep up the great writing. I suck at it, so it is always a pleasure to read a well thought-out article written by someone who has talent.

Thanks! Check out the rest of my blog, and I hope you are right about Dr Paul!

- R

RSDavis
01-07-2008, 09:14 AM
I hope he pulls the part about "terrorist nations." I think it's against his principles and in all the interviews I've watched, I've never heard him mention student visas. I would focus on taking away welfare and free health care from illegals. Like he says all the time, "we would be welcoming people into our country if it weren't for our current welfare state where illegals put hospitals, schools, and social services out of business. Eliminate the welfare state and our illegal immigration problem will go away."

That's the thing. Illegals don't really tax our welfare system the way some think they do:

Immigration restrictionists argue, not without some merit, that illegal immigrants don’t fully pay into the social-welfare system from which they benefit. Restrictionists tend to overstate the effect of illegal immigrants on American wages and they understate the amount of taxes even illegals pay. About two-thirds of illegals pay Medicare, Social Security, and income taxes. All pay sales taxes and property taxes (directly if they own property, or, more likely, indirectly via rents that reflect property taxes). And since 1996, the only public funds illegals can really access are for emergency medical care and primary and secondary education (and only 10 percent of illegals send kids to public schools).

But the most efficient way to address those concerns is by making it easier for illegals to function in the light of day, where they would have every reason to pay all the taxes the rest of us do. And to enter the country through official checkpoints (and to leave the country through the same gates). This isn’t just idle guesswork. In October 2005, the National Immigration Forum and the conservative Manhattan Institute surveyed 233 illegal Latino immigrants in Miami, Los Angeles, and Chicago. Fully 98 percent of respondents said they would legalize their status if given the opportunity. (81 percent said they would “live and work in the United States” for the rest of their lives.) Ninety-one percent said they would pay a $1,000 fine to come clean and 96 percent said they would submit to a criminal background check. Seventy percent said they would pay any back taxes they owed as a condition of legalization and 87 percent said they would enroll in an English class. A vanishingly small proportion of illegal immigrants come here to live in the shadows of American prosperity. (http://www.reason.com/news/show/36906.html)