PDA

View Full Version : Why Paul needs to go after Obama

Micahyah
01-05-2008, 06:23 AM
1. Obama is taking low interest independents and young voters who think he will end the war, bring big changes to Washington, etc.

2. It will raise his profile if Obama's campaign responds to any attacks. Remember, Obama called out Paul by name first, saying last week that "They don't poll Ron Paul, but I can beat him too."

3. He can gain good will among the Republican base by being the first candidate to really challenge the new democratic frontrunner as being a phony, empty suit, just nice words, etc. Most of the other candidates have spent months talking about Hillary. He can be the first to really take on Obama. The old days of Rudy-Hillary can be replaced by Paul-Obama.

4. Anything related to Obama now will get coverage. It's a long campaign season, and with 24 hour cable news, attacks by Paul on Obama will be brought up multiple times, raising Paul's name recognition.

Joe3113
01-05-2008, 06:29 AM
Rather than put this on Ron, I think the grassroots need to get out there and inform the voters of Obama's positions and how they differ from Ron.

itsnobody
01-05-2008, 06:29 AM
I don't think so, Obama is a Democrat, Ron Paul shouldn' t go after anyone yet

Copperhed51
01-05-2008, 06:31 AM
I think Ron Paul challenging a frontrunner like Obama would either propel Ron very quickly to near the top or would be the end of him. It would be an interesting strategy for sure.

pickfair
01-05-2008, 06:32 AM
Maybe Dr. Paul shouldn't, but WE should! Obama is our biggest competition, especially when it comes to the younger voters. Like me. People tend to go with the flow, and Obama has many advantages over Ron Paul: a) media support b) he's younger c) he's black. I've seen a lot of people my age trying to choose between Ron Paul and Obama. And this is why NH is so important for us. We've got to do well here. A lot of people are already considering Obama after Iowa, and many are waiting to see what will happen in New Hampshire, which is the most independent state.

Micahyah
01-05-2008, 06:33 AM

Obama being a democrat is the point. Right now it only seems like Paul is angry at his own party.

We can't stay at only 7% support among Republicans. Alot of Republicans saw that victory speech by Obama and threw up a little in their mouths. They will cheer on an attack by Paul, and like him more because of it.

Paul brings up democrats in general terms and how they are spending this country into a fiscal crisis. He just needs to start jabbing specifically at Obama.

Kingfisher
01-05-2008, 06:34 AM
Maybe Dr. Paul shouldn't, but WE should! Obama is our biggest competition, especially when it comes to the younger voters. Like me. People tend to go with the flow, and Obama has many advantages over Ron Paul: a) media support b) he's younger c) he's black. I've seen a lot of people my age trying to choose between Ron Paul and Obama. And this is why NH is so important for us. We've got to do well here. A lot of people are already considering Obama after Iowa, and many are waiting to see what will happen in New Hampshire, which is the most independent state.

DITTO!!!

Dave Pedersen
01-05-2008, 06:35 AM
Going for the young voters is great but..

we cannot win without the older crowd and they READ NEWSPAPERS.

itsnobody
01-05-2008, 06:36 AM
Well it might get him cheap publicity, but ROn Paul has been the most sincere candidate, if he wants to attack Obama then ok, I would just prefer Ron Paul to keep his integrity

Micahyah
01-05-2008, 06:37 AM
Going for the young voters is great but..

we cannot win without the older crowd and they READ NEWSPAPERS.

Newspapers will cover someone attacking Paul. So will CNN, MSNBC, FOX. And Ron Paul's name will be brought up when that is covered. There is still at least 50% of the country who don't know Paul. Their first introduction may be as the guy that first challenged Obama. And if they are Republican or lean to the right, their first impression will be favorable.

pickfair
01-05-2008, 06:47 AM
The thing with younger voters is, we've already seen an increase in the number of voter turnouts, and it wasn't just the older people. Youth vote will matter in this election AND the primaries. Added to that fact is that the younger people have actually heard of Ron Paul and we need to go after them.

That said, I'm having a discussion with an Obama supporter and he asked when exactly RP is going to bring the troops home from Iraq. Does he have a timeline for this? He says Obama's plan is to bring them home within 16 months... which is strange, because I've seen so many different dates for his plans I don't know which one is true anymore.

WilliamC
01-05-2008, 06:55 AM
Trust me on this, Clinton will be spending 10's of millions going after Obama. I think the attacks on the Democrats against each other will be much worse than the Huckabee/Romney attacks.

Micahyah
01-05-2008, 06:56 AM
I think he says as quickly as safely possible, around 8-9 months or so.

Micahyah
01-05-2008, 06:58 AM
Trust me on this, Clinton will be spending 10's of millions going after Obama. I think the attacks on the Democrats against each other will be much worse than the Huckabee/Romney attacks.

Oh definitely, they will be throwing the kitchen sink at him.

But this is more to raise Paul's profile and make the contrasts from the right to take voters that would have gone to Obama. Clinton will just be slinging mud.

Dave Pedersen
01-05-2008, 06:59 AM
Newspapers will cover someone attacking Paul. So will CNN, MSNBC, FOX. And Ron Paul's name will be brought up when that is covered. There is still at least 50% of the country who don't know Paul. Their first introduction may be as the guy that first challenged Obama. And if they are Republican or lean to the right, their first impression will be favorable.

My point is we need to get info out about Doctor Ron in the newspapers. Newspapers are the pre-internet medium of communication. It is two way communication.

Micahyah
01-05-2008, 07:04 AM
My point is we need to get info out about Doctor Ron in the newspapers. Newspapers are the pre-internet medium of communication. It is two way communication.

Yeah I'm all for that, the idea of flooding local papers (based on the suggestion of Jefferson Co., Iowa) seems great.

WilliamC
01-05-2008, 07:26 AM
Oh definitely, they will be throwing the kitchen sink at him.

But this is more to raise Paul's profile and make the contrasts from the right to take voters that would have gone to Obama. Clinton will just be slinging mud.

If Paul were to run adds contrasting his foreign policy positions with those of Obama's and somehow target them to the appropriate audience I think this would be good, but at this stage he needs to focus on winning the Republican nomination.

If Obama beats Clinton in New Hampshire and South Carolina I would hope the Republicans realize they need to nominate someone who has appeal to the same demographic, who steals Obama's position on the war issue, who is able to raise money outside the establishment, and who has a rock-star presence at campaign rallies.

I'm going to call in to a local talk radio show today that has a Conservative host who is against Ron Paul and try to make exactly this argument. The Republicans will not be able to beat a Clinton/Obama ticket with Guiliani, or Huckabee, or most certainly not with McCain or Thompson. Maybe they will come around to Ron Paul if they can saddle him with Romney for VP, especially considering Ron Pauls age.

tsetsefly
01-05-2008, 07:28 AM

yes, the independents are going to obama thinking he will end teh war, he wont, plus he voted for the patriot act...

liberty_Forever
01-05-2008, 07:32 AM
We can easily provide information to Obama supporters, they are also internet-savvy. Let's just have discussion with them and provide the facts.

bolidew
01-05-2008, 09:43 AM
1. Obama is taking low interest independents and young voters who think he will end the war, bring big changes to Washington, etc.

2. It will raise his profile if Obama's campaign responds to any attacks. Remember, Obama called out Paul by name first, saying last week that "They don't poll Ron Paul, but I can beat him too."

3. He can gain good will among the Republican base by being the first candidate to really challenge the new democratic frontrunner as being a phony, empty suit, just nice words, etc. Most of the other candidates have spent months talking about Hillary. He can be the first to really take on Obama. The old days of Rudy-Hillary can be replaced by Paul-Obama.

4. Anything related to Obama now will get coverage. It's a long campaign season, and with 24 hour cable news, attacks by Paul on Obama will be brought up multiple times, raising Paul's name recognition.

OP you are right!