PDA

View Full Version : Submit questions to MR. Ron Paul

conner_condor
07-17-2007, 06:35 PM
I need to ask Ron Paul a serious question about liberties and criminals. I myself am not a criminal and allowed to vote and purchase firearms. I was going to ask him about people who has done crimes in the past and has done all their time to society, Jail and probation complete. Will he reinstate all their liberties back to these people so they can also live in true freedom? I know a few people who have done crimes and did the time and probation and completed their debt to society, But yet they are considered felons and are not allowed to vote nor buy or be in possesion of a firearm. I am a Ron Paul junkie and he has my vote no matter what. I was just curious if he believes that they should have all their rights reinstated as I do after they proved their self by paying their debt to society?

Is there anyway to get this question to him for me?

angelatc
07-17-2007, 06:37 PM
That issue is decided on a state-by-state basis.

Daveforliberty
07-17-2007, 06:39 PM
Connor, unless you have committed a Federal offense, I believe these matters are handled by the state. Some states allow you to vote, carry a gun, etc., some don't.

DeadheadForPaul
07-17-2007, 06:40 PM
That issue is decided on a state-by-state basis.

Yep. This is not an issue for the federal government to address, so Dr. Paul has not taken a stance on this issue.

I see you're a new user, connor. If you have any other questions, feel free to post them here or contact me via private message. Welcome to the board!

conner_condor
07-17-2007, 07:04 PM
Yep. This is not an issue for the federal government to address, so Dr. Paul has not taken a stance on this issue.

I see you're a new user, connor. If you have any other questions, feel free to post them here or contact me via private message. Welcome to the board!

One more question? Isn't that unconstitutional for the state to do this?
They trust this man to be free without supervision and he paid his debt to society.
I am not sure if it is lawful to keep him from certain rights. Especially if they didn't sign a piece of paper waiving these rights as a condition of his release after he did his time. Would this not be illegal for the states to do?

Thank you for the welcome and the replies..

Sematary
07-17-2007, 07:06 PM
They trust this man to be free without supervision and he paid his debt to society.
I am not sure if it is lawful to keep him from certain rights. Especially if they didn't sign a piece of paper waiving these rights as a condition of his release after he did his time. Would this not be illegal for the states to do?

As far as I know, the constitution doesn't address this and the only way to get a definitive answer would be to bring it to the SCOTUS.

DeadheadForPaul
07-17-2007, 07:08 PM

While I personally believe that he/she should be allowed to vote after serving time, it is still a state issue. The Constitution of the U.S. does not address this issue really, so it should be left up to local and state governments to decide. Some would argue that once you commit a crime which violates someone else's life, liberty, and property that you forfeit some of your own liberty to pay for it. Perhaps the community decides that they do not believe this individual should ever be allowed to vote again because the person has demonstrated very poor judgement and behavior. I don't think this is a really key issue and I've only given it a thought maybe once or twice before so I'm not exactly an expert on the issue, but that's my take

If you are passionate about this issue, the best way to change it is for you to address it in your state and local community because federal law does not concern this issue. I've done this on a number of issue in my state and local community. If it's simply a philosophical question, I hope you had your question adequately answered

sunny
07-17-2007, 07:28 PM
I need to ask Ron Paul a serious question about liberties and criminals. I myself am not a criminal and allowed to vote and purchase firearms. I was going to ask him about people who has done crimes in the past and has done all their time to society, Jail and probation complete. Will he reinstate all their liberties back to these people so they can also live in true freedom? I know a few people who have done crimes and did the time and probation and completed their debt to society, But yet they are considered felons and are not allowed to vote nor buy or be in possesion of a firearm. I am a Ron Paul junkie and he has my vote no matter what. I was just curious if he believes that they should have all their rights reinstated as I do after they proved their self by paying their debt to society?

Is there anyway to get this question to him for me?

it's "Dr." Ron Paul