View Full Version : Don't miss the ABC debate tomorrow

colecrowe
01-05-2008, 01:58 AM
It might be better because of the first part--actual debating, what a concept

It's on at 7pm here (PST)

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gjh7i72QlPs1j5mdjTogPjGGlCnQD8TVB1A00

ABC Cuts 3 From Presidential Debates

By DAVID BAUDER – 9 hours ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Saturday's prime-time presidential debates from New Hampshire will be less crowded because ABC News is excluding GOP candidate Duncan Hunter and Democrats Dennis Kucinich and Mike Gravel.

The candidates failed to meet benchmarks for their support that were outlined prior to Thursday's Iowa caucus, the network said Friday.

ABC said it hoped to encourage more conversation and interaction among the candidates during the debates, which will both be moderated by Charles Gibson. The stakes are high as candidates take the stage three days before the New Hampshire primary.

The Republican debate will include Iowa caucus winner Mike Huckabee, John McCain, Rudy Giuliani, Fred Thompson, Mitt Romney and Ron Paul. It starts at 7 p.m. EST.

Shortly after that 90-minute forum, Democrats Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, John Edwards and Bill Richardson will take the stage at St. Anselm College in Manchester, N.H.

The network set rules to narrow the field. Candidates had to meet at least one of three criteria: place first through fourth in Iowa, poll 5 percent or higher in one of the last four major New Hampshire surveys, or poll 5 percent or higher in one of the last four major national surveys.

Democrats Joe Biden and Chris Dodd took some of the pressure off ABC by quitting the race Thursday night.

"In previous debates where the stage was more crowded you had to make sure all of the candidates got fair time," said David Chalian, ABC News political director. "Here you will have more time to go in depth on the issues."

ABC said it believed its rules were inclusive, while also ensuring viewers get a thorough look at the probable next president.

"We're regretful that we're not going to be in it," said Roy Tyler, a spokesman for Hunter. "We're just going to keep working. I think it's a mistake on their part to exclude any viable candidate at this point."

Fox News Channel is sponsoring a debate in its mobile studio Sunday that excludes Paul and Hunter. Huckabee, Giuliani, Romney, Thompson and McCain have been invited.

Representatives from the Kucinich and Gravel campaigns did not immediately return messages left for comment about the ABC debate.

Each debate will be divided into two parts. During the first 45 minutes, Gibson will select three prominent issues to promote a dialogue. The candidates will be seated and encouraged to talk to each other, and not just to the cameras, Gibson said.

"If I have any personal prejudice against these debates, it's that you see too much of the moderator," Gibson said. "I want to see less of the moderator and more of the candidates."

There won't be any buzzers or lights on the stage to mark time limits for talking, putting the pressure on Gibson to limit filibusters and promote fairness.

The second half of the debate will be a more traditional format, with Gibson and WMUR-TV political director Scott Spradling asking questions on a variety of topics. Candidates will be asked to keep their answers to a minute, Chalian said.

Gibson said he hoped to have a few minutes where both Republican and Democratic candidates are on the same stage, to promote the idea that despite differences, all are Americans hoping for the best for their country. The auditorium will be quickly emptied between debates and a new audience brought in.

Diane Sawyer and George Stephanopoulos will lead ABC's coverage. Three hours of live debate with both Republican and Democratic candidates represents a grueling on-air test for Gibson, ABC's chief news anchor.

"I didn't volunteer," he said. "It's something new, it's something different. I can fail miserably at this and may well do so but we're looking for some ways to do something different."

ABC is owned by The Walt Disney Co. Fox is a unit of News Corp.

angrydragon
01-05-2008, 01:59 AM
I think it's 7pm everywhere, at least in the US.

kushaze
01-05-2008, 02:00 AM
I hope they (or at least Ron Paul) go after McCain on that 100 year bullshit. I also hope that someone on the democrat side gets some spine and goes after Obama. It starts at 6pm central time.

tgannaway89
01-05-2008, 02:15 AM
I am glad that Ron Paul is included, but I don't think it is really fair to exclude the other candidates.

dvictr
01-05-2008, 02:17 AM
i hope it is a RON PAUL vs. everyone else... debate... but I think he will pick his issues and moments carefully.. this is great exposure for Ron Paul...

one part of me would like them to mention or have Ron Paul flat out ask the other candidates to demand Ron Paul to be included sunday at Fox .. but our best bet is that ABC does not mention it and have it marginalized. most people will be pooped out after the debates to watch fox on sunday anyways!

angrydragon
01-05-2008, 02:17 AM
If the candidates agreed to the standards, how is it not fair?

ABC said the rules were quite inclusive, and that none of the candidates objected ahead of time. Its decision was made easier by Democrats Joe Biden and Chris Dodd dropping out of the race Thursday night.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gjh7i72QlPs1j5mdjTogPjGGlCnQD8TV70I00

dvictr
01-05-2008, 02:20 AM
Hunter has NO chance... he raised ZERO money... RON PAUL is a real candidate...

Suzu
01-05-2008, 02:28 AM
I hope Ron Paul asks all the other guys how they think we can afford to continue the war and ongoing military presence in 130+ countries. I hope he asks them all if they think letting the fed keep printing more money is a good idea, and if it's not a good idea, what is their plan to stop it?

In other words, I wanna see some neocon jaws hitting the floor!

Micahyah
01-05-2008, 03:20 AM
Ron Paul has a huge opportunity in that 45 minute first section. No one stopping him with a buzzer or bell.

I hope the 3 topics are foreign policy, the economy, and immigration.

Paul can win over the voters of NH big time.

abruzz0
01-05-2008, 03:28 AM
Nice. The field has been cut to the 5 clowns vs. Ron Paul. Let's keep it up. Stay positive. Keep working hard.

I'm excited for the debate tomorrow night. Will definitely be tuning in.

vis-à-vis
01-05-2008, 04:45 AM
Is this gonna be broadcast on the net?

RickyJ
01-05-2008, 05:04 AM
i hope it is a RON PAUL vs. everyone else... debate... but I think he will pick his issues and moments carefully.. this is great exposure for Ron Paul...

one part of me would like them to mention or have Ron Paul flat out ask the other candidates to demand Ron Paul to be included sunday at Fox .. but our best bet is that ABC does not mention it and have it marginalized. most people will be pooped out after the debates to watch fox on sunday anyways!

With an NFL playoff game on there may not be too many people watching the Fox news presidential forum show. Also since Paul won't be in the forum it might be good for all of us to vote for the weakest candidate as the winner of the debate, that of course would be Rudy. :D Rudy has no chance of winning now that the media has anointed the Chinamart boy from the NWO owned state of Arkansas to be the fall guy to Hillary.

itshappening
01-05-2008, 06:48 AM
hopefully Ron Paul will excel in this format, I hope he gets one on one with McCain and Huckabee, Huck has shown he likes to engage Paul before and McCain has shown disdain in the CNN youtube debate

Dave Pedersen
01-05-2008, 06:52 AM
I hope he stays calm no matter what. When he gets agitated.. his voice goes into some kind of grannystate. And I hope he doesn't start scolding the audience.

Stay cool, Doctor No, like Fred Astair.

ExpatinArgentina
01-05-2008, 06:55 AM
Does anyone know if there will be a live feed for this and if so would you please post it?
Thanks

familydog
01-05-2008, 08:05 AM
Meh. I wish they would have included Hunter. I'm not a big fan of censorship and I don't want the media picking and choosing candidates for me.

Captain Shays
01-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Hunter has NO chance... he raised ZERO money... RON PAUL is a real candidate...That's what some people say about Ron Paul which they use as a pretext for exclusion.
In my opinion, I think those of us who rail against Fox for excluding Ron Paul and support ABC's exclusion of Hunter are hypocrites for not railing against Hunters exclusion.

We should support Hunters inclusion. If anything at least some of the Hunter supporters will remember it if or when he's forced to drop out of the race and might join our revolution.

The media should have no influence on who we the people choose to govern us. They should just convey information and that's it.

Daantje757
01-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Does anyone know if there will be a live feed for this and if so would you please post it?
Thanks

There's a channel on www.channelchooser.com that's called ABC News Now.. don't know if that's the actual live channel though.