PDA

View Full Version : Campaign problems?

Abyss
01-05-2008, 01:46 AM
I've heard stuff all the time about how much the official campaign sucks.

But does it really have problems? I really want a serious discussion here, not idle chit chat.

Sure it ignored people like the NRA, but for us to try get their endorsement, would be two faced if we didn't stick to what they held for right?

It does seem like some stuff is out of place, like the TV ad, but it is traditional, and isn't that what IA is all about?

Is there real evidence that the campaign is being managed poorly? Or is it just that they don't talk to us, and its just a big mystery?

I wonder how much say Dr Paul has in his campaign lol.

drexhex
01-05-2008, 01:48 AM
We'll see after Tuesday.

crink
01-05-2008, 01:50 AM
The commercials could be better.
They were apparently very poorly organized in Iowa, but i think things will work much better with this precinct captain system.
It is vital that they stop ignoring free national publicity.
And they need to start getting out of the big cities and start working for more suburban and rural support.

coboman
01-05-2008, 01:50 AM
HQ: "12 million to win Iowa and New Hampshire"
Grasroots: "Here you go, almost 20 million"

HQ: "We finished 5th in Iowa. Which is great"
Grassroots: "WTF?"

driller80545
01-05-2008, 01:51 AM
I have not been impressed with them.

mrd
01-05-2008, 01:53 AM
If there really was corruption of a database file at the Iowa HQ which cost thousands of votes - this may be a severe oversight of national HQ. The least they can do is provide secure computing environments for the state HQs. There will definitely be others trying to destroy our ability to organize - it will continue to be a threat.

Bradley in DC
01-05-2008, 02:07 AM
I've heard stuff all the time about how much the official campaign sucks.

But does it really have problems?

Yes.

Sure it ignored people like the NRA, but for us to try get their endorsement, would be two faced if we didn't stick to what they held for right?
This is how they treat the press, trade associations and other groups
http://blog.nj.com/njv_paul_mulshine..._bad_news.html

It does seem like some stuff is out of place, like the TV ad, but it is traditional, and isn't that what IA is all about?
The immigration ad had sucky production quality (bad grammar, etc.,) just making us look bad, contradicted Dr. Paul's positions (I checked with the Congressional office) which makes him look like a pandering flip-flopper, didn't hurt Huckabee, and scared our anti-war Independent votes to Obama. Obama went up a few places and points in the polls as we dropped from third to fifth and lost points in the polls. At the same time as the immigration ad. Coincidence? I for one want my money back.

Is there real evidence that the campaign is being managed poorly? Or is it just that they don't talk to us, and its just a big mystery?
Yes, there is real evidence. As any of the DC volunteers or others on this board who have had the misfortune of volunteering at HQ. They don't talk with us because we can see through their incompetence.

tsetsefly
01-05-2008, 02:11 AM
Yes.

This is how they treat the press, trade associations and other groups
http://blog.nj.com/njv_paul_mulshine..._bad_news.html

The immigration ad had sucky production quality (bad grammar, etc.,) just making us look bad, contradicted Dr. Paul's positions (I checked with the Congressional office) which makes him look like a pandering flip-flopper, didn't hurt Huckabee, and scared our anti-war Independent votes to Obama. Obama went up a few places and points in the polls as we dropped from third to fifth and lost points in the polls. At the same time as the immigration ad. Coincidence? I for one want my money back.

Yes, there is real evidence. As any of the DC volunteers or others on this board who have had the misfortune of volunteering at HQ. They don't talk with us because we can see through their incompetence.

What can we do about it? seriously?

libertarian4321
01-05-2008, 02:15 AM
HQ: "12 million to win Iowa and New Hampshire"
Grasroots: "Here you go, almost 20 million"

HQ: "We finished 5th in Iowa. Which is great"
Grassroots: "WTF?"

Not everyone here thought 10%/5th was bad for a state like Iowa. It wasn't great, but it was about what you would expect from a purely UNEMOTIONAL point of view.

Given that Ron had generally polled well below 10% in Iowa, and as recently as 2 months ago barely registered in Iowa, 10% was actually quite good. It wasn't long ago that Dr. Paul was polling solidly 6th in Iowa.

I thought Ron would probably finish 4th or 5th, and maybe 3rd if the chips fell just right. The people that were ranting about 1st or 2nd were just nuts.

NH is another story, a 3rd place finish is possible there.

liberty_Forever
01-05-2008, 02:29 AM
There are some issues between the grassroots and the campaign. This is a simple issue that can be solved with effective communications.

dircha
01-05-2008, 02:52 AM
Most of the criticism I have read has been from people wanting the official campaign to run all out for young, independent, libertarian voters.

That might be a good strategy in a select few states, it might be a good general election strategy, but I don't think it is a strategy to win the Republican nomination, and that is the contest Congressman Paul is committed to.

liberty_Forever
01-05-2008, 02:53 AM
There is an open letter circulating which clearly articulates our concerns.

You can find it in a post from earlier today under the Grassroots Central forum.

TheIndependent
01-05-2008, 02:56 AM
Brad, fix your NJ link.